AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

This is the list I'm planning on running at a con event in March.

Gloomspite have a lot of themes you can build on, so the two I've focused on are: 'Wizards' and '-1 to Hit'.

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz - Mortal Realm: Ghur

LEADERS

Skragrott, The Loonking (220) - General 
-Lore of the Moonclans : The Hand of Gork

Loonboss on Mangler Squigs (300)
- Artefact : Gryph-feather Charm

Webspinner Shaman on Arachnarok Spider (300)
- Artefact : Headdress of Many Eyes
- Lore of the Spiderfangs : Sneaky Distraction

UNITS
60 x Stabbas (360)
- Pokin Spears & Moon Shields
- 9 x Barbed Nets
- 1 x Moonclan Flag Bearers
- 1 x Badmoon Icon Bearers

20 x Stabbas (130)
- Stabbas & Moon Shields
- 3 x  Barbed Nets
- 1 x  Moonclan Flag Bearers
- 1 x  Badmoon Icon Bearers

6 x Squig Herd (70)

5 x Loonsmasha Fanatics (140)
1 x Boggleye (48): Itchy Nuisance
-Lore of the Moonclans : 
1 x Brewgit (48)
1 x Scaremonger (48)
1 x Shroomancer (48): 
-Lore of the Moonclans : Call da Moon
1 x Spiker (48)

BATTALIONS
Gobbapalooza (110)

ENDLESS SPELLS
Mork's Mighty Mushroom (80)
Scrapskuttle's Arachnacauldron (50)

TOTAL: 2000/2000     EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1     WOUNDS: 147
LEADERS: 3/6    BATTLELINES: 3 (3+)    BEHEMOTHS: 2/4    ARTILLERY: 0/4
ARTEFACTS: 2/2    ALLIES: 0/40

So, quick rundown:

I have 4 wizards with +1 to Cast, and 2 of those with +1 to unbind. Throw in the Arachnacauldron for +1 more on top of both for one of the wizards. The Arachnarok Shaman or one of the Gobbapalooza are Mighty Mushroom delivery boys. If I'm feeling confident that the Arachnarok can handle the inevitable focus fire, I'll deep strike it with Hand of Gork, pop the Mushroom as far as I can allow, and then finish up with Sneaky Distraction so that anything coming into it is at a potential -2 to hit. Even if either spell fails, I figure the Shaman on Spider will do a great job of distracting my opponent. If I expect the Arachnarok to die almost immediately, I send in one of the Gobbapalooza wizards to kamikaze for the glory of the Bad Moon. I will attribute the MMMbomb idea to Tom from this week's episode of Warhammer Weekly!

All the Stabbas are protected by -1 to hit in melee, potentially contributing this benefit to the Loonboss if it's nearby (who has his own -1 to hit artefact). Shroomancer potentially adds another -1 to hit, as well as making the Stabbas killier.

Overall the goal is for the list to be as annoying to deal with as possible, which mostly involves the Stabbas being a gross tarpit to get rid of, while the Loonboss and wizards deal with the big threats. 

Thoughts? I know Gobbapalooza are not the most efficient unit you can take, but I love them, and I think they do some really useful tricksy stuff in this list (as well as being wizards for scoring objectives). Though, I'm already weighing the benefits of just replacing them with their weight in Bounderz. Other changes I'm considering is seeing if I can fit in Geminids somewhere, as it contributes to both of the themes I've focused on.

• Like 3

Does anyone thing it's worth bringing the gobbapalooza in a squigbased list? Boggleeye and Shroomancer seem great, but I don't think it's worth it when 3/5ths of the unit wont really help the rest of your army. Which is a shame because their models are so much fun.

There are so many squig-realted lists, but now I am thinking on a pure grot list, with some casting.

The plan is to buff up a 40 and 60 unit of grots as the front line and keep the line. sporesplattas, snufflers are buffing them, and the loonboss is spreading the command ability to them. While this 2 units are holding the line, the wizards are spreading their love.  First of all drop the mushroom in the back of their frontlines. this will be a stable dmg dealer until unbided(If I am the second in the 1st turn, the dmg will be caused twice, once for the summoning and once for the new battle round.). Geminids will help to decrease more the hits and attacks of enemy units, so the grots can hold the line longer. The 3rd unit of grots will be sent behind the frontlines as well, and release the fanatics against those who are moved away from the mushroom.

What do you think? Or what would you change in this list?

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz

Leaders
Skragrott, The Loonking (220)
- General
- Lore of the Moonclans: The Hand of Gork
Loonboss (70)
- Artefact: The Clammy cowl 
Battleline
60 x Stabbas (360)
- Stabbas & Moon Shields
- 9x Barbed Nets
- 2x Moonclan Flag Bearers
- 1x Badmoon Icon Bearers
40 x Stabbas (260)
- Stabbas & Moon Shields
- 6x Barbed Nets
- 1x Moonclan Flag Bearers
40 x Stabbas (260)
- Stabbas & Moon Shields
- 6x Barbed Nets
- 1x Moonclan Flag Bearers
Units
1 x Boggleye (48)- The Great Green Spite
1 x Shroomancer (48)- The Great Green Spite
1 x Brewgit (48)
1 x Scaremonger (48)
1 x Spiker (48)
5 x Loonsmasha Fanatics (140)
5 x Loonsmasha Fanatics (140)
5 x Sporesplatta Fanatics (120)
5 x Sneaky Snufflers (70)

Endless Spells
Mork's Mighty Mushroom (80)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 194

18 hours ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

im currently working on a boss on giant cave squig, i have 3 hoppers chained together and the boss is a new loonsmasha fanatic so it looks like he is being flung about.

I was planning on doing exactly this! Like a mini-mangler squig.

• LOVE IT! 1

7 hours ago, bearstronaut said:

1 x Boggleye (48): Itchy Nuisance
-Lore of the Moonclans : 
1 x Brewgit (48)
1 x Scaremonger (48)
1 x Shroomancer (48): 
-Lore of the Moonclans : Call da Moon
1 x Spiker (48)

Just so you know, the Gobbapalooza can't take spells from the Lore of the Moonclan as they lack the Hero keyword which is required to do so. It limits their usefulness but with the endless spells you are actually fixing it that somewhat. 

EDIT: 

2 hours ago, SzPtr said:

1 x Boggleye (48)- The Great Green Spite
1 x Shroomancer (48)- The Great Green Spite

Same thing, you can't take the Lore spells with them.

Edited by Malakree

19 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Just so you know, the Gobbapalooza can't take spells from the Lore of the Moonclan as they lack the Hero keyword which is required to do so. It limits their usefulness but with the endless spells you are actually fixing it that somewhat. 

Yeah I missed that and Azyr tricked me

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Just so you know, the Gobbapalooza can't take spells from the Lore of the Moonclan as they lack the Hero keyword which is required to do so. It limits their usefulness but with the endless spells you are actually fixing it that somewhat. 

Yeah I missed that and Azyr tricked me

However in this case I can live without that spell for the gobbapalooza,  or I could decrease the 60 stabba to 40, so I will have Fungoid Cave shaman in the frontline to cast this spell. But not sure that is really needed.

39 minutes ago, SzPtr said:

However in this case I can live without that spell for the gobbapalooza,  or I could decrease the 60 stabba to 40, so I will have Fungoid Cave shaman in the frontline to cast this spell. But not sure that is really needed.

Shift to 60x60x20 Stabbas, this will free up 30 points. 
Shift one of the Loonsmasha units into a Sporesplata unit freeing up another 20 points.
Spend those 50 points to get the Arachnocauldron. 

You can then cast Arachnocauldron on the Gobbapalooza in order to give them access to the entire Lore of the Moonclan, also works really well on Skragrott. Since you have a lot of stabbas you can easily offload the d3 mortals each turn. Also remember that your wizards can cast your endless spells or realm spells if they are in use.

I think the Gobbapalooza is really good for your list since you've built it so heavily around Grots so you actually make good use of all of them. If you do the tweaks I suggested it lets you increase their utility rather than drop them.

As a side note "Puffshroom Frenzy" specifically says. 

At the start of your hero phase, friendly Moonclan Grots units wholly within 12" of any friendly units with this ability become frenzied until your next hero phase. Add 1 to the attacks characteristic of melee weapons used by frenzied units.

Which while not exactly clear suggests that if a unit is wholly within 12" of two sporesplatas, but not 1, they would still be affected by the buff. If this were not the case then it would read "...wholly within 12" of a friendly unit..." however it explicitly uses language towards multiple units.

That means the second Sporesplata unit can be used to cover part of a grot unit not affected by the first, thus giving you large coverage with that stabba unit on your front line.

23 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Shift to 60x60x20 Stabbas, this will free up 30 points. 
Shift one of the Loonsmasha units into a Sporesplata unit freeing up another 20 points.
Spend those 50 points to get the Arachnocauldron. 

You can then cast Arachnocauldron on the Gobbapalooza in order to give them access to the entire Lore of the Moonclan, also works really well on Skragrott. Since you have a lot of stabbas you can easily offload the d3 mortals each turn. Also remember that your wizards can cast your endless spells or realm spells if they are in use.

Sounds as an interesting idea, but not so sure how good would be that 20-stabba-unit, however putting in them the fanatics would be a cheaper backstab after they are wiped out behind the frontlines. What maybe concerns me, is that 2 huge blob of stabbas would be durable enough for a 2k game. A second unit of Loonsmasha  could be handy dealing with bigger guys such as stonehorn, mawkrusha etc. Well, I will have to test both builds to check results :D 

19 hours ago, novakai said:

also Carrion Empire is set up in Chamon too, so we have Flesh eaters, Skaven, Gloomsipite Gitz, all fighting in that realm currently So it seems that GW  is maybe hinting at something.

Actually Chamon is the home realm of the Kharadron Overlords as well - for obvious reasons.  So yeah that's a lot of stuff happening in that realm. I could definitely see some plot developements happening in that area.  Cool stuff - it happens to be my favorite of the Mortal Realms.

• Like 1

How have people been finding the Endless Spells in this army?  Any clear MVP's for you folks?  I feel like I want to use the mushroom in a quasi-competetive way, but I'm just not sure it's going to work out.

Are the spiders worth it for non-Spiderfang casters?

I have a decent amount of spell-using opponents.  Has the bad moon spell been useful at all?

Edited by mikethefish

4 hours ago, Malakree said:

EDIT: 

Same thing, you can't take the Lore spells with them.

I thought the only thing required for picking from a spell lore is the Wizard keyword. Becauses if not, what is with all the Tzeentch lists I see with Pink Horrors picking from their spell lores?

ODE TO A GREEN SHEEN YEARN

My Gitmob mob were quite bereft

To find that they had all been left 

To fade away into the past 

And in the role of legend cast

But then a Fungoid Shaman came

And told them of another game:

"I'll be frank - it's best for you"

He mooted to that motley crew

And so that Fungoid Shaman, Frank,

Led the Gitmob to the Dank.

And now they're such a happy crew-

Cos they're all tanked on mushroom brew!

Edited by Aelfric
  • Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 1

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet (wow 78 pages), but if your opponent is cunning and leaves your Mangler Squig in the 'middle range' of the damage table for his worst stat profile, have the Arachnacauldron take a bite out of it to deal D3 mortal wounds and motivate it a bit :) There is a very high chance you will at least get to the 2nd best stat profile, and a 1/3 chance to be fully operational if the Mangler was dealt 7 wounds. It's in the hero phase, doesn't cost you anything like a spell cast use, and it gives you a 'free' turn with the Arachnacauldron.

• Like 2

On 1/18/2019 at 1:11 PM, Skabnoze said:

Maybe I could use it as another Loonboss with Giant Cave Sqiug - where Grumlok takes the place of the Squig.  I think I have more than one, so I can put one together normally and then do something else with the other one.

OMG HOW DID I NOT THINK OF THAT!!!! Consider that stolen!

1 hour ago, bearstronaut said:

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet (wow 78 pages), but if your opponent is cunning and leaves your Mangler Squig in the 'middle range' of the damage table for his worst stat profile, have the Arachnacauldron take a bite out of it to deal D3 mortal wounds and motivate it a bit :) There is a very high chance you will at least get to the 2nd best stat profile, and a 1/3 chance to be fully operational if the Mangler was dealt 7 wounds. It's in the hero phase, doesn't cost you anything like a spell cast use, and it gives you a 'free' turn with the Arachnacauldron.

Thats definitely an option but I think just being a scary in your face monster that it wont last long once its charged into your opponent. They will be forced to deal with it immediately till its dead dead

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, mikethefish said:

How have people been finding the Endless Spells in this army?  Any clear MVP's for you folks?  I feel like I want to use the mushroom in a quasi-competetive way, but I'm just not sure it's going to work out.

Are the spiders worth it for non-Spiderfang casters?

I have a decent amount of spell-using opponents.  Has the bad moon spell been useful at all?

Ive only ever had the pts spare for scuttle(squig😉😄)tide and its work a treat every game. I would like to use the Malevolent Moon but i cant squeeze it in.

13 hours ago, Filie said:

Does anyone thing it's worth bringing the gobbapalooza in a squigbased list? Boggleeye and Shroomancer seem great, but I don't think it's worth it when 3/5ths of the unit wont really help the rest of your army. Which is a shame because their models are so much fun.

I really want the Boogleye in my Squig list and the Shroomancer is good too even if his spell is quite short ranged, But the Scaremonger, Brewgit and Spiker do absolutely nothing for Squigs... There best use is to mess up enemies movement and claim objectives. Other than that you are essentially paying 120pts for each Wizard.... If the Scaremonger affected Squigs i would be extremely tempted, as Squigs are also sun light hating creatures. The Spiker would of been great for Boingrots and the Brewgit would buff up the crazy melee potential of the Mangler Boss.

Sadly I think they excluded Squigs as you would probably not see normal Moonclan Grots if Squigs could get the same buffs. If it werent for the superior squad size of the Goblins and the Loonshrine you would probably never see them over Squig Herd. Unless of course you like Fanatics then you need the Goblins for that. 

16 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

I really want the Boogleye in my Squig list and the Shroomancer is good too even if his spell is quite short ranged, But the Scaremonger, Brewgit and Spiker do absolutely nothing for Squigs... There best use is to mess up enemies movement and claim objectives. Other than that you are essentially paying 120pts for each Wizard.... If the Scaremonger affected Squigs i would be extremely tempted, as Squigs are also sun light hating creatures. The Spiker would of been great for Boingrots and the Brewgit would buff up the crazy melee potential of the Mangler Boss.

Sadly I think they excluded Squigs as you would probably not see normal Moonclan Grots if Squigs could get the same buffs. If it werent for the superior squad size of the Goblins and the Loonshrine you would probably never see them over Squig Herd. Unless of course you like Fanatics then you need the Goblins for that. 

Yeah you're most likely right. It's such a shame too, because even disregarding the neat spells, I really like the models, but I can't really justify bringing them in a (primarily) squig force.

1 minute ago, Filie said:

Yeah you're most likely right. It's such a shame too, because even disregarding the neat spells, I really like the models, but I can't really justify bringing them in a (primarily) squig force.

I think they are probably key to a pure Moonclan Grot force though, when they apply all there buffs onto 1 unit, that unit suddenly becomes very scary with its melee output. What ive done with my Gobbappalooza characters is model them with my Squigs. My Shrromancer is on A Squig, my Boggleye is mesmerizing a bunch of little squigs, my Brewgit is a Squig Salesman, my Scaremonger is the Mangler Boss and the Spiker ive converted his potion basket on Gobbla to use as the Cauldron as i dint really like its model.

Ive also sawed away the spiders from the Scuttletide (and donated them to my mate that plays Spiderfang) and replaced them with Cave Squigs, Hoppers and 1 of the pair of Manglers. Ive kept the Moon and Mushroom the same.

the thing with squigs is that there not as much combat buff for them compare to Moonclan and Spiderfang armies, the only two are the Mangler boss Command ability and Sneaky Snuffler. their thing is really hitting the enemy fast and as hard they can to do a lot of damage.

TBH I thing most competent army list probably has to have a backbone of grot infantry (or even trolls) to hold the back line sturdy and support.

1 minute ago, novakai said:

the thing with squigs is that there not as much combat buff for them compare to Moonclan and Spiderfang armies, the only two are the Mangler boss Command ability and Sneaky Snuffler. their thing is really hitting the enemy fast and as hard they can to do a lot of damage.

TBH I thing most competent army list probably has to have a backbone of grot infantry (or even trolls) to hold the back line sturdy and support.

If you compare the standard combat capabilities of each battleline unit I think thats why Squigs have less combat buffs than the other 2.

A Grot is 1 attack 4s and 3s for 6.5pts per wound

A Spider is 2 ranged attacks at 5s and 5s, 1 melee attack at 5s and 4s and 2 melee attacks at 4s and 4s with 6s to hit being a MW all for 10pts per wound

A Squig is 2 attacks 4s and 3s rend 1 for 5.83pts a wound

So just off a points per wound basis the humble cave Squig is beating the other 2 in combat naturally. What we are looking at is 24 wounds for 140pts, 20 wounds for 130pts and 20 wounds for 100pts. The Squigs being the most expensive option also has the best attacks without support from the Moon, spells or abilities.

That is the main difference between them and Spiderfang + Moonclan Grots, they dont need much support, they just do their thing from the get go, Once you start applying buffs to the other 2 options they start to outclass the Squigs but you can only every buff one unit with all the buffs unless you have CPs to spam abilities and you roll a 10+ to affect D3 Spiderfang units.