AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

5 minutes ago, Gumbalina said:

I'm running something very similiar but I do think that a loonboss on mangler isn't great as for those 60pts it gains the weakness of being a hero and only a few mediocre attacks. The cowl is good but a base mangler can be apart of the stampede for those important rerolls.   I think you will want to have squig lure to allow your squigs to work without the moon and the mushroom is very good but may back fire if you roll low.  

If you made that small change you could buy another shaman or a standard loonboss to use his command ability on the 60 grots

I'm using the boss for this command ability, but that may not be worth losing the movement reroll for an extra 60.

4 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

What would you trade out for the colossal squig or the gobbas? From my game against them using squigs, i found that the MWs i dealt did the most damage, the rend of the squigs becomes useless. You want ways of dealing a lot of saves so snufflers with those 60 grots would be pretty good! Do you happen to know what your opponent will take? If he goes down the bravery route you may suffer looses that way unless you hung your shrine which then restricts your movement,or your willing to spend CPs on inspiring prescience.  

I would trade the loonking for a fungoid and remove the boss on giant gave squig and mork's mighty mushroom for either 2x gobbas or 1 colossal

24 minutes ago, Gumbalina said:

I'm running something very similiar but I do think that a loonboss on mangler isn't great as for those 60pts it gains the weakness of being a hero and only a few mediocre attacks. The cowl is good but a base mangler can be apart of the stampede for those important rerolls.   I think you will want to have squig lure to allow your squigs to work without the moon and the mushroom is very good but may back fire if you roll low.  

If you made that small change you could buy another shaman or a standard loonboss to use his command ability on the 60 grots

Depending on how you kit out your Mangler Boss you can subvert the random movement. My favourite so far has been the Thermalrider Cloak paired with the Loonboss on Giant Cave Squigs command ability. 3D6 +7" of movement is very good and then either add in Da Bad Moon or Squig Lure and thats then an extra D6 movement on top of that which you can make a 6" if you have the CPs to spend so he can get places you want very fast without having the rerollable movement like the normal Mangler does in the Stampede. Im not sure im following your weakness of being a Hero, usually things that affect Heroes also affect monsters (Sword of Judgement for example) and he then also gets to claim objectives in certain missions where a normal Mangler wouldnt be to. If you then factor in his own command ability, for each Squig unit wholly within 18" hes boosting there wound output by 16% ontop of the (mediocre) 5 extra rendless swings that can get a once per game reroll to hit and wound benefit. 

In every game ive used him in hes done work and over time, quite a few scenarios he has won me the game.

Edited by Ekrund Oath Splitters

11 minutes ago, Professor Clio said:

I'm using the boss for this command ability, but that may not be worth losing the movement reroll for an extra 60.

I would trade the loonking for a fungoid and remove the boss on giant gave squig and mork's mighty mushroom for either 2x gobbas or 1 colossal

Do you usually have any luck with Gobbas? Every time ive used them they wiff haha!!! His melee is pretty dang good but i always find his shooting to be lack luster.

38 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

Do you usually have any luck with Gobbas? Every time ive used them they wiff haha!!! His melee is pretty dang good but i always find his shooting to be lack luster.

I haven't used them since they changed the warscroll. I mathed it out to causing about 10 wounds a turn to big units with both, which is pretty poor for 320 points but the 30inch range and no need for LOS is appealing...

6 minutes ago, Professor Clio said:

I haven't used them since they changed the warscroll. I mathed it out to causing about 10 wounds a turn to big units with both, which is pretty poor for 320 points but the 30inch range and no need for LOS is appealing...

Hmmm what about using them as allied Rock Lobbas for the time being, 200pts for 2, theyre more accurate with a longer range but only 3 damage a pop.

And against Nighthaunt wouldnt each Gobba only do 2 damage? 3 hits, 2 wound, 1 save, 2 damage on average? So 4 over all between the 2?

12 minutes ago, Professor Clio said:

How is there size vs the shrine, can they park behind that and spit away with impunity all game? Could be worth the points in chaff clear, more so if they can sit on a home objective while they do it.

4 minutes ago, McGangsta said:

How is there size vs the shrine, can they park behind that and spit away with impunity all game? Could be worth the points in chaff clear, more so if they can sit on a home objective while they do it.

They can, but the more I think about it the less I think they’re worth their points. Just not a high enough impact. 

12 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

And against Nighthaunt wouldnt each Gobba only do 2 damage? 3 hits, 2 wound, 1 save, 2 damage on average? So 4 over all between the 2?

Yeah I redid the math and it’s even worse than I thought, 7 wounds on units of over 10 models. Shame, they’re great looking models. 

11 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

@Ekrund Oath Splitters whats your 2k list looking like? Im going to build another list at work. Going to try a Mangler route. Probably 2x10 Bounderz as well

The one i tried out wednesday just gone was this, I have some tweaks to do to it:

Loonboss on Mangler Squig with Fight another Day and Thermalrider Cloak

Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig 

Fungoid Cave Shaman with Itchy Nuisance

Fungoid Cave Shaman with Squig Lure

10 Squig Hoppers

10 Squig Hoppers

24 Squig Herd

15 Boingrots Bounders

Colossal Squig

Squig Rider Stampede

Scuttletide

I do feel like i need some Moonclan Grots in the list just to add numbers and actually make use of the Shrine, but so far ive been satisfied with the mobility and punch that the squigs bring. 

Ive found that the one two punch of the Hoppers + Bounders has been invaluable. Paired with the Manglerboss, i have controlled combats that i need to and ive been able to pick and choose my fights on my terms. Whilst random movement is well.. random, dont let it fool you, squigs are still quick. The furthest my Boss has ever gone is 24" before charging (rolled a 6, 5, 3 and 3 + then 7 from the Cloak and CA).

8 minutes ago, Professor Clio said:

They can, but the more I think about it the less I think they’re worth their points. Just not a high enough impact. 

Yeah I redid the math and it’s even worse than I thought, 7 wounds on units of over 10 models. Shame, they’re great looking models. 

Yeah they look amazing, ive just never had luck with mine sadly. However saying that you dont really need a LOS ignoring weapon, Squigs have fly (except Herd) so if your cautious with your placement and have a reserve unit you can easily reach out and put pressure on units that they thought they were well hidden. If i had the choice i would take the Colossal Squig over the Gobbas, but vs Nighthaunt i would take something that gets you more attacks for cheap like more Squig Herd or Goblins and maybe a unit of Snufflers to enhance them further. Squigs with 3 attacks each and under your Manglerboss' CA will need 4s and 2s, even with the ethereal saves you should be causing quite impact and then when you flee to battleshock you will take out more with you.  

40 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

The one i tried out wednesday just gone was this, I have some tweaks to do to it:

Loonboss on Mangler Squig with Fight another Day and Thermalrider Cloak

Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig 

Fungoid Cave Shaman with Itchy Nuisance

Fungoid Cave Shaman with Squig Lure

10 Squig Hoppers

10 Squig Hoppers

24 Squig Herd

15 Boingrots Bounders

Colossal Squig

Squig Rider Stampede

Scuttletide

I do feel like i need some Moonclan Grots in the list just to add numbers and actually make use of the Shrine, but so far ive been satisfied with the mobility and punch that the squigs bring. 

Ive found that the one two punch of the Hoppers + Bounders has been invaluable. Paired with the Manglerboss, i have controlled combats that i need to and ive been able to pick and choose my fights on my terms. Whilst random movement is well.. random, dont let it fool you, squigs are still quick. The furthest my Boss has ever gone is 24" before charging (rolled a 6, 5, 3 and 3 + then 7 from the Cloak and CA).

You prefer one max uni of 15 over more then one smaller unit of Bounderz?

I have found out thought the Loonboss on Mangler squig is very suceptable to shooting though or at least to the point where he get bracketed to the place where he has terrible movement and stats that he couldn't move anywhere useful until he took damage to get back to the good bracket. that what i suspect that his weakness is being really unreilable glass cannon if your not careful

Preparing to running this list... Still waiting for my Colossal Squig to arrive..
It will either that or 15 Boingrot Bounderz for the same points.

Main punching force is the 15 Fanatics with Hand of Gork! I wonder how many can survive a successful charge?
With the Sporesplatta protection and Skragrott 4+ wound/mortal save, my Hand of Gork will not be easy to shut down.

Any thoughts? Which you think is better? 15 BoingrotBounderz or 1 Colossal Squig? 

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz
Mortal Realm: Chamon

Leaders
Skragrott, The Loonking (220)
- General
- Lore of the Moonclans: The Hand of Gork
Loonboss (70)
- Artefact: Spiteful Prodder 
Madcap Shaman (80)
- Lore of the Moonclans: The Great Green Spite
Madcap Shaman (80)
- Lore of the Moonclans: Call da Moon

Battleline
20 x Shootas (130)
- 3x Barbed Nets
- 1x Moonclan Flag Bearers
60 x Stabbas (360)
- Pokin Spears & Moon Shields
- 9x Barbed Nets
- 2x Moonclan Flag Bearers
- 1x Badmoon Icon Bearers
6 x Squig Herd (70)

Units
15 x Loonsmasha Fanatics (420)
5 x Sporesplatta Fanatics (120)
5 x Sneaky Snufflers (70)

Behemoths
Colossal Squig (300)

Endless Spells
Scuttletide (30)
Malevolent Moon (50)

MOON LOONSHRINE!!!!! (0)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 157

8 hours ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

We could debate this all night and i fully respect your views on the Dankhold Troggboss, but me and many others in my gaming group see him as a weaker hero as a whole when viewing our options in context.

Sure, but irrelevant. I was arguing that he is the tankiest of the three. Which he is. Anything beyond that is debating usefullness, which I have no intention of getting into.

8 hours ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

I on the otherhand am not one to go off statistics. I like to mathammer like everyone else but when it comes down to it ingame experience trumps theoryhammer. 

I agree with this, and I'm not a mathhammer person myself (you haven't seen me throw up a graph yet, and probably never will ;)

But facts are facts, and sometimes statistics show a truth you can't argue with using ingame experience; Troggboss is tankier (superior defensively, not equal) than Mangler Squig and Webspinner Arachnarock. The Troggboss has access to defensive stats that the other two can never achieve on account of being monsters, or not having access to the same traits, while also having a notably smaller footprint, making it easier to screen.

This is the argument. Talking about anything else, i.e usefulness, or best choice, is not relevant, because I'm not making any claims about those. My views are not represented, because this is an objective truth: Troggboss is the tankiest of the three. 

Also, your playgroup could be the top 10 players in the world, and I'd still have to tell you that their positioning is off if they get their Troggboss murdered in scenarios that you first described (with the squigs) - Status or number of people does not equal a better argument. The argument itself is the only factor. 

Or we could start throwing our accomplishments around, if that's how you want to back up statements. Not my cup of tea; I've never lost a tournament. My friends are highly competitive - Which is irrelevant to the argument, so you should disregard it, as will I yours.

So if we're going to debate more, please keep it strictly to the actual statement ;)

Edited by Mayple

Im trying to dial this in but after rereading a lot of pages i think im getting closer. Im liking the idea of going magic heavy for a bit more tactical flexibility. I like the idea of Hoppers softening up a good target for the Bounderz to smash into. Lots of magic support here. I was considering dropping the Mangler and picking up the Balewind for the Webspinner to use and maybe either the DoomShroom or SpiderTide as well. Both of them are amazing for MW output and huge area denial allowing you to manipulate the battlefield. The Webspinner on a Balewind could really hamstring enemy units from afar which would extent the lifespan of my guys while SpiderSham + WalkingBowl could cast Itchy Nuisance. Buuuut on the other hand keeping this list will have real threat and stopping power without really needing all the fancy magics

Also to consider maybe dropping a unit of Bounderz and upping the other one to 15.

Leaders
Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig (110)
- General
- Trait: Dead Shouty 
- Artefact: The Clammy cowl 
Webspinner Shaman on Arachnarok Spider (300)
- Artefact: Headdress of Many Eyes 
- Lore of the Spiderfangs: Gift of da Spider God
Madcap Shaman (80)
Webspinner Shaman (80)
- Lore of the Spiderfangs: Sneaky Distraction
10 x Squig Hoppers (180)
18 x Squig Herd (210)
18 x Squig Herd (210)
10 x Boingrot Bounderz (200)
10 x Boingrot Bounderz (200)
Mangler Squigs (240)
Squig Rider Stampede (140)
Scrapskuttle's Arachnacauldron (50)
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 172

Edited by Malakithe
  • Like 1

Sorry for the list spam lol just too many thoughts and idea in this shroom addled head...took out the Webspinner and Mangler. I like the idea of the Rockguts as they are tanky and have good consistent damage. I was thinking of a unit of 6 but battleshock might ****** them over plus with multiple units you have more opportunities for the ranged MW ability. The Sneaky Snufflers will turn Herds into blenders. Im at work so I dont remember if they can affect Rockguts or not. If they can then thats even more damage potential. The Hoppers will soften up whoever the Bounderz smash into and SpiderSham will still be casting Itchy Nuisance on whatever the Bounderz are attacking. 3x12 Herds give good board coverage and board control.

Now some might think the Troggs are slow and yes they are buuuut at the same time everything in the range is slow except for Squig riders and Spiders. Everything else has to walk anyway. Unless Hand of Gork'd.

- General
Madcap Shaman (80)
10 x Squig Hoppers (180)
12 x Squig Herd (140)
12 x Squig Herd (140)
12 x Squig Herd (140)
15 x Boingrot Bounderz (300)
3 x Rockgut Troggoths (160)
5 x Sneaky Snufflers (70)
Scuttletide (30)
Wounds: 180

Edited by Malakithe
Okay the Sneaky guys dont affect Troggs. Bummer
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, solosam47 said:

I may have missed it earlier in the thread but what’s people’s gobbapalooza shamans? I don’t have the book but I see on azyr they are like 240 pts a piece! How is 3 wound models worth that?!?

They are 48pts each but you have to take them all and there is 5 of them plus the battalion

• Thanks 1

Tweaked some numbers to the previous list. 

Spoiler

- General
Madcap Shaman (80)
15 x Squig Hoppers (270)
12 x Squig Herd (140)
12 x Squig Herd (140)
12 x Squig Herd (140)
15 x Boingrot Bounderz (300)
Total: 1990 / 2000
Wounds: 180

Made another list for fun...it actually looks like it would be a grind to hit against lol 

Spoiler

- General
- Moon-cutta
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
Madcap Shaman (80)
- Artefact: Moonface Mommet 
- Lore of the Moonclans: Itchy Nuisance
10 x Squig Hoppers (180)