AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

19 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

Bit of a bargain ain't it! 

I honestly have not paid attention to the cost.  When you already have about 20 banner bearers (some custom conversions for the old Army Standard Bearer heroes), 10+ shaman, and 4 Bosses riding Giant Squigs then the Forgeworld set is not a high priority purchase.  I mainly want it for the collectors aspect.  I own 1 copy of every night goblin and squig model that GW has made since the early 90s and some of the Forgeworld stuff is the only exception to that and I should probably remedy that while they are easy to get.

Edited by Skabnoze
  • LOVE IT! 2

I love goblins so much that I don't just get the ones from GW either.  Anything that looks like a fun goblin model, or better yet something close to a Night Goblin, and I am likely to just impulse buy it.  I have a couple copies of most of the goblin models from Avatars of War (looks like they have a new one I need to get), a bunch from Gamezone, a bunch of old Confrontation goblins, and the odd model from other companies here and there.  One thing about the new Gloomspite models that I am really excited about is that they have brought over the Brian Froud goblin aesthetic (think Labyrinth the movie) and Confrontation already used that aesthetic a lot.  I never did much with the Confrontation models I bought simply because the aesthetic did not quite line up with the traditional Night Goblin look and I had other conversion projects on my plate.  But now that GW has already bridged that gap the Confrontation models fit right in with the Bounders and many other new models.  So I will be pulling those guys out soon and working them into some of my new projects!

I also have two or so copies of the limited edition Grumlok & Gazbag models from the Warhammer Online Collector's edition in a bin somewhere.  I'm trying to decide what to do with them.  I could use them as a Greenskinz warboss, an Ironjawz Mega boss, an Ironjawz shaman, or try to fit them into a Gloomspite army.  Maybe I could use it as another Loonboss with Giant Cave Sqiug - where Grumlok takes the place of the Squig.  I think I have more than one, so I can put one together normally and then do something else with the other one.

I should probably truck all this junk out into one place so I can sort through it and figure out what models I should build into specific things and which others I would like to incorporate as scenic elements into larger models so that these cool little guys don't just sit around never getting used.  Like adding them onto my Colossal Squig.

Edited by Skabnoze
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

8 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Okay I revised my list. Im still iffy on the Madcap. Its just so squishy. But if he does survive he can cast one or two of those great spells he has. The SpiderSham will have the Cauldron to back up the Loonboss and Bounderz as the mobile heavy hitters. I like seeing the Derpface Boss in the list as I think he is underrated. He can potentially destroy entire units and slay any non-mounted hero. He is also the tankiest hero/unit in the range. 

Its not as heavy on bodies as other lists but it brings confusion and target saturation. Ignore the Herds and they will rip you apart due to Itchy Nuisance being cast and right behind them is the Troggboss. The Bounderz will likely be in your face t1 at the earliest with the Loonboss CA plus Squig Lure so they will need attention drawn to deal with them, which will leave my other units free to do stuff. The Troggboss needs some dedicated firepower to take down which if he draws fire then he is doing his job. And lastly those that try to shoot the spider will have -1 to hit and then he will heal himself with the spider spell.

Edit: not sure what trait to give the General or what 2nd item to give to whoever.

Leaders
Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig (110)
- General
Webspinner Shaman on Arachnarok Spider (300)
- Artefact: Headdress of Many Eyes 
- Lore of the Spiderfangs: Curse of da Spider God
Madcap Shaman (80)
- Lore of the Moonclans: Itchy Nuisance
Dankhold Troggboss (300)

Battleline
18 x Squig Herd (210)
18 x Squig Herd (210)
10 x Squig Hoppers (180)

Units
10 x Boingrot Bounderz (200)
10 x Boingrot Bounderz (200)

Battalions
Squig Rider Stampede (140)

Endless Spells
Scrapskuttle's Arachnacauldron (50)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 168

The Troggboss isnt the tankiest in the range, i would say the Webspinner Shaman on Arok is the toughest. With a 4+ save and only 12 wounds he has the same durability as a Loonboss on Mangler, if someone can deal with those 12 wounds in one round of combat he is dead, also his mobility is also a factor of his survivability, as he moves quite slow he cant avoid harm or pressure units and destroy units first that would otherwise cause him harm. If and when he gets to regen maybe too late. Too make him the tankiest you will need to take the trait that adds +2 wounds to his profile or where he is always classed as being under the moon and then take the artefact that gives him a 4+ after save. Whilst his 4+ to ignore spell affects is cute and may save him he is still vulnerable to melee.

With the headress of many eyes and sneaky distractions, the Webspinner Shaman on Arok is by far the most durable and can heal D6 aswell + dispel spells. It may be better to take a group of rockguts over him (more wounds more durable more more punch) and use the spare points to fill out your battleline more and get a couple more utility heroes.

24 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

I believe if you take a realm artefact you cant take your allegiance ones. 

No, you select a single realm and then those artefacts become available alongside your own allegiance ones. You can then select any number in any combination from both of them.

This has been confirmed and in use since it's release last year. I cba to find out where it is but I know the rules are there.

42 minutes ago, Amradiel said:

Weapon of choice on the Stabbas?

Honestly? I'd say it's irrelevant. Stabbas aren't there for their amazing damage output, even in a build that buffs them. For smaller units the titular stabba is going to be better just because you don't have the numbers to properly make use of spears, once you get up to 40/60 though the +1 to hit is going to cancel out against the 50% increase in attacks (from 3 ranks instead of 2). 

The only situation it's going to matter is if the unit has at least -2 to hit on them. In that situation both the stabbas and the spears will be 6+ to hit and you want the extra attacks.

Given the latter point and the availability of -hit at the moment I would say that you want spears for the larger units.

1 hour ago, amysrevenge said:

Even more, it's "any of your artefacts" from "either or both" lists.

To be fair, that bit refers to both the realm lists (E.g. weapons or relics from ghyran). But it’s still ok to mix realm artefacts with allegiance artefacts, as in the second bit - “you could choose to take one of your artefacts ...” etc etc

Edited by Baron Wastelands

4 hours ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

The Troggboss isnt the tankiest in the range, i would say the Webspinner Shaman on Arok is the toughest. With a 4+ save and only 12 wounds he has the same durability as a Loonboss on Mangler, if someone can deal with those 12 wounds in one round of combat he is dead, also his mobility is also a factor of his survivability, as he moves quite slow he cant avoid harm or pressure units and destroy units first that would otherwise cause him harm. If and when he gets to regen maybe too late. Too make him the tankiest you will need to take the trait that adds +2 wounds to his profile or where he is always classed as being under the moon and then take the artefact that gives him a 4+ after save. Whilst his 4+ to ignore spell affects is cute and may save him he is still vulnerable to melee.

With the headress of many eyes and sneaky distractions, the Webspinner Shaman on Arok is by far the most durable and can heal D6 aswell + dispel spells. It may be better to take a group of rockguts over him (more wounds more durable more more punch) and use the spare points to fill out your battleline more and get a couple more utility heroes.

Ahh fair points. Ill be looking at the list again

4 hours ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

The Troggboss isnt the tankiest in the range, i would say the Webspinner Shaman on Arok is the toughest. With a 4+ save and only 12 wounds he has the same durability as a Loonboss on Mangler,

But the Troggboss has one massive advantage over his counterparts: he is not a monster.

So all in all, he..

- Benefits from look out sir

- Benefits from cover (putting him at a 3+ save)

- Ignores harmfull spell effects on a 4+

- access to command traits as general, which the webspinner does not. This can give him a whole bunch of stuff, but notable options for durability is Loonskin (always affected by bad moon until it leaves the map, giving an extra command point each round, and doubling/re-rolling his regeneration) and Tough as rocks (+2 wounds)

- Access to a high risk/high reward artifact that gives him a 4+ ward save until he rolls a 1. Or instead, he can pick a realm artifact that gives him the same benefits as headdress of many eyes, so that is not exclusive to the webspinner. 

- Edit: benefits from defensive spells just as much as the webspinner. The healing is the only exclusive part of it, and the Troggboss matches that with his own healing. Worse healing on his own, matched with Loonskin.

So, without artifacts:

- Troggboss is the tankiest, because he's not a monster.

With artifacts/traits:

- Still tankiest. Becomes almost impossible to nuke with some luck. An extra command point each round is nothing to sneeze at. (hilarious how that translates to a tactical genius Troggboss slogging around the battlefield!)

Edited by Mayple

On a more serious note, which weapon you pick depends on what your plan is.  If you are planning to use the Loonboss command ability then all you want is to get the most models into combat so you can fish for 6s to hit.  So you want the spears.

If you are trying to kill stuff without the Stab em good command ability, or your unit is only 20 models strong, then pick whichever one you want.

If this is an inappropriate place to post this please chase me away.  2019 goal is to build my first Age of Sigmar army. Pulled between FeC, a Squig heavy Gloomspite list, or a Trogg heavy list. Not looking for top competitive play but I don't want to make a gag army that cannot win.  Looking at the attached as a start. Any super glaring issues that someone new to the game wouldn't notice? Not enough bodies to claim objectives?

Side question: I am getting the squig herd models because they look great but is the point of the herd to sacrifice/tie up units? Value generated from the fleeing mortal wounds? Will squig herds make it into competitive lists?  

SquigList1000.pdf

• Like 2

@GunslingerOy the list does not seem bad.  I really like the Loonboss with Giant Squig, but I don’t think you will get a lot of use out of him in this list.  His command ability can not be used on your squigs and requires a unit of grots.  I recommend that you take him out of this particular list.  I have two different recommendations for this list.  

Option 1 is to simply swap the Loonboss for a Madcap shaman.  That will give you access to the Night Shroud spell and also an extra spell from the Moonclan spell lore.  That means you could get the Squig buff spell and one other.

Option 2 is to drop both the trolls and the Loonboss and replace them with a Mangler Squig.  That gives you a giant wrecking ball Squig monster that will cause all sorts of carnage.

As for Squig herds, I like them.  They are much nastier than people expect for their cost and squigs have 2 wounds each as well. They are not a tank unit, but their high wound count means you can stack a bunch of meat for someone to chew through.  The low leadership can suck, but they often eat people when they run.

Edited by Skabnoze
  • LOVE IT! 1