AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

3 minutes ago, PUFNSTUF said:

For those goiysquig heavy, I am finding it hard to not want to include Skagrot as the general for the tools he brings. Extra command points for squiggle runs, moon placement for run and charge. Down side is losing out on hopper battleline. Anyone else going to use him instead of a loonboss on squig?

How about instead you take Fungoid Shamans, yeah they dont do nealy as much as the Lookkin but they still get you spells, they still gets you command points.

Any thoughts on mixed lists involving elements across the 3 sub-factions? I'm liking the idea from a painting-variety point of view of having that Arachnarok shaman in a Squig list. In the interests of saving some money I was also hoping to use the BFSP grots I already have (plus I've ordered a box of hoppers), so any thoughts on mixed lists with some squigs and infantry would be great. 

28 minutes ago, swiftmus said:

Any thoughts on mixed lists involving elements across the 3 sub-factions? I'm liking the idea from a painting-variety point of view of having that Arachnarok shaman in a Squig list. In the interests of saving some money I was also hoping to use the BFSP grots I already have (plus I've ordered a box of hoppers), so any thoughts on mixed lists with some squigs and infantry would be great. 

I was thinking along these lines as well. I'm planning to combine grots and spiders, because that's most of what I have already, but also because I think the two complements each other. I think it works at 2000 pts, but I don't know how to combine both 1000 pts and get good synergy. Here's the list I'm building toward:

1 Skragrott

1 arachnarok shaman

2 loonbosses

60 grot spearmen

2 x 20 grot spearmen

5 snufflers

5 spore fanatics

20 spider riders

cauldron and mushroom

3 hours ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

How about instead you take Fungoid Shamans, yeah they dont do nealy as much as the Lookkin but they still get you spells, they still gets you command points.

I think they're almost completely obsolete unfortunately.

2x Fungoids at 180 points is the comparison to 1x Skragrott at 220

Skragrott has 2x casts and 2x unbinds: BUT they are all at +1 native, whereas the Fungoid has lost his rerolls.

Skragrott has the amazing once per game CA.

Skragrott will do some chip damage output too (remember the Mortal wounds keep leaking out).

They both generate equal numbers of CPs on average.

They both have a 4+ shrug.  Double Fungoid has a couple more wounds but has lost his native -1 to hit.

The 40 points buys you so much more, I really don't see how the Fungoid has a role.  Skragrott is just a better CP generator with much more besides.

Honestly, the warscroll for the Fungoid has been completely eviscerated.  I own a couple and it's hard not to feel like I've had my pocket picked.

Edited by PlasticCraic

10 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

I think they're almost completely obsolete unfortunately.

2x Fungoids at 180 points is the comparison to 1x Skragrott at 220

Skragrott has 2x casts and 2x unbinds: BUT they are all at +1 native, whereas the Fungoid has lost his rerolls.

You lose the amazing once per game CA.

Skragrott will do some chip damage output too.

They both generate equal numbers of CPs on average.

They both have a 4+ shrug.  Double Fungoid has a couple more wounds but has lost his native -1 to hit.

The 40 points buys you so much more, I really don't see how the Fungoid has a role.  Skragrott is just a better CP generator with much more besides.

Honestly, the warscroll for the Fungoid has been completely eviscerated.  I own a couple and it's hard not to feel like I've had my pocket picked.

I was replying more in context to someone not wanting to take the Loonking, i know the Fungoids are strictly worse than him but they are also his closest comparison in the matter. I dont think they are that bad, yeah they lost a -1 to hit but gained a 4+++ instead of a 5+++. His CA was pretty bad as he was a generally weak general and his deffcap is a side grade change mostly. His own ability to generate a CP on a 4+ each turn is again unique to the Moonclan again and it also means you dont have to have him be your general to even unlock that ability in the first place. Those 40pts can be used to nearly pay 4/5 towards the cauldron or added change towards a battalion.

I fully agress that Skraggrot is an auto include and absolute beast but if people dont want to use him they still have options that can do somewhat the same job which is mainly casting/unbinding and generating CPs. Even though ive ordered his model he wont be going in my Squig list. He really shines in a Moonclan / Troggoth centred army. 

Edited by Ekrund Oath Splitters

With the upcoming squig battalion you can engage and pile in from 6" if my unit is all outside of 3" but within 6" will my enemy be abele to attack back after i do pill in with that unit, as at the start of thr combat phase they had no unit within 3" and had not charged? I would asume so, but if not ... Winning

I should mention that the Fungoid also lost a wound (went from 5 wounds down to 4).  Between that and losing the native -1 to hit I believe he is less survivable even with the better shrug.

Personally I would take Skragrott in a Squig build too - he benefits them massively.  Run and charge is excellent with their dicey movement, but even moreso I like him in the Batallion with its 6" pile in.  That is Bad Moon dependent (hence his CA is clutch for that build), and having used it a lot with Yhetees and Bonegrinders I can tell you it's dynamite.

Also FWIW the Fungoid's old CA was superb if you harnessed it correctly, after using it on an unbogdownable Maw Krusha to multicharge per turn it is hard to go back :D

https://thehonestwargamer.com/aos-list-rundowns/triple-bang-the-monster-mash-they-never-saw-coming/

6 minutes ago, Izikail said:

With the upcoming squig battalion you can engage and pile in from 6" if my unit is all outside of 3" but within 6" will my enemy be abele to attack back after i do pill in with that unit, as at the start of thr combat phase they had no unit within 3" and had not charged? I would asume so, but if not ... Winning

No, so what happens is if say a unit is 6" away from an enemy unit they can make a pile in move of 6" and attack. Because your now withing 1" of the enemy they can attack you back. But if you didnt pile in when you were 6" away your enemy cant as they can only do that if you are 3" away.

4 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

No, so what happens is if say a unit is 6" away from an enemy unit they can make a pile in move of 6" and attack. Because your now withing 1" of the enemy they can attack you back. But if you didnt pile in when you were 6" away your enemy cant as they can only do that if you are 3" away.

Thanks, assumed so, but always trying to sneek an advantage :)

Yeah it's still really powerful because everything gets to swing first.

But more than that, it means you can run and / or retreat and still pile in, because you don't need to complete a charge to get into combat.

So you can't be pinned down, get an extra D6" of "free" movement, and get to swing first in every engagement.  It's amazing.

12 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

I should mention that the Fungoid also lost a wound (went from 5 wounds down to 4).  Between that and losing the native -1 to hit I believe he is less survivable even with the better shrug.

Personally I would take Skragrott in a Squig build too - he benefits them massively.  Run and charge is excellent with their dicey movement, but even moreso I like him in the Batallion with its 6" pile in.  That is Bad Moon dependent (hence his CA is clutch for that build), and having used it a lot with Yhetees and Bonegrinders I can tell you it's dynamite.

Also FWIW the Fungoid's old CA was superb if you harnessed it correctly, after using it on an unbogdownable Maw Krusha to multicharge per turn it is hard to go back :D

https://thehonestwargamer.com/aos-list-rundowns/triple-bang-the-monster-mash-they-never-saw-coming/

He always been 4 wounds , I wish they change his spell a little bit so it doesn’t require a balewind vortex to be effective 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

Everytime my Fungoid was my general he got starstriked, everblazed, nagashed, thundertusked or some other obnoxious way of blasting him to the nether realm... 🤣😅 so my mawcrusha was always my general an he never failed to disappoint, infact for every legendary dead he achieved i added a trophy to his model, he has the shields of many a freepeople general strapped to his armour, the banner from a stonehorn when he beat a frostlord in single combat (one round aswell), the dragon skull of a carmine attached to his banner, the choppas off gordrakk when chubbs (my maw krusha) shouted at gordrakk to sit down and it knocked his ass down, the 9 scrolls of power from when against all odds and many daubs he survived about 3 turns worth of 25 MWs from DoT before he felled there silly wizards and finally the skulls and helmets from many a stormcast general as none in the mortal realms have proved to be his equal. And then Thematically i just cant envision my Warlord heeding the words of a shaman, let alone a goblin one ahah!

As for Squig lists needing Skraggrot, they are one of the most independent subfactions in this book when it comes to the Bad Moon as they dont really need it. You dont always have to make turn 1 charges, you dont always need to run to make a charge, we have a spell that can renact that effect for D3 units.  Then also comes the fact that in a pure squig build 220pts is alot for them, 10 Hoppers/10Bounders/Nearly a Mangler. They really just need to spend less pts altogther on heroes and out of Madcap or Fungoid, the latter is the best pick.

Now im not suggesting people shouldnt take Skraggrot in there Squigs lists, im just saying that he is least needed in that subfaction. Trolls and standard Moonclan would be better benefitted by his abilities, Spiderfang kinda need him but more Shamans on Aroks wouldnt hurt either. If your play style requests more control over the moon then you must take him, there is no debate over that, but if your army can act all commando rambo without it then i wouldnt stress about it. 

When the moon appears yay happy dance but im not going to be chasing it with 70% of my army. Having your moves forced on you and dictated is quite bad and a savvy opponent will use that to his advantage. Even if most people will just be using teh Loonking for 2 turns of central moon coverage. 

* and whilst people may say "Omg but the moon is our Allegiance Ability! If you ignore it you basically have no Allegiance Ability!" well thats not really true... The moon can still hurt enemy units, the moon can still affect other heroes in our army. The Squig buff whilst nice is also incredibly small in its usage. You can only use it in your turn, and if you didnt need to use it anyway (say turn 2 when your already like 5" away) then it wouldnt have made much of a difference, Spiderfang and Moonclan go off in each player turn not just our own and the Troll one is hugely important for a low model count elite army. In additional to all the other reasons i love squigs, having the extra flexibility over our subfaction cousins is a huge boon in my eyes.

• Like 1

I'm not trying to take a dump on your answer by the way @Ekrund Oath Splitters, what you have said would be helpful to someone who really didn't want to take the new guy. 

I think the main reason I might not take him would be the Named Character as General thing - i.e. you miss out on a Commant Trait which would be helpful for a Summoning build (rolling twice in Hero phase to recycle models) or an Aggro Mangler with the phase out of combat.

But I do think the Warscroll for the Fungoid is significantly worse overall than his old one for the reasons above (also his rerollable Unbind is gone which was an underrated ability).  And in most circumstances I would find myself taking Skragrott over him.

3 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

As for Squig lists needing Skraggrot, they are one of the most independent subfactions in this book when it comes to the Bad Moon as they dont really need it. You dont always have to make turn 1 charges, you dont always need to run to make a charge, we have a spell that can renact that effect for D3 units.  Then also comes the fact that in a pure squig build 220pts is alot for them, 10 Hoppers/10Bounders/Nearly a Mangler. They really just need to spend less pts altother on heroes an dout of Madcap or Fungoid, the latter is the best pick.

Think our messages overlapped there!  I was talking about the Batallion with the 6" pile in rather than the run + charge, like I said above I've made extensive use of that ability with other units and it's incredibly powerful.

And again, you're not actually paying much of a premium for that Moon manipulation over double Fungoids...especially when you're also getting the +1 to magic too.  Well worth 40 points I think.  The larger tax is missing out on a Command Trait in my opinion, which is a real concern.

If people are convinced by your arguments however, one of my Fungoids is new on sprue and I'll be more than happy to part with it!  The other is painted to a high standard, and I'll be keeping him for the memories...I don't think he'll be seeing much time on the Battlefield in future unfortunately.

@novakai oops, my mistake!

8 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

I'm not trying to take a dump on your answer by the way @Ekrund Oath Splitters, what you have said would be helpful to someone who really didn't want to take the new guy. 

I think the main reason I might not take him would be the Named Character as General thing - i.e. you miss out on a Commant Trait which would be helpful for a Summoning build (rolling twice in Hero phase to recycle models) or an Aggro Mangler with the phase out of combat.

But I do think the Warscroll for the Fungoid is significantly worse overall than his old one for the reasons above (also his rerollable Unbind is gone which was an underrated ability).  And in most circumstances I would find myself taking Skragrott over him.

Dont worry your not taking a dump on my ideas, its good to debate, people can see how us as players use our own armies to different play styles. Someone may be attracted to hordes of Grots to begin with but find them boring and they can look to us for ways to play GG in a way that is uniquely different yet the same army. Which is what i love about this book, there are 6 ways you can play this book!! Pure Moonclan, Pure Squig, Pure Spiderfang, Pure Troggoth Herd, Mixed general GG, GG with outside ally support.

I 100% fully agree with you about the Fungoid, however in those weird scenarios where you arent taking the Loonking, no other wizard in this book does what a Fungoid does. For 10pts more than a Madcap Shaman you get the better survivability, the chance to gen CPs, casting an extra spell that maybe wont make you D3 MWs and a better melee profile (ok its a goblin... but im just on about 10pts more). His innate spell is bad vs the Madcap but your going to mostly use the Moonclan Lore for his casting anyway.

So if we look at it this way the order of choice is this: Skraggrot > Shaman on Arok > Fungoid > Madcap. But if neither of the first two are an option (pts limit, better options, generals, just dont want them in your list) then the only real choice is the Fungoid, only taking the Madcap after the first Fungoid to get Night Shroud if you think you will need that missile protection.  

• Thanks 2

Speaking of allies i cant really find a use for them in Gloomspite Gits.... Bonesplitters add nothing to the army and none of there spells and abilities affect us, Greenskins its only really chariots that provide any worth with there MWs on the charge and there reasonably durable profile for there cost but we have squigs for that role so that leaves us with Gitmob who have great shooting through there artillery pieces and the better archers using Sneaky Stabbing but they are quite expensive and we dont have ways to trade buffs to one another, the only thing we can do is create a LoS blocking shield for the war machines using the Sporesplattas.

Yep, I think that's a well put answer and sums it up nicely!

I guess there is also the Spider wizard on foot.  I didn't see much use fot him at first glance, but he's actually a really nice inclusion in the book.  Gives you cheap access to the (amazing) Spiderfang spell lore, benefits from the A-Rok magic bubble and is a good use for kits where you make a flinga / deep striker.  I reckon we'll see a few of them kicking around in Spiderfang armies.

Totally agree on the flexibility in this book, you could be writing and playing armies for years to come.  It's amazing.