AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

13 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

Agreed.  I do love the Batallion for the 6" pile in move (which does rely on the Bad Moon) - so in my Squig build I have taken Skragrott.  But they definitely look strong even without that Batallion. 

One thing I love about Skragrott is his 4+ shrug.  An expensive low-wound character like him would otherwise be too vulnerable to things like the Everblaze Comet and Celestant Prime - hopefully you should at least get a turn of him being alive, which is all you need to get some juice out of his CA.

Do you think there's still a place for the Colossal Squig?

Erm yea!!!! Whyd you even ask that question! 🤣😉 go to the squig pens now for dung cleaning as penance for your stupidity! 😉

In all seriousness yes, 4d6+3" move and d6 run and charge with a +1 to wound aswell.... he should be in your 2k list if your going full squig.  

Edited by Ekrund Oath Splitters
  • Haha 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 minute ago, Skabnoze said:

I think it depends on how all of the points land.  I have not looked into that stuff, but the Colossal Squig is still quite a good monster.  He also still pops out a squig unit upon death.  I think with access to various buffs he would only be better.  Question is if he is redunant compared to taking another Mangler.

Yeah I've seen the points and he is a direct competitor to the Mangler.  He is the same as the one with a Boss on top, more than the basic Mangler (although as you said he also comes with free Squigs).  

He can't be in the Batallions, but does benefit from Squig keyword buffs.

It might even come down to whether you are taking Skragrott as General (to manipulate the Moon), or the Mangler as General (with the phase out of combat). 

Personally I love the Colossal and still intend to use it :D

4 minutes ago, Hoseman said:

Here goes my list. I don't know if it's competitive or not but I just love the models:

Loonking, arachnarok with shaman, Mangler boss and troggboss.

2x 20 smasha grots, 20 shootas, 15 spiders, 5 fanatics.

I think it's 2k. Maybe later I switch mangler and trogg boss for normal options to fit a unit of rocktroggs

Thats alot of big things in 2k 😳 are you going monster mash i assume>? 😅

7 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

As an old O&G player myself im happy for us but at the same time scared, i dont want WAAC players picking up our army and spamming them across all events and suddenly we get the nerf bat a swinging our way in 6 months time. Unfortunately that will probably happen due to the innate goodness of this battletome. I can really only count like maybe 3 bad things i think is bad so far in the battletome.

So what if they do?  They won't have an army as lovingly collected or put together as many of us gobbo fans do.  They also won't stick with it after a percieved bad errata or two or when something else new & shiny comes out and takes the supposed competitive crown.  Someone who is just chasing what they perceive as the absolute best on the table, regardless of Grand Alliance or theme, will invariably jump ship fast.  They are entitled to have their fun with their toys as well and it won't impact my ability to have fun with this army.

3 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

Yeah I've seen the points and he is a direct competitor to the Mangler.  He is the same as the one with a Boss on top, more than the basic Mangler (although as you said he also comes with free Squigs).  

He can't be in the Batallions, but does benefit from Squig keyword buffs.

It might even come down to whether you are taking Skragrott as General (to manipulate the Moon), or the Mangler as General (with the phase out of combat). 

Personally I love the Colossal and still intend to use it :D

I think he is invaluable, he may be in competition with another Mangler Boss but when you factor in those 5 squigs he is actually 242pts effectively. He is D6 quicker than the normal Mangler and has 16 wounds instead of 12. Attacks wise he has 8 jaw attacks that are range 3" 2+ 3+ rend 2 damage d3 with 6s to hit doing D3 MWs. thats compared to 4 from the mangler 3+ 3+ rend 1 and damage d6. Thats alot better in my eyes. The balls and chains are miles more damaging than his feet but hes probably made up for that with his jaws. He has a gimmicky 6+ to deal a MW on the charge... but his explosion is hugely better and he has a native -1 to hit in combat.

Add in run and charges and the two loon bosses command abilities that affect squigs and you suddenly see that he is pretty much an auto include. If teh option was between him and another mangler i would always hands down pick him.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

ways to lower people armour saves to negate ethereal (mommet and spiderfang spells),

Is this correct? Doesn’t ethereal negate any buff or debuffs to saves? What makes Gloomspite abilities different?

5 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

So what if they do?  They won't have an army as lovingly collected or put together as many of us gobbo fans do.  They also won't stick with it after a percieved bad errata or two or when something else new & shiny comes out and takes the supposed competitive crown.  Someone who is just chasing what they perceive as the absolute best on the table, regardless of Grand Alliance or theme, will invariably jump ship fast.  They are entitled to have their fun with their toys as well and it won't impact my ability to have fun with this army.

It may not affect your but it can affect others. Ive seen it happen before to other peoples armies that played there race just for the fun of it and a few months later it has been nerfed into the ground because other people abused certain things. Its more of the bigger picture than just your own personal army. Just reading through the Blades of Khorne thread and you can feel and taste the saddness just as one example. Yeah some people went crazy with murderhost but not everyone used bloodletters that way. Ive had friends leave AoS and go back to 40k because of it. I remember my friend playing DoT, by no means did he play that army in any cheesy way, infact every one always beat him as even destiny dice didnt save his bad luck, but as time went on there were just too many changes and FAQs for him to keep up with and the BoC was the nail in the coffin for him.

6 minutes ago, FPC said:

Is this correct? Doesn’t ethereal negate any buff or debuffs to saves? What makes Gloomspite abilities different?

Gloomspite puts a minus on the save ROLL not apply any rend. BoC have been doing it ever since they got there Herdstone.

Look at Biovoltic Barrier for instance.

The base of my list is probably going to be something like this. What I'd like to do is add a caster or two (Maybe Fungoid Shaman or Skragrott if he fits) and trying out some of these endless spells, I'm also interested in splitting that mangler squig set into 2x Loonboss on giant squig to follow my Manglerboss around. The Dankhold Troggoth isn't necessary but I love the model and it gives a nice bravery buff I assume.

Leaders

Loonboss on Mangler Squigs - General

Command Trait - Fight another Day

Artifact - The Clammy Cowl

- Insert Caster Here -

Battleline

Squig Hoppers  x20

Squig Hoppers  x20

Squig Herd          x24

Other

Boingrot Bounders  x10

Mangler Squigs

Mangler Squigs

Dankhold Troggoth

Battalions

Squigalanche

4 minutes ago, FPC said:

My take on it is that the Mommet would not affect Ethereal, because it is still a modifier and Ethereal ignores modifiers.

But the Spider spell would still work, because it is not a modifier (FYI it makes saves of 1 or 2 auto fails rather than just 1s).  So it is not actually modifying or changing the dice roll at all.  If you've rolled a 2 it's still a 2.  It just means that 2 fails instead of succeeds (if you'd got down to a 2+ save).

3 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

Gloomspite puts a minus on the save ROLL not apply any rend. BoC have been doing it ever since they got there Herdstone.

Look at Biovoltic Barrier for instance.

Ah hang on - does Ethereal just ignore Rend, and not all Modifiers?  I don't have the wording here.

If it's only Rend, we're golden!

4 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

Ah hang on - does Ethereal just ignore Rend, and not all Modifiers?  I don't have the wording here.

im having a check now, getting out my NH book 🤣 i own all the books... 😅

so it wont affect Ethereal Units but its affects Ishlaen Guard

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

“Ignore modifiers (positive or negative) when making save rolls for attacks that target this unit.”

I don’t think the Mommet gets around that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

Thats alot of big things in 2k 😳 are you going monster mash i assume>? 😅

I have sylvaneth, Idoneth and LoN army's made thinking on competitive units and that but this one is going to be fun... is just that. And I have too Stormcast, Kharadron and wanderers that are a lot of minis too... for my first destruction army I wanna go wild and beasty and crazy :)

35 minutes ago, novakai said:

I was listening the Honest wargamer show

Something fun you can do is deep strike your grot unit with the Fanatic inside using the Hand of Mork, and you release the Fanatic in the charge phase 3 inches out of the unit. then the fanatic only need a 6 inch charge to get into combat. you can use COG to make it a 4 inch charge if you want

Can you still do Grotception?

Fanatics hiding inside Fanatics?

You could release them from each other, getting progressively closer.

Maybe with the first one being Spores, and the second one being Loonsmashas.  So the Spores buff the Smashas, and give them an even easier charge.  Then sit there as a screen in front of your Grots - you might even be able to create a choke point :D

1 minute ago, PlasticCraic said:

Can you still do Grotception?

Fanatics hiding inside Fanatics?

You could release them from each other, getting progressively closer.

Maybe with the first one being Spores, and the second one being Loonsmashas.  So the Spores buff the Smashas, and give them an even easier charge.  Then sit there as a screen in front of your Grots - you might even be able to create a choke point :D

No as they dont have the Grot keyword

*if your riding a wrecking ball or a red ball with teeth you aint a grot!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

It will still work vs IDK and will also give our units affectively +1 rend which is HUGE

Agreed, effective rend -1 is excellent. Imagining 60 Stabbas with both Snufflers and Sporesplattas buffs, under the moon, mortals on 6s from foot Loonboss, with the opponent effected by  Mommet -1 sv...then throw in some nets, sneaky distraction, the Gobbopaloza -1....crazy! Obviously a lot of moving parts but even getting a few of these going is huge!

19 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

It may not affect your but it can affect others. Ive seen it happen before to other peoples armies that played there race just for the fun of it and a few months later it has been nerfed into the ground because other people abused certain things. Its more of the bigger picture than just your own personal army. Just reading through the Blades of Khorne thread and you can feel and taste the saddness just as one example. Yeah some people went crazy with murderhost but not everyone used bloodletters that way. Ive had friends leave AoS and go back to 40k because of it. I remember my friend playing DoT, by no means did he play that army in any cheesy way, infact every one always beat him as even destiny dice didnt save his bad luck, but as time went on there were just too many changes and FAQs for him to keep up with and the BoC was the nail in the coffin for him.

That's fair.  You are correct in that it can effect local groups.

However, I mainly curate who I play with anymore so it does not effect me as much.  But I have certainly seen broader communities for various games circle the toilet when things are handled badly by the developers.

11 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

No as they dont have the Grot keyword

*if your riding a wrecking ball or a red ball with teeth you aint a grot!

I forgot does the Snuffler have the Grot keyword for its buff, because if not you can use them maybe as the fanatic carrier and buff them when they come out

Edited by novakai

6 minutes ago, novakai said:

I forgot does the Snuffler have the Grot keyword for its buff, because if not you can use them maybe as the fanatic carrier and buff them when they come out

I believe so, i read the book in person and only looked at them briefly. I went straight to squigs haha! 😂😅 its a curse of mine.... attracted by all things squiggily 🤣

9 minutes ago, novakai said:

Oh wait yeah they have the keyword as a unit sorry, omg going crazy and blind... ignore this second post lmao!!!

I think the Snuffler buff is for Moonclan units 

So ideally you deepstrike the Snuffler 9 inches away from the enemy, release 15 fanatics 3 inches away from the carrier, buff them with the Snufflers buff, and if you can get COGS off they just have to make an 4 inch charge, once you activate them in combat, they get 15 + 15 D6 attacks off ( Edit: if under the moon they get rerolling 1 to hit)

Edited by novakai
  • LOVE IT! 1

Isn't the max unit size 20 for Loonsmashas?  Go on, do it, I dare you!  :D

I'd been thinking along similar lines but with an Alpha Bunker element.  i.e. do it with 60 Stabbas. 

You will melt their front lines Turn 1, and their Turn 1 they have to spend killing the Fanatics (not hard!).  Then it's their Turn 2 before they even get to engage with your 60 Stabbas.  Lots of ways for them to be Battleshock Immune.  Should have a really good chance of pinning them until Turn 3, at which point you are miles ahead on Objectives...and then you recycle 30 Stabbas to nick the Objectives back from their depleted army :D

20 might be a stretch, but there is definitely a build with Deep Striking Smashas.

• Like 1