AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

1 minute ago, Ronga said:

So for a unit of 60 grots.  Pokkin spears and stabbas both come out to about the same amount of hits am I right? You should be able to get 2 rows of stabbas and 3 rows of spears.

Unbuffed, yes, equal 
Reroll  hits of 1, yes, equal
Reroll failed hits, spears win
+1 to hit, spears win

I am not sure what kind of buffs to hit are available.   If you have less than 3 ranks though, then stabbas are better obviously, so worth keeping in mind. especially considering you can bring them back at half strength

7 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

It is probably just better buffing stabbas as the snufflers dont have rend or the model count to be worth it even though there awesome looking moon sickles look nasty! 😣 Anything thats is moonclan on foot (excluding fanatics.....) have the Moonclan Grot keyword. So riding squigs and wrecking balls drops the keyword which i personally find silly but its obviously for balancing reasons again. Maybe squigs are just immune to the affects of the mushrooms and fanatics are already off there faces so i guess they cant get any more high...? 

I agree with that! I still might try it because I want to run an army with a (relatively) smaller moden count, so having ANY potential recipient of those buffs sounds fun to me.

7 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

GROT keyword?  So you might be able to hide Loonsplattas in them then?

Oh I didn't even think of that! If we follow RAW then I think it'd be possible? But i'm unsure.

Edited by Filie

3 minutes ago, DrDemento said:

I think the way they played previously, you want a biggish unit (15+, now 18+) to run at front of army along with manglers and colossal to present multiple high priority threats to shoot at and herds to screen the big guys if they don’t/can’t get into combat.  Then you want the herds stuck in and failing leadership checks to cause the mortal wounds.

Now, we have more options and the hoppers might be much better in the role of leading and screening a sort of multi squig alpha strike.  

If running a pure squig list, then yes, lots of small herd units for the battleline and backfield objective holders is a good role for the herds.  That said, not having at least one stabba/shoota unit for the Loonshrine might be too good to pass up for backfield objective holders.

We still need to see tome to see all the other spells and abilities impact this.

Also, since shooting is on a downturn in the meta, we have less concerns.

I see so much shooting screens in this tome, I wonder if either the rules being written some time back are just behind the meta, or if we will see some changes to shooting in the near future, like fixing artillery rules and wave 2 of the AoS 1.0 armies that have more shooting units?

I completely agree with all of this, as for the spell lore there is 4 really good spells (itchy nuisance, the great green spite, the hand of gork and squig lure), 1 alright spell (vindictive glare) and one subpar spell (call of da moon). 

If you are full Moonclan you should be casting The Great Green Spite every turn, Troggoths and Squigs should be casting Itchy Nuisance every turn, Pure Squigs should be casting Squig Lure unless they under Da Bad Moon and the Spiderfang spell lore is amazing but i personally dont run them.

Saying that there hasnt been much Spiderfang debate going on for awhile? I think they are one of the strongest builds in this book now, pure Moonclan being second, then Squigs then sadly Troggoths last.

9 minutes ago, sorokyl said:

Unbuffed, yes, equal 
Reroll  hits of 1, yes, equal
Reroll failed hits, spears win
+1 to hit, spears win

I am not sure what kind of buffs to hit are available.   If you have less than 3 ranks though, then stabbas are better obviously, so worth keeping in mind. especially considering you can bring them back at half strength

We dont have any kinds of buffing to hit or rerolling all to hit in this battletome sadly but then that would be mental haha! 😂 who'd of thought gobbos are as skilled as witch elves in combat.... under those hoodies are the bodies of extremely hench and athletic green goblins! 🤣 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

We dont have any kinds of buffing to hit or rerolling all to hit in this battletome sadly but then that would be mental haha! 😂 who'd of thought gobbos are as skilled as witch elves in combat.... under those hoodies are the bodies of extremely hench and athletic green goblins! 🤣 

Snuffer Squigs = +1 to hit (multiple times but anything over 1x is 2d6 mortal wounds)

Spore Fanatics = +1 to hit 

bad moon = reroll 1s 

28 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

I completely agree with all of this, as for the spell lore there is 4 really good spells (itchy nuisance, the great green spite, the hand of gork and squig lure), 1 alright spell (vindictive glare) and one subpar spell (call of da moon). 

If you are full Moonclan you should be casting The Great Green Spite every turn, Troggoths and Squigs should be casting Itchy Nuisance every turn, Pure Squigs should be casting Squig Lure unless they under Da Bad Moon and the Spiderfang spell lore is amazing but i personally dont run them.

Saying that there hasnt been much Spiderfang debate going on for awhile? I think they are one of the strongest builds in this book now, pure Moonclan being second, then Squigs then sadly Troggoths last.

Where did you see the spell lores? Its the only thing I cant find.

Just now, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

you may want to check the Sporesplattas.... its +1 attack.

Whoops, yeah I got a little hasty there. My apologies 

More dice not more accurate 

I’ll still take it, and in retrospect, as you mentioned earlier, more accurate would be too elf like, I’ll take the bucket of dice though 

1 minute ago, mDaro said:

Where did you see the spell lores? Its the only thing I cant find.

Ill send you them over PM, use your super duper zooming in eye to make them out haha! My computer can enhance and sharpen images very well as im in the Graphics business but you can clearly make them out. Spiderfang have the better selection of spells over all i think, so maybe swap out your fungoid for a foot spiderfang shaman?

5 minutes ago, Milandro said:

Whoops, yeah I got a little hasty there. My apologies 

More dice not more accurate 

I’ll still take it, and in retrospect, as you mentioned earlier, more accurate would be too elf like, I’ll take the bucket of dice though 

Yeah crazy amount of prison shanks coming in from them. I wouldnt necessarily bank on the reroll 1s to hit though, especially with bigger units. It may be quite hard to have them all wholly within a tile under certain missions and the enemies placement and Da Bad Moon can be quite random in its movement! I think thats what made me go all squiggly beasts in the end, you dont really need to rely on the Bad Moon but when it happens great!

Moonclan builds will definitely have to rely on Da Bad Moon and you really have no excuse for not taking Skaggrott in 1500+pt games. Spiderfang once again kind of need the badmoon but they have ways around it. Trolls really need it now due to there regen now being a 4+ not a 2+.

But if your going Moonclan you cant go wrong with a huge block of stabbas supported by snufflers and sporesplattas!

So for a Spiderfang focused army, I noticed the Traits and Artefacts are only allowed to be taken by SCUTTLEBOSS, which is a keyword only the resin scuttleboss has.  You can not use a Shaman on Arachnarok as a general if you want a command trait.  Seems like a weird decision, many people don't have / want that model but i guess it's kind of required, unless you want to use a moonclan general. 

7 hours ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

Putting my slightly less old grognard hat on backwards,

In the lizardmen army book it mentions that the greenskin race were accidently transported to the old world by the old ones as there ships had some spores attached to them, i can even provide you with a quote if you would like. 

There is also a quote in the DoK book that states that some of the races arrived in realms through hidden means when the old world went kaboom. So it isnt as far fetched to think that a group of orcs and gobbos were "saved" by the big greens and launched into the new setting, or they simply fought through the chaos realm. If Elves, Dwarves and Men had chances to get sent across so can the Greenskins. As currently there are 3 types of Elves in AoS, descendants of the survivors of the old world, reincarnated ones and those rescued from Slaanesh.

Itd be quite odd if everyone from high born elf to little snotling was just reincarnated by there respective gods, kind of cheapens the whole outlook of the game, and ever if new life was created, how come they all evolved into the ones we used to know then thats also kind of ridiculous. I actually like the aspect that the DoK book portrays that was and were survivors from the Old world that made it to the new realms either through there gods, sorcery, faith or just pure luck. They would all be longgggg dead by now, but we have there descendants.

Are you referring to the Age of Sigmar Lizardmen book (the Seraphon battletome)?

If you are referring to the one from Warhammer Fantasy I know that they eventually included the fluff about the Old Ones bringing orc spores with them, but I don't think it was in the first Lizardmen Army Book which was the 5th edition army book.  Remember this was when Lizardmen were introduced into the game as they did not exist as an army prior to that (they had some models if you go way way back into WFB early days though).  The army as we know it was introduced into the game, along with Brettonians, in the 5th edition main box set.  The army books followed that box set.  It did introduce the Old Ones as the space-faring originators of the race and also as the guys who helped Elves, Dwarves, and Men get out of huddling around fires in caves.  As editions went on they expanded that fluff a lot and introduced more concepts of genetic tinkering with the major races when the Old Ones arrived.  And when GW started really expanding Necron fluff in 40k they started fleshing out the Old Ones concept (the Ork brainboyz thing had it's roots in Rogue Trader - it was just not tied to a broader Old Ones narrative).  Eventually they started back-porting that fluff into Warhammer Fantasy and including it in the core rulebook and the Lizardmen Army Books.  I believe they only had a basic framework for that in the first Lizardmen book though - I will check on that later.  I am pretty certain that the whole Orc spore thing was a later addition to the Old Ones story.

As for AoS, I suspect that the spore spawning is still a thing in the story.  I see no reason why GW should ditch that now as it is a pretty interesting fluff addition.  I simply don't recall reading it in the AoS lore that I have read directly.  But to be fair, I have not read all of it.  I don't have the Seraphon book so I have not read it.  I do have the Daughters battletome so I will go check that one out for the reference you mention.  Thanks for pointing it out to me.

But my original point was simply that the fluff for Orcs coming from Spores was not always in the game and is more recent than a lot of people think (especially in regards to fantasy) and so anyone chatting about female orcs does have a valid basis if they look back far enough.  It might not be current canon, but everyone is just making junk up really (even GW).

1 hour ago, sorokyl said:

So for a Spiderfang focused army, I noticed the Traits and Artefacts are only allowed to be taken by SCUTTLEBOSS, which is a keyword only the resin scuttleboss has.  You can not use a Shaman on Arachnarok as a general if you want a command trait.  Seems like a weird decision, many people don't have / want that model but i guess it's kind of required, unless you want to use a moonclan general. 

Strange, the community site talked about putting the headress of many eyes on the arok shaman... but we all know how bad the community site is when it comes to rule previews 🤣

16 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

Are you referring to the Age of Sigmar Lizardmen book (the Seraphon battletome)?

If you are referring to the one from Warhammer Fantasy I know that they eventually included the fluff about the Old Ones bringing orc spores with them, but I don't think it was in the first Lizardmen Army Book which was the 5th edition army book.  Remember this was when Lizardmen were introduced into the game as they did not exist as an army prior to that (they had some models if you go way way back into WFB early days though).  The army as we know it was introduced into the game, along with Brettonians, in the 5th edition main box set.  The army books followed that box set.  It did introduce the Old Ones as the space-faring originators of the race and also as the guys who helped Elves, Dwarves, and Men get out of huddling around fires in caves.  As editions went on they expanded that fluff a lot and introduced more concepts of genetic tinkering with the major races when the Old Ones arrived.  And when GW started really expanding Necron fluff in 40k they started fleshing out the Old Ones concept (the Ork brainboyz thing had it's roots in Rogue Trader - it was just not tied to a broader Old Ones narrative).  Eventually they started back-porting that fluff into Warhammer Fantasy and including it in the core rulebook and the Lizardmen Army Books.  I believe they only had a basic framework for that in the first Lizardmen book though - I will check on that later.  I am pretty certain that the whole Orc spore thing was a later addition to the Old Ones story.

As for AoS, I suspect that the spore spawning is still a thing in the story.  I see no reason why GW should ditch that now as it is a pretty interesting fluff addition.  I simply don't recall reading it in the AoS lore that I have read directly.  But to be fair, I have not read all of it.  I don't have the Seraphon book so I have not read it.  I do have the Daughters battletome so I will go check that one out for the reference you mention.  Thanks for pointing it out to me.

But my original point was simply that the fluff for Orcs coming from Spores was not always in the game and is more recent than a lot of people think (especially in regards to fantasy) and so anyone chatting about female orcs does have a valid basis if they look back far enough.  It might not be current canon, but everyone is just making junk up really (even GW).

The earliest army book i have for Lizardmen is 6th, i still have 24 metal temple guard! (miles better than the current ones in my eyes) but yeah i was more referring to the 8th ed army book for that quote as that is the most up to date lore wize, i have the Seraphon battletome but i havent read the fluff as i really dislike the space dino daemons that are made from memories fluff they went with. I know now they are reverting back to spawning pools and lizardmen being more independent from the Slann as it was mentioned in one of the Malign Portents short stories. I think also in the MP short stories the survivors of the Old World were mentioned there again, i believe it was the one with Morathi and Malekith in! That got my whole gaming community all excited and they began doing fluff linking old heroes to new realms, was pretty cool!

As for fluff for Destruction i dont think there is much to be found in AoS that describes there way of life other than fighting. Ive read all the realm gate war books and the Gordrakk ones but its always about the fights, which makes sense for greenskins, theyd remember the big scraps and they dont really care about society and empires. But its quite annoying for us delving into their lore, they remain quite a mystery, all we know is that they love to fight and thats about it. Leaves us space to expand our own theories and lore but other than that its not concrete.

I just find it so strange how beastmen have lore about how they are birthed, there camps, practises and rituals but orcs and goblins have is just Waaagh! 40K Orkz have better lore in that regard as you learn more about what they do when they arent in full war mode (which they still fight between themselves but they have races, some farm, general contests of strength, what scrap cities are like and their biology.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ajax_xaja said:

I could have sworn I saw it in this thread somewhere, but it's moving fast.

Can anyone confirm ally options for gloomspite gitz or vice versa? Especially in regard to Ironjawz.

It is indeed moving fast! Im finding it quite funny that this thread has more posts than the IDK and KO threads by about 300 and we dont even have our book out yet or any games to study against lmao! There is alot more Gobbo love than people expected haha!

Allies are Bonsplittas, Gitmob and Greenskins.

Edited by Ekrund Oath Splitters

5 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

It is indeed moving fast! Im finding it quite funny that this thread has more posts than the IDK and KO threads by about 300 andwe dont even have our book out yet or any games to study against lmao! There is alot more Gobbo love than people expected haha!

it probably also has to do that that Gloomspite been the first destruction release in quite a while that every person who like the grand alliance has been waiting for this release. But yeah ,WH goblins  have been a fan favorite army for a long time, plus you can field spiders and trolls in this release too. so this release has  a larger appeal range then most other release I would say

12 minutes ago, novakai said:

it probably also has to do that that Gloomspite been the first destruction release in quite a while that every person who like the grand alliance has been waiting for this release. But yeah ,WH goblins  have been a fan favorite army for a long time, plus you can field spiders and trolls in this release too. so this release has  a larger appeal range then most other release I would say

Its pretty much 4 armies in one, Horde, spiders, squig and troll. This book covers all play styles except maybe shooting, but spiderfang can do that alright with flingas and all there bows. We can ally in gitmob but i imagine we wont be using allies often as bonesplitters and greenskins dont add much unless you want chariots from greenskins and savage orruk arrow boys or big stabbas from bonesplitters.

I honestly think normal dwarves and elves would get the same amount of hype from the community. Not everything has to be crazy AoS concepts to attract people, this release is perfect its not too over the top. It builds on the older Night Goblin design and just updates it inline with the new stuff GW can produce. The only faction i dont like the look of is IDK, its abit too high fantasy for me, but every other release for AoS i have liked, with 4 expanding on my already existing armies (dark elves/witches, orcs, dwarves and beastmen kind of as they got no new units just spells and terrain that i already had a premade one) and now its 5 with Gloomspite Gits.

Edited by Ekrund Oath Splitters