AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

6 minutes ago, Izotzuhure said:

GMG makes an interesting point in the video: could you move the Bad Moon Loonshrine  with the Hand of Mork? 

For now i would say yes, in 40k they are made it impossible to do this either with psychic powers or scout type moves, but AoS is a bit more loose in its ruling. Its never popped up before?

16 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

Looking at their current preorder page they are running a 15% discount - which I think is the max that GW now allows from online retailers.

Local retailers might be able to get away with higher discounts - but that is probably rare given that they sell less volume and rely on their margins more.

Well thats a bit poop isnt it Skab!!! 😣😕 my mate bought 3 units today and that cost him £100 from GW, the squigs are quite expensive in my eyes and i have a DoK army haha!!! They are quite cheap for there pts cost but expensive in real life currency.

1 hour ago, Skabnoze said:

The 10am thing makes me wonder if their online infrastructure requires manual update and they can't schedule content updates ahead of time.  Man, that sucks for their dev/eComm team - glad I don't work for them.

It's simpler than that

GW stores open at 10am, therefore the managers can encourage you to pre-order in their store, rather than from home and count the sale. If they did it overnight, store managers would lose out on a percentage of sales, and some stores would become unprofitable.

The regional choice in Australia, Canada and the US is about "fairness", so they open at 10am in the last timezone for the region (PST  for the US and Canada, Western Australian time for Aus)

9 minutes ago, Mayple said:

What do we think about the new shootas? At 130 points for 20 with no discount at full unit, I'm unsure if they're worth it over the cheaper, tankier regular stabbas.

Thoughts?

Basically gonna use them to sit by the Loonshrine/on a backfield objective and maybe plink away some shots at range. But I see what you mean. I may end up swapping them out for a little stabba unit with the swords eventually. 

2 hours ago, Lucio said:

It's simpler than that

GW stores open at 10am, therefore the managers can encourage you to pre-order in their store, rather than from home and count the sale. If they did it overnight, store managers would lose out on a percentage of sales, and some stores would become unprofitable.

The regional choice in Australia, Canada and the US is about "fairness", so they open at 10am in the last timezone for the region (PST  for the US and Canada, Western Australian time for Aus)

Why should I order from the store when I can order to my house?  Most of these orders qualify for free shipping anyways.  GW gives pretty much zero incentive to purchase in their stores over online.

I still find this a very weird policy.  It seems a very weird attempt to artificially prop up in-store sales.  There are also huge swathes of the US that do not have a GW store remotely close.  I have one locally, and a number of independent stores, so I am fortunate.  I don’t mind ordering from a physical store if they give me a nice incentive of some sort to do so.  But I have never really found GW stores to provide good incentive.

In the end it is their business and their prerogative.  I just still find the business logic a bit baffling.

Edited by Skabnoze

Thank the badmoon the Warboss with giant cave squig finally has a separate warscroll so now the poor guy on foot won't be overcosted. Since the old metal guy on foot is still on sell, but still has the old warscroll online for now, I wonder if he's going to be a loonboss like the new model that's coming later. Kind of sad that my old Shamans in their new "madcap" form lost a really nice signature spell and got replaced with one that won't get used much, but at least there should be some spell lores in the battletome so they won't be useless. I guess GW wants to push their new shamans, which I'll probably get anyway but I like to keep my old ones usefull too. I like that the spiderfang shaman can now be taken on foot. If the new profiles for the Arachnarok have good enough differentiation in points now, I might build one without a shaman and have him on foot.

Even though the Chaos Gargant didn't get much in the BoC book other than the whipped to fury ability I was hoping that maybe the Gloomspite version would updated or at least have a cool Gloomspite ability like the BoC one, but it looks the same. Also glad to see that they're quick about releasing updates for the Forgeworld stuff and the Colossal squig and squig gobba already have the new keywords, but not rules changes that I'm noticing other than keyword. I was worried they'd end up some kind of Moonclan only purgatory without the keywords to get them into a Gloomspite army like what happened to the Mourngul when LoN dropped(later explained by a coming Nighthaunt book) or even the Giant Chaos Spawn and Warpfire  Dragon that should really have BoC keywords(at least the spawn).

That 1 in every 6 must be a squig herder for the squig herd is probably really going to ****** off those people that that only had min units of herders for their 20 squig units, especially since they're not selling herders by themselves any more. Sure there's still ebay and the conversion is easy, but still has to be a little annoying. Also makes the lone Underworlds herder model easier to use on the table top as stand in for a "normal" unit model if you don't want to the take their special warband unit.

16 minutes ago, Mayple said:

What do we think about the new shootas? At 130 points for 20 with no discount at full unit, I'm unsure if they're worth it over the cheaper, tankier regular stabbas.

Thoughts?

I would take squig herd over stabbas for back line scoring, 70pts for 12 wounds sinstead of 130pts for 20 wounds to just sit there. Shootas are ok but they cant get buffed as much as stabbas in any meaningful way. 20 Shots hitting on 4's (rerolling 1s under the badmoon) wounding on 5's at 16" range may plick a few wounds off things. They have a couple ways of getting -1 to hit vs them but personal if you want some bow gobbos, ally in the cheaper gitmob and there shaman.

Hi,

I tried to calculate the probability for where the moon may be positioned at each turn.

my assumptions were:

-T1 the moon is in your position and you’ll roll at start of T2

- rolling a 1 doesn’t move the moon, 2-5 moves 1 step, 6 moves 2 steps

-the field is divided in 5 positions where after it moves away from the battlefield (Q1(start), Q2, M (middle), Q3, Q4)

of which q1-2 is within the first quandrant and q3-4 is the diagonal quandrant.

0EB5BD3F-33F4-40BB-B5A0-797909D2B050.png

33 minutes ago, Mayple said:

Thoughts?

What else should we use for the shooting? I've been considering this also, but I think I would take Squig Herds for tanking.

1 hour ago, Skabnoze said:

GW dictates the max amount of discount possible in the US - which I believe is 15%.  Stores that run higher discounts than that risk being cut-off by GW so most of them don't do it.  Almost every online store in the US (miniature market, discount games, the Warstore, etc) will run the max allowable discount and so they are good sources to go with.  In my area most local stores have started to run similar discounts (or at least 10%) and so I support them when I can. 

My local store in the US has 20%.  I assume GW allows stores to sell locally at slightly higher discount to be able to compete with online retailers.  With sales tax this makes it only slightly worse than 15% online/free ship.  But ebay constantly has 15% off (stacking on the standard 15% off for ~28% off, so if i can wait at all I do). 

50 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Yes you can. Troggoth still exists as a faction keyword, it's just now there is the Gloomspite Gitz keyword aswell.

So if your faction could use Moonclan, Spiderfang or Troggoth as allies they still can do.

Troggoth is a keyword, but i would not necessarily  expect it to remain a faction in terms of alliances in the GHB.  

In 2017 GHB Nurgle Rotbringers and Daemons of Nurgle are 2 seperate factions.  So they are listed separately in allegiances.  In 2018, after the battletome, Rotbringers is no longer a faction, although it is still a keyword. 

We won't know until we see the book, but I suspect "Gloomspite Gitz" is now the faction that is home to all of these models, and is the faction that will be referred to in all "allies" restrictions.   It only makes sense, as if you are using this tome you are using "Gloomspite Gitz" allegiance. and they have 1 list of allies, that other factions do not ally with only some Gloomspite Gitz. 

7 minutes ago, Caladancid said:

What else should we use for the shooting? I've been considering this also, but I think I would take Squig Herds for tanking.

Gitmob Grots are alot better for this, 100pts for 20 gobbos hitting on 4s. Add the normal Gitmob Shaman and they are wound on 4s with a rend of 1. All for 180pts in allies, then if needed add alittle bit of spice with spear chukkas.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Malakree said:

Moonclan used to be an ironjawz ally, as did troggoths.

Losing them is a massive hit to the ironjawz. Especially with how much they relied on moonclan shamans for decent wizard options....just confirms my switch from them.

Allies table from GHB 2018:

Ironjawz - Aleguzzler Gargants, Bonesplitterz, Gitmob Grots, Greenskinz, Moonclan Grots, Troggoths

Moonclan Grots - Aleguzzler Gargants, Gitmob Grots, Greenskinz, Spiderfang Grots, Troggoths

Spiderfang Grots - AleguzzlerGargants, Gitmob Grots, Greenskinz, Moonclan Grots, Troggoths

IJ can have GSG in ally, but they cant have IJ in list.

5 minutes ago, sorokyl said:

My local store in the US has 20%.  I assume GW allows stores to sell locally at slightly higher discount to be able to compete with online retailers.  With sales tax this makes it only slightly worse than 15% online/free ship.  But ebay constantly has 15% off (stacking on the standard 15% off for ~28% off, so if i can wait at all I do). 

Troggoth is a keyword, but i would not necessarily  expect it to remain a faction in terms of alliances in the GHB.  

In 2017 GHB Nurgle Rotbringers and Daemons of Nurgle are 2 seperate factions.  So they are listed separately in allegiances.  In 2018, after the battletome, Rotbringers is no longer a faction, although it is still a keyword. 

We won't know until we see the book, but I suspect "Gloomspite Gitz" is now the faction that is home to all of these models, and is the faction that will be referred to in all "allies" restrictions.   It only makes sense, as if you are using this tome you are using "Gloomspite Gitz" allegiance. and they have 1 list of allies, that other factions do not ally with only some Gloomspite Gitz. 

It will be interesting to see how they do that fully going forward now that we have this book, BoC and LoN too. I think the chaos armies are bit of an outlier since GW is trying to say who those chaos gods will ally with, so it makes sense not to break up the mortals and daemons. For Legions of Nagash, the other two death factions have allies within it not the whole faction, but then LoN now feels like a slightly more halfhearted faction merge than this book or BoC. So it'll be interesting to see how they decide that in GHB 2019 or new destruction or Chaos battle tomes before then.

Opinion voicing;

Skragrot the Loonking OR three generic grot heroes in any combination leading up to the same point value (i.e; 3x madcap/spiderfang shaman//Loonboss+Fungoid+Madcap/Spiderfang)

I'm going to go both ways in the long run, but I don't know if I should prioritize Skragrot -right away-, or if his armies will be lead by lesser beings for a while.

15 minutes ago, Mayple said:

Opinion voicing;

Skragrot the Loonking OR three generic grot heroes in any combination leading up to the same point value (i.e; 3x madcap/spiderfang shaman//Loonboss+Fungoid+Madcap/Spiderfang)

I'm going to go both ways in the long run, but I don't know if I should prioritize Skragrot -right away-, or if his armies will be lead by lesser beings for a while.

Skragrott is good in that he gets a native +1 to cast and unbind. If you pair this with the Badmoon glowing over him thats a further +1. I then think if your taking the Loonking, you might aswell take the Cauldron! A further +1 to cast and unbind whilst also knowing the whole Moonclan spell lore. He can already cast two spells which means he can swap and choose which two to cast each turn reliably with a potential +3 to cast. This combo makes him 270pts which is quite alot of points but he should be shutting down all casters except Nagash in the hero phase. Then add his other benefits like gaining D3 CPs a battleround if hes your General and the once per game altering the path of the Bad Moon, i think he is invaluable. He is slightly tougher than 2 shamans with his 6 wounds 5+ 4++ save, has a good shooting profile with quite the range on it and his own spell is very useful for shutting down the enemies combos that might become troublesome (oaken armour, last word, sword of judgement, ethereal amulet, etc).

But just like most named characters, hes all your eggs in a frail gobbo basket.

Edited by Ekrund Oath Splitters
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

Gitmob Grots are alot better for this, 100pts for 20 gobbos hitting on 4s. Add the normal Gitmob Shaman and they are wound on 4s with a rend of 1. All for 180pts in allies, then if needed add alittle bit of spice with spear chukkas.

Even with the Loonshrine bringing them back to life? 

And, do we know all the allegiance buffs possible for Shootas yet? That might make a difference, unless we already know them due to leaks and I just missed the post (very possible).

6 minutes ago, Caladancid said:

Even with the Loonshrine bringing them back to life? 

And, do we know all the allegiance buffs possible for Shootas yet? That might make a difference, unless we already know them due to leaks and I just missed the post (very possible).

It seems like the only buffs they can get that affects there bows are the Bad Moon itself, rerolling 1s to hit. Everything else affects the combat phase, sneaky snufflers, spiker, sporesplatta fanatics, moonface mommet, loonboss command ability. There is nothing else that buffs shooting that i have seen through reviews and videos.

The Shootas will be more durable with immunity to battleshock, the bad moon icon and the possibility of half the unit coming back on a 4+ but its whether you prefer reliabe damage output or durability (in loose gobbo terms). I dont think having shooting is entirely required with all the new styles of play we have. Ive gone full squig haha!

Edited by Ekrund Oath Splitters

4 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

It seems like the only buffs they can get that affects there bows are the Bad Moon itself, rerolling 1s to hit. Everything else affects the combat phase, sneaky snufflers, spiker, sporesplatta fanatics, moonface mommet, loonboss command ability. There is nothing else that buffs shooting that i have seen through reviews and videos.

The Shootas will be more durable with immunity to battleshock, the bad moon icon and the possibility of half the unit coming back on a 4+ but its whether you prefer reliabe damage output or durability (in loose gobbo terms). I dont think having shooting is entirely required with all the new styles of play we have. Ive gone full squig haha!

Yeah I don't know that shooting is required either, just feels weird to have none of it.  And yes, squigs are definitely where I am going with the army.

1 minute ago, Caladancid said:

Yeah I don't know that shooting is required either, just feels weird to have none of it.  And yes, squigs are definitely where I am going with the army.

You can make a scary blob of Stabbas though! +1 attack from Sporesplatta Fanatics + 1 attack for Sneaky Snufflers, you can keep stacking the Snuffler buff but they suffer 2d6 MWs each time you stack it over the first, reroll 1s to hit from the Bad Moon, reroll 1s to wound from the Spiker, Loonbosses command ability causing mortal wounds on flat 6s in additional to normal damage, there own Backstabbing Mob rule and then the Moonface Mommet for basically rend 1 for them.

Thats 3 (maybe more if you want to risk taking MWs from Snufflers) attacks per gobbo 4s and 2s rerolling 1s for both, 6s cause MWs in additional to normal damage all at rend 1..... Witch Elf level of stabby... 🤣😅 1 big unit running around prison shanking anyone that crosses there path is quite the scary prospect..... 😳🤯