AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

9 minutes ago, novakai said:

So some big changes to the Fungoid Shaman

it lost it command ability (kind of sad) and now its just an ability to get an extra CP on a 4+

the Deffcap mushroom just give you an extra spell to cast once per battle but all the negatives are gone. 

his 5+ save is now a 4+ save but he no longer always -1 to hit

his spell is the same 

I felt like he kind of got worser but with a spell lore, possible point changes, and abilities from the book, he still maybe is useful

He's now a solid 80 point grot wizard option. The 4++ is massive even with the loss of the -1 while the extra cp on a 4+ is so giant it's unreal, from a pure points perspective a cp is worth 50points, his won't be worth quite that much since you don't start with it turn 1. That said you can expect at least 2 in a game, so his 4+ CP is worth at least 50 points.

That means the model/spells only need to be worth 30points in order for him to be worth taking. So then the question is, is he worth 30 points :D 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Malakree said:

He's now a solid 80 point grot wizard option. The 4++ is massive even with the loss of the -1 while the extra cp on a 4+ is so giant it's unreal, from a pure points perspective a cp is worth 50points, his won't be worth quite that much since you don't start with it turn 1. That said you can expect at least 2 in a game, so his 4+ CP is worth at least 50 points.

That means the model/spells only need to be worth 30points in order for him to be worth taking. So then the question is, is he worth 30 points :D 

I was kind of sad that command ability was gone and not just tweak a little bit, but it was a bit powerful and hard to use since he had to be the general

but I agree having a 4+ is pretty amazing and a chance of getting a command ability is way more useful and reliable abilities especially if you field multiples of him. I though the Deffcap mushroom changes was a bigger nerf but losing the reroll ability isn't as bad.

he probably still useful as an ally piece too especially army like Ironjawz would love to have more Command points and still being a cheap caster

Edited by novakai

So now that we have more arachnarok options the question is how many shaman do we run?  

He is still a double caster and will have a Spiderfang spell lore.  I guess the question will be how large the spell lore is.  Dragon Ogres got a small spell lore in the Beasts of Chaos book so that might happen here.

8 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

So now that we have more arachnarok options the question is how many shaman do we run?  

He is still a double caster and will have a Spiderfang spell lore.  I guess the question will be how large the spell lore is.  Dragon Ogres got a small spell lore in the Beasts of Chaos book so that might happen here.

Definitely 1 as general (it with a gryph feather charm is going to be bonkers good) and possibly 1 as a backup.
I'm thinking the 3rd option for me is the deepstriking one and and if I run a 4th it will be a flinger. I really don't see the need for more than 2 with shamans now that shamans on foot are a thing.

Im leaning more towards a pure squig list, hoppers as battleline, boingrots as the hammer units. Have the hoppers boing over units with a 4d6+3" move then charge from the rear, then have the boingrots charge from the front. A minimum of 20 4+ attempts to get MWs off and then around 60 4+ 3+ rend 1 attacks to finish them off. Ill probably only have one mangler and that will be a loonboss. Add in a couple shamans and an anvil unit of 40 shootas and i think that will be pretty potent. Threast from the movement phase, hero phase, shooting phase and charge phase and ultimately insanely mobile.

• Like 2

How do we all feel about Squig Hoppers vs Bounders? Unless Hoppers are significantly cheaper, the Bounderz seem better. Higher armor, accuracy, rend, damage, bravery, range. Both of their abilities seem to be about the same, except the Bounderz require you to charge, while the Hoppers require you to pass over them. Bounderz also have the Lance bonus.

Then again, Hoppers are significantly faster, and I will probably roll a lot of ones with my luck...

1 minute ago, dirkdragonslayer said:

How do we all feel about Squig Hoppers vs Bounders? Unless Hoppers are significantly cheaper, the Bounderz seem better. Higher armor, accuracy, rend, damage, bravery, range. Both of their abilities seem to be about the same, except the Bounderz require you to charge, while the Hoppers require you to pass over them. Bounderz also have the Lance bonus.

Then again, Hoppers are significantly faster, and I will probably roll a lot of ones with my luck...

well if your general is a loonboss on mangler the hoppers are battleline so that makes them immensely better. If your not using a general that unlocks them as battleline, only take boingrots.

• Like 1

I think the two units have different roles.  Hoppers are fast and can damage units without engaging in combat so they make better units to send off to snag objectives while Bounders are much more of shock infantry that you want to get stuck into combat repeatedly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

well if your general is a loonboss on mangler the hoppers are battleline so that makes them immensely better. If your not using a general that unlocks them as battleline, only take boingrots.

Ah, I missed that only Hoppers became Battleline. I eventually plan to have both, especially since I love the classic Hoppers, but I think I will start with the Bounderz since I have plenty of Grot battleline.

57 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

I think the two units have different roles.  Hoppers are fast and can damage units without engaging in combat so they make better units to send off to snag objectives while Bounders are much more of shock infantry that you want to get stuck into combat repeatedly.

Actually the way I would use them is to have your Hoppers as the first line who are there to tie down your opponents, soften them and poke holes in their line, the meat of the army. Then you use the Bounders as the hammer into where you want/need them. 

This plays wonderfully to both units strengths. The hoppers are faster, cheaper and more numerous. Importantly their Mortal Wounds from Boing!Boing!Boing! are done after a Normal Move which includes run/retreat moves. This means that they are inflicting mortal wounds on the retreat to the unit they are engaged in.

On the other hand your Boingrots do all their stuff on the charge. So you get this combined effect of the hoppers soaking the charges, retreating out and inflicting mortals as they go then your Boingrots come in, inflict another round of mortal wounds and bring the pain with all the buffs applies.

Honestly the two units fit so well together, you'd almost thing they were designed to contrast and compliment ;) 

Lastly I'd use squig herds as your objective holders remember all your CA's/buffs only specify Squig units which Squig Herds most definitely are.

Edited by Malakree
Oh and don't forget they all have the Moonclan keyword so things like Puffshrooms still affect them!
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

My only issue with your strategy is that it involves putting Squig herds on objectives rather than trying to nom-nom-nom the enemy.   But I never claimed to play with sound strategies.

Someone has to sneaky sneaky ambush the silly sigmar lightning riders.

I have a vision for what I want. 

On one flank we have the Loon on Mangler leading SquigKnights.

On the other flank we have the DankTroll with a supporting Shaman of some kind plus Grots as screen.

I feel the DankTroll will murder almost anything it comes in contact with. Hopefully he can be buffed via magic and other stuff.

The rest will depend on other releases, magic, items, and battalions

7 hours ago, Malakree said:

Personal call. If you are going for a spiderfang based army and want to run scuttliings they make perfect stabbas. Just make sure you convert an icon/banner bearer etc.

Was talking with friend about shoota's vs. stabbas for scuttling stand-ins.  Not sure shields will work with the models (or which shields), and they seem mandatory for stabbas. 

Also, horde of shootas for home turf objective holding (and maybe later game teleporting) might complement spiderfang melee and speed and bit more than stabbas. 

9 hours ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

+ Also fellwater have 4 attacks 3+ 3+ -1 damage 2 vs the rockguts 2 attacks 3+ 3+ -2 damage 3, so potentially the fellwater trolls can kill more models.

My first thought seeing the Rockgut scroll was cheaper troll option!  But looking closer, I'm not so sure they'll be cheaper, in which case the Fellwaters seem a bit safer.   Two attacks for Rockguts is my biggest concern...I'd want a unit of 6 to get the 12 attack rolls that the 3 Fellwaters would have to not be so vulnerable to a bad rolls.  The auto-hit rock throwing MWs sounds amazing though!  

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Imperial said:

Just downloaded 31 warscroll from new book. Nice boost! Congratulation to everyone!

I only found 24!   The six spiders, four endless spells, terrrain, three squigs, two fanatics, two grots, warbosses on squiq and with squig, new loonking, fungoid and madcap shamans, fellwaters.   That's all the dowloadable scrolls I could find.  If you count the pics in the community and on the battletome, you get the loonboss on manglers, trollboss, mollog, and rockguts for 28.    What am I missing???!!!

Edited by DrDemento
forgot question marks

8 minutes ago, DrDemento said:

I only found 24!   The six spiders, four endless spells, terrrain, three squigs, two fanatics, two grots, warbosses on squiq and with squig, new loonking, fungoid and madcap shamans, fellwaters.   That's all the dowloadable scrolls I could find.  If you count the pics in the community and on the battletome, you get the loonboss on manglers, trollboss, mollog, and rockguts for 28.    What am I missing!!!!

6 spiders. 5 troggots, gargant, 14 grots, 4 spell, 1 terrain. Look at old modes warscroll on site. They was updated

21 minutes ago, Imperial said:

oh! 33! 

fix. 2 separeted warscroll... 

I can't find the 5th troggoth!!!  Mollog, Dank Boss, Fellwater, Rockgut.    Am I missing a big dankhold troggoth but not a hero?  I thought maybe I saw it somewhere but it's not in the community teasers... 

Forgeworld scrolls updated with Gloomspite keyword, including the Hag and the Bonegrinder!!!