AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

2 minutes ago, sorokyl said:

Actually that would be quite difficult to do, as you'd have to literally  stack the bases on top of each other to keep the unit in cohesion when they were in formation . (Base to base on round 60s, the 35mm marks would be over 2 inches apart... 60mm isn't really 60mm- it's larger... Need to stay within 1" for cohesion.).  Turn them the other way you say? Now impossible to charge at or hit anything. 

You are right that base sizes are recommendations, but are required at tournaments and strongly preferred by most playgroups

Maths on the base says

30mm radius vs 17.5 mm width from centre, leaving 12.5mm difference

2 x 12.5mm = 25mm, which is 1" basically, so when the 60mm is touching, they're 1" apart in reality, so all good right?

55 minutes ago, sorokyl said:

Actually that would be quite difficult to do, as you'd have to literally  stack the bases on top of each other to keep the unit in cohesion when they were in formation . (Base to base on round 60s, the 35mm marks would be over 2 inches apart... 60mm isn't really 60mm- it's larger... Need to stay within 1" for cohesion.).  Turn them the other way you say? Now impossible to charge at or hit anything. 

You are right that base sizes are recommendations, but are required at tournaments and strongly preferred by most playgroups

By the core rules you are 100% allowed to use whatever base you want... then you use the suggested base size for all game purposes. This is an unarguable fact of the game. That said all tournaments I play in have a "house rule" that you need the suggested bases.

We all need to be very clear what a "house rule" is and what a rule of the game is.

In a tournament both become rules of the event.

Many players decide to attend events based on what "house rules" are added and what are not. There is no right answer, it is only preference. The second you add a "house rule" you are altering the game. If you are altering the game you will make some happy and others unhappy. It's a fine balance. But we all should be aware at all times what is a GW rule and what is a "house rule"

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, svnvaldez said:

By the core rules you are 100% allowed to use whatever base you want... then you use the suggested base size for all game purposes. This is an unarguable fact of the game. That said all tournaments I play in have a "house rule" that you need the suggested bases.

We all need to be very clear what a "house rule" is and what a rule of the game is.

In a tournament both become rules of the event.

Many players decide to attend events based on what "house rules" are added and what are not. There is no right answer, it is only preference. The second you add a "house rule" you are altering the game. If you are altering the game you will make some happy and others unhappy. It's a fine balance. But we all should be aware at all times what is a GW rule and what is a "house rule" 

This is a good point, and I think it really reinforces that if you are concerned about how basing your models will affect the games you play, you should really talk to your playgroup or the venues you play at before you base your models.

No one around my runs AoS tournaments and my playgroup is pretty casual. If people are basing a model because they did a cool conversion or what not we are all for it. We only had an issue once when a guy (who no longer plays with us) tried to base large models (50mm) on 25mm bases so he could fit more into combat.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Congratz said:

Anybody know what the prices will be on the different units?

Apply salt...

Battletome Gloomspite Gitz $40   

Gloomspite Gitz Squig Hoppers $50 
Gloomspite Gitz Squig Herd $45 
Gloomspite Gitz Fanatics $40 
Gloomspite Gitz Grots $35 
Gloomspite Gitz Scragrott the Loonking $35 
Gloomspite Gitz Bad Moon Loonshrine $60 
Gloomspite Gitz Endless Spells $35 
Gloomspite Gitz Warscroll Cards $15 
Gloomspite Gitz Dice $30

• Like 1

It'll be interesting to see what the Australian prices will be, because going off those grots should be $10 cheaper if you compare a model with that price there with the Australian cost. They won't be but it would be cool, everything else seems pretty believable although I hope those squig hoppers will be worth it for $80 AUD.

4 hours ago, svnvaldez said:

Good for you I guess... ebay has a pretty standard 15% off all new GW kits fyi.

Ebay's shipping fees are bit too high to here, making that option unatractive, plus every order over 20€ at that store gives you stamp and with 10 of those you get 20€ voucher. Plus you usually get your order delivered to you 2-3 days...

• Like 1

I have my fingers crossed for 10 hoppers per box, especially at the propose price above. Going by the first image they showed with the reveal,  although there are multiples of the same squig body they can be built unique from one another with plenty of face and rider options. I can't see 5 being more expensive than 10 regular squigs with herders so that is my hope. *Waits for hopes of fielding 2 units of 20 to be shattered*

GloomspiteGitzRevealed-Dec26-SquigHoppers-Content.jpg

3 minutes ago, sorokyl said:

It's obviously 5 per kit bases on the unique poses. The question is, when is the last time they put two kits in one box for a brand new model. The early stormcast come 2 kits per box, but originally they came in smaller boxes? I wasn't around. 

They do it with Primaris Marines.

I think this comes down to base size? The Khinerai people are mentioning are on 40mm bases.  If the hoppers are on 40mm bases they could be 50 I suppose.  Khinerai are 45 so it would still be an expensive box though.

Just now, Caladancid said:

I think this comes down to base size? The Khinerai people are mentioning are on 40mm bases.  If the hoppers are on 40mm bases they could be 50 I suppose.  Khinerai are 45 so it would still be an expensive box though.

It's really not base size.  Melusai are $5 more, same base. Why? Same # of sprues.    100 bits vs 61 bits? Na. 

I think cost is roughly based on # of sprues but also perceived value / what they think they can get for it / market segment.    Even if 5 kits are the same amount of plastic, you want different prices.  Someone goes into the store wanting to spend $x, you need a product are that price. (maybe it's a gift, maybe you have a budget, etc.) They want to get that extra $5 or $10. So line up the 5 kits in order of cool. 

8 minutes ago, Caladancid said:

Hoppers are on 20mm I think? So very expensive for models that small (if they only come in 5's) in my opinion.

6 minutes ago, Matt Large said:

With so many variations of how to build the squigs, it will be a shame if they do come in 5’s, it will mean a lot of waste in spare faces and squig parts wouldn’t it? 

If you buy a bunch of these, you want them to look unique right? It's great, see how there are 10 hoppers pictured and some people still think there are 10 to a set of sprues, despite the fact that there are clearly 2 sets of duplicate bodies

1 minute ago, sorokyl said:

If you buy a bunch of these, you want them to look unique right? It's great, see how there are 10 hoppers pictured and some people still think there are 10 to a set of sprues, despite the fact that there are clearly 2 sets of duplicate bodies

Identical bodies are no evidence of it only being 5. you also get multiple bodies in space Marine boxes, Squitor boxes etc.

I still think it‘s 5 per box because it‘s GW we‘re talking about.

18 minutes ago, sorokyl said:

Yes clearly 5 different bodies, but parts to build at least 10 different variations as of the pictures, which means with every box, we will be left with at least 5 waste squig faces, or however its seperated, at least to my understanding. Which to me is a waste. 

Doesnt take away from how fantastic the models are though

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, sorokyl said:

It's really not base size.  Melusai are $5 more, same base. Why? Same # of sprues.    100 bits vs 61 bits? Na. 

I think cost is roughly based on # of sprues but also perceived value / what they think they can get for it / market segment.    Even if 5 kits are the same amount of plastic, you want different prices.  Someone goes into the store wanting to spend $x, you need a product are that price. (maybe it's a gift, maybe you have a budget, etc.) They want to get that extra $5 or $10. So line up the 5 kits in order of cool. 

Its not exactly base size- but it is a pretty good measurement. Witch Aelves are pretty universally (from what I can tell) regarded as a very expensive unit and they are 60 USD for 10 32mm models.  Can you imagine if these are 100 USD for 10 32mm models? 

Whether the price is determined by base size, sprues, perceived value, or the price of tea in China who knows.  But you can usually look at the base size and figure out approximately what the cost will be. I don't know if sprues and perceived value play into base size or vice versa, but the fact remains.

I suppose we will find out soon, but its an interesting discussion to have in the meantime haha.