AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

So today I had my first game in 3.0 when I played a 1500 points game against a Cities of Sigmar army (Living City). I used 2 Loon Boss on Manglers, 2 Fungoid Shamans, 1 unit of Squig Hoppers, 2 unit of Squig Herd, 1 unit of Boingrots and a unit of Snufflers (all min. Sized units).

He had Yndrasta, 1 mage, a hero on gryphon and a lot of foot soldiers. In the beginning he killed a lot of my units, but thanks to my mobility, that I had 2 monsters and a nice hand of Gork-spell I could get the win by the fourth battlerosin (I was leading by 8 points then and I would have one monster alive to get 3 points from my battle tactics). I also was lucky with the moon, since it's position made it possible to run and chrage twice with my squig hoppers. 

Some reflections:

* Yndrasta is really really good, and really hard to kill. Best is to avoid her or make her fight only chaff units. For 300 points and all the buffs she gives she should be quite common in many order armies in the future.

*Squig Hoppers mobility and MW on the fly by almost killed a 13 wound hero by themself, but that they are minimum 10 is suboptimal with their range and 32 mm base. Since they are one of few good ways to get MW in a Squig army I will probably use more units of them in other games.

*I don't know if Jaws of Mork is that good anymore. I rolled pretty average on my movement so I didn't need the reroll, and except for that I really don't se the point of JOM when I can get a better artifact and command ability if I don't take it. However, I guess it is a nice back up to be able to reroll movement if you roll bad.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Boingrot Bouncer said:

So today I had my first game in 3.0 when I played a 1500 points game against a Cities of Sigmar army (Living City). I used 2 Loon Boss on Manglers, 2 Fungoid Shamans, 1 unit of Squig Hoppers, 2 unit of Squig Herd, 1 unit of Boingrots and a unit of Snufflers (all min. Sized units).

He had Yndrasta, 1 mage, a hero on gryphon and a lot of foot soldiers. In the beginning he killed a lot of my units, but thanks to my mobility, that I had 2 monsters and a nice hand of Gork-spell I could get the win by the fourth battlerosin (I was leading by 8 points then and I would have one monster alive to get 3 points from my battle tactics). I also was lucky with the moon, since it's position made it possible to run and chrage twice with my squig hoppers. 

Some reflections:

* Yndrasta is really really good, and really hard to kill. Best is to avoid her or make her fight only chaff units. For 300 points and all the buffs she gives she should be quite common in many order armies in the future.

*Squig Hoppers mobility and MW on the fly by almost killed a 13 wound hero by themself, but that they are minimum 10 is suboptimal with their range and 32 mm base. Since they are one of few good ways to get MW in a Squig army I will probably use more units of them in other games.

*I don't know if Jaws of Mork is that good anymore. I rolled pretty average on my movement so I didn't need the reroll, and except for that I really don't se the point of JOM when I can get a better artifact and command ability if I don't take it. However, I guess it is a nice back up to be able to reroll movement if you roll bad.

thursday I will try gloomspite for the first time at 1500pt, I would like to play a mix between trolls and squigs but I feel short in points; in any case how did the boingrots and manglers in your game?

Edited by baiardo

8 hours ago, baiardo said:

thursday I will try gloomspite for the first time at 1500pt, I would like to play a mix between trolls and squigs but I feel short in points; in any case how did the boingrots and manglers in your game?

The boingrots didn't have much of a chance to do much due to how the game played out, but did one MW to the enemy general when they charged so that's something I guess.

For the LB on mangler squigs, my general didn't have a chance to do anything before he was killed (but he took a lot of hits to do that), but my other LB on mangler oneshotted a unit of 20 infantry (I rolled 16 wounds on 3D6 damage) and was the one to kill the enemy general. And since he was a monster he gave me bonus WP for my tactic for the round that was to kill the general. 

I think that since our squig battleline is so easily killed, one of the better grand strategies is to choose the one where you have a monster alive in the end. LB on manglers also has a big chance to heal 2D3 wounds per round so they are quite survivable if you also go all out defence. 

• Thanks 1

On the other side the other squig battleline we have cost almost as much and although they are on 25 mm base they don't feel as useful as Hoppers.

With a run they can move a big distance so they don't need to get into combat to do their MW, and can then do another flyby the next turn for more MW. On heroes and units with a good save that is really useful, since the rend 1 that our units have is easy to counter with all out defence so there is a risk that they do low damage on normal attacks.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

That Squig Hoppers don't doing MWs when they run or retreat is one of the most painful nerfs we received. I don't recommend using them

Gsg were too powerful with that ability, let others players have a chance too win against us!😄

In the fanta-AoS: "what's the next battletome?", we could benefit from one in the next 4/5 months. We'll see.

On 8/4/2021 at 12:45 PM, Boingrot Bouncer said:

On the other side the other squig battleline we have cost almost as much and although they are on 25 mm base they don't feel as useful as Hoppers.

With a run they can move a big distance so they don't need to get into combat to do their MW, and can then do another flyby the next turn for more MW. On heroes and units with a good save that is really useful, since the rend 1 that our units have is easy to counter with all out defence so there is a risk that they do low damage on normal attacks.

Gloom.pdf

I want to play that list but I'm open to tips!

Edited by baiardo

Anyone tried loonsmasha fanatics in 3.0? I love running them in lists where i can teleport a unit early behind enemy lines then release and charge at some high value targets first round. But with both unleash hell and monsterous rampage i feel this tactic may be suicide, as they wont get full value from their first strike vs many targets. 

Planning my first 3.0 gsg army for this weekend :)

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, Boingrot Bouncer said:

Some reflections:

Thanks for the write up. I also play Squigs so was really useful for me. I have a 1 day 2k pts event a week on Sunday and I am thinking of using this 3 drop list: (what are your thoughts?)

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz
- Option: Gloomspite Gitz
- Mortal Realm: Ghur
- Grand Strategy: Beast Master
- Triumphs: Indomitable

Leaders
Loonboss on Mangler Squigs (310) in Battle Regiment
- General
- Command Trait: Fight Another Day  
Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig (110) in Battle Regiment
- Moon-cutta
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact) (Spell: Lore of the Moonclans - Squig Lure)

Battleline
10 x Squig Hoppers (180) in Battle Regiment

Units
10 x Boingrot Bounderz (210) in Battle Regiment
- Reinforced x 1
6 x Sneaky Snufflers (75) in Battle Regiment

Behemoths
Mangler Squigs (275) in Alpha-Beast Pack
Skitterstrand Arachnarok (200) in Battle Regiment

Core Battalions
Battle Regiment
Alpha-Beast Pack

Total: 1995 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 1 / 4
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 148

Ive also decided to drop the Jaws of Mork sub allegiance. Loosing the Warscroll Battalions it gave us was a big loss and even though the re-roll movement is nice, the tax on the command trait and artefact is steep for what we gain. 

The idea of my list is to garrison the Sneaky Snufflers camping an objective in the loonshrine for added protection, buffing up Bounderz and Manglers with their increased range from the shrine.

The Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig will have the Arcane Tomb universal artefact to make him a caster. He will have the Squig Lure spell and support the units going forwards using the spell and his +3 movement cmd ability to make everything extremely mobile.

Running x4 monsters will hopefully give me a great chance at getting additional bonus VP from battle tactics and having a monster alive at the end of the game to complete my grand strategy. This is also why I decided to run a cheeky spider. I plan to start it in reserve and can bring it on turn 3 from ambush maybe snagging an easy objective or hero but also thinking about it being around at the end of the game for the grand strategy. With 14 wounds and depending where I bring him on there won't be long left for my opponent to bring it down. 

The x2 Manglers will be in the Alpha Beat Pack for an increased D6 movement at the start of the game. With all the increased mobility buffs already mentioned and being a very fast (although random) army means I can get in my opponent's face very quickly.

Think my main weakness is running x2 heroes that are easy to kill and the bounderz and hoppers coherency rules limiting their damage output. I was considering swapping the spider out for a caster etc but I really like the idea of the spider for the extra monster and all the additional VP I could get with it as already mentioned. An the end of the game VP wins games...

2 hours ago, Smash said:

Anyone tried loonsmasha fanatics in 3.0? I love running them in lists where i can teleport a unit early behind enemy lines then release and charge at some high value targets first round. But with both unleash hell and monsterous rampage i feel this tactic may be suicide, as they wont get full value from their first strike vs many targets. 

Planning my first 3.0 gsg army for this weekend :)

If you're playing with fanatics make very sure they won't get unleash hell'd when they charge. almost any shooting can tear through 5 wounds on a 6+, even with a -1 to hit. So use them against things that can't use unleash hell, or charge the grots in first.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Primo said:

Thanks for the write up. I also play Squigs so was really useful for me. I have a 1 day 2k pts event a week on Sunday and I am thinking of using this 3 drop list: (what are your thoughts?)

Leaders
- General
- Moon-cutta
- Artefact: Arcane Tome (Universal Artefact) (Spell: Lore of the Moonclans - Squig Lure)

Battleline

Units
- Reinforced x 1

Behemoths

Core Battalions
Battle Regiment
Alpha-Beast Pack

Ive also decided to drop the Jaws of Mork sub allegiance. Loosing the Warscroll Battalions it gave us was a big loss and even though the re-roll movement is nice, the tax on the command trait and artefact is steep for what we gain. 

The idea of my list is to garrison the Sneaky Snufflers camping an objective in the loonshrine for added protection, buffing up Bounderz and Manglers with their increased range from the shrine.

The Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig will have the Arcane Tomb universal artefact to make him a caster. He will have the Squig Lure spell and support the units going forwards using the spell and his +3 movement cmd ability to make everything extremely mobile.

Running x4 monsters will hopefully give me a great chance at getting additional bonus VP from battle tactics and having a monster alive at the end of the game to complete my grand strategy. This is also why I decided to run a cheeky spider. I plan to start it in reserve and can bring it on turn 3 from ambush maybe snagging an easy objective or hero but also thinking about it being around at the end of the game for the grand strategy. With 14 wounds and depending where I bring him on there won't be long left for my opponent to bring it down. 

The x2 Manglers will be in the Alpha Beat Pack for an increased D6 movement at the start of the game. With all the increased mobility buffs already mentioned and being a very fast (although random) army means I can get in my opponent's face very quickly.

Think my main weakness is running x2 heroes that are easy to kill and the bounderz and hoppers coherency rules limiting their damage output. I was considering swapping the spider out for a caster etc but I really like the idea of the spider for the extra monster and all the additional VP I could get with it as already mentioned. An the end of the game VP wins games...

Looks good, I added sneaky snufflers to my list since I had exactly 75 points left but got no use of them in my game. Dependent on scenarios they can give an effect or only be 12 wounds that will be killed of easily by your opponent.

Nice idea about the spider, might use that idea myself!

On 8/5/2021 at 6:12 PM, ColsBols said:

so how did spiderfang emerge on the other side of 3.0? are we any better?

Despite nearly every other behemoth got a huge price hike, the Arachnaroks were left mostly untouched.  That's a pretty big plus considering all the new Monster rules!

Spider Riders are still...Spider Riders but at least their price didn't get hiked either, unlike Grots and Squig Herds.

Edited by Dingding123

Afternoon folks,

Ive been playing 1k games recently against a friend, as we both pick up the changes between 1.0 and 2.0. Unfortunately, this means I've been facing a nasty Mawtribes list (Frostlord on Stonehorn, minimum mournfang battleline, and a unit of ironguts).

So far I've tried the following lists -

- Fungoid, Loonboss and Madcap, 40 Stabbas, 12 Squig Herd , 10 Boingrots & 6 Sneaky Snufflers. This was taken as a Warlord batallion, with the spell enhancement. Spells taken was Great Green Spite, Itchy Nuisance on the Fungoid, and then GGSpite and Squig Lure on the Moonclan.

- Dankhold Troggboss, Webspinner Shaman, 6 Rockgut, 3 Fellwater, 10 Boingrots. Webspinner has sneaky distraction, Troggboss has the 4+ ward relic that switches off on a 1, and the trait to reroll club damage. 

I suspect this may just be a "rock paper scissors" situation where I'm playing relatively fragile lists against a powerhouse combat list, and I'm wondering if anyone has had any success against Mawtribes themselves, or any tips against them, or whether it's just a case of 1k games being skewed.

I've got the units in the image attached, plus another box of fanatics in case anyone can offer suggestions. 

Screenshot_20210817-144251.jpg

1 hour ago, MMtheBLM said:

Afternoon folks,

Ive been playing 1k games recently against a friend, as we both pick up the changes between 1.0 and 2.0. Unfortunately, this means I've been facing a nasty Mawtribes list (Frostlord on Stonehorn, minimum mournfang battleline, and a unit of ironguts).

So far I've tried the following lists -

- Fungoid, Loonboss and Madcap, 40 Stabbas, 12 Squig Herd , 10 Boingrots & 6 Sneaky Snufflers. This was taken as a Warlord batallion, with the spell enhancement. Spells taken was Great Green Spite, Itchy Nuisance on the Fungoid, and then GGSpite and Squig Lure on the Moonclan.

- Dankhold Troggboss, Webspinner Shaman, 6 Rockgut, 3 Fellwater, 10 Boingrots. Webspinner has sneaky distraction, Troggboss has the 4+ ward relic that switches off on a 1, and the trait to reroll club damage. 

I suspect this may just be a "rock paper scissors" situation where I'm playing relatively fragile lists against a powerhouse combat list, and I'm wondering if anyone has had any success against Mawtribes themselves, or any tips against them, or whether it's just a case of 1k games being skewed.

I've got the units in the image attached, plus another box of fanatics in case anyone can offer suggestions. 

Screenshot_20210817-144251.jpg

Gsg at 1k are really bad, maw tribes are really good.

You need to switch to 1.5 or 2k.

On 8/4/2021 at 8:09 PM, Primo said:

Leaders
- General
- Moon-cutta

Battleline

Units
- Reinforced x 1

Behemoths

Core Battalions
Battle Regiment
Alpha-Beast Pack

How did this list perform? I'm interested in starting a Squig army and thinking of a non-horde - monster/elite fast moving army that is still somewhat able to put up a decent fight.

This list looks pretty solid with well thought out strategy!

Edited by InSaint

2 hours ago, InSaint said:

How did this list perform? I'm interested in starting a Squig army and thinking of a non-horde - monster/elite fast moving army that is still somewhat able to put up a decent fight.

This list looks pretty solid with well thought out strategy!

a similar list take a good placement(like 12/24) XD in a recent tournament but with +12x herds +fungoid and -10xhoppers -6xsniffers

Edited by baiardo
  • Like 1

On 8/4/2021 at 2:09 PM, Primo said:

Leaders
- General
- Moon-cutta

Battleline

Units
- Reinforced x 1

Behemoths

Core Battalions
Battle Regiment
Alpha-Beast Pack

Hey, how goes the list at the event?

9 hours ago, Chumphammer said:

List idea (both additional are artifacts was a click mistake)

Basically bored of boingrotts bouncing off stuff not in a goodway

Edit: forgot monsters can't be hunters so would just make it troggoths and 1 herd

Screenshot_20210825-220622_Discord.jpg

I don't think squig herds are so good to play them in 3x if you still have your battlelines, they don't provide in anything, more troll are much better imo.

We suffer in many things, less damage without ex battalions and expansive battleline both in points and models and keywords super restrictive(all of that's bad design).

Skragrott is the big leader of gsg but still, the battlelines he can take are only stabbas/shotas and need to be the general for his CA, they should make him warlord like arkhan at least

We can do "well" with a mega-gargant as ally:

- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:
LEADERS
Bundo Whalebiter (490)
- Allies
Loonboss on Mangler Squigs (310)
Webspinner Shaman on Arachnarok Spider (295)
Skragrott, The Loonking (230)
- General
Madcap Shaman (80)
UNITS
12 x Squig Herd (160)
20 x Shootas (140)
20 x Shootas (140)
3 x Rockgut Troggoths (145)
TOTAL: 1990/2000 WOUNDS: 147

That's not mine but took a 4°place recently

Edited by baiardo

1 hour ago, baiardo said:

I don't think squig herds are so good to play them in 3x if you still have your battlelines, they don't provide in anything, more troll are much better imo.

We suffer in many things, less damage without ex battalions and expansive battleline both in points and models and keywords super restrictive(all of that's bad design).

Skragrott is the big leader of gsg but still, the battlelines he can take are only stabbas/shotas and need to be the general for his CA, they should make him warlord like arkhan at least

We can do "well" with a mega-gargant as ally:

- Grand Strategy:
- Triumphs:
LEADERS
Bundo Whalebiter (490)
- Allies
Loonboss on Mangler Squigs (310)
Webspinner Shaman on Arachnarok Spider (295)
Skragrott, The Loonking (230)
- General
Madcap Shaman (80)
UNITS
12 x Squig Herd (160)
20 x Shootas (140)
20 x Shootas (140)
3 x Rockgut Troggoths (145)
TOTAL: 1990/2000 WOUNDS: 147

That's not mine but took a 4°place recently

I dont have more Troggoths lol. That is all I have at this time and till a new book I dont really wanna get more gitz unless I see a good deal 

• Like 1