AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

34 minutes ago, Pitloze said:

As somehow who wants to focus on Grots and Troggoths. Which Spiderfang and Squig units are still worth including?

You can probably skip most of whats in spiderfang, the only stand-out if you aren't focusing on spiderfang synergy is the arachnarok shaman. He's a dual caster with +1 to cast he can take a spell to project a -1 to hit bubble, which can make grots and fellwaters much more durable. 

For squigs, herds are cheaper than grots in min sizes so you can skimp on battleline if you need to. Boingrots are strong but your trolls will probably already be filling the hammer role.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Just a quick question regarding the random movement and running of some of the Squig units ( Hoppers, Bounderz, Manglers etc). Can I roll the dice for their normal movement, see what I get, then decide if I want to run them? Or do I have to declare that I am running before I roll the dice for their normal random movement? I've tried to clarify this but cant find anything in the rules or other posts. Thanks in advance :)

12 hours ago, Maserdom said:

You declare that the unit will run right away during its basic movement, unfortunately (unlike 40k).

FWIW you don't run in the shooting phase in 40k for a while now. It's called advancing and it's done in the movement phase.

I guess I'm kinda interested about this topic: is the rolling of dice to determine the movement stat already considered moving? I mean if you roll to see the distance and decide not to move, has the unit remained stationary or does it count as having moved? If it's the former, then I suppose you can declare that you decide to run after seeing the result since you haven't initiated any movement yet. If it's the latter (i.e. rolling to determine move stat is considered movement) then you would have to decide about running before rolling for movement.

From the AoS Core Rules booklet:

RUNNING

When you pick a unit to make a normal move, you can declare that it will run. Make a run roll for the unit by rolling a dice. Add the result of the run roll to the Move characteristic of all models in the unit for that movement phase.

You select a unit for a normal move -> you declare a Run move -> you roll -> normal move + run roll distance

You don't get to roll or move 0 inches because you already have to choose the Run option when you pick a unit.

This tricky part of the ruleset really only comes into play for our bounders, hoppers, etc and a handful of other models with random movement. In every other case you already know how far the unit will go with a normal move and choose, accordingly, to either Run or move like usual.

Edited by Maserdom
addendum

4 hours ago, Maserdom said:

From the AoS Core Rules booklet:

You select a unit for a normal move -> you declare a Run move -> you roll -> normal move + run roll distance

You don't get to roll or move 0 inches because you already have to choose the Run option when you pick a unit.

This tricky part of the ruleset really only comes into play for our bounders, hoppers, etc and a handful of other models with random movement. In every other case you already know how far the unit will go with a normal move and choose, accordingly, to either Run or move like usual.

Where does it say when random stats are determined? I.e. when do you actually roll the move distance? Start of the movement phase or when you actually decide that a unit is going to move (i.e. is rolling the distance for movement part of the move in itself)? I get that you roll running when you decide to move but there's a bit of confusion about the timing of things.

The random stat is determined when you perform the chosen action.

In this case, you choose the unit, declare Run / Won't Run, roll if Running, do Basic Movement which translates to rolling for said movement AND rolling for Running if applicable. In the second case you follow the universal GW addendo to multiple rolling that suggests using different dice if multiple actions must be takenb at the same time (I remember reading about it in the new 40k manual, in the shooting section).

Still it makes sense and that's how I play my squigs-only army. I always keep a bunch of brightly colored dice at hand for this specific case (roll two normal dice fr movement PLUS the other colored die for running).

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

Ooh those are awesome! Can they be taken alone and what are their points costs?

Pretty much all the details on them are in those 3 pictures. Like Gobbapalooza they can't be taken separately, but you get all 4 and the battalion for 240, which isn't too bad tbh.

I'm converting my own version of them, as my local store has said they are fine for me to play them in all but official tournament game. Allows me to run a complete squig list with wizards, plus I think the mini-manglers are adorable

Edited by Qrow

Can anyone link me a good competitive magic heavy Skragrott the looking Skagrott list? If it includes the Hag that would make me happy. But not a must.

This is what I have in house atm:

• Troggoth Hag
  • Skragrott
  • Fungoid Cave shaman
  • Two madcap shamans
  • Loonboss
  • Mollog
  • 20 grots (would have bought more if GW stocks lasted)
  • one unit sneaky snufflers
  • 6 rockgut troggoths

Loonshrine Lore? Where can i find it? 
I am starting a Troggoth army and i am really torn on the loonshrine.
Why are there a moon on the top of the cave? How did it get there? Who shaped it. (the two moonfaces is a symbol of both gorka and morka?)
I feel the look of it is too much grots and was wondering the origin of it and how I can implement it in my army lore. I was thinking of cutting the moon part of and plant som more shrooms and a tree or two instead. 
I like the idea that my troggoths sleept in the cave and got disturbed by the enemy army. and now they woke up they are hungry. 

16 hours ago, Maelke said:

Why are there a moon on the top of the cave? How did it get there? Who shaped it. (the two moonfaces is a symbol of both gorka and morka?)
I feel the look of it is too much grots and was wondering the origin of it and how I can implement it in my army lore. I was thinking of cutting the moon part of and plant som more shrooms and a tree or two instead. 
I like the idea that my troggoths sleept in the cave and got disturbed by the enemy army. and now they woke up they are hungry. 

I saw someone who had greenstuff'ed the nose on the moon to make it more troggoth-like.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Calebexnihilo said:

I saw someone who had greenstuff'ed the nose on the moon to make it more troggoth-like.

Well that is a start. I just still have way too many questions abouth this strange mooncave to just blindly belive in it ;)

19 hours ago, Maelke said:

the lore should be in the battletome

from what I remember its basically a meteor cause by the Bad moon when it orbits the skies and it lands on the surface. it somewhat infused with bad moon energy and called Loonstone

then the grots emerge from their underground lair and start to carved into the loonstone and eventually it looks like a face similar to the bad moon.

Edited by novakai
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, novakai said:

the lore should be in the battletome

from what I remember its basically a meteor cause by the Bad moon when it orbits the skies and it lands on the surface. it somewhat infused with bad moon energy and called Loonstone

then the grots emerge from their underground lair and start to carved into the loonstone and eventually it looks like a face similar to the bad moon.

Thanks mate, i might need the battletome then haha. Makes sence that it is in there. 
That idea i can work with. 

"The Bad Moon Loonshrine is a lynchpin in Gloomspite Gitz armies, disgorging teeming hordes of infantry and emboldening your forces. Hewn from glowing chunks of the Bad Moon itself, these megalithic structures quickly become encrusted with fungi and charged with strange energies."

There is a bit more on the warscroll from the website.

Has anyone tried the honest wargamer's fanatic bomb idea? This is my take on it:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz
Mortal Realm: Aqshy
Skragrott, The Loonking (220)
- General
- Lore of the Moonclans: The Hand of Gork
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Artefact: Thermalrider Cloak
- Lore of the Moonclans: The Great Green Spite
60 x Stabbas (360)
- Stabbas & Moon Shields
40 x Shootas (240)
40 x Shootas (240)
6 x Sneaky Snufflers (70)
5 x Loonsmasha Fanatics (140)
Skulkmob Horde (160)
Moonclan Skrap (120)
Chronomantic Cogs (80)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 177

Hide all 3 units of Fanatics in the 60 stabbas. Deploy Skraggrot where dispels cant reach him if possible. Casts cogs (in gotta go fast mode) and hand of gork (+1 to cast from warscroll ability). If everything goes well you have a guaranteed 15 "attacks first" fanatics in your opponent's craw turn one.  Shootas shoot from behind stabbas and stabbas can choose to charge or sit there and screen. Fungoid is flying 9 inches, or 15 with a maxed run roll, for battleshock support and hero battleplans. If you fail your cast(s) you can still run up your stabbas 13 and release the fanatics.

Lots of ways to mix this up. Teleport some sacrificial shootas instead of stabbas and have them soften up key targets before the fanatics go in, split the fanatics into different units if your opponent is screening a mobile/flying threat, give away priority and set up for a double turn, ect. Best of all, its one fat drop if needed.

Concerned about damage after the fanatics die, especially against heavy screening (looking at you skaven). From that point it will be about securing enough of a lead that your opponent cant recover. Also considered replacing the fungoid shaman with a regular madcap shaman with moonface mommit (-1 to save to a unit within 12) to help shootas or stabbas do a bit more damage, but he is very vulnerable to sniping.  Could also switch out skraggrot for a cheaper hero + endless spells? Will have to play around with the list with and without battalions as well.

Thoughts? Anyone tried something like this? 

PS: I've read the FAQs and I still don't quite understand how the interaction between Slannesh locus and fanatics would play out... 

edit: cant put multiple fans in one unit. List still works but not nearly as alpha punchy. New list without battalions in separate post.

Edited by Verminlord