AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

I'd really like to see Squig Herds gain a max size discount.  Something like 70/240 would be nice.  It's not going to break them but it could give you some room for an extra support character or unit, or an endless spell.  

I don't think a point change alone will do it for Gobbapalooza.  Unless they're changed more substantially, you're just going to be paying a tax to get 2 or 3 (I think the Spiker is borderline and very army-build dependent) decent characters and 2 that are basically a waste (Brewgit and Scaremonger).  If they allowed them to be taken individually tho, 2 would just not see much play and GW doesn't want that.  They're also unlikely to change Warscrolls dramatically in GHB, so I'm not holding out hope that the Gobbapalooza will change enough to be competitive.  Fieldable in a friendly game sure, but not otherwise. 

It might be extreme, but I think the wizards from Gobbapalooza should be allowed a lore spell, and I wish the other 3 had a table of 3-6 "Know-wotz" abilities that they could pick from (like prayers) but still only be allowed 1 per hero phase.  A big miss in the book if you ask me.  Prayers are cool and characterful, and they seem to have just thrown Gloomspite a half-baked version, most of which are just plain meh in practice.  I have little hope that they'd do this, but I'd take them at their current cost if this happened.

Edited by FPC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't get your hopes too high. I can't see many adjustments tbh a few units and battalions. I can see them adjusting the units they think they will sell most of. Currently the squigs don't seem to be played very much and I can see a discount here, also some of the larger units like the mangers and large spiders. I can't see them taking more than 20 points away thou. I presume they are testing things with tweaked points as we speak.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

So I expect that we won't see more than cost updates.  The biggest type of errata change I could see coming to warscrolls would potentially be adjustment of keywords.  That seems like a low-impact change in regards to existing physical products but that could be a big change for army performance.

If they drop the grot keyword from some of the buffs and just have moonclan (or the other way around) it would open up a lot more synergy to the army then just buffing up stabbas

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, ianob said:

Figured you guys might be interested in this (sorry for the copypaste)

Literally been waiting for this for 5 months.

Suggestion... when the GH drops in June would you look into doing a early state of the meta episode where you talk about how you think army builds and results will change (Not just for GS but all armies).

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, novakai said:

The wildest dream would be if every buff that currently Moonclan Grot is specified to be Moonclan or Grot so everything gets a buff in the book except trolls

of course, this is probably opening the Floodgates too much

I honestly don’t think it is - especially given the books that have released after Gloomspite.  Honestly, I think a few of the Moonclan grot specific buffs would be better as simply Gloomspite buffs.  I think some things should be confined to grots, and possibly just Moonclan grots, but I also think this book was too narrowly focused in how they developed synergy.

13 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

I honestly don’t think it is - especially given the books that have released after Gloomspite.  Honestly, I think a few of the Moonclan grot specific buffs would be better as simply Gloomspite buffs.  I think some things should be confined to grots, and possibly just Moonclan grots, but I also think this book was too narrowly focused in how they developed synergy.

I feel like sometimes they are really conservative about things in a battletome then go "F*ck it" in the next tome or so. For instance, comparing fanatics to other attack at the start of the combat phase units they seem overcosted. Or the big one for me is how constrained summoning is for Maggotkin of Nurgle then in Legions of Nagash they went hog wild with it. I know there's always other factors and you can't just directly compare two units or abilities but it really feels like sometimes they readjust the points cost of abilities in whatever points calculator they use.

Personal expectations of points changes. Tiny is ~5/10 points, Minor is ~10/20 points, Average is ~20 points, Large is ~40+ points.

Troggs

• Troggboss - Large discount
  • Dankhold - Large discount
  • Mollog - Minor discount

Grots

• Skragrott - Minor discount
  • Loonboss with Giant Cave Squig - Minor discount
  • Fungoid - Minor increase
  • Madcap Shaman - Minor discount
  • Shootas - Minor discount + Massive Regiment reduction added
  • Gobbapalooza - both "unit" and battalion Large discount

Squigs

• Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig - Minor discount
  • Cave Squigs - Massive Regiment reduction added
  • Squig Hoppers - Average discount and Massive Regiment reduction added
  • Boingrots - Minor increase
  • Mangler Squig - Minor discount

Spiderfang

• Webspinner Arachnarok - Minor discount
  • Webspinner - Tiny discount
  • Spider Riders - Tiny discount, reduced Massive Regiment size and Improved Massive Regiment reduction
  • Skitterstrand Arachnarok - Large discount
  • Flinger Arachnarok - Large discount
  • Warparty Arachnarok - Minor discount

Miscellaneous

• Aleguzzler - Laughably Tiny discount
  • Loonsmashas - Minor discount
  • Sporesplattas - Minor discount
  • Scuttletide - Minor increase
  • Malevolent Moon - Minor decrease
  • Scrapscuttle - Average discount
  • Mushroom - Average discount

Battalions

• Troggherd - Large discount
  • Skitterstrand Nest - Large discount
  • Skitterswarm - Minor discount

Oh and "laughably small" is maybe 5 points if the gargant is lucky, maybe even a points increase because of how OP it is....

EDIT: 

22 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

Please god make the snufflers and sporesplattas all gloomspite, my rockguts would LOVE +2 attacks!

Edited by Malakree
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Please god make the snufflers and sporesplattas all gloomspite, my rockguts would LOVE +2 attacks!

Sure, but do we honestly think that expanding either of those 2 buffs to Troggs or spiders would be over the top?  Given other things in the wild I am not sure they would be.  These are also 2 fragile units that have other things that restrict how they can be used (wholly within, cannot move, etc).

I don't think every ability should be unleashed across all of Gloomspite, but there are a few that I do.  For me, I would like the Gobbapalooza to lose the narrow buff focus and be able to operate as a faction-wide buff unit.  If the Brewgit worked on all heroes I would love him.  Right now his target selection is so narrow that the only compelling use is either for Skragrott or for the ranged prodder attacks from the Loonboss with Cave Squig.  The other uses are just not worth having him.  For the Scaremonger I find that his buff would be the most compelling for Trolls (which he cannot effect) and I have little desire to use him on Moonclan Grot units as opposed to a command point for a 6" run or a charge reroll.  The Spiker would be useful for just about any unit that attacks either ranged or melee.  Reroll 1s to wound is good but not the most amazing ability out there.  It would be a big potential boon for Troggs, useful on Squigs although not overly necessary in lists with the Mangler Boss, and it could be pretty useful for Spiderfang units ranged attacks.

The point is that they could do a whole lot for Gloomspite with tweaks to keywords for units or abilities.

45 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Grots

• Skragrott - Minor discount
  • Fungoid - Minor increase

Squigs

• Squig Hoppers - Average discount and Massive Regiment reduction added

Your thoughts mostly mirror mine except for the above.  I don't feel that Skragrott needs a tweak at all.  He is such a bundle of unique abilities and generally listed as the closest thing to an auto-include for most people.  To me the willingness of most people to reach for him before anything else says that there is nothing over priced about him.

I think the Fungoid is right on target for cost.  His personal spell is hardly ever going to get used and if it was removed most people would not notice.  He is nice because he is durable, still cheap, and generates command points.  The command point generation is immensely useful, but I don't feel that it is as amazing within Gloomspite as it would be in other armies.  We are not an army that requires too many command abilities and we tend to have a decent amount of command points.  We have a number of useful ones, but not a ton that I would say are lynchpin style abilities.  Of the ones we have I would say the most important are the Loonboss on Squig speed boost and the spider shaman double venom damage.  If you are running Squig or Spider lists then you will heavily use those abilities - but the rest are simply nice-to-have type of abilities.  Honestly the most useful command ability we will use throughout most battles is Inspiring Presence.  Maybe they deem the Fungoid to be too cheap - but I honestly don't see it.  I could see a price increase if they allowed him to take a shaman relic - but currently the only real major reason to bring a Macap rather than a Fungoid would be the mommet relic in my opinion.  

Hoppers I don't disagree with your assessment, but I honestly see no value in a regiment discount.  I like this unit and I think it is overcosted, but I also don't think there is much point in running them in units larger than 10 - regardless of what their cost is.  Fielding this as a full-size of 20 really does not give you anything.  Due to base size the unit cannot fight in multiple ranks (the big advantage of the Squig Herd) and a big unit is going to make it harder to pull off bouncing over enemy units to inflict damage.  10 seems like the sweet spot and so I hope that they reduce the cost of the unit itself rather than a horde bonus.  I would rather run 2 units of 10 than a single unit of 20 in just about every case I can think of.

Edited by Skabnoze

38 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Personal expectations of points changes. Tiny is ~5/10 points, Minor is ~10/20 points, Average is ~20 points, Large is ~40+ points.

I would love all of these. I expect 10% of these. Will be interesting to compare your list after the GH.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

Your thoughts mostly mirror mine except for the above.  I don't feel that Skragrott needs a tweak at all.  He is such a bundle of unique abilities and generally listed as the closest thing to an auto-include for most people.  To me the willingness of most people to reach for him before anything else says that there is nothing over priced about him.

This is what I like to call "battered destruction syndrome"

Spoiler

Allegiance: Chaos
Astreia Solbright (220)
Lord-Aquilor (200)
Lord-Arcanum on Celestial Dracoline (240)
Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (240)
Lord-Celestant on Dracoth (220)
- Tempestos Hammer & Thundershield
Kurdoss Valentian, the Craven King (220)
Lady Olynder, Mortarch of Grief (240)
Akhelian King (240)
Auric Runeson on Magmadroth (240)
- Ancestral War-axe
Bloodwrack Shrine (220)
Grey Seer on Screaming Bell (200)
Verminlord Corruptor (260)
Verminlord Warpseer (260)
Sayl the Faithless (200)
Syll'Esske, the Vengeful Allegiance (200)
The Contorted Epitome (200)
Plague Priest on Plague Furnace (180)
Tzaangor Shaman (180)

He's really solid for us, in honesty though he's probably only worth 180-200 in comparison to other armies.

57 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

I think the Fungoid is right on target for cost.  His personal spell is hardly ever going to get used and if it was removed most people would not notice.  He is nice because he is durable, still cheap, and generates command points.  The command point generation is immensely useful, but I don't feel that it is as amazing within Gloomspite as it would be in other armies.  We are not an army that requires too many command abilities and we tend to have a decent amount of command points.  We have a number of useful ones, but not a ton that I would say are lynchpin style abilities.  Of the ones we have I would say the most important are the Loonboss on Squig speed boost and the spider shaman double venom damage.  If you are running Squig or Spider lists then you will heavily use those abilities - but the rest are simply nice-to-have type of abilities.  Honestly the most useful command ability we will use throughout most battles is Inspiring Presence.  Maybe they deem the Fungoid to be too cheap - but I honestly don't see it.  I could see a price increase if they allowed him to take a shaman relic - but currently the only real major reason to bring a Macap rather than a Fungoid would be the mommet relic in my opinion.  

I'm expecting it because of other armies and the relationship to the madcap/webspinner. He's currently really powerful in Ironjawz and eclipses our other casters. I can see him going up to 100 and the Madcap/Webspinner going down to 70.

58 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

Hoppers I don't disagree with your assessment, but I honestly see no value in a regiment discount.  I like this unit and I think it is overcosted, but I also don't think there is much point in running them in units larger than 10 - regardless of what their cost is.  Fielding this as a full-size of 20 really does not give you anything.  Due to base size the unit cannot fight in multiple ranks (the big advantage of the Squig Herd) and a big unit is going to make it harder to pull off bouncing over enemy units to inflict damage.  10 seems like the sweet spot and so I hope that they reduce the cost of the unit itself rather than a horde bonus.  I would rather run 2 units of 10 than a single unit of 20 in just about every case I can think of.

This is actually the reason for the massive regiment reduction. Hoppers are currently 90/360. If they were to drop to 80/260 you suddenly have a very real decision on your hand. You can buy 2 blocks of 10 for 320 or 1 block of 20 for 240, it makes them a very competitive battleline choice for Squig based armies, I'd also suggest 70/220 for Squig Herd.

It bumps up the weaker parts of the Squig faction in a way that doesn't buff the overall squig lists (as they are based around mass boingrots/manglers/stabbas)

1 hour ago, Malakree said:

This is what I like to call "battered destruction syndrome"

Well, if anyone has played Destruction long enough (and Goblins specifically) to suffer from this then it is probably me.  That said, I would say I probably fall more into some version of masochism rather than being battered.  Being battered implies that you are making excuses for someone beating up on you rather than enjoying getting punched in the face.  Given that I play goblins & weird monsters primarily because I really like goblins & weird monsters and overall I am stupidly happy that we actually got a full army book I will freely admit to being a GW masochi.st at some levels.  Despite the fact that I post complaints and criticisms about portions of this book do not get the impression that I don't love the book.  Honestly, I think this is the greatest army book ever written by Games Workshop and the only possible way they could make a better battletome would be to rewrite this one.

He's really solid for us, in honesty though he's probably only worth 180-200 in comparison to other armies.

While I don't think you should evaluate any book in a vacuum and ignore cross-book comparisons, I also don't think direct point cost comparisons hold up well if they are absent a holistic view of the army.  Some armies will pay more or less for something than another book will depending on a few factors.  How prevalent is this thing in the army?  The more of something an army has the less valuable it can become for that army and vice versa.  What Skragrott does for Gloomspite is immense and that is even when he is not the general.  He is absolutely unique and there is generally a cost of some form for that.

Looking at that list I think Skragrott is much more unique to the force than a number of those characters.  I would say the closest comparison is Lady Olynder and she is about the same price.  I would not complain if GW reduced his cost, but it seems unnecessary to me.

This is actually the reason for the massive regiment reduction. Hoppers are currently 90/360. If they were to drop to 80/260 you suddenly have a very real decision on your hand. You can buy 2 blocks of 10 for 320 or 1 block of 20 for 240, it makes them a very competitive battleline choice for Squig based armies, I'd also suggest 70/220 for Squig Herd.

It bumps up the weaker parts of the Squig faction in a way that doesn't buff the overall squig lists (as they are based around mass boingrots/manglers/stabbas)

I still disagree with you about the Hoppers.  As I said in my post, I would prefer 2 units of 10 to a max unit of 20 regardless of cost - and I mean current or discounted.  The discount would have to be extremely steep (close to free) for a max unit to entice me.  My issue is that the max unit adds nothing aside from some wound buffers.  A very cheap max unit is basically a faster squig herd that fights worse and I am not certain there is a lot of value in that.  For that role I think a unit of Squig Herd with a Hero on Squig to buff movement is a better plan as you can speed them up enough to get onto an objective and they can hold it better.  A really big unit of Hoppers becomes harder to maneuver and harder to get bounce damage by hopping over enemy units.  I really like Hoppers and I would love a reason to consider the max unit, but I just don't see one and for me it has little to do with cost.

I am fully on board, and agree, with a cost reduction for the basic unit.  But I see no gain at all from a Hopper horde discount because I don't see a compelling use for a max size unit.  

Now, I agree with you about a horde discount for Squig Herd.  A max size squig herd is quite a compelling unit and the ability to fight in two ranks because of the smaller base size is one of the main reasons.  Their slower speed means it is also easier to be able to position Snufflers near them for when you unleash them into combat than it is with hoppers or bounders.  Giving a horde discount to Squig Herd I think makes them an interesting choice versus Stabbas.  I already think squig herds are an interesting alternative to Stabbas, but a horde discount would make things even better and probably pull more people on board.

Edited by Skabnoze
I suck at words sometimes

The only thing that worries me is that I feel like Gloomspite is at a really rad place right now. They aren't sweeping the tournament scene but they are still placing in top 10s and top 3s. I am mortified that if they made too much in the way of adjustments it could easily go too far. 

There are obvious units that aren't really taken as often like the Shootas for instance or Gobbapalooza etc. that could use some tweaking and maybe small adjustments on some of the others but I just really hope they don't overdo it. 

6 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

…..  Of the ones we have I would say the most important are the Loonboss on Squig speed boost and the spider shaman double venom damage.  If you are running Squig or Spider lists then you will heavily use those abilities - but the rest are simply nice-to-have type of abilities...

Alas, the ArachnaShaman double venom damage is a spell, not a command ability.  They can't get a command trait either, only a Scuttleboss.  Guess they're focused on wizardry rather than leading the charge?  

I have yet to play with my Gloomspites, as they're still early in the works.  But I've played against 3 armies, 1 all Troggs, 1 heavy on the gobbos and bounderz, and 1 very mixed with 2 big Manglers and a Rogue Idol and Rockguts.  Used my Legion of Azgorh against all of them and the Troggs were the ones I couldn't handle, though the mission gave my slowpoke stunties a problem.....as did the combo of the Mushroom and Scuttletide!  Troggs are strong and I've read many people are thinking they're the best in Gloomspite. 

I've only seen one person use Spiderfang and didn't find out how he did (at the Adepticon Champs), but he had 4 Arachnaroks and I can't remember what else.    For some reason I think he faced off against 4 Verminlords in a Skaven army.  

It does seem the Gitz tome has very select keyword usage.  The new Blades of Khorne book does too actually....my Bloodstokers no longer work on my Bloodthirsters!  LAAAAAME, but that's for another thread.  But I do also agree things like the Sneaky Snufflers should work on anything with grots on the model, if not Troggoths.  They all eat the same shrooms!  And the Gobbapalooza too, as I love those models but if I can't use them I don't want them.

Skraggrott also forces the army to be either a Grot or Squig army no?  Since he really needs to be the general to shine, those would be the only battleline options then, though I suppose one could go cheapo min/max in that regard and not expend too many points and still get the Loonking on board.  That Bad Moon can pay off in a mixed army big time.  Idoneth moving the Tide is pretty awesome, as is Nurgle moving the Corruption Cycle.  

Anyone actually used the Loonking yet?  

16 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Alas, the ArachnaShaman double venom damage is a spell, not a command ability.  

Good catch.  I totally forgot that.  The allegiance ability for the moon that gives mortal wounds on 5+ To-hit used to be the scuttleboss command ability.  The Webspinner  spell remained the same but I always got those 2 mixed up for some reason and it seems that I still do.

24 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Skraggrott also forces the army to be either a Grot or Squig army no?  Since he really needs to be the general to shine, those would be the only battleline options then, though I suppose one could go cheapo min/max in that regard and not expend too many points and still get the Loonking on board.  That Bad Moon can pay off in a mixed army big time.  Idoneth moving the Tide is pretty awesome, as is Nurgle moving the Corruption Cycle.  

Skragrott is useful in most lists he is added to and he does not need to be the general all of the time.  You can make the argument for using him in a non-general role for a Troggoth army and I believe that @Malakree has made use of him that way.

An all Spider list might be where he fits in the least and that is mainly because the rest of the army is fast and will leave him behind.

Oh wow, I total forgot about the Bad Moon's thing for Spiderfang.  That would help using them in a mixed Gitz list for sure.  I'm gonna have do some thinking, and maybe get 3 squig herds for battleline, using a big mob of Spiders as a mortal wound unit....though Bounderz are pretty good at that on the charge.

51 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I used him a few time, even if he not the general, i find him still  amazing as a Hero sniping Artillery piece and a good wizard by himself. his moon ability is good and all but it not always necessary to take advantage of during a game. the only thing I felt I miss was the possible D3 CP he can get but since this army has other way to get them it not a big deal.

Edited by novakai
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Lord Krungharr said:

As @Skabnoze said I use him in a Grot+ list without him being the general and I don't think there's any Gloomspite army which can't fit him. 

The combination of being

1. Incredibly tanky, 6 wounds with a 5+/4++
  2. A solid wizard, +1 on 2 spells/unbinds
  3. An artillery piece, 6shots 3+/3+/-1/1 with the MW,
  4. One of the best personal spells in the game, the 10+ on nikit nikit can win you games on it's own

All add up to making a really well rounded warscroll. I always view his 4+ d3cp and Moon as his "command trait" rather than anything else. You're comparing the usefulness of his command trait to that of your other heroes command traits.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Oh wow, I total forgot about the Bad Moon's thing for Spiderfang.  That would help using them in a mixed Gitz list for sure.  I'm gonna have do some thinking, and maybe get 3 squig herds for battleline, using a big mob of Spiders as a mortal wound unit....though Bounderz are pretty good at that on the charge.

There is a relic that grants that same buff as the moon in a 12” area as well.  So you can get a bubble of always-on moon power for Spiders as well.  There is nothing that prevents using the relic in a mixed force.

• Like 1

So I'm new to gloomspite gitz came up with what I think is a decent 1000 point list (actually it's more like 980) just to get a feel for the army and was wondering what advice you guys would give to bump it up 2000. While still keeping this core of 1000 points.

Skargrott The Loonking: 

General, The Hand of Gork 

Madcap Shaman: 

The Great Green Spite, Spiteshroom Familar.

Stabbas x60

Stabbasx20

Sporesplatta Fantaics x5

Sneaky Snufflers x6

All advice and constructed criticism is welcome! 

Edited by marinatedheadstone
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1