Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
S133arcanite

AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

Recommended Posts

Who here uses movement trays and who doesn't + reason why/why not? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GlitzFan said:

Who here uses movement trays and who doesn't + reason why/why not? 

 

I do. Mostly out of not making my friends wait while I move 120+ goblins. I use movement trays custom built for round, magnetized bases and it's not difficult removing them from the front ranks when piling in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, GlitzFan said:

Who here uses movement trays and who doesn't + reason why/why not? 

 

I do for Stabbas/Shootas.  3D printed my own in 5 man sets, so instead of moving 60 grots I'm moving 12 trays.  A little bit of a pain to negotiate rough terrain, but not a huge issue.  Almost always removing casualties from the rear, and once a try is empty I can just remove it.

Edited by FPC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ShaneHobbes said:

I do. Mostly out of not making my friends wait while I move 120+ goblins. I use movement trays custom built for round, magnetized bases and it's not difficult removing them from the front ranks when piling in.

I played against someone using these and they were great.

 

I'm going to grab some my self when I get round to magnetising the grots. The base sizes of 3 are actually a really good call.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Malakree said:

I played against someone using these and they were great.

 

I'm going to grab some my self when I get round to magnetising the grots. The base sizes of 3 are actually a really good call.

Ohh yeah those are nice, similar to the ones I got. I might get some of those for my trolls just to have. Thse are where I got my 25mm ones:

https://themagnetbaron.com/collections/trays-bases/products/2x-ferrous-movement-trays-offset-5x2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, GlitzFan said:

Who here uses movement trays and who doesn't + reason why/why not? 

 

Yes.  I use them because after playing Warhammer Fantasy in the rank & file version they just made using big units so much simpler.  So I have never gone back and instead I started making them for other GW games like 40k and now AoS.

I simply put magnets under/into my bases and then I get cheap metal roofing shingles from the hardware store and cut them into whatever shape I want using some metal shears.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2019 at 6:21 AM, Skreech Verminking said:

I’ve taken the cutta, because of the rule of cool.

Best rule ever implemented - hands down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got a big shipment of the Broken Toad mushroom bases in and am really impressed. Some of the best quality resin bases I have seen. Ready to get my squig army up and bouncing.

4C16C3FF-402C-44FA-B481-9A099860AD50.jpeg

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@TheWilddog those look amazing.

Ok all, playing in a smaller local tournament here. 1500 points. I am experimenting with minimum battleline.

So far I've tested the below list against a Gristlegore FEC, and it did surprisingly well. Having the mobility of both the boingrots is significant along with the double threat of the colossal and mangler. I think I have the speed to get to objectives and should be able to take a good hit from a deep strike. With the moon and scuttletide, I can weed through some units and then go crazy with the mangler and colossal. 

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz
Mortal Realm: Ghur
Loonboss on Mangler Squigs (300)
- General
- Trait: Fight Another Day 
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm 
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Lore of the Moonclans: The Hand of Gork
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Lore of the Moonclans: Squig Lure
6 x Squig Herd (70)
6 x Squig Herd (70)
6 x Squig Herd (70)
10 x Boingrot Bounderz (200)
10 x Boingrot Bounderz (200)
Colossal Squig (300)
Scuttletide (30)
Mork's Mighty Mushroom (80)

Total: 1500 / 1500
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 112
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TheWilddog said:

Just got a big shipment of the Broken Toad mushroom bases in and am really impressed. Some of the best quality resin bases I have seen. Ready to get my squig army up and bouncing.

4C16C3FF-402C-44FA-B481-9A099860AD50.jpeg

Glad to hear.  I ordered 2 of each of their sets a few days back to test the quality and see how they fit with my others.  I doubt I use these for all my bases, since my base scheme is caverns and I have a few different types, but I expect I will mix these in for more variety.

The plates really intrigue me and if I like the quality I will probably order a bunch more of them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all! I'm starting my first AoS army, and its the gitz! I've come up with a rough 2000 point list to aim towards building. Its a bit over, but ill cut stuff out! its for the local league at my shop.

++ **Pitched Battle** 2,000 (Destruction - Gloomspite Gitz) [2080pts] ++

 

+ Leader +

 

Loonboss [70pts]

 

Zarbag [160pts]: 4. The Hand of Gork

 

+ Battleline +

 

Squig Herd [70pts]: 5 Squigs & Squig Herder

 

Squig Herd [70pts]: 5 Squigs & Squig Herder

 

Stabbas [260pts]: 2x 20 Stabbas, Gong Basher, Standard Bearer

 

+ Other +

 

Gobbapalooza [240pts]

 

Loonsmasha Fanatics [140pts]: 5 Loonsmasha Fanatics

 

Sneaky Shufflers [70pts]: 6 Sneaky Snufflers

 

Zarbag's Gitz

 

+ Battalion +

 

Super Battalion: Squigalanche [870pts]: Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig, Mangler Squigs

. Battalion: Squig Rider Stampede

. . Boingrot Bounders: 2x 5 Boingrot Bounderz

. . Squig Hoppers: 5 Squig Hoppers

 

+ Allegiance +

 

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz

 

+ Game Options +

 

Game Type: 2000 Points - Battlehost

 

+ Malign Sorcery +

 

Endless Spells: Gloomspite Gitz [130pts]: Endless Spell: Mork's Mighty Mushroom, Endless Spell: Scrapskuttle's Arachnacauldron

 

++ Total: [2080pts] ++

 

its gonna be a mix of the squigilanche and basic troops! along with some support and magic to spice things up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got my first Squigs up on my new BrokenToad shroom bases and man they are sexy. I was planning to finish up a few stray projects before I started painting these guys but I don’t know if I can resist.

11085EFC-9C98-43EA-822C-3B5F92D29F7A.jpeg

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never use movement trays, as I really don't think it saves that much time.  Certainly it makes your first turn movement phase easier, but then they bog things down once you hit narrow terrain or melee combat.  I hate the damn things.

As a long-term 40k Ork players from way back when, I am very used to moving large numbers of 25mm bases around.  There are always a few tricks you can use to speed things up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mikethefish said:

I never use movement trays, as I really don't think it saves that much time.  Certainly it makes your first turn movement phase easier, but then they bog things down once you hit narrow terrain or melee combat.  I hate the damn things.

As a long-term 40k Ork players from way back when, I am very used to moving large numbers of 25mm bases around.  There are always a few tricks you can use to speed things up

I would really love to see GW consider adapting (just steal it wholesale) how unit movement works in Star Wars: Legion.  It is so simple that it is just pure brilliance.  In that game the unit leader functions as a sort of anchor for the unit.  All coherency is measured using a radius from the leader.  All shooting ranges are measured from the unit leader and line-of-sight (including whether targets get cover) is measures from the leader.  In addition, when you move a unit you precisely measure the movement for the leader model.  You then simply pick up and place the rest of the unit within coherency of the leader.  Even vehicle squadrons use the same mechanism.  After playing with that mechanic for a while now it is simply so clean and fast.  It drastically speeds up the movement phase and clears up a lot of issues with systems that require you to move each model in large units precisely. 

The main negative that adopting a system like this would have for GW games is that it would make it much more difficult to "bubble wrap" units using another cheap unit - since it makes it almost impossible to put large units into line-formations and requires them to behave as blobs due to the leader being the center of a coherency area bubble.  It would also hurt tactics for stringing out units to zone block.  However, I never cared for those mechanics as I prefer my games to have more verisimilitude in regards to representing a fantasy battle.  I would prefer that those types of tactics/roles would be added into the game using other mechanics than large unit model micro-management.  These games have so many models that I really like when some of the more tedious spots are sped up and made cleaner.

Edited by Skabnoze

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

The main negative that adopting a system like this would have for GW games is that it would make it much more difficult to "bubble wrap" units using another cheap unit - since it makes it almost impossible to put large units into line-formations and requires them to behave as blobs due to the leader being the center of a coherency area bubble.  It would also hurt tactics for stringing out units to zone block.  However, I never cared for those mechanics as I prefer my games to have more verisimilitude in regards to representing a fantasy battle.  I would prefer that those types of tactics/roles would be added into the game using other mechanics than large unit model micro-management.  These games have so many models that I really like when some of the more tedious spots are sped up and made cleaner.

It has a whole bunch of other negative tactical implications.

  • Screening
  • Bubblewrapping
  • Massive units (60 grots)
  • Stopping Deepstriking
  • Stopping Flanking
  • How does it work with objectives?

etc.

It's not really a case of grab and impliment, it works very well for things like Brutes, Troggs etc. however when you start getting massive swarms it's going to get really messy and not tactically pleasing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Malakree said:

It's not really a case of grab and impliment, it works very well for things like Brutes, Troggs etc. however when you start getting massive swarms it's going to get really messy and not tactically pleasing.

I never claimed it could be a grab and implement.  Any core rule change would require a new edition (one is coming eventually) and would require abilities adjusted with it in mind and costs reworked for that system.  What we have now is here to stay for at least the duration of this edition and I would not advocate messing with any portion of the core rules with the exception that it is becoming extremely obvious that they need to append an explicit timing-system into the combat phase to clear up how wonky their "start/end" rules are beginning to become.   I really enjoy Age of Sigmar - more than previous editions of Fantasy and most editions of 40k (that game is practically a dumpster fire at the moment).  But that does not mean that I don't prefer certain system mechanics in other games and think that including them in future versions of AoS would not lead to an improved game - because I do.

I think Fantasy Flight has a number of very interesting mechanics in a few of their games that are easily worth stealing.  As I mentioned, the movement system from Legion is just so clean and fast that it is really refreshing.  After spending over 25 years playing a huge number of different wargames where most of them have some degree of fiddly movement system that is time consuming and often the source of some shady play I am frankly rather astounded at the very simple and elegant way that FF solved it with SW: Legion.  That system also has the benefit of making unit leaders important without giving them alternate stats or making them some version of lesser heroes.  It is a good representation of what they are supposed to be - organization leaders of their units.  I really like that touch and I would like unit leaders in AoS to perform a better role than simply a tiny combat upgrade for the unit.

I also enjoy that Age of Sigmar uses alternating activations in the combat phase, but I wish it could be applied across all of the phases of the game.  Xwing and Legion both have very interesting activation-order mechanics (orders in Legion, and pilot-skill in Xwing).  GW already stole the Xwing concept of shared turns using phases with alternating activation within the phases with KillTeam.  I think that they should consider moving this idea into both 40k and AoS in future versions.  There might also be interesting room to slide in the concept of leaders issuing orders (kinda like command abilities) to prioritize activations (what Legion does) and then units having some sort of default ordering they fall back on based on some sort of stat value (like what Xwing does).

Anyways, I understand your point and I agree with it.  You can't just lift & drop major mechanics like how coherency & movement behave without large impacts to an existing game system.  It has a lot of potential repercussions.  But in the future I think they should look into changing some of the things that they have treated as sacred cows for decades when there is opportunity for improvement.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should be interesting to see the results from BOBO this weekend. Gitz is the most represented faction at 17 and I did a brief check which showed quite a bit of variety.

A massive 12 moonclan lists, 2 grot+, 2 spiderfang and a trogg list which has an amazing reading by the honest wargamer  

https://twitter.com/HonestWargamer/status/1128353398150111233?s=20

Hopefully should get some good stats out of it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Malakree said:

Should be interesting to see the results from BOBO this weekend. Gitz is the most represented faction at 17 and I did a brief check which showed quite a bit of variety.

A massive 12 moonclan lists, 2 grot+, 2 spiderfang and a trogg list which has an amazing reading by the honest wargamer  

https://twitter.com/HonestWargamer/status/1128353398150111233?s=20

Hopefully should get some good stats out of it!

Too bad Donal decided to play a death army for this tournament instead of the Gitz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, novakai said:

Too bad Donal decided to play a death army for this tournament instead of the Gitz

Tbh I'm not sure he'd play gitz? Wouldn't he stick with the destruction list for the stonehorn etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheWilddog said:

More bouncy boys up and going.

2EBCF95B-DE25-4D02-8706-8D2B62E38F2F.jpeg

BD88513E-B19F-49C0-B672-5EBFBD2F9B4D.jpeg

What do you think is my small mod. Quite happy myself.

IMG_20190517_213205.jpg

  • Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...