AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

Hey guys, was looking for a little inspiration on basing Gloomspite models, was wondering what other people had done for them. I was considering going for the toxic swamp base with some grassy bits. Worried it might look a little bit too Nurgle though. What do you guys do for your bases?

041069B9-62EE-4F11-8EC1-F011A097EA73.jpeg

Edited by Xelotath

7 minutes ago, Xelotath said:

Hey guys, was looking for a little inspiration on basing Gloomspite models, was wondering what other people had done for them. I was considering going for the toxic swamp base with some grassy bits. Worried it might look a little bit too Nurgle though. What do you guys do for your bases?

041069B9-62EE-4F11-8EC1-F011A097EA73.jpeg

I picked up some mushrooms from bits of war to add some pop.

https://bitsofwar.com/home/971-goblin-forest-mushrooms.html

goblin-forest-mushrooms.jpg

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/04/30/looncurse-the-heroes-and-sample-armiesgw-homepage-post-1/

they did a squig list with several looncurse boxes and 3 Manglers. Do you think thet it is a strong list? (I'm totaly new to gloomspite)

You will need a few spell slingers in there. I suggest 2 fungoid cave shamans. But besides that it looks fun

22 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/04/30/looncurse-the-heroes-and-sample-armiesgw-homepage-post-1/

they did a squig list with several looncurse boxes and 3 Manglers. Do you think thet it is a strong list? (I'm totaly new to gloomspite)

It more of a fun list IMO, the list has no wizard and lack bodies on the field. Plus using Squigalanche bonus is hard to use without Skatgrott controlling the moon. the only strength is that it a one drop list and very mobile. Your pretty much hoping to get into combat really fast and do load of damage.

43 minutes ago, GeneralZero said:

So they are trying to make a 1drop list but personally I really don't like it. Several gameplay reasons for that which I'll go into below and a few monetary ones as well.

Most importantly they have 20 points spare, a unit of 10 boingrots costs 20 points more than a unit of 10 squig hoppers and is way better. Split a Squig Herd for 12x6x6 to fill your battleline then take the 3rd unit of bounderz. This breaks the 1drop, which is why they haven't done it, but just makes the rest of your army way better anyway. This then leads to the second point.

No wizards, this means no unbinds or spells. Given how powerful both our spells and some of the other modern factions spells are completely giving it up is terrible imo. Two of the best examples are Squig Lure and Hand of Gork, one lets d3 squig units run and charge while the other redeploys a gloomspite unit anywhere 9" away from the enemy. However this breaks the 1drop which is again why the haven't done it, which also leads nicely into my 3rd point.

I personally don't like the basic manglers...one of them did slam into my face on Sunday and traded itself for an offensive troggboss+fungoid with a small amount of luck and a huge misplay by me. A single basic Mangler is require to run the Super battalion though so I can forgive one, however the third is just ott imo.

From here I can suggest very basic changes which work much better gameplay wise than the 1drop while still keeping the same basic function.

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz

Leaders
Skragrott, The Loonking (220)
- General
- Lore of the Moonclans: Squig Lure
Loonboss on Mangler Squigs (300)
Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig (110)
- Moon-cutta

Battleline
12 x Squig Herd (140)
6 x Squig Herd (70)
6 x Squig Herd (70)

Units
10 x Boingrot Bounderz (200)

Behemoths
Mangler Squigs (240)

Battalions
Squig Rider Stampede (140)
Squigalanche (90)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 144

Exactly the same list but 3 drops instead. You get the Godking himself, Skragrott, who makes the battalion way more user friendly alongside being amazing on his own and you trade the hoppers for bounderz. Importantly, and why they didn't use this list, you save yourself quite a bit of money because Skragrott is £20 and a Mangler squig is £50. It takes the list from 2 Half Looncurse boxes, 1 Squig Hopper box and 3 Manglers to 2 Half Looncurse boxes, 1 Squig hopper box, 2 Manglers and Skragrott.

Not to mention that VERY few lists will ever run 3 Manglers but a ton of Gloomspite lists run Skragrott (they all should imo). So you save yourself £30 and get a far more useful model.

Edited by Malakree
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Xelotath said:

Yes that's too nurgly. Instead of green puddles you could do blue puddles and then maybe add some rocks for a wet cave look. 
IMG_20190421_134510899.jpg.36d9bb9885bce85290c447e64b044a92.jpg
I went for a rocky look, dry cave or coming out of the cave into some barren rocky mountains, with just some mushrooms spontanously popping up in the wake of the gloomspite. I used shale, busted up into tiny bits for most bit the larger models have bigger pieces. 

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 3

3 hours ago, Xelotath said:

I make fungus-filled limestone caverns.  So lots of types of types of stalagmites & other speliothems, different types of weird fungus, and some weird little critters & creatures mixed in.

Edited by Skabnoze

I really like the contents of the Looncurse box for both factions.  I was planning to buy a few more sets of both Cave Squigs and Hoppers/Bounders and I would probably buy at least 2 copies of this plastic boss on Great Cave squig.  I don't really like elves in general, but Sylvaneth are closer to Fae forest demons than standard Elves.  I picked up their old book a while back and thought the army looked interesting.  This box set seems like a no-brainer and it runs a pretty hefty discount if you like both factions in it (like I do).  I'll probably pick up two boxes. 

18 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

Agreed with everything everyone above has said.

But I'd add that against the Sylvaneth list on that page it's probably a good match, as both lists suck equally as bad!

16 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

I really like the contents of the Looncurse box for both factions.  I was planning to buy a few more sets of both Cave Squigs and Hoppers/Bounders and I would probably buy at least 2 copies of this plastic boss on Great Cave squig.  I don't really like elves in general, but Sylvaneth are closer to Fae forest demons than standard Elves.  I picked up their old book a while back and thought the army looked interesting.  This box set seems like a no-brainer and it runs a pretty hefty discount if you like both factions in it (like I do).  I'll probably pick up two boxes. 

Go for it! They are my other army. Hopefully the upcoming battletome will mean you don't need dozens of wyldwoods too. There's a good crossover in the flora/fauna/mushroom aesthetic and sudden growing mushrooms vs sudden growing branches. 

After some discussion here and doing some more reading in the Battletome as well as seeing the contents of the upcoming box, I reconsider my first attempt (all Squig) and now ponder with the addition of a block of stabbas. I hope that more heroes means more spell and dispel and make this attempt productive. 

So the big question here for me - for you(!) - at hand is: who should be general? Is the loonking worth 220 without being general? Or rather: do I bring enough Squig to realize the Mangler‘s potential?

The double madcap is there for I cannot fit in the fungoid Cave shaman..

looking forward to feedback, my studies of the Gloomspite is nothing but at best semi-educating guessing.

Allegiance: Destruction

Mortal Realm: Ghur

Loonboss on Mangler Squigs(300)

- General

- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm 

Skragrott, The Loonking(220)

- Lore of the Moonclans: The Hand of Gork

Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig(110)

- Moon-cutta

Madcap Shaman(80)

- Lore of the Moonclans: Squig Lure

Madcap Shaman(80)

- Lore of the Moonclans: Itchy Nuisance

40 x Stabbas(260)

- Pokin Spears & Moon Shields

12 x Squig Herd(140)

12 x Squig Herd(140)

10 x Boingrot Bounderz(200)

10 x Boingrot Bounderz(200)

5 x Loonsmasha Fanatics(140)

Malevolent Moon(50)

Mork's Mighty Mushroom(80)

Total:2000 / 2000

Extra Command Points:0

Allies:0 / 400

Wounds: 165

Edited by Okonomiyakimarine

A little unsure how to flesh out this list

Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
Troggoth Hag (380)
20 x Shootas (130)
60 x Stabbas (360)
- Pokin Spears & Moon Shields
5 x Boingrot Bounderz (100)
6 x Fellwater Troggoths (320)

Total: 1380 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 12
Wounds: 134

One thought is to add a troggboss and 6 rocktroggs. Another is skrag and more squigs.

1 hour ago, newsun said:

A little unsure how to flesh out this list

Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
Troggoth Hag (380)
20 x Shootas (130)
60 x Stabbas (360)
5 x Boingrot Bounderz (100)

Total: 1380 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 12
Wounds: 134

One thought is to add a troggboss and 6 rocktroggs. Another is skrag and more squigs.

Before anything else, it's really awkward to fill the list out from exactly that template but the best I could get to was this, not ideal but at least it should work.

Leaders
- General
- Lore of the Moonclans: The Hand of Gork
Troggoth Hag (380)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)

Battleline
60 x Stabbas (360)
20 x Shootas (130)
24 x Squig Herd (280)

Units

Endless Spells
Quicksilver Swords (20)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 198

With that out of the way

I love Skragrott and combined with 2 Fungoids using Itchy Nuisance + Hand of Gork + Call Da Moon+Scuttletide he will be in almost every Gloomspite list i make. So if you want to add Skragrott I'm with you 100%, whatever else you do.

In my opinion Gloomspite lists should pick a theme to build around rather than just throwing things in. There are however some notable exceptions to that which stand on their own merit without the keyword bingo.

1. Skragrott. He is the king, if you haven't tried playing with him you need to. Such a fantastic warscroll.
  2. Troggoth Hag. She's a bit expensive which makes her hard to fit in lists but she has an amazing warscroll which works on it's own.
  3. Stabbas/Shootas. The cheap chaff, throw them down and use them to annoy your opponent.

Other than that I'm totally on the theme train.

With all that in mind you have two real choices both of which would work to flesh out the list.

Spoiler

First is the Troggoth Route.

Drop the Boingrots and go on the TroggTrain.
I would suggest splitting the fellwaters and taking a unit of 6 Rockguts+Troggboss. From there 2 fungoids gives you the extra CP generation and finishes the list.There's quite a few very real differences between this setup and my own, most notably is the fact I have a ton of artillery potential and I'm not running the hag. This means you're going to have to be far more aggressive than I am and make sure you get the engagements when/where you want them.

Leaders
Dankhold Troggboss (300)
- General
Troggoth Hag (380)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Lore of the Moonclans: Itchy Nuisance

Battleline
60 x Stabbas (360)
20 x Shootas (130)
6 x Rockgut Troggoths (320)
3 x Fellwater Troggoths (160)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Wounds: 164

Spoiler

Second would be the Squig route.
I'm not experienced with this outside of playing against it once, other peoples reports and general theory crafting (which is what I'm best at, seriously I suck at tactics 😂)

Drop the Fellwaters and Go bouncing.
Again theme bosses (2 this time) really help with the utility and adding another fungoid for CP generation along with the other mandatory spell for the list. Throw in a squig herd of 12 to fill your battleline then add another 15 Boingrots to round the list out.

Leaders
- General
Troggoth Hag (380)
- Moon-cutta
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)

Battleline
60 x Stabbas (360)
20 x Shootas (130)
12 x Squig Herd (140)

Units

Wounds: 186

The list could probably be improved in several ways but as a base that builds from your starting list it works well. It also has the advantage you can get a large portion of what you're missing by splitting a Looncurse box with someone after which you only need a Mangler and 5 more boingrots.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, a74xhx said:

Go for it! They are my other army. Hopefully the upcoming battletome will mean you don't need dozens of wyldwoods too. There's a good crossover in the flora/fauna/mushroom aesthetic and sudden growing mushrooms vs sudden growing branches. 

I already have a lot of forest terrain at my house, since I can build a variety of different tables in my game room.  I only have 3 of the GW woods - which I mainly bought because the individual trees make great spooky woods for graveyards or gnarled trees for badlands/desert boards.  I honestly don't care that much about being required to use "official" models - especially since a lot of games happen at my house.  That said, I don't care for the way GW implemented the Wyldwood terrain rules for the Sylvaneth army and I do hope that they rework that.  I also have forests of giant mushrooms for my goblin armies - so I can make plenty of diverse types of wooded terrain.

I am slowly building my army up. My aim is to be a bit competitive yet really fun to play. I like the casting and the speed of units. Nice CP generation to make the most of the units. I would have preferred two fungoids but hey ho. 

let me know what you think I can always change up the spells a little but I like the idea of removing chars with spells from across the board. Idea is to stop the charge on to my hard hitters with the herds and then fly over my units to hit them with charges. Etc I know the mangler with boss is a good target for spells early on, that is why he has the loonstone to stop a few mortals.

The Fungoid and madcap will probs take squig lure and itchy nuisance.

2kGitzlist.pdf

Edited by Nickmoss90

So in a slight reversal, this is the list I'm looking at taking to BOBO. There's a bit of a restriction in regards to what I have painted/will paint and the fact lists have to be in tomorrow.

What are people's thoughts/opinions?

Allegiance: Destruction

Leaders
Dankhold Troggboss (300)
- General
- Trait: Loonskin 
- Artefact: Shiny Wotnot 
- Lore of the Moonclans: Itchy Nuisance
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Lore of the Moonclans: Call da Moon
Webspinner Shaman (80)
- Lore of the Spiderfangs: Venomous Spiderlings

Battleline
20 x Stabbas (130)
20 x Shootas (130)
20 x Shootas (130)

Units
3 x Rockgut Troggoths (160)

War Machines
Grot Spear Chukka (120)
Grot Spear Chukka (120)

Endless Spells
Scuttletide (30)
Mork's Mighty Mushroom (80)

Wounds: 140

16 hours ago, Nickmoss90 said:

I am slowly building my army up. My aim is to be a bit competitive yet really fun to play. I like the casting and the speed of units. Nice CP generation to make the most of the units. I would have preferred two fungoids but hey ho. 

let me know what you think I can always change up the spells a little but I like the idea of removing chars with spells from across the board. Idea is to stop the charge on to my hard hitters with the herds and then fly over my units to hit them with charges. Etc I know the mangler with boss is a good target for spells early on, that is why he has the loonstone to stop a few mortals.

The Fungoid and madcap will probs take squig lure and itchy nuisance.

2kGitzlist.pdf 5.59 kB · 12 downloads

In my opinion if you want some Bounderz and a regular Mangler, you should use the Squig Rider Stampede battalion and I dont really see the meaning of just 3 Rockgut.

Here my list around Squig, even with Skragrott, I chose to make the Mangler boss the general because of Fight Another Day and Skragrott is still really worth the point (+1 to cast, 2 casts...)

Spoiler

Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
- General
- Trait: Fight Another Day 
- Artefact: Sword of Judgement 
- Moonclan Stabba
- Artefact: The Clammy cowl 
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
Webspinner Shaman (80)

Battleline
6 x Squig Herd (70)
6 x Squig Herd (70)
60 x Stabbas (360)
- Stabbas & Moon Shields

Units

Battalions

Endless Spells
Scrapskuttle's Arachnacauldron (50)
Scuttletide (30)

Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 156

• Like 1

@Malakree So the only restriction is that you don't have some models painted or don't want to paint them by the time BOBO comes around? My initial impression is that there's not enough bodies/wounds in that list and it won't be able to hold up very well if you have to hold something. I like the two 3 x fellwater blocks, but I don't exactly like the three rockguts. However, I do like the idea you are going with all the spells and damage at a distance. I will have to look into the list more myself here in a few and see what I would do differently.

4 hours ago, Arkahn said:

In my opinion if you want some Bounderz and a regular Mangler, you should use the Squig Rider Stampede battalion and I dont really see the meaning of just 3 Rockgut.

Here my list around Squig, even with Skragrott, I chose to make the Mangler boss the general because of Fight Another Day and Skragrott is still really worth the point (+1 to cast, 2 casts...)

Reveal hidden contents

Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
- General
- Trait: Fight Another Day 
- Artefact: Sword of Judgement 
- Moonclan Stabba
- Artefact: The Clammy cowl 
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
Webspinner Shaman (80)

Battleline
6 x Squig Herd (70)
6 x Squig Herd (70)
60 x Stabbas (360)
- Stabbas & Moon Shields

Units

Battalions

Endless Spells
Scrapskuttle's Arachnacauldron (50)
Scuttletide (30)

Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 156

Firstly thanks for your input.

Tbh I like the models and their melee damage output + adds a little shooting which I like and I can see them being useful aiding a unit/ to soften one.

The battalion is cool and I will no doubt try it out. I like Skrag as the general for the cp generation, I have not yet had a game where the control of the moon was important. I have also thought about making the mangler boss the general, when used with battalion I think it makes a lot of sense. 

I am waiting for the looncurse to be out to fill my army up.

• Like 1

Any tips for basing? 

Currently I have added small pieces of cork to make rocks / uneven ground painted them black, then painted the whole top of the base Rhonix hide. Not sure what do do next. Thinking of adding some small pieces of grass.

Any tips / pictures to show me would be amazing! 

1 hour ago, dasnation said:

@Malakree So the only restriction is that you don't have some models painted or don't want to paint them by the time BOBO comes around? My initial impression is that there's not enough bodies/wounds in that list and it won't be able to hold up very well if you have to hold something. I like the two 3 x fellwater blocks, but I don't exactly like the three rockguts. However, I do like the idea you are going with all the spells and damage at a distance. I will have to look into the list more myself here in a few and see what I would do differently.

If I trusted myself I'd drop the webspinner and mushroom to go to a unit of 6 rockguts.

As it is in going to need to paint 20 stabbas and the webspinner over the next 2 weeks.

I'm taking this to heat 2 this weekend to give you an idea of what I have painted.

I'm not sure how important the anti-horde stuff is since I've never had the chance for it to be fully effective then also have it go off.

It's only thing of note is obliterating a unit of 40 chainwrasps (wooo...)

So the Looncurse Box confuses me a bit.

It seems that the box contains limited options on the Squig Hoppers / Boingrot Bounderz?

I would've been interesseted if i could have 10 boingrots or 10 hoppers but it seems to strictly say 5 boingrots and 5 hoppers.

Am i reading this wrong or are those sprues really limited to 5 each?

Those boxes generaly use the FULL KITS of the units, meaning the same sprues. So, you'll have all the options to build your units. If those full kits allow several types of units, you'll  be able to build whatever unit pleases to you / fits your needs.

• Thanks 1