AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

On 3/1/2019 at 12:15 AM, PlasticCraic said:

Yep, probably my favourite thing about the book.  Love the sculpt too.

The spells are excellent, but hobbled by short range.  Coupled with the fact that most of them are 3 wounds, I struggle to see you actually getting to use them very often.  They will often die to incidental plink damage before you get close.

I think you can still make a good army with them in there, because that will be because what surrounds them is strong enough to carry an inefficient unit (ok technically 5 inefficient units!), which is what I think they are.  

Breaking them down:

Scaremonger: has a chance to make a Moonclan Grot unit reroll its run or charge.  Of limited value when generic CAs are significantly better and this army is awash with them.  I would never take him on his own.

Brewgit: useful, mainly for buffing Skragrott's shooting.  I quite like this guy for that reason.  Wish he had 4 wounds.

Spiker: has a chance to make a Moonclan Grot unit reroll wound rolls of 1.  Very useful, especially for buffing up a Moonclan Deathstar and fishing for those 6s for MWs

Boggleye: very nice passive Battleshock immunity (bypasses the Nighthaunt batallion that blocks Inspiring Presence too).  Or making an enemy unit fight last - although there is other access to the same effect in this book.  Itchy Nuisance for one has a longer range, and it's a real edge case thing that you'd need to double up on them.

Shroomancer: has the Troggoth Hag spell, but with a cripplingly short range of 8".  Amazing on the rare occassions you will get to cast it.

Overall, there are a couple of interesting pieces and a couple of taxes in there imo, which makes the overall package quite poor value. 

Question for the people who are using them: are you using the Batallion, or not?

"Very useful, especially for buffing up a Moonclan Deathstar and fishing for those 6s for MWs". 

How do they do MW on 6's?

Hi all, what do you think about this list? I plan to use it as I love the squig heavy lists, however not sure if I should bring Skragrott/Battalion, or should I leave out one of them? Was thinking on Skragrott for his handcannona and with the cauldron would be really handy, while the fungoid generates cp and babysits the grot unit. Snuflers are to give extra attack to anyone who is in need of some extra attack. What do you think? What would you change to make it more stable/reliable?

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Loonboss on Mangler Squigs (300)
- General
- Trait: Fight Another Day 
- Artefact: Doppelganger Cloak 
Skragrott, The Loonking (220)
- Lore of the Moonclans: The Hand of Gork
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Artefact: Talisman of the Watcher 
- Lore of the Moonclans: Itchy Nuisance

Battleline
40 x Stabbas (260)
- Stabbas & Moon Shields
12 x Squig Herd (140)
6 x Squig Herd (70)

Units
10 x Boingrot Bounderz (200)
10 x Boingrot Bounderz (200)
6 x Sneaky Snufflers (70)

Behemoths
Mangler Squigs (240)

Battalions
Squig Rider Stampede (140)

Endless Spells
Scrapskuttle's Arachnacauldron (50)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 162

2 minutes ago, Gumbalina said:

Yes as the moon moves at the end of the battle round not the hero phase.  

oh i see. Yeah i was asking about before the first round but i guess it is worded to not have any ambiguity. you only do it before you would roll

@dasnation Try and bomb his witch elves with the Mushroom if you can, you need to hack those units down quite a bit before he gets in your face. If you can get hold of his characters, especially the Hag Queens, blow them up.

Honestly it depends what his list is like, he will probably try to buff up a single unit of Witchelves then have them blow something up. 

@Malakree ty. I’m not exactly sure how to posture with my list. I know it depends on what they are bringing but what else can I concentrate on specifically. 

I’ve been gaming out that I would like to have my colossal, mangler, and possibly bounders with 18” to give them all buffs from the two Loonsboss’s CA. Along with squig lure from the fungoid I could get a T1 charge or counter charge effectively to get behind his line. Use my herds as a screening and chaf force to re direct some of his forces or hand of gork them somewhere he doesn’t want them to be. 

Hey @Riavan, totally agree, that FW one is way better!  You could actually buy it separately until very, very recently.  

If you didn't want to shell out for the Colossal and Gobba just to get the Boss, Mierce do one which I think is better than either (and is on the same base size):

https://mierce-miniatures.com/index.php?act=pro&pre=mrm_dkl_ysn_kys_wcf_190_000

14 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

Hey @Riavan, totally agree, that FW one is way better!  You could actually buy it separately until very, very recently.  

If you didn't want to shell out for the Colossal and Gobba just to get the Boss, Mierce do one which I think is better than either (and is on the same base size):

https://mierce-miniatures.com/index.php?act=pro&pre=mrm_dkl_ysn_kys_wcf_190_000

Thanks! Will I need to convert the fw guys spear to a sword?

Also they are still available separately. Just the big pack saves like 50+ bucks and I want a collosal squig anyway

40 minutes ago, Riavan said:

Thanks! Will I need to convert the fw guys spear to a sword?

Also they are still available separately. Just the big pack saves like 50+ bucks and I want a collosal squig anyway

There are two weapon options in the GW one anyway (1x spear, 1x sword).  So just running with the spear is legit. 

It has the same output and a 2" range (but is more vulnerable to Hit debuffs)...it's probably the slightly better choice, but it's not really a big deal either way.

Good to know that they are still available seprately!  I've got the ugly GW one already and I don't need two, so I'll probably stick with what I've got.  If I was doubling up I'd get the Mierce one I think, but the FW one looks nice too.

13 hours ago, dasnation said:

@Malakree ty. I’m not exactly sure how to posture with my list. I know it depends on what they are bringing but what else can I concentrate on specifically. 

I’ve been gaming out that I would like to have my colossal, mangler, and possibly bounders with 18” to give them all buffs from the two Loonsboss’s CA. Along with squig lure from the fungoid I could get a T1 charge or counter charge effectively to get behind his line. Use my herds as a screening and chaf force to re direct some of his forces or hand of gork them somewhere he doesn’t want them to be. 

Would love a battle rep, even if it's just footnotes. DoK is one of the top armies atm so more info on what worked/didn't or how you would do it differently is useful!

I'm super tempted to do a Skitterstrand Nest (battalion) list at 2k pts with a Webspinner Shaman on Arachnarok , giving it Gift of da spider god and the Totem of the Spider god artefact, so it can both heal and buff its fellow eight leggers. In my 'sketch' list I also included a Madcap shaman as the general with  The hand of Gork to possibly reposition the Shaman spider, dropping him in where the Skitterstrands appear. And 1 webspinnder shaman  with scuttling terrors, that spell has got quite the range and the hope is by the time the Skitterstrands bursts into reality he will be a bit further up field with the stabbas and able to reach and speed up a giant spider if needed. I think I mostly focused on stuff that could help them out tbh. 

First I did a list with 3 Skitterstrands, (and filled battleline with 1x40 Stabbas, 1x20 stabbas and 12 Squigs).

I had a bigger unit of squigs too but dropped them down to 12, mostly just gonna screen or be backline.

Then I actually dropped one Skitterstrand and took  a bunch of Spider riders instead. Figuring the Behemoths were eating too many points and it'll be troublesome to make them fit when they appear. But going from +3" to the charge to 2" kinda hurts their odds a bit. But the Spider Shaman could use a CP for rerolls I guess. 

Not sure if this is a really bad list or an ok one, definitly not competetive but I don't do tournaments so that's fine. 

Has anyone used a lot of Arachnaroks? How did it feel?

Edited by Mikeymajq

I haven't used them but I saw a guy with 4 Arachnaroks at Adepticon, and he seemed to be having loads of fun with them.  I think if I did another Gitz army after my Troggs I'd do the Spiderfang.  Probably include a Skitterstrand one for the deepstriking monster, and then you could Hand of Gork another one too.

Speaking of that, I was checking out the Bonegrinder Giant and it has the Gloomspite Gitz keyword, which is pretty awesome!  I'm thinking that could be a good monster to have in the army and teleport across the table to scare the crud out of the enemy.   Though I am also looking at the Colossal Squig too.  If ye fellow Gitz players had to choose which monster to buy next from Forgeworld would it be the Bonegrinder or Colossal Squig? 

(I have the Troggoth Hag already, she's wonderful :D  )

• Like 1

On 4/17/2019 at 3:40 PM, dasnation said:

Playing DOK tonight. What should I be considering with my list against them? What should I be looking for when deciding if I need to deploy aggressive or defensive? What are some key targets that I need to make sure I neutralize? 

AB8136FC-2E14-483F-8033-2E9800CFA9DE.png

8561DBDA-1D88-4CD0-8DAF-BB0DB12D25C8.png

How did this match go?  As a newer player I was looking to build a 2k Squig List and have all but one extra box of Squig Herd to make this list.  I'm very curious about how the match went.

Also, do you prefer Sword of Judgement over the Clammy Cowl/Gryph Feather Charm?

Edited by kamuffinz

I played a few low point games with the gitz over the weekend

one of my list I had 40 stabbas, a unit of sneaky snufflers, a fungoid and a loonboss w/ squig

overall the stabbas with +1 attack and the CA ability combo work as I excepted and pretty much wreaked my opponents army from Stormcast to nighthaunt.

I did mess up a few times with my placement and sometimes I did not have my unit wholly within 12 the loonboss or the snufflers and didn't get the combo off. it is definitely something you have to be mindful when playing a game.

I found the loonboss is pretty decent in combat, with his CA ability, +1 attack from snuffler or sporesplatta he can do some serious damage.

I plan to paint some squigs up and see how well the +1 from the snuffler work on these guys for future games

Edited by novakai

2 hours ago, novakai said:

I played a few low point games with the gitz over the weekend

one of my list I had 40 stabbas, a unit of sneaky snufflers, a fungoid and a loonboss w/ squig

overall the stabbas with +1 attack and the CA ability combo work as I excepted and pretty much wreaked my opponents army from Stormcast to nighthaunt.

I did mess up a few times with my placement and sometimes I did not have my unit wholly within 12 the loonboss or the snufflers and didn't get the combo off. it is definitely something you have to be mindful when playing a game.

I found the loonboss is pretty decent in combat, with his CA ability, +1 attack from snuffler or sporesplatta he can do some serious damage.

I plan to paint some squigs up and see how well the +1 from the snuffler work on these guys for future games

Awaesome. i like to here how you played the one unite of Grots and how to hold the points? im making almost the same list (just started AoS and Gitz and painting my first 40 stabbas :D) im also thinking getting a loonboss and snufflers as the next units and after that maybe bouzers or hoppers. 

2 hours ago, RareDesire said:

Awaesome. i like to here how you played the one unite of Grots and how to hold the points? im making almost the same list (just started AoS and Gitz and painting my first 40 stabbas :D) im also thinking getting a loonboss and snufflers as the next units and after that maybe bouzers or hoppers. 

I pretty much spread out my grots as much as I could from my leaders and used the sheer size of my unit to block my opponent from objectives. one game I use my 40 block to charge as many units as possible and used the combo to annihilate a unit of chainrasp and bladegheist in one turn (of course because of pile in I got out of range so I couldn't use the CA ability during my opponent turn or the snuffler on my next turn). the other game I made my loonboss the general and this time I used hand of gork to teleport my grots up and used the same strategy. I manage to make a 9 in charge and tag two units with my grots and then using my loonboss CA ability which was now 24 inches I did manage to kill a decent amount of sequitors. this game was a bit grindy, but at this point level my opponents didn't have enough to chew through 40 grots.

from my experience in both games

-Fungoid is so useful, CA generation spells, somewhat tanky and cheap, I sort of understand why he can't use artifacts from the book because he kind of outshine the madcap by a wide margin

-sneaky snuffler are a bit harder to use because of their movement restriction to use the buff, initially it easier since the buff unit can move and then charge your opponent but then your out of range afterward and the next turn you have to move your snuffler forgoing the buff. I found that I had to either hand of gork my snuffler the next turn or make a charge to keep the distance for the buff. a big plus though is that the buff last until your next movement phase and during your opponent turn

-Da Bad moon, one game it did what I needed it too, the other game I rolled poorly with 1s and it got stuck on the edge of the map for the important part of the game

• Thanks 1

On 4/18/2019 at 5:21 AM, Malakree said:

Would love a battle rep, even if it's just footnotes. DoK is one of the top armies atm so more info on what worked/didn't or how you would do it differently is useful!

On 4/22/2019 at 5:19 AM, kamuffinz said:

How did this match go?  As a newer player I was looking to build a 2k Squig List and have all but one extra box of Squig Herd to make this list.  I'm very curious about how the match went.

Also, do you prefer Sword of Judgement over the Clammy Cowl/Gryph Feather Charm?

Yo, apologies on taking so long to get back to you guys earlier with a little write up. Incoming wall of text.

I attached a couple of pictures of the deployment, turn two precharge, and charges. We were playing starstrike as the battle plan, and my opponent held his heartrenders in the sky to deploy later when the objectives fall. Since it was an open board, I used my main squig line on my right flank with the loonboss on giant cave squig along with a contingent of boingrots. I didn't exactly know what to do with my colossal but wanted to see what he would do going up against a horde of witch "aelves." I also set up my badmoon in his left corner.

My opponent gave me the first turn, I wasn't exactly sure what I should do here, he deployed a little defensive, and I did not want to over commit and get countercharged. I moved up a little giving the daughters a window if they wanted to take it to charge. I also short cast mushroom (only a few more inches to get the majority of his horde) but was able to kill about 8 of his sisters who were nice to get rid of. On his turn, he decided to move back a little more and buff his units. He failed the majority of them somehow and ended up wounding the cauldron of blood by failing a prayer. Mork laughed.

Turn Two I won initiative and decided it was time to get a little crazy. The moon moved into the quadrant with his sisters of slaughter and Mouthpiece of Mork hit so I had 3 CP. I tried to dispell the mushroom to push it deeper into his lines but failed, Mork laughed. With that plan shelved I decided to cast squig lure on one of my 24 blocks. In the movement phase, I used Let's Get Bouncing and covered almost my entire squig force but the random 6 on my extreme right flank. I was able to get all of the little ****** into the quadrant so I could run and charge which is what I did. On the left flank, I attempted to charge my Colossal and Loonboss on Mangler into his witch elves. Looking back on this I should have only charged with the Colossal because it would have forced me to attack with my Loonboss first due to his Fight Another Day ability leaving the Colossal exposed. Luckily?... I didn't have to live that mistake because I failed the charge on the Loonboss, but the Colossal made it in.

Along comes Gorks favorite phase combat. I started with the Colossal expecting it to pop against a horde of witch elves. He? It ended up taking out 14 of the little blood crazed things after all their saves. The squigs on the right flank weathered the storm from his sisters and only accumulated six wounds per herd of 24. They attacked back and had great results, sadly the sisters have their 5+ save that on 6's do mortal wounds. I believe a lost another 6 wounds due to that after the regular attacks. I lost 11 squigs between the two herds due to battle shock and another couple due to the rebound effect of the sisters' shields. Finally came his witch elves attacking my Colossal who weathered the flurry of blades and surviving with 6 wounds. Also, note that the objective dropped on my right flank his left in the center, so I kept my Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig there to capture.

To shorten this up a bit he charged his cauldron into my squigs and transformed Morathi and flew her next to the objective along with dropping some of the Heartrenders to capture the objective away from me. The witch elves went first in combat and tore up the ole colossal popping him, and some little squigs came out. I forgot that the Loonboss had Git Shield so I could have negated a few more wounds, but he managed to kill all but one of the flying beats. Sadly Morathi ate his lunch. Looking back I should have run the random herder unit of 6 over to help capture the objective instead of getting into the combat.

On to turn three the objectives dropped in the middle of the board. Sadly real life events came up, and we could not finish the game. I do feel like I would have been able to walk away with the victory. I had more models on the board and in prime locations to capture the objectives and hold them. Overall it was a great game and can't wait to try the list this weekend in a tournament. I know that was a long ass post, if you have any questions let me know.

IMG_2216.HEIC IMG_2215.HEIC IMG_2214.HEIC

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

Now that the Battletome has had a chance to be properly digested, I've got a bunch of questions regarding Squigalanches at 2k...

1) Where are you putting your Battleline requirements? Squig Hoppers from the Stampede? Springing for non-compulsory Squig Herds?

2) How recommended are regular Mangler Squigs? If I was to go with this I'd be 100% taking a Loonboss on Mangler Squig, but what about his generic counterparts?

3) What other characters do you run with the Superbattalion? Is keeping it to 1 drop important enough to not take any wizards? Can one get away with just Loonbosses on Giant Cave Squigs?

4) How much fun is it to say the word 'Squig' as often as possible?

5) Any tips for running this Superbattalion?

11 hours ago, dasnation said:

Yo, apologies on taking so long to get back to you guys earlier with a little write up. Incoming wall of text.

I attached a couple of pictures of the deployment, turn two precharge, and charges. We were playing starstrike as the battle plan, and my opponent held his heartrenders in the sky to deploy later when the objectives fall. Since it was an open board, I used my main squig line on my right flank with the loonboss on giant cave squig along with a contingent of boingrots. I didn't exactly know what to do with my colossal but wanted to see what he would do going up against a horde of witch "aelves." I also set up my badmoon in his left corner.

My opponent gave me the first turn, I wasn't exactly sure what I should do here, he deployed a little defensive, and I did not want to over commit and get countercharged. I moved up a little giving the daughters a window if they wanted to take it to charge. I also short cast mushroom (only a few more inches to get the majority of his horde) but was able to kill about 8 of his sisters who were nice to get rid of. On his turn, he decided to move back a little more and buff his units. He failed the majority of them somehow and ended up wounding the cauldron of blood by failing a prayer. Mork laughed.

Turn Two I won initiative and decided it was time to get a little crazy. The moon moved into the quadrant with his sisters of slaughter and Mouthpiece of Mork hit so I had 3 CP. I tried to dispell the mushroom to push it deeper into his lines but failed, Mork laughed. With that plan shelved I decided to cast squig lure on one of my 24 blocks. In the movement phase, I used Let's Get Bouncing and covered almost my entire squig force but the random 6 on my extreme right flank. I was able to get all of the little ****** into the quadrant so I could run and charge which is what I did. On the left flank, I attempted to charge my Colossal and Loonboss on Mangler into his witch elves. Looking back on this I should have only charged with the Colossal because it would have forced me to attack with my Loonboss first due to his Fight Another Day ability leaving the Colossal exposed. Luckily?... I didn't have to live that mistake because I failed the charge on the Loonboss, but the Colossal made it in.

Along comes Gorks favorite phase combat. I started with the Colossal expecting it to pop against a horde of witch elves. He? It ended up taking out 14 of the little blood crazed things after all their saves. The squigs on the right flank weathered the storm from his sisters and only accumulated six wounds per herd of 24. They attacked back and had great results, sadly the sisters have their 5+ save that on 6's do mortal wounds. I believe a lost another 6 wounds due to that after the regular attacks. I lost 11 squigs between the two herds due to battle shock and another couple due to the rebound effect of the sisters' shields. Finally came his witch elves attacking my Colossal who weathered the flurry of blades and surviving with 6 wounds. Also, note that the objective dropped on my right flank his left in the center, so I kept my Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig there to capture.

To shorten this up a bit he charged his cauldron into my squigs and transformed Morathi and flew her next to the objective along with dropping some of the Heartrenders to capture the objective away from me. The witch elves went first in combat and tore up the ole colossal popping him, and some little squigs came out. I forgot that the Loonboss had Git Shield so I could have negated a few more wounds, but he managed to kill all but one of the flying beats. Sadly Morathi ate his lunch. Looking back I should have run the random herder unit of 6 over to help capture the objective instead of getting into the combat.

On to turn three the objectives dropped in the middle of the board. Sadly real life events came up, and we could not finish the game. I do feel like I would have been able to walk away with the victory. I had more models on the board and in prime locations to capture the objectives and hold them. Overall it was a great game and can't wait to try the list this weekend in a tournament. I know that was a long ass post, if you have any questions let me know.

IMG_2216.HEIC 1.58 MB · 9 downloads IMG_2215.HEIC 1.72 MB · 3 downloads IMG_2214.HEIC 1.79 MB · 2 downloads

I loved this!  I'm still painting up my army, but I can't wait to hear more Batreps from your tournament, please do post!