AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

25 minutes ago, dasnation said:

@Malakree I love it. How do you utilize the fungoid shamans? They have a decent stat line for combat. Do you you get them close or have them sit back?

Another question I had was playing with the stabbas numbers. Would I gain anything by dropping them down to 40? If I keep them are fanatics a must? Is there anything else to optimize them?

They are tanky wizards, generally push them with the rest of your army so they can properly use the spells you take. I don't throw them into combat, their stats don't justify the risk, but you want them in range to hand of gork, itchy nuisance, arcane bolt, mystic shield etc.

Jury is still out on stabbas and using them at various sizes. Personally I think that 60 is the best number for them due to the discount and added impact things like inspiring presence has on them. The loonsmashas definitely aren't mandatory, again that's going to be personal preference. 

My only comment would be that you could potentially trade the Stabbas/Loonsmashas for big Squig Herds instead.

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz

Leaders
Loonboss on Mangler Squigs (300)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)

Battleline

Units
24 x Squig Herd (280)
24 x Squig Herd (280)
6 x Squig Herd (70)
10 x Boingrot Bounderz (200)

Behemoths
Colossal Squig (300)

Endless Spells
Mork's Mighty Mushroom (80)
Quicksilver Swords (20)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 188

You lose the ability to bring your Stabba unit back but actually gain on the wounds, the Squig Herd also benefit from your Manglerboss Command Ability since they are squigs to! Combine that with an already quite nasty attack line and they really aren't terrible. Not to mention that Squig Lure works fantastically on them since they can reroll run and charge rolls from the herders. Combine it with Hand of Gork and suddenly your army is very mobile.

Since you already have the Squig Synergy going on this would play even more into it.

1 hour ago, Congratz said:

Do you guys use any battalions? Are they good or bad?

I used squig rider stampede a few time, the reroll movement can become very handy and help with the random movement that squig riders have.

I have used Troggherd and I feel is too expensive for what it does. it has some merits with lowering your drops and battalion ability is pretty nice if your running a lot of fellwater

3 hours ago, dasnation said:

@Malakree I like the squig list a lot. I think I am going to go that route. What are your thoughts on dropping one fungoid and swords, then add a loonboss on giant gave squig?

I kept it in just so I was altering the list as little as possible from yours with the 60 stabbas. It was to show you how you could make the swap.

There is definitely space for the loonboss on squig, move 8 with reroll run rolls, run and charge is hilariously rude.

Yeah, I think I am going to do that instead. Thank you for your help. Should I keep the sword of judgment on the loonboss on mangler or take a different artifact? Or transfer the artifact to the loonboss on giant cave squig?

EDIT: Thoughts on an all Gobbo army?

Edited by dasnation

17 hours ago, Malakree said:

They are tanky wizards, generally push them with the rest of your army so they can properly use the spells you take. I don't throw them into combat, their stats don't justify the risk, but you want them in range to hand of gork, itchy nuisance, arcane bolt, mystic shield etc.

I would not consider melee a primary role for him, but his stats are surprisingly decent for a cheap hero/wizard.  He has 5 attacks at 4/4 and -1 rend on 3 of them.   I would certainly consider tossing him into a melee in certain situations.  Of course, this all depends on what he would be fighting and how critical the spell he has been allotted is for my game plan.

I'm just saying that his personal attacks (ignore mount attacks) are arguably better than a few of the moonclan combat heroes.  Given that he is a wizard people might overlook his melee profile and it can be a good "ace up the sleeve" in certain situations.

Edited by Skabnoze

I've got a good template of units that have worked for me in past games and I'm slowly piecing together what I like and dislike, but I'd like some other opinions if able. 

Mortal Realm: Ulgu
Skragrott, The Loonking (220)
- General
- Lore of the Moonclans: The Hand of Gork
- Artefact: Doppelganger Cloak 
Loonboss (70)
24 x Squig Herd (280)
40 x Stabbas (260)
- Stabbas & Moon Shields
- 6x Barbed Nets
- 1x Moonclan Flag Bearers
- 1x Badmoon Icon Bearers

Total: 1530 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 9
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 151

As I'm looking at it now, I see a couple things. 

> I need another battleline. Choices are Shootas/Stabbas or another unit of Squig Herd. Without Squig Lure/Moon Assistance they might not get into combat quick enough. 

> Maybe combine the Bounders into 1x15 and take a Loonboss on Squig to guarantee they get a charge and have a babysitter for inspiring? 15 bounders can do more than 10 can, for sure. 

> Add a unit of 6 Rockguts or 2x3 Fellwater to assist the grots as they push up.

> Possibly add Mollog for the additional bravery buff and as a beatstick for enemy heroes. Everywhere I've read says he's a very decent support hero for the cost. 

> I have both a regular mangler squig and a colossal squig to add in another heavy hitter, but they're very fragile. Unsure on worth. Might be fun to deepstrike them though. 

> I'd like to include another shaman for an additional spell, or at the least some endless spells like Geminids or Scuttletide to make better use of Skragrott. 

>Skragrott is good, but I'm not fond of his model. I'm sort of wanting to run 2x Fungoid instead of Skragrott though, to fit in more Troggs or Grots. That gives me access to another spell choice too. 

Edited by RaritanAnon

2 hours ago, RoyalDachshund said:

Did anybody tried/thought of making a squig mega battalion with the one and only Gordrak from Ironjawz? His command ability working on entire battalion could be a deadly force.

Do you have the points for it at 2k? 

Allegiance: Destruction

Leaders
Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig (110)
- Moon-cutta
Gordrakk the Fist of Gork (580)

Battleline
20 x Gitmob Grots (100)
- Bows & Slashas
20 x Gitmob Grots (100)
- Bows & Slashas
20 x Gitmob Grots (100)
- Bows & Slashas

Units
5 x Boingrot Bounderz (100)
5 x Boingrot Bounderz (100)

Behemoths
Mangler Squigs (240)

Battalions
Squig Rider Stampede (140)
Squigalanche (90)

Total: 1660 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 8
Wounds: 113

Its a bit tight tbh

7 hours ago, RoyalDachshund said:

Did anybody tried/thought of making a squig mega battalion with the one and only Gordrak from Ironjawz? His command ability working on entire battalion could be a deadly force.

Honestly I think it is nastier with a Troggherd.  And funny enough, in that situation the Dankholds and Gargants become surprisingly nasty when their string singular attacks (headbutt, mighty kicks, crushing grip) get multiplied by Gordrakk's command ability.

Any tips for finishing this list? 

LEADERS

Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)

Loonboss on Mangler Squigs (300)

Skragrott, The Loonking (220)

UNITS

10 x Boingrot Bounderz (200)

60 x Stabbas (360) - Pokin Spears & Moon Shields

6 x Rockgut Troggoths (320)

BATTALIONS

Squigalanche (90)

TOTAL: 1780/2000    

EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 5    

WOUNDS: 146

Not married to 6x Rockguts, could remove 3 of them easily if it helps. Not sure what else to get. Not super keen on more stabbas so I'm not sure how good it is to add stuff to buff the only unit I have. Any thoughts, crits, commenst appreciated 😃

Edited by Nox

1 hour ago, Sonic said:

Does Gordrakk have to be the general to use that ability? It doesn't start specifically on the warscroll that u have to be the general as it does with Skragrott.

It's noticed if he needs to be the general to use the command ability, like Skragrott for exemple.

2 hours ago, ShaneHobbes said:

Can you use battalion's from Gloomspite or any other faction for generic Alliegances like Destruction?

Of course ! That's why Gordrakk can shine in mixed Destruction ;)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sonic said:

SO you don't have to use Gitmob Grots in that example u can just have a Gloomspite General and use Gloomspite battleine, which should give you more margin for other choices.

Most units are "Gloomspite Gitz Battleline (If appropriate General)"

This means they are only Battleline in Gloomspite Allegiance.  You cannot fit Gordrakk into Gloomspite allegiance, because he costs more than your 400 points of Allies.

So he can only be taken in a Destruction allegiance army.  Which means you need 3x Battleline (not Gloomspite Battleline If).  Gitmob are cheaper than Stabbas or Shootas, hence they actually give you more choice.

The only one that's cheaper again is Orruks (Greenskinz) at 80 points.

You get a bit more room to work with from just taking the Stampede I think (rather than the Squigalanche).  I'd be looking at that with Gordrakk, personally.

You won't be under the Bad Moon anyway, so you can't possibly get any Battallion benefits outside of the Allegiance.  

Most of the punch and hence the reason for this build is the extra attacks on the Bounders with their two profiles, and the 3D6 charge to get the charge off?

You could fit in a Loonboss on Giant Squig for the +3 movement, or a even Wizard to cast Cogs or Arachnacauldron + Squig Lure / Hand of Gork.

Edited by PlasticCraic

play a small point game with my Rock army lead by my fungoid shaman against New Khorne.

it was going well for me at first as I manage to take an early lead on turn two with hold both objective using hand of Gork and top of turn 3 I manage to charge and wipe out all of his blood reavers in one round of rockgut attacks. then my opponent turn the Slaughter priest both bloodboiled and summon the new axe spell on my trolls and I lost a good chunk of my unit in one hero phase. on turn 4 he got initiative and bloodboiled 6 MW and kill my trolls and then charge my fungoid 

in the end he got two bloodtithe point where he could have summon bloodletters on his home objective. he could have tied the game if he could have gotten both objective on turn 5 but my Shaman survived 2 rounds of combat from the slaughterpriest and denied one of the objective. so I won 18 to 13 on objective

it was crazy game, rockguts are pretty awesome in term of damage but I was disappointed that my 5+ save on MW didn't help as much during the game

On 4/4/2019 at 3:06 PM, Nox said:

LEADERS

Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)

UNITS

BATTALIONS

Squigalanche (90)

Not married to 6x Rockguts, could remove 3 of them easily if it helps. Not sure what else to get. Not super keen on more stabbas so I'm not sure how good it is to add stuff to buff the only unit I have. Any thoughts, crits, commenst appreciated 😃

Sneaky Snufflers buff both Stabbas and Squigs, so take a unit or two of those.  Additionally you have more than enough magical firepower to make use of Endless Spells.  Specifically the mushroom.

On 4/4/2019 at 8:06 PM, Nox said:

LEADERS

Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)

UNITS

BATTALIONS

Squigalanche (90)

I think you need to get two more battleline units.

31 minutes ago, mikethefish said:

Oh yeah - didn't even notice he had Bounderz, rather than Hopperz.   Those aren't battle line, so this list needs to be rehashed from the ground up, really

@Nox @Aelfric

With the spare points you could get the extra 2 battleline. Can't help feeling though that the rockguts just don't fit in the list.

Could drop them for more bounderz and 6x6 squig herd to fill the battleline. Even so you need the squigrider stampede to run squigalanch.

Leaders
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- General

Battleline
60 x Stabbas (360)
- Pokin Spears & Moon Shields
6 x Squig Herd (70)
6 x Squig Herd (70)

Units

Battalions

Total: 1650 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 
Wounds: 146

Would be the legal "base" version of the list you are trying for.

If you desperately want the squigalanch is go here instead.

Leaders
- General

Battleline
24 x Squig Herd (280)
12 x Squig Herd (140)
10 x Squig Hoppers (180)

Units

Behemoths
Mangler Squigs (240)

Battalions
Squigalanche (90)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 162

Edited by Malakree

1 hour ago, Malakree said:

@Nox @Aelfric

With the spare points you could get the extra 2 battleline. Can't help feeling though that the rockguts just don't fit in the list.

Could drop them for more bounderz and 6x6 squig herd to fill the battleline. Even so you need the squigrider stampede to run squigalanch.

Leaders
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- General

Battleline
60 x Stabbas (360)
- Pokin Spears & Moon Shields
6 x Squig Herd (70)
6 x Squig Herd (70)

Units

Battalions

Total: 1650 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 
Wounds: 146

Would be the legal "base" version of the list you are trying for.

If you desperately want the squigalanch is go here instead.

Leaders
- General

Battleline
24 x Squig Herd (280)
12 x Squig Herd (140)
10 x Squig Hoppers (180)

Units

Behemoths
Mangler Squigs (240)

Battalions
Squigalanche (90)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 162

I much prefer your first list and add a Loonboss and Snufflers to buff the Stabbas for 140 points, then possibly use the remaining 210 points to bring one Squig Herd up to 24, or take more spellcasters and an endless spell or two.  To me, with regards the 2nd list,  the Squigalanche is dependant on the Bad Moon and you end up with 3 artifacts and only one Hero to take one.