AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

38 minutes ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Well has he ever dealt with 13 ratman, fused together through hate, plague, might and cunning?

Well since most hated skarsnik isn’t her to tell the tale anymore, I guess this leaves you to find out.😜

Eh, I expect that sneakily dropping hints about the location of our super secret weapons, or a major cache of warpstone, when in reality the location is a massive squig breeding lair - will still work like a charm.  Tunneling into there will be a fun surprise!

I would also expect that Skragrott might have some fun ideas as well.  Maybe some warpstone powder that has tiny spores for an amusing fungus that infests the brain and takes over the hosts body?  Everyone should get in on Fun with Fungus!

Edited by Skabnoze
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Nickmoss90 said:

I prefer the squigs tbh. I watch people playing games and the stabbas just seem to blob around not doing very much. Such a slow unit. This is my view. Shame the loon shrine has no benefit to squigs. 

I understand 60 is hard to shift but with the use of endless spells a unit of 60 can soon disappear.

Who else is building a list around squigs with a few shamans for spells?

Squigs with magic support is what ive been aiming for from the start. Just hard to nail down something I like

13 hours ago, Forrix said:

I wonder if they'd make the Gobbapalooza guys heroes but without the leader role and allow them to be added separately for 40 to 50 points a pop. It wouldn't actually be a sweeping warscroll rewrite but would make them much easier to fit into lists and fit what they've done in the Blades of Khorne and Fyreslayers books.

Boggleye goes in every list we have the moment this happens.

To some extent the bad/niche ones are a tax on the good ones.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Well has he ever dealt with 13 ratman, fused together through hate, plague, might and cunning?

Well since most hated skarsnik isn’t her to tell the tale anymore, I guess this leaves you to find out.😜

Actually.. Yeah, he did :D he promptly bribed it, after doing some good old intimidation smack-talk. End times, good times. 

That wasn't the Verminking, mind you, but the encounter would very much play out the same way, regardless.

Edited by Mayple
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

Those new contrast paints might make squig and grot painting much faster

I have probably 200 grots still unpainted. I’m really thinking this might be the way to go. Spray, use the darker green for skin, black for cloth, brown for spear hafts and shields, really any color for shield moons but probably yellow, then pick out remaining detail in normal fashion.

Edited by FPC

2 hours ago, FPC said:

I have probably 200 grots still unpainted. I’m really thinking this might be the way to go. Spray, use the darker green for skin, black for cloth, brown for spear hafts and shields, really any color for shield moons but probably yellow, then pick out remaining detail in normal fashion.

That actually sounds legit

51 minutes ago, Nickmoss90 said:

Is anyone else looking at the loon boss of cave squig and thinking why would I take the cutta? Just loosing 1inch on the range. ? ?? Anyone?

Why would I take the cutta!? I would just lose 1 inch on the range, and loose out on that sweet knightly lancer look! 

:D

Edited by Mayple

17 minutes ago, newsun said:

I think 40 shootas are better than stabbas if bringing buffs. Otherwise splitting to 20 makes sense.

Why? The attacks buffs are melee only, the loonboss CA is combat phase only.

What buffs are there for ranged which would make shootas better than stabbas. Also what's the advantage to having 40 shootas vs 20x20 shootas.

3 hours ago, Malakree said:

What buffs are there for ranged which would make shootas better than stabbas. 

Months ago on first read I thought the shootas benefited from both the Backstabbing Mob and Moonclan Bows rules for a +1 to hit and +2 to wound in large units. I only skimmed the paragraph of Backstabbing Mob and probably was selectively reading as who would ever give a ranged units a combat only buff. 

I'd guess there are a lot of other people who thought the same as I did and didn't read it a second time / play someone who reads the rules and corrects them.

8 hours ago, Malakree said:

Why? The attacks buffs are melee only, the loonboss CA is combat phase only.

What buffs are there for ranged which would make shootas better than stabbas. Also what's the advantage to having 40 shootas vs 20x20 shootas.

They have a range attack so buffing their melee is defensive. Neither are great in melee to begin with. At 60 for the points discount sure.

Hey guys,

I'm currently working on a 1k points list aiming to field squigs only :)

My first draft looks as follows:

Heroes

-Loonboos on Mangler squig

-Loonboss on giant cave suig

Battleline

-12 squigs

-12 squigs

Other

-10 Boingrot Bounders

-5 Boingrot Bounders

The one thing I was thinking about was to change the 5 Bounders to a Fungoid cave shaman, however I think more bodies could prove more important than the spell.

What are your thoughts on the list? Thanks in advance for any suggestions :)

4 hours ago, newsun said:

They have a range attack so buffing their melee is defensive. Neither are great in melee to begin with. At 60 for the points discount sure.

Except you're losing the +1 save from shields for a mediocre ranged attack.

49 minutes ago, Grudgebearer said:

The one thing I was thinking about was to change the 5 Bounders to a Fungoid cave shaman, however I think more bodies could prove more important than the spell. 

Definitly swap 5 Bounderz into a Fungoid cave shaman ! More than the spell (Squig Lure is almost mandatory though), the CP farm is super important with two Command ability you will need to spam with the Loonbosses 

What your opinion about this list ? The idea is to mix the squig army with some of utility from magic.

Two Fungoid to farm some CPs and usual spells. I really wanted to try to include a Webspinner on arachnarok w/ Sneaky Distraction and combine it with some Stabbas ! A regular Webspinner to be able to cast Venomous Spiderlings . The core of a squig army, Scuttletide for obvious reasons and the cauldron mostly use with the webspinner on arachnarok.

Spoiler

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Webspinner Shaman on Arachnarok Spider (300)
- Artefact: Spellmirror 
- Lore of the Spiderfangs: Sneaky Distraction
Loonboss on Mangler Squigs (300)
- General
- Trait: Fight Another Day 
- Artefact: Sword of Judgement 
Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig (110)
- Moonclan Stabba
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Lore of the Moonclans: The Hand of Gork
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Lore of the Moonclans: Squig Lure
Webspinner Shaman (80)
- Lore of the Spiderfangs: Venomous Spiderlings

Battleline
40 x Stabbas (260)
- Pokin Spears & Moon Shields
6 x Squig Herd (70)
6 x Squig Herd (70)

Units
10 x Boingrot Bounderz (200)
10 x Boingrot Bounderz (200)

Battalions
Squig Rider Stampede (140)

Endless Spells
Scuttletide (30)
Scrapskuttle's Arachnacauldron (50)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 148

Edited by Arkahn

7 hours ago, Malakree said:

Except you're losing the +1 save from shields for a mediocre ranged attack.

Is true and it evens the choice out some, though 5+ is not a good save.  Either could be taken and it's not going to make a hug difference. Definitely not cut and dry. I just like the work 1-2 turns off shooting will assist with before lines crash.  If I really wanted to smash in melee, I'd bring 60 stabbas with buffs or one of the harder hitting units.

55 minutes ago, newsun said:

Is true and it evens the choice out some, though 5+ is not a good save.  Either could be taken and it's not going to make a hug difference. Definitely not cut and dry. I just like the work 1-2 turns off shooting will assist with before lines crash.  If I really wanted to smash in melee, I'd bring 60 stabbas with buffs or one of the harder hitting units.

My argument is more, there is no reason ever to take shootas in a single block over 20.

The bonus kicks in at 15, you get the 3 netters and if you get hit by something huge it's at best killing 20 not 40.

Stabbas on the other hand do get better as they increase in numbers, if nothing else because the +wound in melee makes way more difference on stabbas, or spears, than on slittas.

As a front line soak unit stabbas are just better that +1 to save equates to ~20% less damage taken. Compare that to 1 maybe 2 volleys at 1-4 saves with no rend.

Some stats from 20 shootas at full strength and 14 models.

graph.php?q=r:450:17:1:m000&f=isr&s=&t=0

graph.php?q=r:550:11:1:m000&f=isr&s=&t=0

That's number of saves required not damage dealt. Combine with a 16" range and you have one of the most garbage shooting profiles in the game.

Edited by Malakree