AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

On 2/5/2019 at 11:30 PM, Nickmoss90 said:

How many people are going for a mainly squig army? So far I have:

Skragrott, Mollog, squig herd X6, squig herd x6, boingrot x5, boingrot x5. Tot 730 points 58 wounds. I am very tempted to get the wallet out and add a mangler squig. That will take me up to almost 1000. PS I am not going for a full competitive list. 

The more I think about it the more I am leaning to the squigs and not the grots.  

Yeah I’m going all Squigs then topping it up with trogs. 

Joined a slow grow league and I’ve won both my games so far, we’re only at 500points currently but my list is:

boss on manglers

5x hoppers

5x bounders.

going up to 750 next sonill be adding another unit each of hoppers and bounders. Then another mangler when we get up to 1000

• Like 1

Sorry if this has been covered already, but what are thoughts regarding a unit of 3 Dankhold Troggoths?  Worth purchasing?  Or for the points am I better off getting 4 units of Rockguts?  Looking to me like Rockguts are the winners but wanted to see what others thought. 

I sure do like the pulverizing grip of the Dankholds.  Could be fun Hand of Gorking 3 of them across the table!

23 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Sorry if this has been covered already, but what are thoughts regarding a unit of 3 Dankhold Troggoths?  Worth purchasing?  Or for the points am I better off getting 4 units of Rockguts?  Looking to me like Rockguts are the winners but wanted to see what others thought. 

I sure do like the pulverizing grip of the Dankholds.  Could be fun Hand of Gorking 3 of them across the table!

3 dankhold is probably Maximum fun potential but I think general consensus is that the regular Dankhold are not that good for the it points right now. even the Trogboss is kind of a tax unit if you want to use the Trogherd batallion. plus three dankhold is a lot of points for something that not your battleline when building your army.

Rockguts and fellwater however are both solid choices for the price point and you can't really go wrong with them 

Current internet wisdom (sometimes right and sometimes wrong) says that Dankhold are not that great.  The same wisdom holds that the Troggboss is not that great on his own - but command traits and relics benefit him enormously and can change that.

My advice would be to proxy them out in a couple of games if you are interested in using them or buying a few of the models.  You may find that you agree with the opinion that they are an amazing model but have overpriced rules, or you may find that you really like them and find that they are worth the value to you.  I would mainly consider online opinions of what is good or not to be simply opinionated advice and decide for yourself.  At the end of the day what matters is that you enjoy using the models that you buy and everyones opinion is subjective.

12 hours ago, papary said:

Yeah I’m going all Squigs then topping it up with trogs. 

Joined a slow grow league and I’ve won both my games so far, we’re only at 500points currently but my list is:

boss on manglers

5x hoppers

5x bounders.

going up to 750 next sonill be adding another unit each of hoppers and bounders. Then another mangler when we get up to 1000

I have a mangler and a fungoid arriving shortly. Mangler takes me to just under 1k fungoid is for my 1.5k push.

What are your thoughts on the mangler and the mangler with loonboss?

I have Skragrott and I think the control over the moon although it is a one time use is just amazing. Plus his shooting attack is incredible with the mortal wounds rolling on every battle round.

1 minute ago, Nickmoss90 said:

I have a mangler and a fungoid arriving shortly. Mangler takes me to just under 1k fungoid is for my 1.5k push.

What are your thoughts on the mangler and the mangler with loonboss?

I have Skragrott and I think the control over the moon although it is a one time use is just amazing. Plus his shooting attack is incredible with the mortal wounds rolling on every battle round.

I really love the manglerboss. It has been mvp in every game! Especially if you give him the ability to Attack and run away afterwards! I think adding another standard mangler is going to be a nice idea.

I try to figure what artifacts are good on him

there a cheeky combos you can do with the Mangler boss like Dopperganger cloak and Fight another day where you can escape from combat during your opponent combat phase.

thermorider cloak, Glyphfeather charm, or any of the defensive one seems pretty alright on him

41 minutes ago, papary said:

I really love the manglerboss. It has been mvp in every game! Especially if you give him the ability to Attack and run away afterwards! I think adding another standard mangler is going to be a nice idea.

In order to keep my point under 1k he will have to be a standard mangler. Is there anything wrong with building him as a mangler with loonboss and playing him as a normal mangler? People's thoughts? Casual game would be fine what about competitive gameplay?

My 2k I think is looking like this.

Skragrott - general, Fungoid, Mollog, Herd, Herd, Herd, Herd,  Stabbas, loonsmasha, Boingrott, Boingrott, Rockguts, Mangler, Mangler, Morks mushroom, Cauldron.

Two standard manglers. Not sure on spells depend on the game. Squig lure is good. Having the cauldron makes it not an issue.

Edited by Nickmoss90

3 hours ago, Nickmoss90 said:

Casual game would be fine what about competitive gameplay?

Casual play it’s more than fine. Competitive play there is and will always be only 1 answer. It is case dependent and ask your TO before hand.

I wouldn’t like playing against it but what I like doesn’t matter in competitive play. What matters is the TOs call and what he says during the event or in the players pack.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, svnvaldez said:

Casual play it’s more than fine. Competitive play there is and will always be only 1 answer. It is case dependent and ask your TO before hand.

I wouldn’t like playing against it but what I like doesn’t matter in competitive play. What matters is the TOs call and what he says during the event or in the players pack.

When I get the model maybe I can attach a magnet and then it won't be an issue.

Bringing this bad boy to an event in two weeks :D

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz
Mortal Realm: Chamon
Dankhold Troggboss (300)
- General
- Trait: Loonskin 
- Artefact: Glowy Howzit 
Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig (110)
- Moonclan Stabba
- Artefact: Gildenbane 
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Lore of the Moonclans: The Hand of Gork
Madcap Shaman (80)
- Lore of the Moonclans: Squig Lure
60 x Stabbas (360)
- Stabbas & Moon Shields
- 9x Barbed Nets
- 1x Moonclan Flag Bearers
- 2x Badmoon Icon Bearers
3 x Rockgut Troggoths (160)
5 x Loonsmasha Fanatics (140)
10 x Boingrot Bounderz (200)
5 x Boingrot Bounderz (100)
Squig Rider Stampede (140)
Malevolent Moon (50)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 155

Lots of eggs in different baskets. Bunch of sneaky tricks ;)

• LOVE IT! 2

On 2/8/2019 at 4:38 AM, Amradiel said:

Your strongest 1k lists? Go!

Leaders
Loonboss (70)
- General
- Trait: Tough 'n' Leathery 
Madcap Shaman (80)
- Artefact: Moonface Mommet 
- Lore of the Moonclans: Itchy Nuisance

Battleline
6 x Squig Herd (70)
20 x Stabbas (130)
- Stabbas & Moon Shields
- 3x Barbed Nets
- 1x Badmoon Icon Bearers

Units

Behemoths
Mangler Squigs (240)
Mangler Squigs (240)

Endless Spells
Scuttletide (30)

Total: 1000 
Wounds: 70

Edited by gnaleinad
  • Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 1:38 PM, Amradiel said:

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz - Mortal Realm: Aqshy

LEADERS
Troggoth Hag (380) - Artefact :  Ignax's Scales 
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90) - General - Command Trait : Boss Shaman  - Lore of the Moonclans : The Hand of Gork

UNITS
60 x Stabbas (360) - Stabbas & Moon Shields - 9 x  Barbed Nets - 1 x  Moonclan Flag Bearers - 1 x  Badmoon Icon Bearers
6 x Squig Herd (70)

ENDLESS SPELLS
Scrapskuttle's Arachnacauldron (50)
Balewind Vortex (40)

TOTAL: 990

On 2/8/2019 at 7:38 AM, Amradiel said:

Scuttleboss on Gigantic Spider (100)
- General
- Trait: Monstrous Mount 
Webspinner Shaman on Arachnarok Spider (300)
- Artefact: Totem of the Spider God 
10 x Spider Riders (200)
20 x Stabbas (130)
- Stabbas & Moon Shields
Arachnarok Spider with Spiderfang Warparty (250)
Quicksilver Swords (20)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 74

17 hours ago, Mayple said:

Bringing this bad boy to an event in two weeks :D

Mortal Realm: Chamon
Dankhold Troggboss (300)
- General
- Trait: Loonskin 
- Artefact: Glowy Howzit 
Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig (110)
- Moonclan Stabba
- Artefact: Gildenbane 
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
Madcap Shaman (80)
- Lore of the Moonclans: Squig Lure
60 x Stabbas (360)
- Stabbas & Moon Shields
- 9x Barbed Nets
- 1x Moonclan Flag Bearers
- 2x Badmoon Icon Bearers
10 x Boingrot Bounderz (200)
Squig Rider Stampede (140)
Malevolent Moon (50)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 155

Lots of eggs in different baskets. Bunch of sneaky tricks ;)

Dankhold for General huh? 

Hag list liked we talked about a few pages back. Not completely sold but it could be very annoying to fight. Dont know what spell to Give Skragrott.

Mortal Realm: Shyish

Skragrott, The Loonking (220)
- General
Troggoth Hag (380)
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet 
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
60 x Stabbas (360)
- Pokin Spears & Moon Shields
6 x Squig Herd (70)
6 x Squig Herd (70)
15 x Boingrot Bounderz (300)
Scrapskuttle's Arachnacauldron (50)
Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 169

• Like 1

On 2/9/2019 at 8:00 AM, Lord Krungharr said:

Doom and Darkness did a good video on Troggoths, with a detailed breakdown of why rates some units more highly than others (FWIW he is doing a Troggoth army himself):

• Like 1

I'm REALLY enjoying playing this army, I know my list depends a lot on random rolls but I've been lucky so far.

General-Loonboss On Mangler- Clammy Cowl/fight another day  300points

5 x bounders-100 points

5 x bounders-100 points

5x hoppers-90 points

5x hoppers-90 points

Mangler squigs240 points

that's 920 total.  I've considered throwing a shaman in just for some spells...

50 minutes ago, swiftmus said:

I haven't started assembling my Mangler yet, and was wondering how easy it would be to make it modular, so that I can use it as a regular Mangler or the Loonboss version. 

I am also thinking about this. I plan to maybe attaching a small magnet to use it as both.

4 hours ago, swiftmus said:

I haven't started assembling my Mangler yet, and was wondering how easy it would be to make it modular, so that I can use it as a regular Mangler or the Loonboss version. 

You get two separate bodies to go sit on the top, the loonboss and a normal grot. . So I imagine if you be quite easy to magnetise each one and swap between them if that’s what you wanted to do. 

Mangler Boss Artefact?  Thoughts with the "fight another day" command trait? 

Thinking that he's less likely get hit with melee attacks round 1, and in general, given the running away option.  So, makes me think bigger threat is magic/mortals (or eventually shooting if the meta swings back).  

From this thread and podcast discussions, these seem to be the top of the list: 

- 1 to hit (Clammy Cowl / Gryphfeather Charm)

No save mod (Ethereal Amulet)

4+ / 5+ save vs. mortal wounds (Agrax Scales / Loonstone Talisman)

Ignore D3 mortal wounds (Lens of Refraction - seems too situational and gameable by big magic list opponents - once per round, first time friendly in 6" suffers, roll D3)

Thoughts?

23 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Hag list liked we talked about a few pages back. Not completely sold but it could be very annoying to fight. Dont know what spell to Give Skragrott.

Mortal Realm: Shyish

Skragrott, The Loonking (220)
- General
Troggoth Hag (380)
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet 
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
60 x Stabbas (360)
- Pokin Spears & Moon Shields
6 x Squig Herd (70)
6 x Squig Herd (70)
15 x Boingrot Bounderz (300)
Scrapskuttle's Arachnacauldron (50)
Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 169

I can see this being a pain to play against. I like this army a lot.