AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

4 hours ago, InfernalStone said:

May belong in painting, but figured someone specifically in this channel may already have an answer.  Anyone come across a good speed painting process for that lighter color, some what washed out skin that the night goblins have?  Last time I did green skin was green wash over yellow base, which looked great for that bold 40k Ork skin, but not so much for these guys.

Someone posted one way back, but searching on mobile on a nearly 90 page thread?  Blarg.

my suggestion, don't start with a yellow base. Start instead with like celestra gray, zandri dust or rakarth flesh, then wash with like cammo shade.. twice if it's not green enough for you.

1 hour ago, borghe said:

my suggestion, don't start with a yellow base. Start instead with like celestra gray, zandri dust or rakarth flesh, then wash with like cammo shade.. twice if it's not green enough for you.

I wasn't.  I normally prime with white or light grey these days.  In this instance it was a bad moons speed painting guide.  Prime white, base everything yellow, ork skin done with green wash.  Works amazingly well for that 40k color ork ( The guide I followed is here: https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/374651.page incase you're curious of how it shakes out)

I'll have a look at your suggestions when I'm at the shop tonight.  May work out well since I'm planning on going with off-white robes for my gobbos.

13 minutes ago, InfernalStone said:

I wasn't.  I normally prime with white or light grey these days.  In this instance it was a bad moons speed painting guide.  Prime white, base everything yellow, ork skin done with green wash.  Works amazingly well for that 40k color ork ( The guide I followed is here: https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/374651.page incase you're curious of how it shakes out)

I'll have a look at your suggestions when I'm at the shop tonight.  May work out well since I'm planning on going with off-white robes for my gobbos.

lol I watched the SAME video... yeah, it looked great but I don't want yellow robes 😫 However it does seem like a solid concession (if you're ok with it) for the sake of speed painting.

I'm really in the same boat.. looking through the Battle tome I like some of the two color robe schemes. I am thinking base coat the whole model with a lighter color (probably the hood color), apply a wash of green over the skin (can hit the hands here as well). use a darker color for the body of the robes. IMHO the best of the bunch was dark purple hoods with "black" robes.. but I don't think there's a damn way to speed paint that scheme....

6 minutes ago, borghe said:

lol I watched the SAME video... yeah, it looked great but I don't want yellow robes 😫 However it does seem like a solid concession (if you're ok with it) for the sake of speed painting.

I'm really in the same boat.. looking through the Battle tome I like some of the two color robe schemes. I am thinking base coat the whole model with a lighter color (probably the hood color), apply a wash of green over the skin (can hit the hands here as well). use a darker color for the body of the robes. IMHO the best of the bunch was dark purple hoods with "black" robes.. but I don't think there's a damn way to speed paint that scheme....

I think it wouldn't be too bad.  do the purple and the black (or a really dark warm grey, just to have a touch of color), wash both with Nuln, edge single color edge highlight.  Maybe single and touch step lighter at hard corners for a little more pop.

Check this out, that's literally just an army painter wash for the cloak.  http://paintbrushheroes.blogspot.com/2015/06/a-night-goblin-speed-painted.html

Maybe get two blacks and a purple, so you can have a clean black then mix up a giant vat of your purple, but darkened up to your liking.

My thinking is to sort of bring out the mushroom bit, the cloth in off white, wash in probably Agrax, then pick a series of mushroomy colors for the hoods.  I think that way since the robe, the head and a lot of the other stuff is muted, let the mushrooms and hoods pop color into the army.

Edited by InfernalStone
Found something

Hey everyone,

Possibly looking at starting a Gloomspite Gitz force for a painting project and to get me started with tournaments.

Just wanted to ask the Gloomspite Gitz is it a pure faction?, can you take anything from the battletome and it all counts as a Gloomspite Gitz army? (I prefer pure armies rather than soup armies).

And finally I realise they have just come out, but do they look to be competitive on paper?

Cheers

12 minutes ago, Shinzra said:

Hey everyone,

Possibly looking at starting a Gloomspite Gitz force for a painting project and to get me started with tournaments.

Just wanted to ask the Gloomspite Gitz is it a pure faction?, can you take anything from the battletome and it all counts as a Gloomspite Gitz army? (I prefer pure armies rather than soup armies).

And finally I realise they have just come out, but do they look to be competitive on paper?

Cheers

It depends on what you mean by "pure" and "soup" armies.  If you mean in regards to rules mechanics - then yes it is a pure army.  There is only a single allegiance in this army - which is Gloomspite Gits.  However, the book is effectively a keyword-bingo collection of subfactions.  They can all work together in the same force without any weird ally shenanigans, and they always retain access to the allegiance abilities, but what models you have in your force will define what command abilities, artifacts, spell lores, battalions, and buffs that you can utilize.

So one way to think of it is as a large unified force that is comprised of enough subfaction synergy that you can play full subfaction forces or unified forces as you like. 

As far as competitiveness, there does appear to be some very strong stuff in the book.  I think they will definitely be able to do well at the top levels of competition - but it is still too early to really tell.  But for the vast majority of games that any of us play I think this book will easily be able to compete.

Edited by Skabnoze
  • Like 1

How many people are going for a mainly squig army? So far I have:

Skragrott, Mollog, squig herd X6, squig herd x6, boingrot x5, boingrot x5. Tot 730 points 58 wounds. I am very tempted to get the wallet out and add a mangler squig. That will take me up to almost 1000. PS I am not going for a full competitive list. 

The more I think about it the more I am leaning to the squigs and not the grots.  

5 hours ago, Nickmoss90 said:

How many people are going for a mainly squig army?

The more I think about it the more I am leaning to the squigs and not the grots.  

I’m going for a full force of every specialization.  So all squigs, all grots, all spiders, all trolls, 4 bonegrinders, etc.  The question I am toying with is how big of a force of each do I build.

I already owned over 2k points of pure squigs before this boom came out - so I expect that I will end up with probably about 4k of pure Squigs.

Right my fellow Gitz I’ve gone and bought a Throne of Skulls ticket... which means I now need a list. Here is what I had in mind and would like to hear your thoughts. TOS is not meant to be super competitive so hopefully this has the right mix of strong and fun. 

Skragrott the Loonking (general)  - Call da Moon (cos it’s a spell I think fits his character) 

Loonboss

Fungoid Cave Shaman - The Hand of Gork 

Loonboss on Mangler - The Clammy Cowl 

60 Stabbas - stabbas (cos they look cooler)  

6 Squig Herd

6 Squig Herd

5 Loonsmashas

5 Sporeslattas

6 Sneaky Snufflers

10 Boingrot Bounderz

3 Rockgut Troggoths

Morks Mighty Mushroom

not sure whether I should keep it at 1950 for the command point, or because I have the shaman and the Loonking, just plug in another endless spell. 

Thoughts?

Edited by Matt Large

2 hours ago, Matt Large said:

not sure whether I should keep it at 1950 for the command point, or because I have the shaman and the Loonking, just plug in another endless spell. 

Thoughts?

Yeah I wouldn't worry about the extra CP.

Between Skragrott, the Fungoid and the Moon, you will be getting plenty.

And you can keep your Stabbas near the the Shrine turn 1 for Battleshock protection, especially with Hand of Gork in play.

I'd take Geminids personally.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

Yeah I wouldn't worry about the extra CP.

Between Skragrott, the Fungoid and the Moon, you will be getting plenty.

And you can keep your Stabbas near the the Shrine turn 1 for Battleshock protection, especially with Hand of Gork in play.

I'd take Geminids personally.

Awesome cheers. It’s either the Geminids or the Malevolent Moon I’m weighing up. Geminids for utility and the moon cos it’s funny. I take it the rest of the list looks half decent then? 

Yeah it's a really good army for the event imo.  There's quite a few fun choices in there and it all comes together to be an effective army I think.

Are Realm artefacts in play?  If so the Gryph Feather Charm is strictly better than the Clammy Cowl.  

But generally you have a nice spread of units, some really big hitters, ways to keep the key units alive and some stuff that will die quickly so your opponent feels engaged!

• Like 1

Perfect, just the kind of army I wanted to take! Yeah all the realm stuff is in play, I thought the charm and the cowl did pretty much the same thing? I can’t remember off the top of my head but I thought they were both just gave-1 to hit. 

Edit: it gives +1 move as well, nice, i’ll go for that instead 

Edited by Matt Large
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Amradiel said:

Your strongest 1k lists? Go!

Probably something like this: 

Loonboss

Fungoid Shaman - Hand of Gork

Madcap Shaman - The Great Green Spite

60 stabbas

6 Squig Herd

10 Boingrot Bounders

Geminids

Morks Mighty Mushroom

i think at 1k 60 grots would be tough to deal with 

• Like 1

How about chewing through over 100 wounds with decent buffs?

Zarbag - Hand of Gork

Fungoid Cave-Shaman - itchy nucience

7 x Zarbag's Gitz

5 x Loonsmasha Fanatics

60 x Stabbas - Pokin Spears & Moon Shields

20 x Stabbas - Stabbas & Moon Shields

5 x Sporesplatta Fanatics 

All of this is exactly 1000points

On 2/6/2019 at 11:41 AM, CarkFish said:

Just wondering .... Has anyone considered using zarbags gitz as a fanatic bomb? ... 160pts for them and zarbag, they come with an extra fanatic and zarbag gets +2 to casting (normally) .... Thinking of a squig list with zarbags bomb right now :)

You can't hide another unit of 5 fanatics in Zarbags Gitz, as they already host a unit of a single fanatic and the fanatic warscroll states a Moonclan grots unit can not host more than 1 unit of fanatics..(really for zabags 160 points you get 3 units. The hero, the fanatic, and the other Gitz ) 

13 minutes ago, basement dweller said:

Is this strong at 1000?  I play fluffy mostly but i have a buddy who is pretty competitive and would like to have a chance against him...this feels fluffy and if its competitive even better...

I honestly don’t really know.  However, I do feel that a Troll Hag is going to be pretty rough to deal with in a low point game.  The Troggboss can be very nasty as well once you add in a relic (although you can opt to give a relic to the Hag) and command trait.  Trolls are trolls and both types are good depending on what you are trying to do.  Fellwater are more offensive and rockbiter are a bit tougher.

I bet this would do fairly well and it only has 8 models!

10 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

I honestly don’t really know.  However, I do feel that a Troll Hag is going to be pretty rough to deal with in a low point game.  The Troggboss can be very nasty as well once you add in a relic (although you can opt to give a relic to the Hag) and command trait.  Trolls are trolls and both types are good depending on what you are trying to do.  Fellwater are more offensive and rockbiter are a bit tougher.

I bet this would do fairly well and it only has 8 models!

Thank you...i appreciate your thoughts...i'm working on my trolls right now and may give this a go...no matter how it goes having only 8 models seems fun...

10 hours ago, Matt Large said:

Probably something like this: 

Loonboss

Fungoid Shaman - Hand of Gork

Madcap Shaman - The Great Green Spite

60 stabbas

6 Squig Herd

10 Boingrot Bounders

Geminids

Morks Mighty Mushroom

i think at 1k 60 grots would be tough to deal with 

At 1000 points I really like this one 😊