AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

Just now, KalmDown said:

You can also kill your own unit with a truffle overdose from 2+ squads of sneaky snufflers!

Or the Cauldron! Or fleeing Squigs and exploding Manglers haha. 

26 minutes ago, a74xhx said:

Thinking about grot resurrection. Your opponent knows that as soon as he finishes off that unit of 60, another unit of 30 is coming back. In the right situations, an opponent might just stop attacking them when they are down to, say, 3 models. Either retreat or focus on another unit that has piled in.  Safer than risking another 30 grots popping out of the ground.

I dont think it will come up all too often. Battleshock may finish them off, some funky terrain rules, suiciding them with Sneaky Snufflers, Cauldron, Squig Herd and Manglers, charging into combat to finish them off. If you have base locked other models they will be forced to attack you if none of your other units are in range and then if they retreat they cant shoot or charge, concede board space and objectives.

So i think its once in a Blue Moon type of ordeal. 

Thinking of running this: 

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz - Mortal Realm: Ulgu

LEADERS

Loonboss on Mangler Squigs (300)

- General

- Command Trait : Fight Another Day

- Artefact : Doppelganger Cloak

Skragrott, The Loonking (220) 

Troggoth Hag (380)

UNITS

18 x Squig Herd (210)

18 x Squig Herd (210)

10 x Boingrot Bounderz (200)

10 x Boingrot Bounderz (200)

5 x Sneaky Snufflers (70)

6 x Squig Herd (70)

ENDLESS SPELLS

Mork's Mighty Mushroom (80)

Scrapskuttle's Arachnacauldron (50)

Has anyone had any experience with the troll hag since the new tome dropped? She seems like a strong choice with both the cauldron and negative to hit. Could always swap artefacts and give her the charm for even more of that. 

• Like 1

Played my first game since the new rules with a Grot heavy list. 

The fully buffed Death Star of 60 stabbas was awesome. He will definitely pick on the snuffers and sporesplattas first next time. 

The moon refused to leave its corner edge but I did fine without it. I used a fungoid Shaman to make extra command points and he made all his rolls. I tend to spend them like candy anytime my grots might panic . 

So far so good. I really like the book so far. Even with just Grot stuff I feel like I have a bunch of tricks to try out still. 

Edited by Milandro
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Milandro said:

Played my first game since the new rules with a Grot heavy list. 

The fully buffed Death Star of 60 stabbas was awesome. He will definitely pick on the snuffers and sporesplattas first next time. 

The moon refused to leave its corner edge but I did fine without it. I used a fungoid Shaman to make extra command points and he made all his rolls. I tend to spend them like candy anytime my grots might panic . 

So far so good. I really like the book so far. Even with just Grot stuff I feel like I have a bunch of tricks to try out still. 

Good to know that even with all the new stuff they didn't forget classic grots armies and even added a bunch of support to them.

When I first saw the squig/grot split it surprised me. Now I see what an awesome idea it was.

• Like 1

I'm thinking this for a starting point for this army. I haven't actually played AoS more than a single demo type game and this is the first army I'm trying to build. I mostly just want a casual fun army to paint and play, but also maybe have some chance of winning here and there.

This would be a 1000 points list to start with and have ability to expand into bigger lists too.

Leaders

Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig (110)

- General with Dead Shouty as command trait

Madcap Shaman (80)

- Moonface Mommet

- Squig Lure 

Fungoid Cave Shaman (90)

- Itchy Nuisance

Units

12 x Squig Herd (140)

5 x Squig Hoppers (90)

5 x Squig Hoppers (90)

10 x Boingrot Bounderz (200)

10 x Boingrot Bounderz (200)

1000/1000 points

How is this for a starting point? What could (or should?) be changed? The goal is to have a fun squig cavalry based list which can then be turned into a squigalanche battalion at higher point levels

15 minutes ago, Nihti said:

How is this for a starting point? What could (or should?) be changed? The goal is to have a fun squig cavalry based list which can then be turned into a squigalanche battalion at higher point levels

My brain says split the herd into 6x6 and have the hoppers be one unit of 10. Your hoppers will be part of the squig force pushing up while the herds are going to be your objective holders. Worth trying both setups I think.

Looks great as a starting force for a squig based army. You've got all the units there for you to try out and the 20 boingrot who really are the superstars of a squig army.

Whoop! Finally got my much delayed order :D Squigs for days! 

The loonshrine is massive! You could also (hilariously) hide your entire support cast of grot shamans and gobbapalooza inside it's little cave, for whatever purpose. Going to have plenty of fun with this :)

3 hours ago, Epobleepo said:

Has anyone had any experience with the troll hag since the new tome dropped? She seems like a strong choice with both the cauldron and negative to hit. Could always swap artefacts and give her the charm for even more of that. 

Played 2 games vs. Stormcast, she’s nigh unkillable with the charm and D6 Regen, my opponent stopped bothering trying to kill her after a while. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mayple said:

Whoop! Finally got my much delayed order :D Squigs for days! 

The loonshrine is massive! You could also (hilariously) hide your entire support cast of grot shamans and gobbapalooza inside it's little cave, for whatever purpose. Going to have plenty of fun with this :)

If you turn the shrine facing your board edge and shove in a Loonboss he should be safe from most angles as hes blocked from line of sight. Its quite funny haha!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

Unfortunately not, because it says "any".

You can stack it with the Snufflers though.

yeah I must have thought if bloodsecrator could do maybe they could but I believe they may have change bloodsecrator stacking when 2.0 came out.

it had the same wording as command abilities but command abilities are allow to stack since your using resources to activate it

39 minutes ago, novakai said:

yeah I must have thought if bloodsecrator could do maybe they could but I believe they may have change bloodsecrator stacking when 2.0 came out.

it had the same wording as command abilities but command abilities are allow to stack since your using resources to activate it

It'll still be a really cool combo, with the Loonboss Command Ability and maybe even the Bad Moon for rerolls.

I'm thinking of running 60 blocks with Stabbas (not Spears)...you won't get as many in, but the better "To Hit" roll makes up for it a lot of the time, especially if you are trying to roll as many wound rolls as possible to trigger Mortal Wounds.  And even moreso in a world of -1 to Hit debuffs.  

You can also afford to double bang the Snufflers, and take the 2D6 mortal wounds, since the ones at the back aren't getting into combat anyway.

And hey, it's not like we have to pay for our units these days!  We'll get them back for free soon enough :D

You really can put out a surreal number of attacks, hitting on 4s (Rerolling 1s), Wounding on 2s (MW on 6s).  And if you can get a Mommet, a Troggoth Hag or even a Gobbapalooza in there, everything is effectively getting Rend too.  I think of it like the famous quote about Nanotech gone wrong, sweeping forward and turning everything into a grey puddle.

It's a very expensive combo (as well it should be) - but I think it'll prove itself a strong competitive build.

I doubt it would actually be all that good, but I kinda want to drop this on a table just to watch my opponents face as I deploy 200 minis

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz

Leaders
Loonboss (70)
Madcap Shaman (80)
- Lore of the Moonclans: The Great Green Spite

Battleline
60 x Stabbas (360)
- Pokin Spears & Moon Shields
60 x Stabbas (360)
60 x Stabbas (360)

Units
5 x Sporesplatta Fanatics (120)
5 x Loonsmasha Fanatics (140)
5 x Sneaky Snufflers (70)

Battalions
Moonclan Skrap (120)
Skilkmob Horde (160)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 214

Edited by Professor Clio
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

21 minutes ago, Professor Clio said:

I doubt it would actually be all that good, but I kinda want to drop this on a table just to watch my opponents face as I deploy 200 minis

Leaders
Loonboss (70)
Madcap Shaman (80)

Battleline
60 x Stabbas (360)
60 x Stabbas (360)
60 x Stabbas (360)

Units

Battalions
Moonclan Skrap (120)
Skilkmob Horde (160)

Drop the Moonclan Skrap for another shaman (140 spare) trade one of your 5 Loonsmashas for 5 Sporesplatas (160 spare) take Zarbag with Hand of Gork.

• Put Nightshroud on a unit of 60
  • Use Zarbags Sniffer Sprite
  •  Hand of Gork the unit of 60 across the board.
  • Run the other 120 grots (plus zarbags unit) so that they block any form of teleporting with their 9" bubbles over the entire board.
  • Release the Fanatics.
  • Charge with both the Fanatics and Grots.
  • Laugh as your opponent has to wade through 60 grots to even get out of his deployment zone while you score a ****** ton of VPs.
  • LOVE IT! 1

Just finished gluing the final 20 grots and can now finally say that all my preorders and friends are assembled (I still reserve the right to add more to this army)! Just wanted to show them off to reward myself for busting my booty these last two weeks.  

IMG_0540.jpg

• Like 7
  • LOVE IT! 3

4 hours ago, Professor Clio said:

Leaders
Loonboss (70)
Madcap Shaman (80)

Battleline
60 x Stabbas (360)
60 x Stabbas (360)
60 x Stabbas (360)

Units

Battalions
Moonclan Skrap (120)
Skilkmob Horde (160)

I came up with a list very similar but replaced 1 unit of stabbas with 20 shootas, then took 2 spore fanatics and 1 loon fanatics so I could have points for another lion boss and a fungoid shaman.

For the Moonclan Skrap: I am correct in saying there is no such keyword as LOONBOSSES and there is only LOONBOSS? Anyone know if there is an FAQ for this covered in the core rules? or do we need to wait for the 2 week tome FAQ that may or may not fix this. 

Only interested in RAW rulings.

Hey all! I am a bit of a skulking grot around here but sometimes I make an appearance. As my second army to IJ I emptied and sold my wallet for all the squigs one can need. Since I love the FW models I had to have me a gobba and a colossal too and now I am trying to figure out a semi competetive list. 

Has anyone made the comparison between the colossal and the mangler? Even if the colossal is inferior damage wise (I dont know, is it?), I think it may have its uses with the extra dice movement and the squigs that popes out of it when it dies. -1 to hit is also really good. For my starting list I will try not to use the squig batalion because I think the rerolling of movement is not that good. 

About the squigs fleeing from battle shock; if it happens in your turn, you would put out the MW before your opponent has rolled for battle shock, hence making the ability slightly stronger than if the squigs flee in your opponents turn, since then the opponent would have already made his rolls. Right?

About the squig hoppers I  think they have their use when fighting for far away objectives with crippled units or such. Reaching that far away objective with 4D6 (or 3D6+6?) and killing off a model or two that is contesting it without risking losing a squig yourself. I am going to try them in fives for BL req and objevtive grabbing anyway. 

Thanks for a great thread, you guys are really helpful!

49 minutes ago, Skumbaagh said:

Hey all! I am a bit of a skulking grot around here but sometimes I make an appearance. As my second army to IJ I emptied and sold my wallet for all the squigs one can need. Since I love the FW models I had to have me a gobba and a colossal too and now I am trying to figure out a semi competetive list. 

Has anyone made the comparison between the colossal and the mangler? Even if the colossal is inferior damage wise (I dont know, is it?), I think it may have its uses with the extra dice movement and the squigs that popes out of it when it dies. -1 to hit is also really good. For my starting list I will try not to use the squig batalion because I think the rerolling of movement is not that good. 

About the squigs fleeing from battle shock; if it happens in your turn, you would put out the MW before your opponent has rolled for battle shock, hence making the ability slightly stronger than if the squigs flee in your opponents turn, since then the opponent would have already made his rolls. Right?

About the squig hoppers I  think they have their use when fighting for far away objectives with crippled units or such. Reaching that far away objective with 4D6 (or 3D6+6?) and killing off a model or two that is contesting it without risking losing a squig yourself. I am going to try them in fives for BL req and objevtive grabbing anyway. 

Thanks for a great thread, you guys are really helpful!

Hey Skumbaagh!

Lets do a little comparison between a Colossal and a Mangler:

Colossal moves 4d6, has a 5+ save, Bravery 10 and 16 wounds all for 300pts. He has 1 ranged attack at 8" 5+ 5+ Rend - D3 damage. Then 8 attacks with a 3" reach hitting on 2s and 3s Rend 2 D3 damage, 6s to hit are D3 MWs instead, Then 10 attacks 1" range 5s and 3s Rend 1 and just 1 damage. He has a native -1 to hit in close combat and on a 6 when he charges deals 1 MW. When he dies on a 2+ summons 5 Cave Squigs so with that in mind he is really about 270pts so we are looking at a 30pt difference between the 2 monsters. The biggest difference between the 2 is that 1.) The Colossal does not have Fly and 2.) It degrades a lot worse than a Mangler (by a huge amount).

The Mangler moves 3d6, has a 4+ save, Bravery 10 and 12 wounds for 240pts. He has 7 attacks 3s and 3s with a +1 to hit when he charges Rend 2 D3 damage, then 4 attacks 3s and 3s Rend 1 D6 damage, both of these profiles are 2" reach. Finally we have 4 1" range attacks 4s and 4s no Rend and 1 damage. He has Fly and when he dies explodes on a 4+ for every unit within 6" dealing D3 MWs.

So just from those attacks we can calculate the maximum damage each model can do; Colossal at 37 damage dealt (not including the MW from the charge) whilst the Mangler has 49 as its maximum peak damage. Yeah we will never roll that perfect damage sequence but the Mangler already beats it in that field. This is due to the Mangler having more accurate high damage attacks compared to the Colossal (its mainly the feet letting the Colossal down). However it is worth noting that the Colossal has access to D3 MWs per 6 to hit with its 8 Jaw attacks at 3" range, this is quite good at picking off characters behind a screen or just inflicting heavy damage to units that wouldnt be too bothered by its Rend (Ethereal units, Eels, Stormcast).

Now comes the juicy part, the most important part in my eyes between the two is the lack of Fly for the Colossal... Maybe this is because the Warscroll was updated inline with the other Squig units (except Cave Squigs) or it was deliberate not to give it him. But this does affect his movement a lot, he can get trapped behind other units, he might not be able to squeeze through some terrain, he might not be able to leap over an enemy unit to reach a support character or monster you want to have a nibble on. I have found Fly on the Mangler to be amazing, your units and your enemies, terrain, charging it affects all those interactions.

Finally we come to the defensive part of the comparison. The Colossal is ignoring 16% of hits in combat vs the Mangler who is only ignoring 16% more wounds given to him with his 1 higher save. Now the Mangler can loose this 16% benefit if the Rend is high enough (Rend of 3), so i would give the defensive benefits to the Colossal. With 4 Extra wounds as well the Colossal will survive longer than its counterpart and will also spawn 10 wounds worth of a unit that also has 10 attacks 4s and 3s with a Rend of 1.

So with all that in regard i would say that they are both as good as each other, the Colossal is more of a mainline type of Squig, it can last longer in combat, it will hold more things up. The Mangler is a heat seeking missile (or Nuke as people are calling him now), send him towards a unit you want to destroy, if he dies he deals damage, if hes left alive he deals damage but you cant rely on him to last in sustained combat like the Colossal. Now saying that the Colossal still doesnt want to remain in combat as it will degrade but it has the wounds and the -1 to hit to do so.

Its kind of a design choice really, do you like the look of the Colossal? or would you want another Mangler. Ive gone for the Colossal as it looks cool and it will draw attention away from my other lesser Squigs hopping around the board. At the end of the day you cant go wrong with either. Hope that helps! 😉☺️ 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

MW. When he dies on a 2+ summons 5 Cave Squigs

Thx that was the answer I was looking for! 

You missed out on the D3 MW to units within 3 inch on a 2+. Also I fail to understand the wording, isnt it the MW that needs a 2+ roll and that the squigs doesnt require a roll?