AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

3 minutes ago, Congratz said:

I wanna get started by painting up some of my grots now! I really lile the “Pale” green skin colour, but i have no idea how its painted... Does somebody have an idea?

Skarsnik green into Ogryn camo has yielded good pale green results for me :) Reccommended. 

7 minutes ago, Congratz said:

So you base with Skarsnik green? What do you shade with?

Athosian Camoshade and Nuln Oil based on whether I need to tone down the colours or not (if toning down; nuln oil) - but I tend to go a bit crazy with the shades. Throw in some fleshshade/fuegan orange to add variety of colour, or Drakenhoof nightshade/Druuchi violet for the darkest areas (use minimal amounts of this, as they are on the opposite end of the color spectrum, and also much darker, so they'll serve as your "black" without killing your colour) - you can make the model look even paler by highlighting with a non-green colour from there, like ushabti bone or any of the dark elf flesh (pallid wych flesh, flayed one flesh, etc) up to Ceramite white. Although I didn't do this, but it's good to keep in mind :)

Edit; When using any of the non-green shades, except nuln oil, don't use them as a wash. At that point you're looking to apply them to specific areas such as around the mouth, nose, joints, ears, etc.

Edited by Mayple
  • LOVE IT! 2

8 minutes ago, Mayple said:

Athosian Camoshade and Nuln Oil based on whether I need to tone down the colours or not (if toning down; nuln oil) - but I tend to go a bit crazy with the shades. Throw in some fleshshade/fuegan orange to add variety of colour, or Drakenhoof nightshade/Druuchi violet for the darkest areas (use minimal amounts of this, as they are on the opposite end of the color spectrum, and also much darker, so they'll serve as your "black" without killing your colour) - you can make the model look even paler by highlighting with a non-green colour from there, like ushabti bone or any of the dark elf flesh (pallid wych flesh, flayed one flesh, etc) up to Ceramite white. Although I didn't do this, but it's good to keep in mind :)

Edit; When using any of the non-green shades, except nuln oil, don't use them as a wash. At that point you're looking to apply them to specific areas such as around the mouth, nose, joints, ears, etc.

Thank you very much sir :)

So hyped to see the new models... If we get dual kits to make armored goblins I absolutely will take them all, I like them a lot and the guy on the cover is awesome (I guess will be a new warboss).

I purchased a pack with warboss, arachnarok, 40 spear grots, 20 bow grots, 3 fanatics, 15 tiny spiders and 3 spear chuka (that I guess will be out of the army)... So now I have the core of the army I wanna see that centipede and big redheads and trogloths!!

8 hours ago, Malakree said:

Those are going to be some fantastic Grot replacements for a Spiderfang Gloomspite army.

Really hope they release Scuttlings separately at some point...

I agree.  I was previously sort of meh on the Scuttlings coming into AoS as a unit since they are a weird hybrid of Moonclan and Spiderfang.  Moonclan and Spiderfang were both their own very unique, and quite aesthetically different things since they were pretty much just the Night Goblin and Forest Goblins from the Old World of Warhammer.  Where Night Goblins already had a very well developed aesthetic and background and Forest Goblins had a distinct aboriginal/tribal visual theme that had been established but not fully explored since they had been slowly phasing them out over many of the editions (until the Arachnarok made a surprise debut as a kit).

In Age of Sigmar they even gave both the Moonclan and the Spiderfang their own origin stories for GorkaMorka that had very little parallels.  So it seemed like at best these would be allied factions that did not have much relation to each other aside from both being Grots.  However, I will admit that they did give them a bit of common overlap by adding some prominent text about how a lot of Spiderfang live in underground spider-tunnel lairs.  It made sense, but it was definitely new as in the Old World Forest goblins and their giant spiders lived in deep forests, but had little references to being underground.

The Scuttlings make a lot more sense now that it seems that they are making more efforts to mix the two allegiances together.  The new bit about Spiderfang worshipping the Bad Moon as a giant spider egg-cluster is a brilliant little idea that really gives them a way to effectively mix the two without losing their identity.  And given that they also seem to potentially live in close proximity underground it gives them a lot of room to turn the army into an overall underground creatures theme.  I expect that we will probably see a few models that bridge the gap between Moonclan and Spiderfang (like the multi-eyed fungus collector featured on the cover) and that gives them a perfect opportunity to add the Scuttlings into the range.  And even if they don't add the Scuttlings in - they will still work for anyone who chooses to use them in place of other grot infantry.

Edited by Skabnoze
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Congratz said:

Ya all think we will get a new Boss on spider? plastic kit please?

I do think so.  I could be wrong, and he could be one of the few models that they leave in Finecast.  But given that they have said this release is pretty big he would be the only Spiderfang model that is not plastic and it seems like he would be a great candidate for a resculpt and move into plastic.  I am pretty sure that GW wants to remove all of the Finecast range eventually so that they do not have to support resin production outside of Forgeworld.  The Spider Boss would also give them the chance to add some options and possibly make a dual kit.  It also has the potential to allow them to make a named and unnamed option.  This would give them a named character for both Moonclan and Spiderfang - which is probably a really good idea in an allegiance such as this.

But, the kit is also not bad and fits the current Spiderfang Aesthetic so they may decide to keep it for a while longer.

• Like 2

Oh man, a shamanistic culture where all the heroes are Wizards of some kind. I'm so unbelievably stoked for this it's unreal. It doesn't help that the fungoid, my forgeworld shaman (from the job lot) and shadespire warband has given me a colour scheme which I love. Only thing I'm not sold on is the squig hoppers, after my tomb kings the idea with anything thats thin and likely to snap is a big no.

2 hours ago, Mayple said:

you can make the model look even paler by highlighting with a non-green colour from there, like ushabti bone or any of the dark elf flesh (pallid wych flesh, flayed one flesh, etc) up to Ceramite white. Although I didn't do this, but it's good to keep in mind :)

Another thing you can do is rather than highlight with those colors directly, mix them into your greens.  Depending on how you do it this can give you a nice green-flesh look.  If you google around you can find a number of examples of painters doing this and how to go about doing it as a technique.  I think Privateer Press used to have a number of articles of doing this same style of technique except for blue skin for their Trollblood range.  Those same concepts for paint mixing apply - just modify the concept for green rather than blue.

Anyone thinking of converting 40k Poxwalkers into mushroom zombies? I'm really thinking of doing it... maybe as a count as for goblin infantry?

99120102071_ETBPoxWalkers01.jpg.0b0b1653c6935e8cfd95cc1122042ea7.jpg

grotzombies.jpg.d399c3b07ec85a22aee63178ce68071d.jpg

just put some shroom caps on those horns, change some of the weapons to spare grot stabbas or more fantasy themed ones, GS some of the sores and nurgle symbols and ready to go!

It would be very characterful for a more "grimdark" army...

what do you think? ;)

Cheers

AJ

Edited by Antonio Rodrigues
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Hoseman said:

So hyped to see the new models... If we get dual kits to make armored goblins I absolutely will take them all, I like them a lot and the guy on the cover is awesome (I guess will be a new warboss).

I'm not sure that will really be a thing.  I expect that a number of models will have armored bits for visual variety - but I am not sure that we will see "armored grots" as a distinct type of unit in any way.  So far all we have seen on that front is the squig riders that have some various armor bits (which I doubt will have any real game purpose) and the armored squig herder (which I think is simply a visual thing again - to help survive hunting squigs).

Don't get me wrong, I would like armored grots, but it seems like it would clash with the Ard Boyz and Ironjawz and armor will still be something applied sparingly across the grots range (probably just heroes).

1 hour ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Say is it just me having had to much warpstone dust or are you guys also seeing the familiar face of skarsnik in the loonking somewhere🤔?

He definitely seems to be the spiritual successor to Skarsnik.  Skarsnik was always more of an embodiment of everything Night Goblin than a personality (until they made a novel about him) and so I think that since this army is keeping the core concept of Night Goblins and pushing it to 11 in AoS style that the Loon King is the natural result of that.  He is the evolution of what Skarsnik represented pushed into AoS and expanded with the new direction that Gloomspite Gitz represent.

• Like 2