AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

9 minutes ago, GunslingerOy said:

If this is an inappropriate place to post this please chase me away.  2019 goal is to build my first Age of Sigmar army. Pulled between FeC, a Squig heavy Gloomspite list, or a Trogg heavy list. Not looking for top competitive play but I don't want to make a gag army that cannot win.  Looking at the attached as a start. Any super glaring issues that someone new to the game wouldn't notice? Not enough bodies to claim objectives?

Side question: I am getting the squig herd models because they look great but is the point of the herd to sacrifice/tie up units? Value generated from the fleeing mortal wounds? Will squig herds make it into competitive lists?  

SquigList1000.pdf

It is the most appropriate place to post it :) have no fear.

Your list not bad at all. There are things you can do to "optimize" it more. For example the Loonboss with cave squig has no real purpose alongside all those squigs and troggoths, and could easily be replaced by a wizard, giving you more spellpower. Alternatively, swapping that Loonboss with cave squig and Rockguts out would enable you to bring a mangler squig and a 40-point endless spell. 

Not to say that Rockguts aren't good, but its good to know your options.

Overral your list has punch, but no staying power for your own objectives beyond the Rockguts. It might therefore be wise to double down on what the list does well (fast movement, hard punch), by bringing the mangler and taking the fight to the enemy. It will be entertaining for both sides, at the very least, and would quite capable of pulling its weight. Defense through offense would be your rule of thumb for both your original list and the mangler squig alternative.

If you want defense through defense, you'd need grots, and many of them. 

Squig herds are really nice. For 280 points you get 24 bodies on 25mm bases (so they fight in two ranks, which squig hoppers/bounderz can not) with 48 wounds and plenty of solid attacks. They're a viable horde alternative to regular grots, and as tiny cheap minimum units for battleline tax like you've done. Hard to go wrong :)

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I'm still thinking about going to this party, but are Sourbreath Troggoths in the Gloomspite book?  Or just the Fellwater and Rockgut?  I'm a cave person.

You can effectively play the Sourbreath as either type if you have those models.  Otherwise it appears that Sourbreath no longer exist as a troll type.

Okay list revision 2. Same tactics really but with the added Rockguts as a distraction carnifex to support the Herds. Also added the anti-horde Shroom and another Madcap. Overall more wounds, more spellpower, more ranged threat. Plenty of targets and no 'all eggs in one basket' approach. I play 40k Guard so my list building tends to involve multiple redundancies and threat saturation.  I have one more artefact that can be tossed on someone but I dont know who or what. 

Leaders
Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig (110)
- General
- Trait: Dead Shouty 
Webspinner Shaman on Arachnarok Spider (300)
- Artefact: Headdress of Many Eyes 
Madcap Shaman (80)
- Lore of the Moonclans: Itchy Nuisance
Madcap Shaman (80)
- Lore of the Moonclans: Squig Lure

Battleline
18 x Squig Herd (210)
18 x Squig Herd (210)
10 x Squig Hoppers (180)

Units
10 x Boingrot Bounderz (200)
3 x Rockgut Troggoths (160)

Battalions
Squig Rider Stampede (140)

Endless Spells
Scrapskuttle's Arachnacauldron (50)
Mork's Mighty Mushroom (80)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 172

Edited by Malakithe
  • Like 1

@Malakithe I kind of liked your first list better, especially since you could remove 10 hoppers, and swap 6 squig herds over from the other unit to have your battleline covered in exchange for 10 more bounders. 

As for this one, I think 5 less hoppers for any type of shaman will support you quite well. Hand of Gork might be an idea on that one for tactical flexibility. 

Artifact might as well go on your general here. Clammy cowl is a safe pick :)

Edited by Mayple

17 minutes ago, Mayple said:

@Malakithe I kind of liked your first list better, especially since you could remove 10 hoppers, and swap 6 squig herds over from the other unit to have your battleline covered in exchange for 10 more bounders. 

As for this one, I think 5 less hoppers for any type of shaman will support you quite well. Hand of Gork might be an idea on that one for tactical flexibility. 

Artifact might as well go on your general here. Clammy cowl is a safe pick :)

I liked the first one better too just cuz of the big Troggboss. So how would you rearrange my first list? 

Another trial list I just came up with while im bored at work...the grind is real. 200 wounds and 30 points left for another endless spell and extra item to toss on the Loonboss probably.

Leaders
- General
- Lore of the Spiderfangs: Gift of da Spider God
Madcap Shaman (80)
- Lore of the Moonclans: The Hand of Gork

Battleline
24 x Squig Herd (280)
24 x Squig Herd (280)
20 x Stabbas (130)

Units

Battalions

Endless Spells

Total: 1970 / 2000
Wounds: 200

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malakithe said:

I liked the first one better too just cuz of the big Troggboss. So how would you rearrange my first list? 

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz
Mortal Realm: Aqshy
- General
- Moonclan Stabba
- Trait: Tough 'n' Leathery 
- Lore of the Spiderfangs: Curse of da Spider God
Madcap Shaman (80)
Dankhold Troggboss (300)
- Artefact: Thermalrider Cloak 
18 x Squig Herd (210)
12 x Squig Herd (140)
6 x Squig Herd (70)

Wounds: 168

;) I suppose this is your "If I bring a Troggboss" alternative then.  Thermalrider cloak to have him follow the rest of your army, but whatever you prefer works. Very flexible leader, that one.

Edited by Mayple

How’s This look for a combined speedy list with the general of hurt?

Mortal Realm: Ghur
Scuttleboss on Gigantic Spider (100)
- General
- Trait: Monstrous Mount  
- Artefact: The Black Fang  
- Moon-cutta
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm 
- Artefact: Totem of the Spider God  
- Lore of the Spiderfangs: Scuttling Terrors
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
10 x Spider Riders (200)
10 x Spider Riders (200)
5 x Spider Riders (100)
Mangler Squigs (240)
Spider Rider Skittermob (120)

Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 132

Even 2k.  Give units run and charge and sally forth!

• Like 2

So I’m super tempted by an all Squigs army, has anyone played many games with them yet? I always find there’s a bit of a difference between how I think something might perform based on the warscrolls, and how something actually performs. 

I’d love any thoughts on the following list if anyone has any.

Also, just to make sure, the boss on mangler squig can’t be included in the squig rider stampede can it?

Squigs.pdf

2 hours ago, Mayple said:

Mortal Realm: Aqshy
- General
- Moonclan Stabba
- Trait: Tough 'n' Leathery 
- Lore of the Spiderfangs: Curse of da Spider God
Madcap Shaman (80)
Dankhold Troggboss (300)
- Artefact: Thermalrider Cloak 
18 x Squig Herd (210)
12 x Squig Herd (140)
6 x Squig Herd (70)

Wounds: 168

;) I suppose this is your "If I bring a Troggboss" alternative then.  Thermalrider cloak to have him follow the rest of your army, but whatever you prefer works. Very flexible leader, that one.

Ooh I like it! Hmm...I like this one and my second list.  Alright Mr @Mayple which of the two do you think would be more effective overall? 

Holy Gork! It was a not a piece of squigcake to get through all that 70 pages...

But anyway I got some nice ideas from you guys, for some tricks and developing my Moonclan army to a Gloomspite horde.

Someone posted before that it is not possible to change the general after the first one dies. It is possible - it is in the core rules.

1801252713_ScreenShot2019-01-19at11_16_17.png.203431a0685189b417454d59f89c995c.png

Any way time for my excitment:

I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS BATTLETOME 24 YEARS!!!

Night goblins didn't get so much love since the 90s and I am super happy with the book. I hope some novels will follow and Skragrott will get some eternal love like Skarsnik did. Or maybe it will be the tale of Overbounder.

This has been my number one army since I played WFB for the first time in 94-95. I decided to comeback to the hobby more or less during the End Times. I tried to play Moonclan only when AoS dropped but painting hundreds of gitz takes ages. I took a break when Bonesplitterz arrived because the fluff was like from the 90s. Now the Moon shines on da gitz again and it is time to finish the project!

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

24 minutes ago, meet.the.doctor said:

Holy Gork! It was a not a piece of squigcake to get through all that 70 pages...

But anyway I got some nice ideas from you guys, for some tricks and developing my Moonclan army to a Gloomspite horde.

Someone posted before that it is not possible to change the general after the first one dies. It is possible - it is in the core rules.

1801252713_ScreenShot2019-01-19at11_16_17.png.203431a0685189b417454d59f89c995c.png

Any way time for my excitment:

I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS BATTLETOME 24 YEARS!!!

Night goblins didn't get so much love since the 90s and I am super happy with the book. I hope some novels will follow and Skragrott will get some eternal love like Skarsnik did. Or maybe it will be the tale of Overbounder.

This has been my number one army since I played WFB for the first time in 94-95. I decided to comeback to the hobby more or less during the End Times. I tried to play Moonclan only when AoS dropped but painting hundreds of gitz takes ages. I took a break when Bonesplitterz arrived because the fluff was like from the 90s. Now the Moon shines on da gitz again and it is time to finish the project!

The new general is in the core rules but is not allowed during matched play which the majority of people play. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Made another list lol I cant help myself

- Lore of the Spiderfangs: Gift of da Spider God
Madcap Shaman (80)
- Lore of the Moonclans: Itchy Nuisance
- General
- Artefact: The Clammy cowl 
Webspinner Shaman (80)
- Lore of the Spiderfangs: Sneaky Distraction
18 x Squig Herd (210)
12 x Squig Herd (140)
12 x Squig Herd (140)
6 x Rockgut Troggoths (320)
Scuttletide (30)

Wounds: 176

Hi guys

I'm planning on taking gloomspite gitz to throne of skulls in march.

It's not a "competitive" tourney (lol) but, I'd like to be able to hold my own and throw a few surprises around... 

Could I get some thoughts on my list please, artifacts & traits are undecided yet, but advice would be really welcome.

List attached ... Thanks in advance 😀

Grots 2k.pdf

Edited by CarkFish

4 hours ago, meet.the.doctor said:

3 hours ago, Gumbalina said:

The new general is in the core rules but is not allowed during matched play which the majority of people play. 

Yea this rule has been discussed multiple times since AoS 2.0 dropped, and it is one of those "not for matched play" sort of rules (though those are disappearing, like summoning)

I think a problem would arise for strategies involving purposefully getting your general killed and getting a new general with a new trait.

11 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I'm still thinking about going to this party, but are Sourbreath Troggoths in the Gloomspite book?  Or just the Fellwater and Rockgut?  I'm a cave person.

Don't worry, everything in the book was retconned to live in caves, or at least similar dark, damp, dank environments:).  

20 minutes ago, kenshin620 said:

Yea this rule has been discussed multiple times since AoS 2.0 dropped, and it is one of those "not for matched play" sort of rules (though those are disappearing, like summoning)

I think a problem would arise for strategies involving purposefully getting your general killed and getting a new general with a new trait.

Thanks. I am ignorant when comes to GHB- stopped buying it after 2017. I thought that if something is in the core shouldn't be nullified by GHB (At least in AoS2). GHB1 used to be patch for AoS1. I thought times have changed. Thanks for claryfiing.

Another thing came to my mind:

Bad Moon Loonshrine lets us reinforce destroyed MCG unit "at the end of EACH of your turns". Does it mean that if they get annihilated on turn 2, I can try to summon them at the end of turn 2 and if I fail 4+, try again at the end of turn 3 and so on until I have a success?

21 minutes ago, Nos said:

Shaman on Spider is showing up on most lists even without other spiders. Am I missing something in respect to his utility with Moonclan? He seems to be all about the spider buffs.

He's fast, durable when given the helm of many eyes and the curse of the spider god spell is utterly amazing