AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

Hey guys, I was wondering if someone would be so kind as to post the dimensions of a giant cave squig, in particular the boss on one. I have a counts-as conversion Id like to get cracking on, but I’d like the model as accurate as possible. 

40 minutes ago, Mayple said:

Troggboss, equipped with ghyrstrike, while doing no damage to the enemy by being locked in combat with a thunderhost ethereal engine of the gods for three rounds, did prove his tenacity by refusing to die to anything that was thrown at him. I'll continue experimenting with him.

To be fair Ethereal+reroll saves is pretty horrific for everything, especially with the healing to counter his incidental MW output.

That amulet is the reason I'm going to be taking Skragrott+Cauldron in basically every list I make, the ability to remove it is to important. I did a club tournament and over the entire day I was the only person who killed a VLoZD with it because I had gildenbane on my Maw-Krusha who then just stomped it with no trouble.

• Like 3

So has anyone tried the max unit of stabbas in range of 4 units of snuffler squigs and a unit of spore splatter fanatics plus the loonshrine? 

The unit takes 6D6 mortal wounds but any survivors (who didn't overdose on mushrooms!!!) are packing an extra 5 attacks each. That's 9 netters with 8 attacks each and any surviving stabbas with 6 attacks each. Throw in a command of 'Im the boss, now stab em good' and every unmodified wound roll of a 6 is a mortal wound and you have a surprising amount of damage output. Then you just recycle the unit to 30 and go again.

You could also really push the number of attacks with more sneaky snuffler units but 2D6 mortal wounds per unit buff after the first adds up fast. Although, it would be funny to see 60 night gobbos overdosing on mushrooms all at once.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Malakree said:

To be fair Ethereal+reroll saves is pretty horrific for everything, especially with the healing to counter his incidental MW output.

That amulet is the reason I'm going to be taking Skragrott+Cauldron in basically every list I make, the ability to remove it is to important. I did a club tournament and over the entire day I was the only person who killed a VLoZD with it because I had gildenbane on my Maw-Krusha who then just stomped it with no trouble.

I think the endless spells look awesome and will add more depth when playing the army.

Can you go over how the cauldron works?

Checking the warscroll : The caster and the Arachnacauldron are treated as single models from the army that uses the casters warscroll as well as the endless spells rules.

I am a little confused. Does the cauldron allow you to cast more spells? Due to the cauldron using the casters warscroll, which in Skragrotts case he can cast two spells.

Just received Skragrott in the post today, model built and primed for painting.

cheers.

1 hour ago, Malakree said:

Yeah. That's why I'm cutting the Troggboss a break, because to his defense, he made a total 11 succesfull attack rolls, which would decimate anything else around.

Was considering running Gildenbane on my Loonboss on Cave Squig for that reason :) lore-wise my army is from Chamon anyway, so I'm more than happy to have an excuse to use artifacts from that. 

Edited by Mayple
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Nickmoss90 said:

I think the endless spells look awesome and will add more depth when playing the army.

Can you go over how the cauldron works?

Checking the warscroll : The caster and the Arachnacauldron are treated as single models from the army that uses the casters warscroll as well as the endless spells rules.

I am a little confused. Does the cauldron allow you to cast more spells? Due to the cauldron using the casters warscroll, which in Skragrotts case he can cast two spells.

Just received Skragrott in the post today, model built and primed for painting.

cheers.

So they are two models treated as a single one with all the rules from both warscrolls.

So Skragrott can cast 2 spells, gets +1 from his Loonkings Crown and +1 from the Cauldron giving him +2 to cast native. He also gets +1 to cast if he's under the Light of the Bad Moon putting him at +3. On a 10+ to cast his spell it can be used to remove an artefact from an opposing hero in range. So if you're under the Bad Moon you can delete an artefact from a hero (and deal D3 mortals to them) on a 7+ or a 6+ with Arcane.

Moreover he gets a 4++ save against the Cauldron if it deals D3 mortals to him.

It's currently one of the best answers to the Ethereal amulet that exists.

21 minutes ago, Mayple said:

Was considering running Gildenbane on my Loonboss on Cave Squig for that reason :) lore-wise my army is from Chamon anyway, so I'm more than happy to have an excuse to use artifacts from that. 

It is a great artefact imo, problem is Ironjawz struggle to fit it in even if you get 2 artefacts. I think after the doppleganger change I'll be swapping to Ironclad+Daubing of Mork on one and Gildenbane on the other.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, JonnyTheKing said:

What unit size do you think would be suitable for them now then?

I'm having difficulty determining that. 3x10, 2x15, 1x15, or 3x5 are the different variations I bounce between. Essentially 300 or 600 points. Less feels weak, more feels wasteful. Finding the ideal unit size in general and within those parameters is really hard :o

Edited by Mayple

3 minutes ago, Mayple said:

I'm having difficulty determining that. 3x10, 2x15, 1x15, or 3x5 are the different variations I bounce between. Essentially 300 or 600 points. Less feels weak, more feels wasteful. Finding the ideal unit size in general and within those parameters is really hard :o

Yeah definitely feel that, I’m thinking 2 x 15 with a unit of 10 hoppers in the battalion or 3x10 Bounderz in the battalion 

2 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

I think it is interesting to note that Zarbag has the Madcap Shaman keyword - that means he can take the artifacts and anything else that is restricted to them.  Not a huge thing, but something to note.

He's unique so he's not allowed to.

• Thanks 1

Adding some edge to the previously mentioned Troggboss approach. Very much a hammer and anvil approach, where the deceptively tanky and punchy Troggoth party is chilling with the infantry (just behind the lines) while the Squig cavalry looks for a weak flank to break, or waits for an opportunity to counter charge.

By far the least models I'd ever field, but maybe that's the trap I've been running into. Sometimes numbers can be traded for efficiency. The loss of fanatics does make me sad, but I'd never risk those in a unit of 20. 

Thoughts?

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz
Mortal Realm: Chamon

Leaders
Dankhold Troggboss (300)
- General
- Trait: Tough as Rocks 
- Artefact: Glowy Howzit 
Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig (110)
- Moonclan Stabba
- Artefact: Gildenbane 
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Lore of the Moonclans: The Hand of Gork
Madcap Shaman (80)
- Lore of the Moonclans: Squig Lure

Battleline
20 x Stabbas (130)
- Stabbas & Moon Shields
- 3x Barbed Nets
- 1x Badmoon Icon Bearers
3 x Fellwater Troggoths (160)
20 x Shootas (130)
- 3x Barbed Nets
- 1x Badmoon Icon Bearers

Units
15 x Boingrot Bounderz (300)

Behemoths
Mangler Squigs (240)

Battalions
Squig Rider Stampede (140)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 150

So heres my list. I know maybe is not competitive but I like it and I'm following the rule of coolness:

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz

Leaders
Webspinner Shaman on Arachnarok Spider (300)
- General
Skragrott, The Loonking (220)
Loonboss with Giant Cave Squig(100)
Loonboss on Mangler Squigs (300)

Battleline
20 x Stabbas (130)
- Pokin Spears & Moon Shields
20 x Stabbas (130)
- Pokin Spears & Moon Shields
15 x Spider Riders (300)

Units
1 x Dankhold Troggoths (220)
3 x Rockgut Troggoths (160)
5 x Loonsmasha Fanatics (140)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 135

@Mayple Personally I'd drop the manglers for another 40 stabbas, that unit of 60 is just so damn good at everything. Then split the Boigrots into 10x10x10 to let you be more flexible with the power and harder for your opponent to tie down in combat.

This is a Mangler (on the charge) vs 10 Boingrots (on the charge) and yes I realise I'm STILL being biased against Manglers.

graph.php?q=r:335:4:d6:m002;r:236:7:d3:mgraph.php?q=b:0.5:10:1:0;r:435:40:1:m002

I suspect this is more a case of the Boingrot bounders being the real standout unit of the book. It's such a great allrounder when combined with the Loonboss on Cave Squig/Squig Rider Stampede at a fantastic price.

Leaders
Loonboss on Mangler Squigs (300)
Loonboss with Giant Cave Squig (100)
Zarbag (160)

Battleline
20 x Stabbas/Shootas (130)

Units
7 x Zarbag's Gitz (0)

Battalions
Squig Rider Stampede (140)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 180

Such a horrific list to try and deal with. If you can get 3 Boingrots, one from each unit to charge within 1" of something you average 22.5 mortals onto it. Yes the Loonboss on Mangler is here, I'm not arguing against it for theme lists, I think we can all agree that for Theme lists the Themeboss becomes amazing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Greenz said:

Hey guys, I was wondering if someone would be so kind as to post the dimensions of a giant cave squig, in particular the boss on one. I have a counts-as conversion Id like to get cracking on, but I’d like the model as accurate as possible. 

Don’t know exact size, but the Forgeworld one looks a fair bit bigger than a normal Squig Hopper if that is what you are looking at. Official base size from the FAQ is 50mm.

If you don’t mind it not being a Giant Squig, one conversion possibility would be two normal squigs pulling a small ramshackle chariot with the Loonboss on it.

1 hour ago, dirkdragonslayer said:

Don’t know exact size, but the Forgeworld one looks a fair bit bigger than a normal Squig Hopper if that is what you are looking at. Official base size from the FAQ is 50mm.

If you don’t mind it not being a Giant Squig, one conversion possibility would be two normal squigs pulling a small ramshackle chariot with the Loonboss on it.

So just to clarify - the FW one is a Colossal Squig.  Totally different beast and doesn't come with a rider option.  Way, way bigger.  Standalone monster.

The one in the Battletome is the old Finecast model, available Webstore Exclusive from GW.  Still comes on a square base. 

I don't actually own one, but they aren't that much bigger than one of the new plastic squigs (certainly a lot closer in size to them than they are to a Colossal):

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Grot-Warboss-on-Great-Cave-Squig

So I've got a quick question,
If i were to model a Loonbos on a Mangler, but use only one of the manglers in the box, would it be seen as modeling for advanatge or something?
(i've never actually played AoS yet but i think Gloomspite will tip the scales after about a year of 'too many good minis not enough money to have em all' ;D)

So just to clarify - the FW one is a Colossal Squig.  Totally different beast and doesn't come with a rider option.  Way, way bigger.  Standalone monster.

The one in the Battletome is the old Finecast model, available Webstore Exclusive from GW.  Still comes on a square base. 

I don't actually own one, but they aren't that much bigger than one of the new plastic squigs (certainly a lot closer in size to them than they are to a Colossal):

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Grot-Warboss-on-Great-Cave-Squig

Actually there is a Gaint Cave Squig form FW:
https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-PL/Night-Goblin-Command-Set

Edited by Varred

9 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

Forgeworld makes a boss on Giant Squig.  He comes in the command set:

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Night-Goblin-Command-Set

In the picture that is a 40mm square base he is on - since that was the base size for Warhammer Fantasy.  The current base size listed for this guy is 50mm - so I don't think the exact size of the squig matters that much as long as it fits onto that base.

I can measure him when I get home, but the giant squig is roughly about an inch in diameter for the body.

Edited by Skabnoze
  • Like 2

Awesome, thanks for the replies!  The pic from the FW command set gives me a good comparison to go by. 

Im redoing all my old gobbos in an ice cave theme (my old “Bad Moo” Holstein theme is out the window now that Orcs and Gobbos are split). I want my boss being dragged on a sled by 8 squigs in a big, messy pile running over each other. But I don’t want it much bigger than the true giant squig

2 minutes ago, Greenz said:

I want my boss being dragged on a sled by 8 squigs in a big, messy pile running over each other. But I don’t want it much bigger than the true giant squig

Really cool idea, but that will probably be tough to fit on a 50mm round base.  You might consider using that project idea to represent something a bit larger.

Edited by Skabnoze

3 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

That reminds me that I need to pick up that command set.  It is one of the few Night Goblin models that I have never purchased.  I should snag it from Forgeworld before they discontinue it and force me to rummage around ebay.

I was just checking it out,,had it for a year now but havent built it yet.I had forgotten that it comes with a Nightgoblin Shaman in a really cool pose:)