AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

Moonclan Srap!

-Single drop

- 3 Artifacts

-3 CPs to start the gamee.at least!

-12 units,170 wounds total

-Several tricksy options since the fanatics dont need to be designated to units until settup..example..place unit with 20 stabbas then Jump em into postiion for Ball slamming hit on a target of opportunity,,,they all die turn  1or 2,,dont pay a cp for inspiring,and start rolling to bring em back,,the whole unit.

-Solid block of Stabbas with nearly full support with potentially mutliple sources of boosting the number of attacks they make.

-Solid Magic options ,could even enhance this by switching out the Loonboss w/squig to a basic Loonboss,then add in the cauldron.

-Best of all for me!,,,I only need to assemble and paint another 33 models to complete this:)

Anyhow,,ive been playing a single drop build with my Bonesplitters for the past few months with a pretty good success rate,,cant wait to see how it works here with these guys!

WarscrollBuilderList (1).pdf

Probably too early to tell at this point, but are there any standout battalions that people are seeing so far? Skulkmob seems great, just because "more free stuff" is always good, but I'm not sure that it's worth the "tax" of 3 units of fanatics.

Also, any "must buys" from the new releases? 

I think I'm only leaning towards getting the Loonshrine and Skragrott for now, and working with my old moonclan models, but I'd hate to miss out on anything that's "too good".

10 minutes ago, ajax_xaja said:

Probably too early to tell at this point, but are there any standout battalions that people are seeing so far? Skulkmob seems great, just because "more free stuff" is always good, but I'm not sure that it's worth the "tax" of 3 units of fanatics.

I think I'm only leaning towards getting the Loonshrine and Skragrott for now, and working with my old moonclan models, but I'd hate to miss out on anything that's "too good".

The "Tax" is a bit steep in points,,but its  easy to underestimate the potential of fanatics.Having used them with their previous rules I was never let down by them.Though now they did loose their counter charge ability(when coming out on defence)though they still have a ton of utility and power,expecially now with the new command point system coupled with an army that has a fair chance of being flush with CPs to use,,as in rerolling a 6" charge.Other things to consider is that now they auto fight first,so double turn situations can be devistating.Also the deployment flexibility of designating them to your units when you set up the units.

Sporesplattas may or may not be a thing,,have to see how they work out.At first glance they appear to be a prime early target for the opponents shooting and may need a shamans spell to protect them with that -1 TH..

21 minutes ago, Thostos said:

The "Tax" is a bit steep in points,,but its  easy to underestimate the potential of fanatics.Having used them with their previous rules I was never let down by them.Though now they did loose their counter charge ability(when coming out on defence)though they still have a ton of utility and power,expecially now with the new command point system coupled with an army that has a fair chance of being flush with CPs to use,,as in rerolling a 6" charge.Other things to consider is that now they auto fight first,so double turn situations can be devistating.Also the deployment flexibility of designating them to your units when you set up the units.

Sporesplattas may or may not be a thing,,have to see how they work out.At first glance they appear to be a prime early target for the opponents shooting and may need a shamans spell to protect them with that -1 TH..

Really excited to try to the new fanatic rules, especially always attacking first, which IMO is well worth the loss of the counter-charge!  Problem I had with the old version is that they were great at disrupting a change but rarely got attacks off. 

I'm not sure this is accurate, "deployment flexibility of designating them to your units when you set up the units."   I just read the rules and they say, "When you select this unit to be a part of your army, you must pick 1 friendly unit..."  Sounds like a pre-deployment choice to me.  

Not sure about the Sporesplattas in the current low shooting meta, but I could see they'd be great to screen heros from spells at least.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DrDemento said:

Really excited to try to the new fanatic rules, especially always attacking first, which IMO is well worth the loss of the counter-charge!  Problem I had with the old version is that they were great at disrupting a change but rarely got attacks off. 

I'm not sure this is accurate, "deployment flexibility of designating them to your units when you set up the units."   I just read the rules and they say, "When you select this unit to be a part of your army, you must pick 1 friendly unit..."  Sounds like a pre-deployment choice to me.  

Not sure about the Sporesplattas in the current low shooting meta, but I could see they'd be great to screen heros from spells at least.

sporesplattas also work vs somes spells and hero phase gimmicks that require LoS

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ajax_xaja said:

I'm in the same boat with tons of old moonclan, squigs, trolls, gargants and spiders to try out the new rules with before committing to buying new units. 

I'm pretty sure the new bounders are a better buy than the old hoppers for their relative points differences  - 100 vs. 90 pts for a 4+ vs. 6+ save, +1 bravery, and +1 and much better attacks, for a movement tradeoff of 2d6" vs. 3d6".   Seems fairly obvious to me that the message is, "You can use your old hoppers but the new ones are what you should be using and buying."  If the points spread was more like 100 vs. 70 I think there would be a more difficult decision (i.e., 15 hoppers vs. 10 bounderz for your 200 points)

Loonsrhine and endless spells were my must buys so far.

Sneaky Snufflers seem like they could be a near auto-buy among the new stuff given their +1 attack buff that affects all moonclan (grots and squigs), at 70 points.  Then might consider a sporesplatta screen, and especially if going with two units of sneaky snufflers.

1 hour ago, Thostos said:

I thought they they were partly meant to be an early target for your opponent - hence the rule to block line-of-sight to units behind them?

37 minutes ago, DrDemento said:

Yeah,,how they are deployed  is a bit ambiquous,,it certainly happens pre deployement but not sure how TO`s will call it..as to require them be assigned to a certain unit as part of the army list when the list is created or just prior to deployment.I mention this because at many events,players are required to have their army lists documented ,and copies available for their opponents prior to the start of the match,,,having the units with the fanatics designated to them would be lame and ruin the surprise element.

I think the wording in the warscroll is mainly meant to force you to hide them in a unit of grots and to not be able to just field them in units on their own.  

Their fluff has them being carried into battle and hurled at the enemy by the grots in a unit.  At least, that was the old fluff.  I am still waiting for GW to deliver my book (hopefully tomorrow) so I have not seen if they changed it.  I can’t imagine why they would change that background though.

They used to be tripping too hard on psychedelic madcap mushroom beer to know much of anything going on around them and the other grots would bodily carry and restrain them.

1 hour ago, Thostos said:

Yeah,,how they are deployed  is a bit ambiquous,,it certainly happens pre deployement but not sure how TO`s will call it..as to require them be assigned to a certain unit as part of the army list when the list is created or just prior to deployment.I mention this because at many events,players are required to have their army lists documented ,and copies available for their opponents prior to the start of the match,,,having the units with the fanatics designated to them would be lame and ruin the surprise element.

Great point!  Sounds like a FAQ worthy issue.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Mr.Pengwinn said:

Has anyone had a chance to build Skragrott yet? If so how easy do you thing it'd be to swap out his head? I don't like using named characters normally, but he seems pretty tempting. Just not sure how easy or hard it'd be to convert him a bit.

you can see the sprue on the store. the face/hood are a bit, the crown has left/right bits, and the body has the back of the head. not a super straight forward swap, and it would be a shame to butcher such a great model!

So im just checking to make sure i understand how the bad moon works

so you pick a corner where it starts and on turn 2 roll a dice, on a 1 it will stay where it is and do nothing, on a 2-5 if moves one step into the center of the corner you picked and  affects units in that quarter and on a 6 it moves twice to the centre of the table. 

When its in the center can you pick a new direction for it to go? or will it continue going along the line you set it when you chose the original quarter? and is the only way for it to leave the table to roll a 6 when its in the middle?

My brain hurts, but I think I'm starting to hit something that sticks. 

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz
Mortal Realm: Hysh
Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig (110)
- General
- Moon-cutta
- Trait: Dead Shouty 
- Artefact: The Clammy cowl 
Loonboss on Mangler Squigs (300)
- Artefact: Guardan's Coronet 
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Lore of the Moonclans: Squig Lure
40 x Stabbas (260)
- Stabbas & Moon Shields
- 6x Barbed Nets
- 1x Moonclan Flag Bearers
- 2x Badmoon Icon Bearers
24 x Squig Herd (280)
24 x Squig Herd (280)
5 x Squig Hoppers (90)
15 x Boingrot Bounderz (300)
5 x Loonsmasha Fanatics (140)
Squig Rider Stampede (140) (Hoppers and Bounderz)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 203

Thoughts? 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Drizug said:

Yeah this looks good. I guess we will need to wait for an official faq then..

Planning  on using the tiny grot boss with ”giant” cave squig from battle for skull pass. Would look hilarious with him on a really big base filled with mushrooms...

• Like 1