AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

3 hours ago, FPC said:

If you’re going very Squig heavy, I’d think yes. Every extra unit of Bounders/Hoppers/Herd magnifies his return on investment. Just himself and a small number of Squigs might not be the best points investment. But in a Squig army a Mangler boss seems pretty strong/maybe borderline necessary.

I'm not sure I would say necessary (unless he is needed for a battalion).  The odds are that he won't live long enough to give you more than a single good turn with that ability.  It is a strong ability, especially with a fair amount of Bounders (probably the best recipient of that buff), but Manglers of all types are effectively a grenade you hurl into the enemy lines.  You are not going to keep this guy back much, and he is not the most durable thing around.

5 hours ago, Malakree said:

Because the rule for them requires you roll equal or less than the number of models in the unit to get the +1 attack hence you need 6 to guarantee you get the buff.

If anything I suspect it's the unit size of 5 which is a mistake.

Yeah, I would not be surprised to see that change immediately when they drop the errata for this book.

6 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

I'm not sure I would say necessary (unless he is needed for a battalion).  The odds are that he won't live long enough to give you more than a single good turn with that ability.  It is a strong ability, especially with a fair amount of Bounders (probably the best recipient of that buff), but Manglers of all types are effectively a grenade you hurl into the enemy lines.  You are not going to keep this guy back much, and he is not the most durable thing around.

Yea that’s why I said borderline necessary. If you are going for a straight up alpha strike that is meant to cripple the enemy I think he is close to an auto include.  Otherwise a good unit but not critical. The hit and run trait can help him survive a bit longer, too.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JonnyTheKing said:

so much list building, struggling to get my head around what to buy/use, I feel that there are  a lot of solid directions you can go with this army. Struggling between whether to go loads of stabbas supported by heroes and some troggoths or to go mostly pure squigs

Just pick your fave one brah and start going with it. I hear a lot that the best lists will be mixed lists so your don’t have to deny yourself everything. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JonnyTheKing said:

so much list building, struggling to get my head around what to buy/use, I feel that there are  a lot of solid directions you can go with this army. Struggling between whether to go loads of stabbas supported by heroes and some troggoths or to go mostly pure squigs

Two choices on how to build a Gloomspite army.

1. Get a bunch of Grots, start adding stuff onto the grots till you find something you like then go with that.
  2. Pick a theme and build around the theme, then get some grots and add them on till you can hit option 1 for the others.

Seriously 60 Stabbas, other than that imo everything is usable. The 60 stabbas are the core of the Gloomspite force.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Malakree said:

1. Get a bunch of Grots, start adding stuff onto the grots till you find something you like then go with that.
  2. Pick a theme and build around the theme, then get some grots and add them on till you can hit option 1 for the others.

Seriously 60 Stabbas, other than that imo everything is usable. The 60 stabbas are the core of the Gloomspite force.

Do you think always taking a fungoid cave-shaman is a good tactic? Provides a bit of protection against magic, nets an extra command point half the time which seems important for an army like this and can take a beneficial spell for other units

It a good thing I already have 60 stabbas because Geez they are sold out like crazy both online and locally where I am at.

look like I am going squig heavy for the mean time

also apparently the Plastic Madcap is No Longer Available on the US store, So RIP GitMob

3 hours ago, Antonio Rodrigues said:

Thanks, ChaosMonkeyBoy! I thought the cauldron base was a round one...

BTW, any chance you could give me the rough measures of the Scuttletide  endless spell? The one with the spiders? Im planning to do it as a line of grot “knights” on a shieldwall formation, as it will be more in line with my converted army... not a big fan of the spiders... 😉👍

thanks again!

AJ

Spider base is about 197mmX47mm. The directions don't show the bases, so I'm going by the picture on the site:

99120209061_EndlessSpellsGloomspiteGitz0

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Malakree said:

3.  Buy lots of everything

8 hours ago, ViscidFlux said:

Has anyone used the Squig dice? 

My first impression when I saw them was that there must be a weight issue with all the texture and sculpting going on, plus rubber has different properties than plastic. 

Since I'm doing a Squig army, though, I feel like it's my duty to have them (Gork knows the staff at my nearest GW were trying to sell me them).  I just find it hard to believe they could be tournament legal.

7 hours ago, Gumbalina said:

I'm probably going to buy a box and use them purely for squig random movement rolls.    What does everyone think about using a big unit of fellwater trolls mixed into a squig army? Gives a good target to hand across the board while hoppers and boingrots are in the front line?

Even using them sparingly (which is what I did when I played with mine), they wear out very quickly. I would say roll them 10 times, into a cardboard box, and there is noticable wear.  roll them 100 times and they are probably unreadable.  Using them as wound counters, they will probably still wear out before very long. 

It is possible I received a bad batch, but I doubt it. I just don't think the dice were a well designed product. 

Before anyone says they are just meant as novelty - If you pay $30USD for something labeled "dice", you should expect to be able to use them as "dice" for more than 1 day without them being destroyed. 

Took them back to my flgs and got me some real squigs instead. (kudos to my flgs for letting me return that garbage)

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Drizug said:

Does anyone know what base size am I supposed to use for the Loonboss with giant cave Squig (the old Skarsnik model)?

I read somewhere 40mm base but would like a confirmation if you know. Thanks!

Um there's no way the model fits on a 40mm base.   No one knows the official base size as it's never been published and the webstore doesn't specify a base size. 

We will have to wait until GW adds it to the official base size doc. Hopefully in a couple of weeks with the battletome FAQ. 

2 minutes ago, Mayple said:

Really looking forward to getting my Bounderz! They're so cool! 

Ive made sure to make all my goblin riders to have unique weapons, one has a kitchen fork, another a stolen wizards wand. Ive built all 30 of my squig riders to have armoured heads and the best part about the kit is that all the lges fit all the bodies so you can mix and match. Ive got a few with no base connecting parts and just made my own connectors, the ive used ones with both legs that connect to the base and just cleared away the sections where one of the feet is connected to the terrain. Gives them such amazing poses, much better than the stock angles. 

Sadly the squig herd cant mix and match, only there faces can swap about. Oh also any rider can go on any squig! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

Ive made sure to make all my goblin riders to have unique weapons, one has a kitchen fork, another a stolen wizards wand. Ive built all 30 of my squig riders to have armoured heads and the best part about the kit is that all the lges fit all the bodies so you can mix and match. Ive got a few with no base connecting parts and just made my own connectors, the ive used ones with both legs that connect to the base and just cleared away the sections where one of the feet is connected to the terrain. Gives them such amazing poses, much better than the stock angles. 

Sadly the squig herd cant mix and match, only there faces can swap about. Oh also any rider can go on any squig! 

How are the regular squig size compared to the hopper squigs? 

6 minutes ago, sorokyl said:

Um there's no way the model fits on a 40mm base.   No one knows the official base size as it's never been published and the webstore doesn't specify a base size. 

We will have to wait until GW adds it to the official base size doc. Hopefully in a couple of weeks with the battletome FAQ. 

The only reason I said 40mm is because the community team replied on Facebook to someone asking it.  (See below sorry for the bad quality) . Seems small to me as well..

20190114_230114.jpg

Edited by Drizug