AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

I wonder if this has come up yet :

- take a unit of 20x stabbas

- hand of gork unit across board 9" from enemy

- in the charge phase, deploy the 15x cunningly hidden fanatics within 3" of the stabba unit,  but 6" away from enemy

- make charge roll on 6+

hopefully crash in to as many juicy bits as possible and possibly shake hands

Edited by Nikobot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Old time WHFB returning to play AoS here, still learning a lot in the way the game plays now, especially with list building. Right now I want to keep a focus on Moonclan but still want to branch out into the other minor themes (Squigs, Troggoths, Spiderfangs) as their models look way too cool not to use! However going through the rulebook it seems  that a lot of those models rely heavily on synergy between each other to really get going? Which of the models from these themes could you slot into a Moonclan focused list that work well on their own or supplement the grots well? 

To follow up, I've read through the discussion about Dankhold vs Mangler, and I'm wondering with the same restriction that I am focusing on Moonclan, which of these BIG boy models are the go tos to take for combat punch? Do I go for the generic unit type or the hero type?

4 hours ago, dirkdragonslayer said:

Hola muchachos, acabo de recibir mi caja de Squig Hopper / Knight y planeo construirlos como Caballeros. No preguntar por tácticas ni nada, pero ...

¿Cuáles son algunos buenos nombres de orden de Grot Knightly?

¿Orda de palo puntiagudo?

Caballeros de la Luna Mala?

Defendas de da Eight Peaks?

Tal vez alguien bueno con juegos de palabras puede pensar en uno.

Edit: También estos brazos de espada de repuesto de la mitad de Hopper parecen ser excelentes para agregar diversidad a las turbas de Stabbas con Stabbas. ¡O usa las cabezas de caballero de repuesto y las armas de la tolva para convertir a los Gobbos del Cuenco de sangre en caballeros de pie!

Are you going to put spear or weapon body by body? And, Why?

53 minutes ago, bearstronaut said:

Old time WHFB returning to play AoS here, still learning a lot in the way the game plays now, especially with list building. Right now I want to keep a focus on Moonclan but still want to branch out into the other minor themes (Squigs, Troggoths, Spiderfangs) as their models look way too cool not to use! However going through the rulebook it seems  that a lot of those models rely heavily on synergy between each other to really get going? Which of the models from these themes could you slot into a Moonclan focused list that work well on their own or supplement the grots well? 

There is the option to build a ton of synergy but each of the elements has things which are just good in them. Couple of examples.

Boingrot Bounderz are just great for adding some punch to a grot list. 

Fellwater troggoths are amazing when combined with netters putting your opponent at -2 to hit them in melee.

Webspinner on arachnarok gives you a large beefy wizard with access to the spiderfang lore.

1 hour ago, bearstronaut said:

To follow up, I've read through the discussion about Dankhold vs Mangler, and I'm wondering with the same restriction that I am focusing on Moonclan, which of these BIG boy models are the go tos to take for combat punch? Do I go for the generic unit type or the hero type?

Unless you are giving them an artefact take the generic types. The points increases to leaders are to high outside of using them for their synergies.

It also how many points you want to invest and what exactly you are after. The mangler is a combat monster with no utility outside of that while the dankhold is a bravery buff which a much more technical toolkit. Lastly each of the arachnarok spiders brings something slightly different to the army.

All of them are solid options.

Hi everyone !

Just a quick and not very important question. Is the unit number for the sneaky snufflers a mistake? Because they come in 6 but seems to be played as a 5 number unit, which is quite unusual regarding GW standards...

Thank you ;)

Edited by Ghark

5 minutes ago, Ghark said:

Hi everyone !

Just a quick and not very important question. Is the unit number for the sneaky snufflers a mistake? Because they come in 6 but seems to be played as a 5 number unit, which is quite unusual regarding GW standards...

Thank you ;)

You play them as 5. No one knows why GW put 6 in the box.

6 minutes ago, Eevika said:

You play them as 5. No one knows why GW put 6 in the box.

Because the rule for them requires you roll equal or less than the number of models in the unit to get the +1 attack hence you need 6 to guarantee you get the buff.

If anything I suspect it's the unit size of 5 which is a mistake.

1 minute ago, Malakree said:

Because the rule for them requires you roll equal or less than the number of models in the unit to get the +1 attack hence you need 6 to guarantee you get the buff.

If anything I suspect it's the unit size of 5 which is a mistake.

I dont think a mistake like that would get into the book and all the list builders with out someone questioning the 6 in the box thing.

7 hours ago, dirkdragonslayer said:

Or use the spare knight heads and Hopper weapons to convert Blood Bowl Gobbos into foot knights!

I'd completely forgotten about the Bloodbowl Gobbos! They're just what I need. Sweet :)

Also, I was just on the Warscroll Builder on the Community site, and I noticed that they've got Squig Hoppers listed as 80pts, not 90pts. Fairly certain that's a mistake, as much as I'd like cheaper hoppers :P

10 minutes ago, ViscidFlux said:

I'd completely forgotten about the Bloodbowl Gobbos! They're just what I need. Sweet :)

Also, I was just on the Warscroll Builder on the Community site, and I noticed that they've got Squig Hoppers listed as 80pts, not 90pts. Fairly certain that's a mistake, as much as I'd like cheaper hoppers :P

Given that loonsmashas are listed as 150 its not the only error.

Has anyone used the Squig dice? 

My first impression when I saw them was that there must be a weight issue with all the texture and sculpting going on, plus rubber has different properties than plastic. 

Since I'm doing a Squig army, though, I feel like it's my duty to have them (Gork knows the staff at my nearest GW were trying to sell me them).  I just find it hard to believe they could be tournament legal.

16 minutes ago, michu said:

On reddit someone posted a photo indicating that after rolling paint peels off the dice. Use it only as a wound counter.

I'm probably going to buy a box and use them purely for squig random movement rolls.  

What does everyone think about using a big unit of fellwater trolls mixed into a squig army? Gives a good target to hand across the board while hoppers and boingrots are in the front line?

3 minutes ago, Gumbalina said:

What does everyone think about using a big unit of fellwater trolls mixed into a squig army? Gives a good target to hand across the board while hoppers and boingrots are in the front line?

A unit of 60 Stabbas does the same thing at half the price. At 720 points a unit of 12 Fellwater is the basis of an army, not an addition to it ;) 

21 minutes ago, Malakree said:

A unit of 60 Stabbas does the same thing at half the price. At 720 points a unit of 12 Fellwater is the basis of an army, not an addition to it ;) 

I never said take 12, a unit of 6 is enough not to be ignored and resilient enough to battleshock to be capable of taking some punishment and it's cheaper than 60 stabbas and easier to sneak them in

14 minutes ago, JonnyTheKing said:

Is the command ability on loonbods mangler worth the extra 60 points if going very squig heavy? Does it make a significant difference in damage?

If you’re going very Squig heavy, I’d think yes. Every extra unit of Bounders/Hoppers/Herd magnifies his return on investment. Just himself and a small number of Squigs might not be the best points investment. But in a Squig army a Mangler boss seems pretty strong/maybe borderline necessary.

Edited by FPC

17 minutes ago, Gumbalina said:

I never said take 12, a unit of 6 is enough not to be ignored and resilient enough to battleshock to be capable of taking some punishment and it's cheaper than 60 stabbas and easier to sneak them in

Oh right, when you said "big unit" I thought you meant 9/12. 

For fellwaters 6 seems to be the average size.

9 hours ago, dirkdragonslayer said:

What are some good Grot Knightly order names?

Orda of da pointy stick?

Knights of da Bad Moon?

Defendas of da Eight Peaks?

Maybe someone good with puns can think of one.

Nighty Knights 

Knights of the round Toadstool

Charge of the dank (blight?) brigade 

Squignado

Squigs on the plane (insert realm here)

Knights who say Sod off

The order of no baths

da moon howlers

broken tooth loonies 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, ChaosMonkeyBoy said:

Funny, GW’s website says “This kit is supplied in 15 components and contains 2 x 50mm round bases and 1 x 60mm round base.” But mine came with:

Scrapskuttle's Arachnacauldron: 75x42mm

Mork’s Mighty Mushroom: 60mm

The Malevolent Moon: 50mm

Thanks, ChaosMonkeyBoy! I thought the cauldron base was a round one...

BTW, any chance you could give me the rough measures of the Scuttletide  endless spell? The one with the spiders? Im planning to do it as a line of grot “knights” on a shieldwall formation, as it will be more in line with my converted army... not a big fan of the spiders... 😉👍

thanks again!

AJ

7 hours ago, Nikobot said:

I wonder if this has come up yet :

- take a unit of 20x stabbas

- hand of gork unit across board 9" from enemy

- in the charge phase, deploy the 15x cunningly hidden fanatics within 3" of the stabba unit,  but 6" away from enemy

- make charge roll on 6+

hopefully crash in to as many juicy bits as possible and possibly shake hands

Do the maths on the averages.  you get about 30  wounds out of that against a 4+ save.  So chances are you delete a screening unit.  If you have set your charge up right so nobody else can pile in then it's a nuicance because they don't want to charge you because you hit first again but any decent shooting & magic should do a dent, or if anyone has -1 to hit floating around they'll just take the charge and probably kill those 15w.

It's an option with a few risks (I'd add cogs into my list if going for it) but I think other armies do alpha strikes better.

Edited by Dave Fraser
typo

2nd shot at a full out hopper list:

Leaders
Loonboss on Mangler Squigs (300)
- General
Loonboss on Mangler Squigs (300)
Madcap Shaman (80)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)

Battleline
5 x Squig Hoppers (90)
5 x Squig Hoppers (90)
5 x Squig Hoppers (90)

Units
5 x Boingrot Bounderz (100)

Behemoths
Mangler Squigs (240)
Mangler Squigs (240)

Endless Spells
Scrapskuttle's Arachnacauldron (50)
Scuttletide (30)

Total: 2000 / 2000

Edited by polishsausage

7 hours ago, Malakree said:

It also how many points you want to invest and what exactly you are after. The mangler is a combat monster with no utility outside of that while the dankhold is a bravery buff which a much more technical toolkit. Lastly each of the arachnarok spiders brings something slightly different to the army.

All of them are solid options.

Agreed.

I know the book is brand new and one of the first thing people do is debate raw numbers for units and the point costs, but I hope that we get to a bit more of a nuanced discussion soon as people start to get a few real games in. 

For me, I don't really see a lot of these things as direct competition with each other because they fulfill slightly different roles.  Some of those roles overlap (making stuff dead), but there is some subtle difference where a lot of the different big guys seem to fit and excel.  For example, the discussion often turns to the Mangler and his very impressive & reliable damage profile.  The Mangler is named quite well and his name describes exactly what he does.  Just like in WFB 8th edition, the Mangler is effectively a suicidal bowling ball that you hurl straight into the enemy lines to inflict absolutely as much carnage as you can before he goes down.  He is a piece that does not offer any support (outside of the character version), does not need any, is absolutely too dangerous to ignore, can kill or severely injure damn near anything other than the few biggest models, and remains effective until he is removed from the board.  Those are a lot of great features, but there is no real subtlety to this guy (although he does not need it). 

Other big monsters can kill stuff to varying degrees, but they have different features that can lead them to be used differently.  The Skitterstrand has a broader tactical use due to his ability to appear when and where you need.  He also is quite effective at stalking the back-lines of the enemy and devouring support pieces.  The Dankhold troll to me seems like a mid-line support monster where his versatility can shine.  The Giant has a large offensive profile on a relatively small base which allows him to support units well or go hero-hunting.  He is also really cheap which means he can play the role of a scary chaff unit or can effectively smash other chaff without using many resources to do it.  Which one you will want to use will most likely depend upon your overall army construction and the strategy you want to employ with the different pieces you include.  The Mangler is probably always going to be a good inclusion due to what he does, but you might not always need him and find more value in a different approach.