AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

18 hours ago, Malakithe said:

And yet you bought the stuff that will be obsolete within weeks lol i never buy the dumb cards now. Warscrolls change way too often and too fast

warscroll cards are great. especially the new format.  most warscrolls really don't change... every now and then a rule on one will change. These were just updated, with 2.0 in mind. I'd be surprised if more than 1 or 2 changed over the next couple of years....(out of 35-40 warscrolls!) way better than having to look up everything on your phone.  I feel rude to my opponent actually when i have to spend a lot of time looking up stuff on my phone. 

Edited by sorokyl

1 hour ago, sorokyl said:

warscroll cards are great. especially the new format.  most warscrolls really don't change... every now and then a rule on one will change. These were just updated, with 2.0 in mind. I'd be surprised if more than 1 or 2 changed over the next couple of years....(out of 35-40 warscrolls!) way better than having to look up everything on your phone.  I feel rude to my opponent actually when i have to spend a lot of time looking up stuff on my phone. 

Agreed 😊 and even if some cards would change I would still buy them.  The tokens are great too. 

4 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

It’s really annoying that if you pre-order the fancy version of the book from GW’s webstore that they can’t ship it to arrive by the release date without charging a bunch more.  They are just about the only eCommerce company that does this - even for games.  The Warstore or Miniature market ship their product early enough that it arrives at your house on the street release date.

It will be here in 2 or so more days, but it is annoying to order direct just to get purposefully worse service.

In the UK mine arrived this morning at around 9:30 With the post.

Agree on the warscroll cards, I used to really, really not like them in the old format. But now I think they are great! And if any changes to warscroll occur, hopefully it’ll be easy enough to just write on the warscroll ourselves with whatever change happened. 

Edited by Matt Large

6 minutes ago, Matt Large said:

Agree on the warscroll cards, I used to really, really not like them in the old format. But now I think they are great! And if any changes to warscroll occur, hopefully it’ll be easy enough to just write on the warscroll ourselves with whatever change happened. 

I like even the old format cards. They are way easier to transport than a battletome and you can only take the ones which are relevant with you to tournaments. Makes it much easier to show your opponent and explain what you are doing.

Scuttletide

So as I mentioned above I now have my rules book. Has anyone else noticed that the scuttletide can be setup ANYWHERE as long as it's within 6" of a piece of terrain and costs a mere 30 points.

I think of all the things in the army this is the one I most underestimated when I initially read it. It's fricking amazing, you cannot hide from it, it will chase you, it will block your movement, it's cheap, has a great effects and you can cast it from outside of unbinding range. 

It's fantastic!

EDIT: Oh and the model is such a nice model. Looks great.

Edited by Malakree

6 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

Ironjawz

Ironjawz warscrolls haven't changed at all? That's the ones I was referring to...

Stormcast are a stupid buy for warscrolls, they update every year.

EDIT: On that note, taking bets on what this years stormcast will be specifically designed to hose!

Edited by Malakree

1 hour ago, Malakree said:

In the UK mine arrived this morning at around 9:30 With the post.

In the US they don’t ship it until Friday and since they use FedEx ground it depends on where you live.  FedEx main hub is in Memphis and I live in Idaho.  It’s a few thousand miles so it takes a few days with that shipping method.

What is annoying is that they wait so long to ship it out the door.  They already have the product before then because they have to get it shipped much earlier to distributors in order to get it to game stores.  If you pre-order from other online retailers they usually ship it out on Wednesday - which means GW got them the product by then.  If those people can do that then GW should be able to do it directly themselves.  

It’s just obnoxious when you purchase from them and they get the manufacturer, wholesale, and retail margins and yet they provide a rather poor service.  I purchased through them solely for the fancy edition - otherwise I would have used a discount retailer and also got the product earlier.

I have another question. Does the Dankhold Troggoth have three head options?

99120209053_DankholdTroggoth04.jpg

99120209053_DankholdTroggoth05.jpg

Looking at the sprues it seems to me like there are three head options. But I might be wrong. 

As we have seen only two options, I would be interested how the last option looks like, because I don't like the Trogboss head with the fish on the head (or whatever the thing on his head is).

If there are three head options, does anyone maybe know if there exists pictures of all versions in the new battletome or somewhere else?

Edited by Infeston

1 hour ago, Infeston said:

99120209053_DankholdTroggoth04.jpg

99120209053_DankholdTroggoth05.jpg

Looking at the sprues it seems to me like there are three head options. But I might be wrong. 

As we have seen only two options, I would be interested how the last option looks like, because I don't like the Trogboss head with the fish on the head (or whatever the thing on his head is).

If there are three head options, does anyone maybe know if there exists pictures of all versions in the new battletome or somewhere else?

Looks like three heads. Troggboss, and then two others. One with open mouth and another with closed mouth. 

Another question: What defines a Trogboss? If I want to build a Trogboss, could i theoretically use another head?  So what I am getting at is the following: Does the weapon choice dictate which role a model has or does the face?

So when I use a different face for the Trogboss, but the rest stays the same,  could there be people who might complain that I haven't build a 100% Trogboss or will most people still count this as a Trogboss?

I think this might be more of a general question about which features define the role of a model, because I have also build a Frostlord on Stonehorn without a beard (but he still has the frozen spear) and a Megaboss on Maw Krusha with a Gordrakk head (but still with the weapons of a Megaboss). 

I myself wouldn't think this could be a problem, but I just wanted to ask what other people think, because I have never been to a tournament or any other "official" or big event. So I don't know if something has to be build exactly the same way it is portrayed or if maybe some features (like heads) are interchangeable.

Edited by Infeston

10 minutes ago, Infeston said:

Another question: What defines a Trogboss? If I want to build a Trogboss, could i theoretically use another head?  So what I am getting at is the following: Does the weapon choice dictate which role a model has or does the face?

So when I use a different face for the Trogboss, but the rest stays the same,  could there be people who might complain that I haven't build a 100% Trogboss or will most people still count this as a Trogboss?

I think this might be more of a general question about which features define the role of a model, because I have also build a Frostlord on Stonehorn without a beard (but he still has the frozen spear) and a Megaboss on Maw Krusha with a Gordrakk head (but still with the weapons of a Megaboss). 

I myself wouldn't think this could be a problem, but I just wanted to ask what other people think, because I have never been to a tournament or any other "official" or big event. So I don't know if something has to be build exactly the same way it is portrayed or if maybe some features (like heads) are interchangeable.

I think the face is the defining trait since the Troggboss face is older and age seems to be the background thing that separates the bosses from regular guy.

@Infeston I think the only thing that defines a Troggboss above his peers is how you paint/present him. You should be able to do whatever you want, and still call him a Troggboss as long as he sticks out in some way next to his kin. In a way, we could almost treat it as a unit champion.

At least I hope so. I think the gw troggboss build looks really bad compared to a "regular" dankhold Troggoth.

On the topic of Dankhold: outside of thematic lists, what do people prefer in terms of pure stats? A Troggboss, or a Loonboss on Mangler? Asking because they're the same cost, so kind of competing with each-other.

• Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Mayple said:

@Infeston I think the only thing that defines a Troggboss above his peers is how you paint/present him. You should be able to do whatever you want, and still call him a Troggboss as long as he sticks out in some way next to his kin. In a way, we could almost treat it as a unit champion.

At least I hope so. I think the gw troggboss build looks really bad compared to a "regular" dankhold Troggoth.

On the topic of Dankhold: outside of thematic lists, what do people prefer in terms of pure stats? A Troggboss, or a Loonboss on Mangler? Asking because they're the same cost, so kind of competing with each-other.

Looking on stats I prefer the Loonboss on mangler squig 😊 

1 hour ago, Mayple said:

I really dislike that doppy face so much.

I wouldn't take either outside of themes. For the mangler squigs there is no reason to spend the 60 points to put a loonboss on the back, his attacks are shockingly bad and gives no other benefits.

For the dankhold troggboss it's at least a comparison. You spend 80 points to get 4 attacks on the club instead of 3 with +1 bravery and +2 wounds. I'm still not sure you'd take him over a normal dankhold but it's closer.

Depending on what exactly your list is doing I would favour the troggoth at 20 points less simply for the smaller base and +1 bravery aura. Though honestly it's close.

If I'm totally honest the arachnarok spiders beat them both out in most regards and are a similar price point.

3 hours ago, Infeston said:

The max unit size is 3, so it would make sense that they included 3 different heads

1 hour ago, Infeston said:

People vary in their opinion about this. If the model looks like a giant troll and you tell me it's a troggboss we're good. Usually what people get upset about is the weapon options on the model, but the troggboss and dankhold are exactly the same on the warscroll, so I don't see any grounds for complaining as long as you say what it is.

Alright here is what I've got for a first crack at Squigz V1

Skragrott- general

Loonboss on Mangler- pipes of doom

Loonboss on Cave Squig- loonstone talisman

Squig Herd x12

Squig Herd x6

Squig Herd x6

Mangler

Hoppers x5

Hoppers x5

Boingrots x10

Boingrots x10

Squig Rider Stampede

Squigalanche

Comes in at 1960.

Since Skragrott is my general I am debating the loonboss on mangler.  I could take him out entirely, add another loonboss on cave squig and then increase the size of the hoppers/boingrots/herds (though the herds are just there for battleline).

15 minutes ago, Malakree said:

I wouldn't take either outside of themes. For the mangler squigs there is no reason to spend the 60 points to put a loonboss on the back, his attacks are shockingly bad and gives no other benefits.

For the dankhold troggboss it's at least a comparison. You spend 80 points to get 4 attacks on the club instead of 3 with +1 bravery and +2 wounds. I'm still not sure you'd take him over a normal dankhold but it's closer.

Depending on what exactly your list is doing I would favour the troggoth at 20 points less simply for the smaller base and +1 bravery aura. Though honestly it's close.

If I'm totally honest the arachnarok spiders beat them both out in most regards and are a similar price point.

All 3 models look viable from looking at the warscroll, but which one sees the most competitive play probably depends on which lists they fit into. I do agree for the lists I've written so far, the arachnarok shaman is winning out.

Picked up my order today (Battletome and a box of hoppers) and my squigs only came with 9 bases. I've looked everywhere but I'm pretty sure I haven't lost the 10th base. I ordered online from a 3rd party store, is it worth me contacting GW at all? I've heard they are really good with issues like this but since I didn't order from them direct I'm not sure.

48 minutes ago, Bolgan said:

All 3 models look viable from looking at the warscroll, but which one sees the most competitive play probably depends on which lists they fit into. I do agree for the lists I've written so far, the arachnarok shaman is winning out.

The damage output from the Dankhold Troggoths looks very weak.