AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

Small thing I just noticed about the Gobbapalooza warscrolls, none of them have the HERO keyword (though they get called 'heroes' several times in the product description and some are Wizards (and unlike other non-Hero Wizards, such as Doomfire Warlocks, operate as single models not a unit). I guess that's so they don't take up all your Hero slots.

Also the Wizards amongst them dont get Mystic Shield or Arcane Bolt just their Warscroll spell.

Anyone have the Battletome yet and have the points for them / the Gobbapalloza battalion to hand?

Edited by JPjr

1 hour ago, JPjr said:

. I guess that's so they don't take up all your Hero slots.

Well to be fair there is no Hero slots anyways!

You're thinking about Leader slots, which while are highly correlated with Hero keywords, are technically separate. There have been Heroes that aren't Leaders and Leaders that aren't Heroes.

Kind of like the Monster =/= Behemoth thing. Or the Artillery =/= Warmachine thing.

2 hours ago, JPjr said:

Small thing I just noticed about the Gobbapalooza warscrolls, none of them have the HERO keyword (though they get called 'heroes' several times in the product description and some are Wizards (and unlike other non-Hero Wizards, such as Doomfire Warlocks, operate as single models not a unit). I guess that's so they don't take up all your Hero slots.

Also the Wizards amongst them dont get Mystic Shield or Arcane Bolt just their Warscroll spell.

Anyone have the Battletome yet and have the points for them / the Gobbapalloza battalion to hand?

240 for the models, 110 for the battalion mate. It’s nice they have them the -1 to hit mechanic like hero’s get as well.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Amradiel said:

With the book in hand, has anyone rethinked their way of building the army?  😊

The book has so much potential for different builds I’m finding it hard to work out a list I wanna stick with, I still think grot heavy with squig support is the way to go though. 

Edited by Matt Large
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Matt Large said:

The book has so much potential for different builds I’m finding it hard to work out a list I wanna stick with, I still think grot heavy with squig support is the way to go though. 

At first I was thinking Grot/Troggoth mix but now I think that mostly Squigs is the way to go for me 😊

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Amradiel said:

With the book in hand, has anyone rethinked their way of building the army?  😊

Nope the Squigpocalypse shall bounce apon the Mortal Realms for all eternity! For Boingob! (The Squig Godbeast is funny, how best to deal with a shiny star that hurts your eyes? Try Eat it!).

Ive just now built up 20 hoppers, 20 herd and 4 herders 

Edited by Ekrund Oath Splitters
  • Like 1

Im really stumped on what artefact to take on my Mangler Boss in my LGS' 1250pt league. Non of the weapons are really good on him as he doesnt have rend and multiple damage as standard. So theses are the ones i have narrowed it down to: Ethereal Amulet, Gryph Feather Charm, Thermalrider Cloak, Hydroxskin Cloak, Greenglade Flask and Betrayer's Crown.

Out of all of them i leaning more towards the Thermalrider Cloak and Betrayer's Crown..... The reason being is that the Thermalrider Cloak gives + 4" movement which is huge on a Mangler Squig, with a run he is averaging 18" of movement, 21" when affected by a Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig's command ability. This will allow him to deploy out of range of most spells and ranged weapons. The Betrayer's Crown just nukes hordes, he can clip a horde or be within 3" of that unit, make them shank each other and then smush the bigger threat he is engaged with, then with Fight another Day he can disengage the combat making him immune to retaliation during our combat phase, unless you roll poorly vs Sisters of Slaughter or other units that pile in 6". So im quite stuck on what to choose, i dont think he needs a defensive artefact, just something that enhances his capabilities.

What are your opinions guys?  

Originally i was going to take the Backstabber's Blade but you still need to wound with it which is quite off putting and it still only deals 1 damage... 

What do people think about running multiple 20 strong units instead of big blobs? I remember Nick’s army that won a Heat last year or the year before did something to that effect. It probably misses out on making the most out of the buffs that can be stacked on them but uses the grots in a more block, defensive role to cover the harder hitting units. What do we think is a better way to run our little grots? 

2 hours ago, Matt Large said:

Thats were im at as well..I want to have a solid core hammer unit of 60 stabbas ported into position with HoG of course,,then would like to do a Loonboss on Mangler working with 10-15 Boingrots for flankers,,maybe another Mangler working with them.Then of course a caster or two..need to fit this into a battalion somehow though.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Matt Large said:

What do people think about running multiple 20 strong units instead of big blobs? I remember Nick’s army that won a Heat last year or the year before did something to that effect. It probably misses out on making the most out of the buffs that can be stacked on them but uses the grots in a more block, defensive role to cover the harder hitting units. What do we think is a better way to run our little grots? 

Well smaller units do have their advantages.

although from a more fluff perspective  I personally like big blocks of rats or goblins more 

It is really difficult to construct lists with Gloomspite Gitz. I love that! A very good indicator that they've got so many good choices, and different ways to play, that you have to pick a direction. Can't just do everything at once. 

To that end, I'm actively struggling on deciding whether I want to use Skragrot or not. Is he able to give us a turn 1 bad moon? I'm reading it as a yes, but if it's a no, that'll make the decision for me.

My core is going to be 60 stabbas (with tiny stabbas) to form my battleshock immune spine. They'll fight around center/one other flank. Will go either 2x20 shootas, or 2x5 squig herds depending on whether I need to save points or not. And also squigs are great, so why not.

For the rest of the army, I've got 30 bounderz ready to go, but might just go with one unit of 15, or 3 units of 5. The 15 benefits from Sneaky Snufflers, whereas the 3x5 are far safer, and able to cover multiple fronts simultaneously, which is a regular strategy I employ. Decisions smecisions. 

Gonna have one Mangler Squig no matter what I do. Too good! Too cool! Probably a Loonboss on it, but not married to the idea. Are 2 manglers too much? 

The real brainwracker is whether I want to go heavily into magic or not. I usually forgo the whole magic phase in favour of more troops, but with such good spell lores.. Well. 

Send help. Going mad! 

Edited by Mayple
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mayple said:

It is really difficult to construct lists with Gloomspite Gitz. I love that! A very good indicator that they've got so many good choices, and different ways to play, that you have to pick a direction. Can't just do everything at once. 

To that end, I'm actively struggling on deciding whether I want to use Skragrot or not. Is he able to give us a turn 1 bad moon? I'm reading it as a yes, but if it's a no, that'll make the decision for me.

My core is going to be 60 stabbas (with tiny stabbas) to form my battleshock immune spine. They'll fight around center/one other flank. Will go either 2x20 shootas, or 2x5 squig herds depending on whether I need to save points or not. And also squigs are great, so why not.

For the rest of the army, I've got 30 bounderz ready to go, but might just go with one unit of 15, or 3 units of 5. The 15 benefits from Sneaky Snufflers, whereas the 3x5 are far safer, and able to cover multiple fronts simultaneously, which is a regular strategy I employ. Decisions smecisions. 

Gonna have one Mangler Squig no matter what I do. Too good! Too cool! Probably a Loonboss on it, but not married to the idea. Are 2 manglers too much? 

The real brainwracker is whether I want to go heavily into magic or not. I usually forgo the whole magic phase in favour of more troops, but with such good spell lores.. Well. 

Send help. Going mad! 

No, turn one moon isn’t possible Unfortunatley, as the command ability says “before you roll the dice to determine how far the Bad Moon” and you don’t start rolling until turn 2, so the earliest you can use the command ability is turn 2. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Matt Large said:

No, turn one moon isn’t possible Unfortunatley, as the command ability says “before you roll the dice to determine how far the Bad Moon” and you don’t start rolling until turn 2, so the earliest you can use the command ability is turn 2. 

Then I'll probably scrap him in favour of a non-named hero :) Those command traits are juicy, and I can do more "my guys" stuff with it. Mangler Loonboss and Cave Loonboss are both solid candidates, but maybe I want to go full sneaky and appoint a regular footslogging Loonboss for it? Huhm. 

3 hours ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

Im really stumped on what artefact to take on my Mangler Boss in my LGS' 1250pt league. Non of the weapons are really good on him as he doesnt have rend and multiple damage as standard. So theses are the ones i have narrowed it down to: Ethereal Amulet, Gryph Feather Charm, Thermalrider Cloak, Hydroxskin Cloak, Greenglade Flask and Betrayer's Crown.

Out of all of them i leaning more towards the Thermalrider Cloak and Betrayer's Crown..... The reason being is that the Thermalrider Cloak gives + 4" movement which is huge on a Mangler Squig, with a run he is averaging 18" of movement, 21" when affected by a Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig's command ability. This will allow him to deploy out of range of most spells and ranged weapons. The Betrayer's Crown just nukes hordes, he can clip a horde or be within 3" of that unit, make them shank each other and then smush the bigger threat he is engaged with, then with Fight another Day he can disengage the combat making him immune to retaliation during our combat phase, unless you roll poorly vs Sisters of Slaughter or other units that pile in 6". So im quite stuck on what to choose, i dont think he needs a defensive artefact, just something that enhances his capabilities.

What are your opinions guys?  

Originally i was going to take the Backstabber's Blade but you still need to wound with it which is quite off putting and it still only deals 1 damage... 

-1 to hit

41 minutes ago, Entombet said:

-1 to hit

Does he need it though? You can safely deploy him far enough back with the Thermalrider Cloak, that should keep him out of range for most range weapons in the game and most damage spells except the likes of the Everblaze Comet. Then when it comes to melee you can surround him in a ring of Squig Herd to stop any turn 1 charges against him and then he can also fight over the squigs with his 2" range of which afterwards he gets to move 2D6" straight away making up for his conceded deployment. 

You can then move him 4d6 + 7" inches and then charge 2d6" in your turn 1. Thats a mighty 28" average turn 1 or use a flat 6" to run and thats suddenly 30-31", he should then wipe out any unit your charge him into with 7 attacks on 2s and 2s -2 d3 damage followed up by 4 attacks 3s and 2s -1 d6 damage + a handful of goblin attacks. Then he scampers away 2d6" which can place him on objectives, fly over LoS blocking terrain or over enemy units to hide behind there own lines.

-1 to hit is fine until you realise what ever attacks him in the meta will easily remove 12 4+ save wounds. If you can kill a Giant in one turn you can kill a Mangler or Troggboss in 1 turn aswell. The key thing is to choose the targets you want to destroy with the Mangler Boss, he is a Heat Seeking Missile and a mighty good one at that. 

How i see it you cant make him durable in the sense of the things that are currently out there in the game, He will never be as tanky as an Ethereal Amulet VLoZD, Morathi, a Star Drake with all the buffs or anything else out there that can take alot of wounds effectively. It is inevitable that he is going to die, its actually good when he dies as he explodes taking things down with him, you just have to make sure hes made a big enough impact for the rest of your army to function without him, hes is essentially a Loonsmasha Fanatic squad, you know you wont finish the game with them alive but you know that they will make one hell of an impact during it.

Loosing your General isnt a huge thing in AoS, youll get a new one as soon as he dies.

-1 to hit artefacts are mainly for units that will be in prolonged combat or dont have the speed to get up the board like the Webspinner Shaman on Arok. With Sneaky Distractions and Headress of Many Eyes hes on a -2 to hit, and he needs that as he wont be seeing combat until maybe turn 2 earliest and he will be taking the most of your enemies attention to bring down due to being such a huge force multipler. Alot of people Knee-****** towards -1s to hit for there Heroes when there are still better options out there if you put more planning behind it. 

9 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

Loosing your General isnt a huge thing in AoS, youll get a new one as soon as he dies.

I believe thats a Narrative Play/Open Play rule. In Matched Play, you do not get any more generals. Otherwise there would be some very interesting General Trait swapping with suicide generals.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kenshin620 said:

I believe thats a Narrative Play/Open Play rule. In Matched Play, you do not get any more generals. Otherwise there would be some very interesting General Trait swapping with suicide generals.

I believe it's a match play rule, we should double check, I normally play ironjaws so I don't really loss my Megaboss all too often and when I do the game is over anyway 

I played a game today against a Slaanesh army on Starstrike. Nothing really surprising to report, but in short I had 60 grots with +1 attack and stab 'em good lined up 12" around the loonshrine and he charged in most of his army and got worn down by those 9 netters in front. I think the moonclan horde build is quite powerful if you can keep your support units alive and don't lose too much to battleshock. I'll be running the same list a few more times, but I hope to eventually get an arachnarok shaman to stack -1 to hit modifiers with the netters.

15 minutes ago, Mayple said:

It's not :P We can check, but it is not. 

From a quick Google search it looks like its in some battleplans and was used in the Warhammer Community page describing one of the changes in the new edition of AoS but I'm not thumbing through my handbook at 1am in the morning 😂😂 I have never used the rule as I said before I tend not to loose my general unless the game is already lost.

My point still stands about the Mangler Boss, he will die and a -1 to hit wont help him. The closer he gets the more attention he gets and the more MWs he will likely take from spells and other abilities. Added mobility is a better defence than -1 to hit, smart positioning and picking your engagements is key for a MB, if your sloppy with your placement youre just throwing him away. 

If you have a way of stacking minuses to hit then do it, but if you don't, take something that will help your army whilst he is alive. This strict applies to Scuttlebosses, Mangler bosses and Madcap Shamans. Dankholds can get better surviability with a 4+++ shrug and the webspinner has his spell lore to help him survive.

All I'm saying is don't just auto go for -1 to hit as your artefact, there are ways around it and things that can auto hit or just flat out deal mortal wounds. Be smart and take something unique and surprising, next Saturday I will be taking out my squig list against 3 armies.

Another thing to keep in mind, you have to remember alot of the competitive scene will now have Gloomspite armies in now, you have to plan towards maybe not having the moon where you want it and having to fight a mirror match. Is a -1 to hit going to save a character when boingrots kill him on the charge etc.

It’s really annoying that if you pre-order the fancy version of the book from GW’s webstore that they can’t ship it to arrive by the release date without charging a bunch more.  They are just about the only eCommerce company that does this - even for games.  The Warstore or Miniature market ship their product early enough that it arrives at your house on the street release date.

It will be here in 2 or so more days, but it is annoying to order direct just to get purposefully worse service.

• Like 1