AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

27 minutes ago, PUFNSTUF said:

Can someone confirm that since we roll for movement of the moon in the second battle round, there is no way to get it's benefits first turn even with Skagrots ability? So if our plan is a first turn charge don't count on the moon abilities.

Only turn 2 it physicaly moves, can still get a first turn charge with Hand of Gorked Stabbas unloading 15 fanatics 3" ahead of them. Just need a 6" charge. Or squig Lured Mangler/Hoppers/Colossal Squigs.

I wouldnt bank on using the moon for 50% of your plans anyway as it can be quite unpredictable. When it happens it happens. Unless your taking Skraggrot then yeah build a plan around the Moon.

Edited by Ekrund Oath Splitters

So about Sneaky Snuffler, they have an amazing buff that affects all Moonclan keyword (So they affect squigs) units and they are very cheap units that can count for Spiteful Prodder dices. however their buff only goes off if you roll bellow or equal to the model in the sneaky snuffler meaning you fail the buff on a 6 since you min size is 5 (even though you get six in a box) and it get harder to buff your unit if you start loosing models. their buff is also wholly within 12" and your immobile in the Movement phase so you have to have good positioning and preplanning to make it work

So my thoughts are is that  if you want to run Sneaky Snufflers it quite possible  that you want an extra unit or two in a list just in case stuff happens

Also Rockguts have this same wording in their warscroll for their Boulder throw ability so a unit of 6 trolls can auto D3 mortal wounds anything within range, and since it not a range attack but an ability you can fire it outside of combat

5 hours ago, Charlo said:

So here's one for you GITZ...

Spiderfangs seem rather strong, however I am a TOTAL Aracnaphobe. The models seriously creep me out 😱

So I need a different "theme" for the models... What do people think would be good? I considered Deep-kin, as the sea creatures could make for cool riders - its just more if the scale matches up?

Any other thoughts?

Have a look at the Tyranid range for 40k.  Grots riding Hormagaunts might work for Spider-riders and pretty much any of the larger monsters would do as an Arachnarock - a maleceptor perhaps?  They are more insectoid than arachnid, so hoping insects are ok. :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

Even though owen keeps doing the Im Da the Boss now Stab em up Good wrong, i think stabbas are better than pokin spears, looks like there barely hit!

I think he Daisy chain the Gobbos a little too much, the strength of spear is getting more unit into combat and attacking in one go

2 hours ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

Even though owen keeps doing the Im Da the Boss now Stab em up Good wrong, i think stabbas are better than pokin spears, looks like there barely hit!

Yeah I usually would use giant units of 60 and preferred spears. Although really the units were just wounds for my net delivery system. The nets would do most of the work/attacks.

I think if I was building new units now I  would do stabbas, especially for anything less than a 60 blob.

i have custom movement trays to max my attacks though and stop my casual game apponents from walking away from the table whilst I shuffle my little Gitz around 

Edited by Milandro

31 minutes ago, Milandro said:

i have custom movement trays to max my attacks though and stop my casual game apponents from walking away from the table whilst I shuffle my little Gitz around

I'm looking into trays right now. Did you buy yours and would you recommend them?

15 minutes ago, Bolgan said:

I'm looking into trays right now. Did you buy yours and would you recommend them?

I had them made by a local 3d printer. (Ontario Canada). 

I really like them. I have a 20 block which my main command sits (most netters and champion). I have 5 sized ones for the flanks which snugly stack in and a ten or two in the bank which are usually the first casualties. 

It made setting up and switching tables at tournaments easier. And the first turns or two were a lot faster. When big combat starts they pile in and the trays are largely discarded, but by then a lot are dead so it’s easier to manage and they are already on the objective so they likely won’t be leaving.

I added a picture below. I was running 60 blocks before but will probably try some smaller units now that we have access to more command points and the shrine of fearlessness

D2CB9645-9B5E-4072-82CA-0E317A752F35.jpeg

• Like 2

So I was interested in others thoughts about a conversion pertaining to the Loonboss with and on a giant cave squig. 

I was considering picking up Mangler set and splitting it up to make these two models. 

I think you could get them onto the current base sizes for these two. The only thing is they may be a bit too large vertically.... or as long as they fit the current base sizing do you think it would be ok for say tournament play?

18 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

So I was interested in others thoughts about a conversion pertaining to the Loonboss with and on a giant cave squig. 

I was considering picking up Mangler set and splitting it up to make these two models. 

I think you could get them onto the current base sizes for these two. The only thing is they may be a bit too large vertically.... or as long as they fit the current base sizing do you think it would be ok for say tournament play?

Tournament wise as long as you can identify what it is and it's on the correct base people don't care.

I faced someone running "Legions of Nagash" using his old Tomb Kings models, there were no issues because he went over it at the start and everything was easily identified as what it was. (Tomb Guard == Grave Guard etc.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vasshpit said:

I was going to split up my old resin Mangler into 2 for Loonbosses. No idea on the scale compared to the model GW sells though. 

Hope I'm not spamming the thread or anything; but after some time fiddling with lists and with some soul searching i've come up with:

Heroes:

Skragrott the loon king

Loonboss on Mangler squigs w/ The Clammy Cowl

Loonboss on Cave Squig

Madcap Shaman w/ moonface mommet

3x6 Squigherd

15x Boingrot Bounderz

2x10 squig hoppers

3x5 Sneaky Snufflers

Squig rider stampede

Chronomatic Cogs

Tot: 1990

Does this look good? I'm slightly worried that it's a bit too heavy on the RNG with the squig hoppers (go figure, right?) which could be a problem when i try to play objective holding missions and the like, since essentially the army is all hammers. I've also been thinking about switching the madcap shaman for a fungoid cave-shaman, but he can't use gloomspite magic items, so i'm a bit stumped at what to do there.

4 hours ago, Vasshpit said:

This should be fine. The only thing that stopped people from doing this conversion in the past is that the base size in WFB for the Boss on Giant Squig was 40mm and the Mangler was on a 60mm.  In addition, that boss was not very good and Manglers were great - so most people would just use the Mangler kit to make 2 Manglers rather than a boss on squig.

But now the new Mangler kit is going to be on a bigger base and the old resin mangler is small enough that it fills out a 50mm round base rather well - which I think is the base size for the Loonboss on Giant Squig.  I can't imagine anyone not allowing it as the conversion is honestly pretty obvious.  Depending upon the base size used for the Boss with Giant Cave Squig you might find real-estate to fit them both a bit cramped, but it should be doable and work just fine.  I have 2 of the old resin mangler kits (and also a non-GW resin one that I really like) and I will probably also be trying to figure out a fun project to use them with.  I'm not sure exactly what I am going to do with them but I like the new plastic model enough that I will definitely be picking up and using a few.  But I like all of the old squig models and want to include them in my army somewhere and so I will be trying to figure out some fun projects for them.

4 hours ago, Vasshpit said:

The warboss on Cave Squig is on a 50mm base... I do not think a new magler would fit on that. The old ones were on 60s, so that's a better bet (even though a "60" is a lot bigger than a "50" due to them not being the advertised size).  I think the new one is just too big to convert.  The Forgeworld model is pretty good... 

"With a cave squig", skarsnik is such a good model! but any regular ol cave squig would work great (squig herd box) 

I can see some people may split mangler squig kit up to get 2 units out of it, so any conversion you use those for will probably be confused with that. 

Edited by sorokyl

42 minutes ago, Filie said:

Does this look good? I'm slightly worried that it's a bit too heavy on the RNG with the squig hoppers (go figure, right?) which could be a problem when i try to play objective holding missions and the like, since essentially the army is all hammers. I've also been thinking about switching the madcap shaman for a fungoid cave-shaman, but he can't use gloomspite magic items, so i'm a bit stumped at what to do there.

My main thought would be that your snufflers aren't going to be in range of the squig hoppers/bounders for long ,and the herds are too small to be worth the buff/survive to reach your foes. Snufflers are best paired with big blobs I reckon. If possible I'd try and amalgamate them, reduce the number of snufflers and try and get a blob of grots in.

On the topic of lists... I have been scribbling away thinking about it and here’s the one I have come up with and on paper I really like the look of it. Let’s hope it works when the actual book is out! What do we think? 

Skragrott the Loonking - General

Madcap Shaman

Loonboss

Loonboss on Mangler Squig with that Doppleganger Cloak 

40 Stabbas - Battleline 

40 Stabbas - Battleline

5 Loonsmasha Fanatics

5 Loonsmasha Fanatics

5 Shroom Fanatics

5 Sneaky Snufflers

10 Boingrot Bounders

12 Squig Herd - Battleline 

2000 points on the nose 

6 minutes ago, Soulsmith said:

My main thought would be that your snufflers aren't going to be in range of the squig hoppers/bounders for long ,and the herds are too small to be worth the buff/survive to reach your foes. Snufflers are best paired with big blobs I reckon. If possible I'd try and amalgamate them, reduce the number of snufflers and try and get a blob of grots in.

Yeah I can get that. I might just downsize the snufflers/pile them together so i can hedge my bets on mainly buffing one unit. With that I would also be able to move that unit with ahnd of mork, to shore up the difference in movement.

1 hour ago, Filie said:

Hope I'm not spamming the thread or anything; but after some time fiddling with lists and with some soul searching i've come up with:

Heroes:

Skragrott the loon king

Loonboss on Mangler squigs w/ The Clammy Cowl

Loonboss on Cave Squig

Madcap Shaman w/ moonface mommet

3x6 Squigherd

15x Boingrot Bounderz

2x10 squig hoppers

3x5 Sneaky Snufflers

Squig rider stampede

Chronomatic Cogs

Tot: 1990

Your list is alittle disjointed with the snufflers, its 210pts that dont really do much in a squig build. I would either only have 1 unit or none at all, as squigs arent really benefitiing from more attacks when most of the damage comes from the MWs and dog piling everything in to an always strikes last target. Now this is really just my view but i think Squigs need Skraggrot the least out of all the subfaction.... He is great but he isnt an auto unclude for them. If you removed the 15 snufflers and him thats 430pts to get something more beneficial to Squig builds. As some one else mentioned you need to do something about thats 3 units of 6 herd, they will not hold objectives very well. You kill 1 and you have a high chance of losing more. Again i would either combine them into a big squad to go have fun with the enemies line or swap them out for more Hoppers. 

The Moonface Mommet is probably not needed too, he will have a hard time catching up to the squigs and the enemy to drop the debuff on them, i would swap him out for the Fungoid. Keep Cogs as it will make the squigs quicker and maybe take morks mushroom to level the playing field vs hordes. For your backline objectives take a block of grots, they will last longer than squig herd and atleast youll get half back after.

Just my thoughts. Oh and Gryph Feather Charm instead of Clammy Cowl.

Edited by Ekrund Oath Splitters

3 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

Your list is alittle disjointed with the snufflers, its 210pts that dont really do much in a squig build. I would either only have 1 unit or none at all, as squigs arent really benefitiing from more attacks when most of the damage comes from the MWs and dog piling everything in to an always strikes last target. Now this is really just my view but i think Squigs need Skraggrot the least out of all the subfaction.... He is great but he isnt an auto unclude for them. If you removed the 15 snufflers and him thats 430pts to get something more beneficial to Squig builds. As some one else mentioned you need to do something about thats 3 units of 6 herd, they will not hold objectives very well. You kill 1 and you have a high chance of losing more. Again i would either combine them into a big squad to go have fun with the enemies line or swap them out for more Hoppers.  

The Moonface Mommet is probably not needed too, he will have a hard time catching up to the squigs and the enemy to drop the debuff on them, i would swap him out for the Fungoid. Keep Cogs as it will make the squigs quicker and maybe take morks mushroom to level the playing field vs hordes. For your backline objectives take a block of grots, they will last longer than squig herd and atleast youll get half back after. 

Just my thoughts. Oh and Gryph Feather Charm instead of Clammy Cowl.

Ah that's fair!

I really do want to bring Skragrott but I do realize that the bad moon and him by extension aren't that great f or a squig list.

I don't know, maybe i'm just being really inefficient when it comes to not bringing stabbas and not fully comitting to a squig list.

1 minute ago, Filie said:

Ah that's fair!

I really do want to bring Skragrott but I do realize that the bad moon and him by extension aren't that great f or a squig list.

I don't know, maybe i'm just being really inefficient when it comes to not bringing stabbas and not fully comitting to a squig list.

I think all lists will need stabbas, just because of the loonshrine. I dont want to and i will do a list and yet you guys know how it goes but i think the numbers they add is crucial sadly....

5 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

I think all lists will need stabbas, just because of the loonshrine. I dont want to and i will do a list and yet you guys know how it goes but i think the numbers they add is crucial sadly....

Yeah probably, that loonshrine's bonus is insanely strong, especially in conjunction with how well the grots receive buffs.