AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

2 hours ago, Mayple said:

@Malakree

What do you think about the Gobbapalooza wizards?

Shroomancer seems great because he has a great debuff.  I think he will really help with harder targets,

Spiker giving rerolls of 1s can really buff up a unit of Stabbas or Spears. Alongside Sporesplatta's Frenzy and the Snuffler Squigs, he seems to be able to make some melee grots dead-killy.

Boggleye has a good spell. Either makes a unit immune to battleshock (which can be helpful with our low bravery), or makes one unit fight last (which pairs well with units we don't want getting hit back). The second effect can also be done by Itchy Nuisance it seems, so maybe if you just want that effect a normal shaman might be better.

Scaremonger allows rerolls to runs and charges, but only to Moonclan Grots. It's neat.

Brewgit is a bit of an oddball. I don't like that his buff is limited to Moonclan Grot Heroes, which means his can only really help people like on foot Loonbosses or Zarbag in combat. As far as I can tell he cannot help Squig Riding Loonbosses which is what limits him the most.

25 minutes ago, dirkdragonslayer said:

Boggleye has a good spell. Either makes a unit immune to battleshock (which can be helpful with our low bravery), or makes one unit fight last (which pairs well with units we don't want getting hit back). The second effect can also be done by Itchy Nuisance it seems, so maybe if you just want that effect a normal shaman might be better.

Worth mentioning if you have him and another shaman then you can hit two enemies with this effect.

12 hours ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

In a pure squig context it is. 🤣 i wont be taking stabbas in my army even if that weakens my list. As cool as the regenerating stabbas are and all there mean combos that they can get i can imagine playing a horde like that could get quite boring after a while. I had the same experience with my DoK, and ive always gone for the more elite side of O&Gs and Black Orcs were my thing back in Fantasy and i was often outnumbered haha!

Boring?

sir I’m sorry to inform you but playing a horde armie which fits the lore of  the armie your playing, never gets boring.

I have been playing Skaven for ages now and the only reason they bored me was when I played them after 1clan.

Especially low model count elite clans like Skyre right now, are one of the things I just do not enjoy. They lack what really makes the skaven so unic, which is why I only played them ones on their own  and afterwards never again.

44 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

Why run the numbers on all grots attacking?  I think that really gives a skewed opinion of the unit to some people since you are unlikely to ever get a full unit to attack - ever.  I would either run the numbers in sets of 10 grots attacking or as a block of 20-25.  The 20-25 is generally what you will most likely get engaged in most combats for a large unit with spears against many opponents.  Or if you do the math in 10s and keep the fractional remainder in the final result you can expand that out for a variety of situations.

I'm not arguing the math you generated - but more the value of a best case vacuum situation that nobody is likely to ever really pull off.  Sorry, this is my engineer side taking over.  Theoretical max values don't mean much compared to the real-world situations that pop up the vast majority of the time.

So I know it's not exactly perfect but that's why I'm taking the 80/90% mark for reliability as that puts in a low ball estimate. Then if you say "if i have 1/3rd attack I should do 1/3rd the damage" the errors which occur are also contained within that estimate.

So loosely take however many grots then just divide it down. Only problem is if you get sub 30 grots in the unit but then the whole combo falls apart anyway.
There's also a little bit off wiggle because you can take swords use the 1" attack range with +1 to hit and have your 9 netters behind to get a combination of both weapons but that becomes highly technical from a gameplay perspective and not something people are going to want to do for 60 grots.

55 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

In regards to the Gobapalooza, I the thing that I don't like currently about them is that the Brewgit appears to have very limited targets for his ability since it seems to require Moonclan Grot Hero as the target condition. 

34 minutes ago, novakai said:

he can allow a hero to reroll their Range attacks too, of course the only relevant hero for that is the Loonking and Skarsnik with his swingy d6 attack prodder, it still weak but it probably the most relevant use.

I feel like you're really going to have to run him with a Loonboss using some sort of artefact. Least the wizards bring an unbind each, again though they feel like an expensive version of Skragrott. The combination of RRH with Skragrott's hand cannon is pretty solid that only further pushes you into a Moonclan Grot focused list just due to your lack of other battleline. In that regard Skragortt might be the perfect target for those two abilities, at least early in the game, when you want to try and put wounds onto something like Morathi and ensure the bleed lands.

29 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

I honestly would not overly mind if they reworded him so his buff only affected the grot and not a mount and then they expanded him to work on most heroes.  Obviously his buff would be better if it worked on all the attacks of a model, but I think what bothers me the most is just how few targets the buff has.

I feel that's by design to further disincentivize taking the Gobbapalooza if you aren't running a Moonclan Grot focused force. If you look at what different lists the book has in it.

• Moonclan Grots
  • Moonclan Squigs
  • Spiderfang Grots
  • Troggoths
  • Mixed list

The Gobbapalooza is in a lot of ways the Loonboss on Giant Squig but for the other half of the Moonclan, it offers some cool and quite strong bonuses at a great price IF you are going for a primarily Moonclan Grot force. In that regard I appreciate it because it stops the Grots from becoming the poor mans battleline, showing up only to support mixed lists. I mean I know it's not a cool entirely new shiny thing but it must be stated there is quite a strong Moonclan Grot list in the battletome.

Heroes - 630
Skragrott, The Loonking (220)
Loonboss with Giant Squig (100)

Fungoid Cave Shaman (90)
Fungoid Cave Shaman (90)
Zarbag (160)

Battleline - 620
60 x Stabbas (360)
20 x Shootas (130)
20 x Shootas (130)
And Gitz (0)

Units - 430
5 x Gobbapalooza
 (240)
5 x Sporesplatta Fanatics (120)
5 x Sneaky Snufflers (70)

Battalions/Endless Spells - 290
Skulkmob Horde (160)
Morks Mighty Mushrooms (80)

Scrapskuttle's Arachnocauldron (50)

This gives you a bucketload of spells each turn, good wounds/board coverage etc.

44 minutes ago, Ramda said:

Hey guys, I'm just wondering why boinggrots and hoppers doesn't have "grot" keyword. :(

(It makes these unit can't hide fanatics)

Most other units (like mournfang) have both keyword.

I think GW just missed it. What do you think?

99810209013_SquigHoppersNEW01.jpg

I think becouse it would be not logical to fanatics hiding in squig units.

2 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

Worth mentioning if you have him and another shaman then you can hit two enemies with this effect.

I didn't think of that. I guess it isn't the same spell so rule of 1 doesn't affect casting both versions. Could be a neat combo with fanatics. Force two enemy units to attack last, Fanatics always fight first so they can butcher one not debuffed unit while two other have to wait and watch.

6 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Boring?

sir I’m sorry to inform you but playing a horde armie which fits the lore of  the armie your playing, never gets boring.

I have been playing Skaven for ages now and the only reason they bored me was when I played them after 1clan.

Especially low model count elite clans like Skyre right now, are one of the things I just do not enjoy. They lack what really makes the skaven so unic, which is why I only played them ones on their own  and afterwards never again.

As on old time Ork player in 40k along with guard and then Orcs and Goblins in fantasy as well as skaven, red crested skinks, and zombie (i had all the models to add for summoning, i didnt just put dice by them to represent how big the unit was like most players back then) crazy armies and then in AoS i expanded my Dark Elf army to be fully DoK, 90 witches which doesnt sound alot in goblin/skaven terms but it still is, i can tell you horde play styles can and will get mighty boring after a few decades. Ironjaws were a nice refreshment in that i could play my lovely orcs in a way were i wasnt having a 4hr long game. Now i love hordes, but i cant play them 24/7. I will frequently flutter across from Moonclan, squig and troll armies with this book, that way i am not burning myself out with the endless green tide every time i play.

Some days you just want to use your Megaboss to cave in a Mangler Squigs head with his bare hands, other days you want a more relaxed and slower game with goblins. Going to many 40k events with the old greentide, i can ensure you that your games will drag time out, im lucky if i get past turn 3. My Dark Eldar or Skitarii armies however go through phases so quick and i usually get to have all 5 turns of the game maybe even 6.

*I played Clan Rictus so i even had goblin slaves in my army to share the love! 🤣 the problem with skyre now in AoS is that they dont have there old units, its a big emphasize on taking Stormfiends which back then werent a thing until the end times.  And thats the problem with Skaven as a whole, they are too fragmented as a race, Being Clan Mors doesnt mean you dont have slaves and clan rats, same with Skyre or Moulder. Once the Skaven get there joint book they will most likely be more like GG in army style. 

Edited by Ekrund Oath Splitters
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, mmmbbb3 said:

did GW stop selling doomdivers and other grot artillery? can't find them*_*

Actually i can't fin ANY gitmob, they aren't even sold out, just gone, does anyone know where they have gone? are they even in the gloomspite book?

54 minutes ago, mmmbbb3 said:

Actually i can't fin ANY gitmob, they aren't even sold out, just gone, does anyone know where they have gone? are they even in the gloomspite book?

Nope, Gitmob aren't in the Gloomspite book (and neither are Sourbreath Troggoths). The entire range has been removed from the store during last month, starting with the Chariots and Wolfriders early December, and ending with the rest of the range the same day Preorders started. Some people think that they are being reboxed, but that doesn't make any sense to me. They aren't part of Gloomspite, and we have had them barely mentioned in any lore so far. A lot of those models were very old and dated (The wolves and chariots they rode are the same ones from 1989!) GW might have seen the expansion of the gobbo range as a good time to clear up space.

Edit: Also the new-ish plastic Gitmob Grot shaman is now being sold as a Gloomspite Madcap Shaman if you check it's rules and category. It's a fairly young sculpt and they probably don't want to throw out a perfectly good mold, especially when real Madcap Shamans are still sold in metal.

GW did say they are supporting all armies from the start of AoS into the future. What this means to me is that Gitmob will still have rules, they just aren't selling the models anymore. Now whether this means we will see Gitmob legacy rules or that they will still have points in GHB, I have no idea.

Edited by dirkdragonslayer
Forgot something

Couple of mistakes to note, firstly Im da Boss now Stab em up good only activates on 6s to wound and still makes the enemy unit roll to save in addition to the MW. Trolls hit on a 3+, to begin with he was rolling for a 4+. You cant bring back either unit of Fanatics, they arent Moonclan Grots.

Now just alittle insight into this batrep, we see just how hard it can be to harness the power of the Badmoon. This can mainly be explained by Owen's bad positioning. His Skitterstand Arok should of been placed to face the Lord Executioner and the 4 Glaive Wraith Stalkers. That way he would of got the buff to his spider venom (he rolled a few 5,s but no 6s) and wouldnt be fighting through a brick wall of 3 Spirit Wraiths that negate his buge bite attacks. Then he could of Hand of Gorked a Loonboss to join the Arok to cap the point.

The General Loonboss should of been more aggressive to reach the central zone, next to netters he has a native -2 to hit in CC so would of been quite resilient unless Ash rolled well with his FT rolls. The trolls seemed to have no purpose in the fight, once again the Spirit Wraiths just absorbed there damage slowly over time. I would of deployed them behind the Stabbas and whack the weaker chainrasps. Once that unit was destroyed, the Stabbas could then have pressed the advantage into the Spirit Wraiths and Hex Wraiths leaving the Trolls free to smash about the Guardian of Souls and Spirit Torment.

The Shootas didnt really do much this game, maybe it would of been better to have them as Stabbas. What i would change to the list is probably swap the Arok out for 10 Spider Riders saving 60pts and adding more wounds, attacks and movement and then swap out the non general Loonboss for a second caster which i would of taken a Fungoid for the better durability and the chance to gen CPs. The one General Loonboss gets to use his CA for free anyway on the one unit and then he can re-do it for a further CP on another unit within 24".

Overall i found Ash's army to be better written and constructed to Owen's who's looked like he just ran the contents of BFSP + alittle extra. However that first combat phase of the Loonsmashas was awful!!!! 21 attacks and getting like 4 hits! Change those dice, they were so bad! 

Edited by Ekrund Oath Splitters
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

So here's one for you GITZ...

Spiderfangs seem rather strong, however I am a TOTAL Aracnaphobe. The models seriously creep me out 😱

So I need a different "theme" for the models... What do people think would be good? I considered Deep-kin, as the sea creatures could make for cool riders - its just more if the scale matches up?

Any other thoughts?

1 hour ago, Charlo said:

Spiderfangs seem rather strong, however I am a TOTAL Aracnaphobe. The models seriously creep me out 😱

So I need a different "theme" for the models... What do people think would be good? I considered Deep-kin, as the sea creatures could make for cool riders - its just more if the scale matches up?

Any other thoughts?

Just bring squigs 

42 minutes ago, ChatBatFun said:

Just bring squigs 

This. If you can modify your squig hoppers to have bows, add the boing grot lances and maybe convert up a rabies type effect on the squigs as well as put them on the bigger base the spider fang come on. Then I doubt it will be an issue. 

I'm not sure what I want to do for my 2000pt army. There is alot to choose from

2 hours ago, Charlo said:

Any other thoughts?

Converting Spiderfang from Deepkin will be remarkably expensive. Spiders can come in groups of up to 30 Spider Riders and 3 Eels are 50 dollars each, so a full squad of 30 riders would set you back 500 dollars in eels alone.

One thing you can look at is an icy theme. Nomadic ice raider/viking grots! Instead of Spider Riders, use some Fenrisian Wolves with riders. If you can find some of the old Goblin Wolf Riders (sans the old derpy wolves) they would be perfect as riders. The larger Thunderwolf model could be used as a mount for the Scuttleboss. Replace the Arachnarok Spider with a big ice monster like the Stonehorns with some added goblin Howdah's and archers (And an appropriate sized base). You could use Gitmob models because they have a lot of furs and stuff, and are probably cheaper secondhand now since they aren't in the Gloomspite and might be discontinued.

Edit: And paint the wolves up like icy, sort of elemental beasts. Instead of deadly poison, their bites cause frostbite that can freeze a man solid.

Edited by dirkdragonslayer
Added more
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Gumbalina said:

Then the issue is what to use as the arachnarok ?

Alarielle beetle?

EDIT: Or use Maw-Krusha. It will be cheaper and you could also convert rider to Megaboss on Foot.

Edited by michu
  • LOVE IT! 1

4 hours ago, Charlo said:

Any other thoughts?

Squigs, centipedes, moving mushrooms.