AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

19 minutes ago, novakai said:

I think the Snuffler buff is for Moonclan units 

So ideally you deepstrike the Snuffler 9 inches away from the enemy, release 15 fanatics 3 inches away from the carrier, buff them with the Snufflers buff, and if you can get COGS off they just have to make an 4 inch charge, once you activate them in combat, they get 15 + 15 D6 attacks off ( Edit: if under the moon they get rerolling 1 to hit)

Would the snuffers class as moving though? Hand of Gork just says they cant move in the subsequent movement phase so i dunno its a grey area.

11 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

Isn't the max unit size 20 for Loonsmashas?  Go on, do it, I dare you!  :D

I'd been thinking along similar lines but with an Alpha Bunker element.  i.e. do it with 60 Stabbas. 

You will melt their front lines Turn 1, and their Turn 1 they have to spend killing the Fanatics (not hard!).  Then it's their Turn 2 before they even get to engage with your 60 Stabbas.  Lots of ways for them to be Battleshock Immune.  Should have a really good chance of pinning them until Turn 3, at which point you are miles ahead on Objectives...and then you recycle 30 Stabbas to nick the Objectives back from their depleted army :D

20 might be a stretch, but there is definitely a build with Deep Striking Smashas.

Max is 15 😉 20 would 480pts.. 😅🤣

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

Would the snuffers class as moving though? Hand of Gork just says they cant move in the subsequent movement phase so i dunno its a grey area.

Well the spell happen in the hero phase and you declare the snuffler buff during the movement phase where they find the mushroom, And I think Hand of Mork is considered a redeployment spell not movement. So I believe it should work

7 hours ago, Caladancid said:

I am not sure what point you are trying to make.  In my post you quoted, I specifically say its about the Old World.

Also, in the absence of lore in AoS, looking to the Old World seems to be better than nothing? That's like saying people couldn't read a novel about Khorne/Nurgle in the Old World and translate some of that to AoS.

And it's great book,too! Highly recommend to read it! I have read it maybe 3-4 times and probably re-read again inside a month! (After I read Black Company series again and maybe P.I.Garret series, that should take couple weeks)

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, novakai said:

I think the Snuffler buff is for Moonclan units 

So ideally you deepstrike the Snuffler 9 inches away from the enemy, release 15 fanatics 3 inches away from the carrier, buff them with the Snufflers buff, and if you can get COGS off they just have to make an 4 inch charge, once you activate them in combat, they get 15 + 15 D6 attacks off ( Edit: if under the moon they get rerolling 1 to hit)

But the movement phase happens before the charge phase, and the fanatics can only be released at the start of the charge phase, so how would you buff them exactly?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Mayple said:

But the movement phase happens before the charge phase, and the fanatics can only be released at the start of the charge phase, so how would you buff them exactly?

Oh dammit, that goes my plan.

though I think deep striking unit with Fanatic in them for better charge distance is still pretty bonkers. Edit:15 D6 attack is still pretty nasty. I guess if you can instant gib your target and get the fanatic to survive next round you can buff them with snuffler. As unlikely it seems

Edited by novakai

15 minutes ago, Morhgoz said:

And it's great book,too! Highly recommend to read it! I have read it maybe 3-4 times and probably re-read again inside a month! (After I read Black Company series again and maybe P.I.Garret series, that should take couple weeks)

You've inspired me to read it again.

If you are on a Glen Cook kick, I just read Passage at Arms and thought it was fantastic.

So obviously the Loonshrine is going to be an auto-take in ever GG list.

How does terrain placement actually work in tournament/casual settings? I don't think I've ever played against a faction with their own terrain to place.

Does the owning player get to place it, and just wherever they want?

20 minutes ago, ajax_xaja said:

How does terrain placement actually work in tournament/casual settings? I don't think I've ever played against a faction with their own terrain to place.

It probably works exactly how the Beasts of Chaos Herdstone works.

28 minutes ago, ajax_xaja said:

you get to place it but probably only in your deployment zone

while review the Brewgit again I think wording on his warscroll allows a Moonclan hero to reroll hit roll for range attacks as well as melee. so you can use it on the Skargrott or the Loonboss with the Moon-prodder. Obviously the Loonboss on Mangler squig is still the best guy to use it on if you can get within it 18'' range.

Jesus this thread is moving quickly. Go to bed, get up and it's gone 8+ pages...

What do people thing about a triple battalion Moonclan Skrap, it seems as though it could have some hilarious tricks in terms of buffing up a unit of 60 Stabbas then lulzing into the opponents face.

Leaders - 320
Loonboss (70)
Loonboss (70)
Loonboss (70)
Madcap Shaman (80)

Battleline - 620
60 x Stabbas (360)
20 x Shootas (130)
20 x Shootas (130)

Units - 730
Brewgit, Spider, Boggleye, Shroomancer, Scaremonger (240)
5 x Sporesplatta Fanatics (120)
5 x Sneaky Snufflers (70)

Battalions - 390
Gobbapalooza (110)
Skulkmob Horde (160)
Moonclan Skrap (120)

Total - 1970

The amount of buffs you can put on that unit of 60 is pretty silly and you get 3 command point and FOUR artefacts 🤣

2 minutes ago, FPC said:

Any word on what the dead goblin on a base that appears with Fanatics and Skragrott is for? Just aesthetic I guess?

Seems to be...the unit size is 5, so I'm thinking it's just a bit of fun or an Objective marker.

The other use that I can see for it is to take GW at their word, and use it as a Citadel Miniature.

Anyone who had 3 Fanatics before can buy 2 x boxes of 6 = 12 

Plus their existing 3 = 15

So if you already had 3 old ones, and buy 2 boxes, you're bumping it up to a whole extra unit of 5

4 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

So if you already had 3 old ones, and buy 2 boxes, you're bumping it up to a whole extra unit of 5

You'd still need to get 2 more 32mm bases though (well thats not that hard I suppose). And really if you really want cheap fanatics, you could easily give a normal moonclan grot some flails (like ones from chaos marauders)

1 hour ago, Malakree said:

Jesus this thread is moving quickly. Go to bed, get up and it's gone 8+ pages...

What do people thing about a triple battalion Moonclan Skrap, it seems as though it could have some hilarious tricks in terms of buffing up a unit of 60 Stabbas then lulzing into the opponents face.

The amount of buffs you can put on that unit of 60 is pretty silly and you get 3 command point and FOUR artefacts 🤣

seem like a solid list, if you want use up that last 30pts you can swap one of the Loonboss with the Loon boss with Giant cave squig at 100pts,I think he counts for the battalion requirement since he has the Loonboss keyword

4 minutes ago, novakai said:

seem like a solid list, if you want use up that last 30pts you can swap one of the Loonboss with the Loon boss with Giant cave squig at 100pts,I think he counts for the battalion requirement since he has the Loonboss keyword

Yep, other option is to throw a Loonsmasha fanatics in the unit of 60 :D 

8 minutes ago, TheMuphinMan said:

Not sure if this has been addressed but the squig riders/herders and both type of fanatics lost the Grot keyword. Do you think this is a typo or deliberate so  loonsmasha fanatics can only hid in stabbas and shootas?

That is a great catch which I totally hadn't picked up on. I suspect you are correct that it's a deliberate design choice to stop you using Squig Hoppers to deliver a massive quantity of fanatics, thus differentiating the different types of Gloomspite armies.

More importantly it means things like the Sporesplata Fanatics, Spiker, Scaremonger can't be used to buff them. Also note that it means the Loonboss on Mangler Squigs cannot be buffed to reroll all hits with Brewgit

This means that there are definately two types of Moonclan armies, Squig and Grot armies.

3 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

Yep, it feels a little stingy to me personally. 

Is this the first time a model + mount haven't had the keywords for both? 

It would be like Enlightened on Disc not having Daemon, or Archaon not being Mortal.

So I have a few thoughts on it. It limits the amount of unintended interactions and allows them to specifically target Squigs, Grots or Moonclan. That's annoying because you can't use the RR on the ManglerBoss but at the same time it means they can increase the power of some buffs knowing that it's only hitting a few specific units.

The reroll on Moonclan Grot Heroes being the perfect example. If that spell can be used on a ManglerBoss then it's powerlevel goes through the roof, by stopping that interaction they can pitch it at a level where it's strong for the other Grot Heroes without worrying about the fact your 300 point monster hero just became overpowered. 

A second example would be the Spiteful Prodder artefact, because the Squig Hoppers don't have the Grot keyword they actually don't interact with this item. If they did you could take a bunch of 90 point units and turn that item into a gattling cannon which deletes things by sprinting across the board with it. Given the tiny bases of the Squig Hoppers the amount of units you could fit into that 12" bubble is incredibly high. On the other hand the cheapest way to do it now is to use Spiderfang Grots which are not only more expensive but have much larger bases and can't fly.

From a design perspective it makes a ton of sense and allows them to better pitch each ability/artefact at a specific level without having to worry about some of the more horrific combos which have appeared in previous books.

It makes sense, but I don't like that we are the guinea pigs for it. 

Giving buffs to a Mangler Squig doesn't seem to me any worse than a Bloodsecrator Banner giving extra incredibly high quality attacks to big things instead of Bloodreavers.

Most books are packed to the brim with unintended interactions that over time just become completely absorbed into the standard tech for that army.  This book has been a long time coming, and frankly I enjoy exploring bent interactions!

1 hour ago, PlasticCraic said:

Seems to be...the unit size is 5, so I'm thinking it's just a bit of fun or an Objective marker.

The other use that I can see for it is to take GW at their word, and use it as a Citadel Miniature.

Anyone who had 3 Fanatics before can buy 2 x boxes of 6 = 12 

Plus their existing 3 = 15

What if you had about 30+ before?