AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

Oh man this is a tough one. At first I was really excited about the Troggoths. But the more I read and for every picture I see I think that Grots and Squigs are the way to go for me. But I'm not sure if I should pick up this army or not. Idoneth deepkin models look better but the Gloomspite gitz seems more fun to play and really remind me of my youth and I get really nostalgic. 

Holy gods that mushroom is a horde killer.

The arachnocauldren sweet jebus you can ally a Gloomspite gitz hero into your army, cast the Arachnocauldren then have access to all the Moonclan spells. THE FUNGOID IS A GLOOMSPITE WHO CAN BE ALLIED INTO ANY DESTRUCTION FACTION.

This is game changing

EDIT: 

6 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

Squig hoppers also get the MW charge affect that the boingrots have, shootas and stabbers are no different in rules except +1 to hit with bows with 15 + models and  backstabbing mob is now 15 min not 20.

• Actually if you read it it's significantly worse than the Boingrots MW output.
  • Squigs got way better, fact the herders are included in the unit is amazing
  • Scuttletide is fantastic for spiderfang, it's good for a variety of reasons
  • Fanatics lost the enemy turn charge but got fights first which is brutal as sin with their stats
  • Loonshrine makes at least some units of Moonclan grots mandatory. I expect most armies will have 3 units of 20
  • Shootas are alright. Depends on cost. If they are still battleline they are your home territory defenders.
  • If the +attacks from various leaders stack onto fanatics, oh jebus.
Edited by Malakree

8 minutes ago, Malakree said:

The arachnocauldren sweet jebus you can ally a Gloomspite gitz hero into your army, cast the Arachnocauldren then have access to all the Moonclan spells. THE FUNGOID IS A GLOOMSPITE WHO CAN BE ALLIED INTO ANY DESTRUCTION FACTION.

This is game changing

I actually like all the endless spells except the scuttletide. The Arachnpcauldren is amazing for the loonking! Under the badmoon he has a +3 to cast and unbind!!! MENTAL. The Morks Mushroom is crazy at deleting hordes and i like the Malevolent moon as its quite good at shutting down casters! These are way better than the BoC and Night Haunt ones by far.

Edited by Ekrund Oath Splitters

9 minutes ago, Amradiel said:

Oh man this is a tough one. At first I was really excited about the Troggoths. But the more I read and for every picture I see I think that Grots and Squigs are the way to go for me. But I'm not sure if I should pick up this army or not. Idoneth deepkin models look better but the Gloomspite gitz seems more fun to play and really remind me of my youth and I get really nostalgic. 

Personally i dont like the look of the deepkin. Flying blind fish just looks abit stupid to me, and the thralls weapons are massive compared to themselves. I only like the look of the tidecaster and the reavers.

• Like 1

For the endless spells, they are all pretty low cast value spells that have interesting abilities and some drawbacks

the Aracknocardron has a +1 casting/unbinding for the wizard that summons it plus it then knows all the spell from the Moonclan lore, the thing is always 1'' away from the caster and every hero phase it must do d3 mortal wounds to any one unit within 3'' of the caster, if no unit is in range the caster suffer d3 damage. 

Mork's Mushroom seems like a stationary spell that affect every model in a unit ( including your own ) in 8'' of the mushroom, roll a dice every model and on a 5+ it does a mortal wounds.

The Malevolent Moon is a predatory spell that does D3 mortal wounds on a 2+ for every unit it passes though, in addition it subtracts 1 casting rolls of wizards within 8'' and 2 within 3''.

Scuttletide is pretty much like quicksilver swords you pick a unit and roll 6 dice and on a 5 up you do a mortal wound, However in addition it does damage it damage effect every time a unit moves or charge within 6 of the model. Spiderfang are immune to the damage.

Edited by novakai

16 minutes ago, Malakree said:

This is game changing

EDIT: 

• Actually if you read it it's significantly worse than the Boingrots MW output.
  • Scuttletide is fantastic for spiderfang, it's good for a variety of reasons
  • Fanatics lost the enemy turn charge but got fights first which is brutal as sin with their stats
  • Loonshrine makes at least some units of Moonclan grots mandatory. I expect most armies will have 3 units of 20
  • Shootas are alright. Depends on cost. If they are still battleline they are your home territory defenders.
  • If the +attacks from various leaders stack onto fanatics, oh jebus.

So it is! I just skimmed over it and saw 4+ to MW, however they have a 3d6 move instead of 2d6 that the boingrots have so they can still leap over units to get the MWs off, especially with a run (and charge with the bad moon). 4D6 should be enough clearance to boing over a unit and seeing how these will be battleline for us with Loonbosses on Manglers i dont think its that bad. You can weaken a unit with these with a boing and then charge in with your boingrots and inflict some more mortal wounds.

The Fanatics dont have the Grot keyword so they cant get the +1 attack buff off the other fanatic variant, we dont know if the sneaky snufflers also only target Grots only and we dont know what brewgits do yet.

5 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

Personally i dont like the look of the deepkin. Flying blind fish just looks abit stupid to me, and the thralls weapons are massive compared to themselves. I only like the look of the tidecaster and the reavers.

Thats allright 😊 I think that the Eidolon of Mathlann is one of the best models made in years. 

9 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Cave Squigs are about the same as before except that the Herder bonuses are inherent to the unit and do not depend on keeping a separate unit in proximity (which made getting both the charge bonus and +1 to hit bonus tough).  I greatly appreciate this.  I liked the idea of a buffing herder unit, but the previous implementation was just annoying to use.  In addition, I like that they gave the Cave Squigs the attack statline from Hoppers.  It's really personal preference but I prefer extra attacks upfront on Squigs rather than extra damage (although I might eat those words if +attack buffs become very common).

I like the different ability for MW damage for the Hoppers.  I think it thematically helps differentiate the two units and both of them can be useful.  Squig Herds can still inflict damage if you need to run them across the board onto objectives while the Bounders are going to want to charge into combat as much as they can.  Thematically it makes sense for the veteran knights to actually control their squigs and be trying to fight with them while the other grots are just bouncing all over and doing their best to simply hold on.

So far I really like all of the changes that I have seen for the various squig units.  Squigs/Herders got a nice quality of life buff, Bounders are a nice combat unit, Mangler is a total wrecking ball, and Hoppers seem like they are versatile.  Now I just want to see the Boss on Giant Squig and the Boss with pet Great Squig.

8 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

I like the flying sharks - I was just sad to see the warscroll was really bland.  I would have started an all-shark & turtles army if the Shark was simply more interesting than it is.

17 minutes ago, Malakree said:

This is game changing

the D3 damage is a bit of a drawback, but it a workable one (using Gnoblar as a sacrificial unit in a Gutbuster army for example)

Just now, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

but... but... you hate elves.... Skabnoze are you betraying us?! 😭

I made no mention of Elves, just Sharks and Turtles - which are both awesome.  Who says that I need to ruin those things by glueing icky elves onto them?

Maybe I could make my Greenskin army into Orruks of the Sea?

• Like 2

Just now, Skabnoze said:

I made no mention of Elves, just Sharks and Turtles - which are both awesome.  Who says that I need to ruin those things by glueing icky elves onto them?

Maybe I could make my Greenskin army into Orruks of the Sea?

Glue mermaid grots on them? 🤣😉 theyd look fabulous with long flowing hair!

• Haha 1

99020209013_SpiderfangStalktribe01.jpg Terrifying Battalion for the Spiderfang.

Gitmob grotz confirmed rolled into Gloomspite

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls/AoS_Gloomspite_Gitz_WSCards_Madcap_Shaman.pdf

Night Shroud: The shaman throws a black-capped nightshade mushroom into the air, which bursts to form a cloud of pitch blackness. Night Shroud has a casting value of 5. If successfully cast, pick 1 friendly unit wholly within 12" of the caster that is visible to them. Until your next hero phase, subtract 1 from hit rolls for attacks made with missile weapons that target that unit.

Oh wow that spell is awesome, great potential allies choice.

• The different arachnarok options are all now useful. The one with no riders can ambush! SUPRISE SPIDER BUTSEXX, Flinger forces an opponents unit to fight last on a 6+ 
  • Fungoid save increased to a 4+ and gives you an extra CP on a 4+ in your hero phase.....Sadly he's lost his command ability
  • Troggs confirmed now on a 4+ to heal rather than a 2+

6 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

If you loose your unit of shootas, just have them pop back up through the loonshrine!

As an allies option, you can ally in the Moonclan spell list into another destruction faction using an ally. Personally I see Skragrott+arachnocauldren being a staple allies choice for the Orruk factions while Fungoid+arachnocauldren is a great option for magic in the Ogor factions.

EDIT: One interesting thing to note is that with all the different +attacks you can now throw onto a unit of stabbas the MW on unmodified roll of a 6 to wound might not actually be so terrible. Especially when you consider all the extra command points a Gloom-spite army can generate.

Edited by Malakree

8 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

The scuttleboss' command ability has now changed, reroll to charge and reroll to hit with the spears, his spear now does MWs too. Spider riders also lost there shields.

Shaman can be fielded on foot and it's spell lets a spiderfang unit run and Shoot.

This book looks like a huge boost to all spiderfang varieties.

EDIT: It's run and shoot not run and charge, sad.

Edited by Malakree

Grots now have specific rules for how many banners & icons you can have in a unit.  That is useful.  It also means that if you take min units you have to choose between a single banner or a single icon.  If you take larger units you can have both.  I like that.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Shaman can be fielded on foot and it's spell lets a spiderfang unit run and charge.

This book looks like a huge boost to all spiderfang varieties.

Do you have the pdf link to the spiderfang shaman on foot, i cant find it.

Cool little thing, the shaman on Arok with the cauldron and badmoon gets +3 to cast, so on a roll of a 7 will get to choose d3 spiderfang units to get double mortal wounds + the 5 MW generation from the badmoon. And then if hes your general you get +2 bravery too. Pretty cool for spiderfang 

Just now, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

Do you have the pdf link to the spiderfang shaman on foot, i cant find it 

Yeah I don't have access to the Boss on Spider, the Arachnarok+Shaman or the Loonboss on Squig.

Feels like someone messed up and released it early...