AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

5 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

Well a gargant is probably too drunk enough to understand using cover haha!! 🤣🤣

Maybe Gargants aren't even that dumb.  Maybe they just drink too much alcohol  all the time and this is why they are always so dumb and don't know what they are doing. 

Maybe they even read Kant, Nietzsche or Adorno in the evening drinking a bottle of wine and when they have to fight they are soo drunk that they can only say things, like "Smash!" or "I want to crush things!"

Maybe Gargants are just misunderstood alcoholic philosophers.

Edited by Infeston

Just now, Infeston said:

Maybe Gargants aren't even dumb. The just drink too much alcohol and this is why they are always dumb. 

Maybe they read Kant, Nietzsche or Adorno in the evening drinking a bottle of wine and when they have to fight they are soo drunk that they can only say things, like "Smash!" or "I want to crush things!"

Well they used to be sky titans back in the old lore until the ogres started nomming them! The big ironblaster the gutbusters have was one of the gargants weapons. They were once smart and civilised, not anymore. A shadow of there former selves...

1 minute ago, Infeston said:

Maybe Gargants aren't even dumb. They just drink too much alcohol and this is why they are always dumb and don't know what they are doing. 

Maybe they read Kant, Nietzsche or Adorno in the evening drinking a bottle of wine and when they have to fight they are soo drunk that they can only say things, like "Smash!" or "I want to crush things!"

They are secret masters of Drunk Fu, when they fall down instead of charging that's because there's a stray artillery shot which they just had to dodge!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Malakree said:

One of my comments would be, I can see a Troggboss getting Lookout Sir! from another unit of Troggoths. Thus the "lookout sir" rule is a kind of a broad way to create a rule which represents something which in reality is a lot more situational.

On the other side of it I can completely see a Trogboss crawling through trees or caves in order to hide from the enemy.

Fair enough, it is all subjective.

For me, I can't see a Troll of any kind blocking a cannon-ball with anything other than their face.

I also cannot envision a Troll understanding the concept of hiding.  If they go into a cave or forest I just assume it is either because they stupidly stumbled in that direction or something delicious caught their eye (such as the first thing they saw).

2 minutes ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

Well they used to be sky titans back in the old lore until the ogres started nomming them! The big ironblaster the gutbusters have was one of the gargants weapons. They were once smart and civilised, not anymore. A shadow of there former selves...

Ah. Yes! I remember reading something like that in one of the old books. Either 6th edition or 8th edition.

1 minute ago, Realmhead said:

Sorry if this has been covered already, but the resist magic ability on the Trogboss warscroll doesn't explicitly say enemy spells, so does that mean he has to roll to resist friendly ones as well?

"You CAN roll" meaning it doesn't have to but can.

2 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

Fair enough, it is all subjective.

For me, I can't see a Troll of any kind blocking a cannon-ball with anything other than their face.

I also cannot envision a Troll understanding the concept of hiding.  If they go into a cave or forest I just assume it is either because they stupidly stumbled in that direction or something delicious caught their eye (such as the first thing they saw).

I always envision them being sentient and capable of speech/thought. Like a group of Freeguild are camping in a forest and it pans around to a Troggoth slowly crawling through the forest to catch some of those tasty morsels before they get to their boomsticks.

I’ve got a question for the general community. Two of today’s model previews (the troggboss and mangler squig boss) state that these units unlock new battleline options (troggs and squig hoppers respectively). In AoS does that mean if those models are your commander, then you get additional battleline options? Does that therefore mean I can have a general destruction list with a Troggboss as my general and use troggs as my battleline instead of grots or standard orruks? Or will I also have to be gloomspite allegiance?

i ask because I have never seen a unit grant battleline status,just allegiances granting battleline status (I.e. ironjawz allegiance for ardboys battleline). 

4 minutes ago, Malakree said:

I always envision them being sentient and capable of speech/thought. Like a group of Freeguild are camping in a forest and it pans around to a Troggoth slowly crawling through the forest to catch some of those tasty morsels before they get to their boomsticks.

I am probably just a bit long in the tooth is all.  That is how Tolkien trolls are and maybe that is how troggoths are in AoS now.  I would not mind that.

I still think of them like in the Old World where trolls were generally so stupid that they could barely manage to breath & eat and would stare blankly at a rock for hours on end.  The only ones that seemed possibly capable of speech were the Trolls in Bloodbowl - but that game was already it's own weird hybrid version of the Warhammer Old World.

In the Warhammer Old World a Troll would literally just stare stupidly at an incoming cannon-ball, fireball, or catapult rock and ponder what the thing that keeps getting larger is until it lands on them.  I am pretty sure their regeneration abilities and ability to eat literally anything were the only way that species managed to survive.

Edited by Skabnoze
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Jeah this is how I envisioned them as well. 

Similar to the Trolls from the Hobbit (sorry, another LOTR reference):

But maybe a little bit less talkative than the trolls in the video.

48 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

So I had put my Goblin army on hold ever since the rumors of a book started making the rounds.  I spend a lot of effort on conversions for almost every army that I play (its a tough habit to break) and my goblin army is probably my most time-intensive and all-time favorite.  I decided to wait until we had a clearer picture about what units would be in the army and any new models coming out before I went all-in again.  Now that the book is coming soon I am already getting my stuff out of storage and my hobby space prepared so that I can start as soon as the book hits.  I will probably start knocking out bases for the basic moonclan grots before that as I have a billion of them and I know they won't really change much.

I decided a while back that I would probably make a blog for it, and I think I would also like to make some tutorials for how I make cavern bases and various types of mushrooms (not just the ones that I purchase).  I spent a long time trying to figure out the best ways to theme bases as a fungal cavern and I don't mind sharing what I figured out if anyone else would be interested. 

Please do share all my old goblins and squigs are on 20mm square still and light he thought of rebasing fills me with dread, although once the book lands its gone no to happen 

Edited by Zambo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gothmaug said:

I’ve got a question for the general community. Two of today’s model previews (the troggboss and mangler squig boss) state that these units unlock new battleline options (troggs and squig hoppers respectively). In AoS does that mean if those models are your commander, then you get additional battleline options? Does that therefore mean I can have a general destruction list with a Troggboss as my general and use troggs as my battleline instead of grots or standard orruks? Or will I also have to be gloomspite allegiance?

i ask because I have never seen a unit grant battleline status,just allegiances granting battleline status (I.e. ironjawz allegiance for ardboys battleline). 

I think you have to have both.

Other examples are the Idoneth Akhelian King unlocks Sharks and Eels as battleline options and the Daughters of Khaine Medusa unlocks Melusai units (snake ladies) as battleline.  So this is not the first version of that.

7 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

I am probably just a bit long in the tooth is all.  That is how Tolkien trolls are and maybe that is how troggoths are in AoS now.  I would not mind that.

I still think of them like in the Old World where trolls were generally so stupid that they could barely manage to breath & eat and would stare blankly at a rock for hours on end.  The only ones that seemed possibly capable of speech were the Trolls in Bloodbowl - but that game was already it's own weird hybrid version of the Warhammer Old World.

They do have pretty sturdy faces though 🤣😉 In the history of Warhammer trolls they have always been dumb brutes that follow there stomaches, they get attracted to waaaghs because of the free food. They used to have the stupidity rule where they often just picked there noses and danced around in the meadows. I dont think they have the ability for complex speech, mainly just animalistic grunts. The only smart troll was Throgg.

I also remember a curse/disease called trollbrains that would make people quite stupid. 

Edited by Ekrund Oath Splitters

1 hour ago, Infeston said:

I don't know. I think 340-360 points would be a reasonable price for the Trogboss compared to other models. There are a lot of stronger units in the game which cost even less.  If you even compare the Trogboss with a Stonehorn or a Maw-Krusha a price of 360 still sounds reasonable. He also has only a 4+ save compared to other hero units which have a 3+ save.

I think 460 would be way too much, even with all the abilities he has.

Honestly I think 340 is still too much. I make a lot of comparisons to the Hag I know its a forgeworld model but its the only other Troggoth hero. The hag is 380 points has 2 more wounds, Spells, Ranged attacks, auto d6 heal, -1 to all enemy melee, better spell negation  and a higher move. I know the hag is a Monster and has a damage table but its insanely more powerfull at the start of the game than the Dankhold Troggboss

1 hour ago, Skabnoze said:

So I had put my Goblin army on hold ever since the rumors of a book started making the rounds.  I spend a lot of effort on conversions for almost every army that I play (its a tough habit to break) and my goblin army is probably my most time-intensive and all-time favorite.  I decided to wait until we had a clearer picture about what units would be in the army and any new models coming out before I went all-in again.  Now that the book is coming soon I am already getting my stuff out of storage and my hobby space prepared so that I can start as soon as the book hits.  I will probably start knocking out bases for the basic moonclan grots before that as I have a billion of them and I know they won't really change much.

I decided a while back that I would probably make a blog for it, and I think I would also like to make some tutorials for how I make cavern bases and various types of mushrooms (not just the ones that I purchase).  I spent a long time trying to figure out the best ways to theme bases as a fungal cavern and I don't mind sharing what I figured out if anyone else would be interested. 

I'm just like you in many ways... I have been thinking about putting out blog for my models and terrain stuff and we are both old timers (I did start at end of 4th/starth 5th edition FB period). And we both have ideas how to make stuff etc. So I will start blog and you start blog, yours being more of fungal cave stuff and mine more of shadowy Ulgu  stuff, in the shadows of Ulgu's elven lords.  Damn, that will be fun! I will follow your staff, I can quarantee that!

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

I thought the "wounds" limit was generally 10 for things like that.

Maybe but the Eidolons have 12 wounds, a bigger base yet don't have the keyword so it's not set in stone and especially not for the newer releases where high wounds and no monster/warmachine keywords are common. Both cauldrons have 13 wounds and neither keyword.

EDIT: @Realmhead It's cool, I did go and check when you brought it up ;)  Some of us are total Rules ******'s who enjoy gaming that kind of thing, I still laugh about the errata for Goregrunta's which turned up shortly after I pointed out that from a rules perspective you only had to make an 8" charge once and they had the D3 damage for the rest of the game 🤣

Edited by Malakree

5 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Maybe but the Eidolons have 12 wounds, a bigger base yet don't have the keyword so it's not set in stone and especially not for the newer releases where high wounds and no monster/warmachine keywords are common. Both cauldrons have 13 wounds and neither keyword.

Yeah, they don't seem to have a consistent theme and just sort of do whatever they want with any particular release.  To be honest, that is probably the best way to go about it rather than setting some limitation and feeling required to always stick to it.

43 minutes ago, Zambo said:

Please do share all my old goblins and squigs are on 20mm square still and light he thought of rebasing fills me with dread, although once the book lands its gone no to happen 

20mm squares work a treat if you simply mount them on a 25mm mdf base. Being thin, you can spray them brown or green or zandri dust and superglue them to the 20mm square. Quick, easy and doesn't look terrible

• Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Malakree said:

EDIT: @Realmhead It's cool, I did go and check when you brought it up ;)  Some of us are total Rules ******'s who enjoy gaming that kind of thing

I noticed it specifically on the first read 😜

I might not care that much about exploiting rule semantics, but as a programmer I tend to pick up on most of them as I read through since process flows & algorithms are what I do for a living.

• Haha 1