AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

43 minutes ago, amysrevenge said:

You know, after all this time ogling new grots, this is the first time it occurred to me that the Arachnarok Shaman would be getting a spell lore.  We truly live in the best of times.

I took a huge chance on a big lot of spiders not long ago. 40 riders, 2 arachnaroks, and a big boss on gigantic spider. I really, really feel that they will be a devastating force when the book is released. Mainly because of the spell lore, artefacts, and battalions they’ll get, but I’m also predicting a points drop for riders. We’ll see if I’m right (I’ve been bang on with most of my guesses so far with this release). 

• Like 1

Yeah I've got a few kicking around, I was delighted when they got rolled in.  I've got 1x A-Rok, 1 Boss and 10x Riders. 

So a detachment rather than an army...currently.

My biggest question is what the Allegiance Ability means for the Command Ability.  The new AA does the same as the current CA. 

Maybe the new CA will be +1 to Hit (since the Community Article talks about a 5+ and 6+, not "unmodified")?  Getting it proccing on 4+ (before debuffs).

The other way I'm hoping they might go is an Battleshock Immunity aura.  Losing those expensive models with their terrible bravery is crippling.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5kaven5lave said:

I know this is splitting hairs but isn’t the BS spell called ‘Hand of Gork (or Mork)’?

I don't think it's splitting hairs.

It's a different spell with a different name, a different casting value and a different effect.  

You could never cast both anyway because they rely on different Allegiances, but it is in no way a duplicate.

1 hour ago, amysrevenge said:

You know, after all this time ogling new grots, this is the first time it occurred to me that the Arachnarok Shaman would be getting a spell lore.  We truly live in the best of times.

Hey I mean they made the Dragon Ogor Shaggoth a wizard and gave them their own spell lore, anything is possible!

Except Magic Dwarfs!

Don't know if anyone else picked up on this but according to the Allegiance ability preview the Spider venom rule still does mortals on a 6+ still not the new AoS 2 standard "natural rolls of 6". This lets you drop the roll needed  by stacking +1's to hit but -1's will shut down your wonderful 8 legged beauties. Any one have any idea why this would be? I see now why the loonboss only buffs stabba's and shotta's.  

25 minutes ago, Fisher KIng said:

Don't know if anyone else picked up on this but according to the Allegiance ability preview the Spider venom rule still does mortals on a 6+ still not the new AoS 2 standard "natural rolls of 6". This lets you drop the roll needed  by stacking +1's to hit but -1's will shut down your wonderful 8 legged beauties. Any one have any idea why this would be? I see now why the loonboss only buffs stabba's and shotta's.  

Unless there are some changes to scrolls and/or spells, I don't believe there is a way to buff the hit rolls, other than the boss on gigantic spider's CA and the new allegiance ability which cause mortals on a 5+.  Debuffing the spiders will hurt, but outside of geminids, dryads, and plaguebearers, there aren't that many more - to hit debuffs running around (other than from grots/troggoths).

Their bravery is a bigger issue than the mortal wound output being shut down.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fisher KIng said:

Remember the Warhammer Community while highly affiliated with GW can get misinformed or phrase things in slightly wrong terminologies.

(Oof the BoC Chaos Mark issue with Raw vs Rai was problematic)

I mean it would be weird especially considering they changed Khorne Daemons recently.

1 hour ago, mcbrain said:

Unless there are some changes to scrolls and/or spells, I don't believe there is a way to buff the hit rolls, other than the boss on gigantic spider's CA and the new allegiance ability which cause mortals on a 5+.  Debuffing the spiders will hurt, but outside of geminids, dryads, and plaguebearers, there aren't that many more - to hit debuffs running around (other than from grots/troggoths).

Their bravery is a bigger issue than the mortal wound output being shut down.

You can count on most every Death/Nagash list to be running at least one -1 TH debuff spell.

EIther way,im thinking that the Arachnarok will become a staple in many competative lists.Now they can take a flat -1 to hit for incoming attacks(not just shooting) The Bad Moon effect triggering venom on a 5+ and the Shamans easy to cast spell doubling the mortal wound output on the poison.Also the 4 attacks from the fangs do not degrade,,so its 14 wounds behind a 4+ save with a to hit debuff  to take it down,,plus any other potential to hit debuffs that can be thrown in.Finally he has 2 spells and now a lore to choose from...

Wouldnt be surprised if they raised the point cost because all that at 280 is a steal.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Thostos said:

You can count on most every Death/Nagash list to be running at least one -1 TH debuff spell.

EIther way,im thinking that the Arachnarok will become a staple in many competative lists.Now they can take a flat -1 to hit for incoming attacks(not just shooting) The Bad Moon effect triggering venom on a 5+ and the Shamans easy to cast spell doubling the mortal wound output on the poison.Also the 4 attacks from the fangs do not degrade,,so its 14 wounds behind a 4+ save with a to hit debuff  to take it down,,plus any other potential to hit debuffs that can be thrown in.Finally he has 2 spells and now a lore to choose from...

Wouldnt be surprised if they raised the point cost because all that at 280 is a steal.

That or they changed the warscroll. Remember both are options ;) 

The A-Rok had access to all of them already, except the spell lore:

-1 to hit from the Gryph Feather charm (which also increase its stingy movement, i.e. the new artefact is strictly worse than what was already available)

Venom on a 5+ from the Boss Command Ability (used to be able to get it down to a 2+ under GH16!), which does not degrade

Spell is already on the warscroll, and is already a 2 spell caster 

The only thing that's new there is the spell lore.  Currently you cast his own spell, then either an endless spell or mystic shield.  

Given that you currently never really see them at competitive events, and the only thing that's new in that list is the access to a spell lore, I don't think a hike is inevitable or even required. 

Access to a spell lore will hopefully lift them from awesome 280 point model that you never see at events, to awesome 280 point model that is competitively viable.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

The A-Rok had access to all of them already, except the spell lore:

-1 to hit from the Gryph Feather charm (which also increase its stingy movement, i.e. the new artefact is strictly worse than what was already available)

Venom on a 5+ from the Boss Command Ability (used to be able to get it down to a 2+ under GH16!), which does not degrade

Spell is already on the warscroll, and is already a 2 spell caster 

The only thing that's new there is the spell lore.  Currently you cast his own spell, then either an endless spell or mystic shield.  

Given that you currently never really see them at competitive events, and the only thing that's new in that list is the access to a spell lore, I don't think a hike is inevitable or even required. 

Access to a spell lore will hopefully lift them from awesome 280 point model that you never see at events, to awesome 280 point model that is competitively viable.

Indeed,

Im just pointing out that,with the new Bad Moon ability,there is no need for the Spider Boss model at all,,and Gryph Feather locks a player into realm of beasts for artifacts(and spells if thats applicable) which may not be a problem for many,though could be nice having 2 heros with TH debuffs.

Certainly running a AK`s with a full Spiderfang list is now much more viable,,but im also seeing alot of benifits to just having a single AK as a solid distracting unit for a great price

• Like 1

For sure, I'm not saying he won't be strong - I'm really excited about using him :D

I just wouldn't be in a rush to see him nerfed / get a points hike.  He probably needed a lift, and now he's got one...itwould be great to see him being a really competitive choice, the model deserves it imo.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

For sure, I'm not saying he won't be strong - I'm really excited about using him :D

I just wouldn't be in a rush to see him nerfed / get a points hike.  He probably needed a lift, and now he's got one...itwould be great to see him being a really competitive choice, the model deserves it imo.

I'm bringing at least one and probably two to CanCon.

Also, I think the big boss on gigantic spider will probably be a requirement for the spiderfang battalion.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Thostos said:

Indeed,

Im just pointing out that,with the new Bad Moon ability,there is no need for the Spider Boss model at all,,and Gryph Feather locks a player into realm of beasts for artifacts(and spells if thats applicable) which may not be a problem for many,though could be nice having 2 heros with TH debuffs.

Certainly running a AK`s with a full Spiderfang list is now much more viable,,but im also seeing alot of benifits to just having a single AK as a solid distracting unit for a great price

Well first we don’t know if the boss ability will be changes or not.  But if he remains the same I don’t think he will be redundant with the badmoon ability.  The way I read that ability was that it only effected models in a board quadrant and the effected quadrant was only guaranteed on the first turn.  So at the least he would give you guaranteed access to that buff where and when you need it.

I think it is also worth pointing out that he is quite a good little combat hero for his cost.  He is easily the best non-behemoth grot combat character across all of the allegiances (that we currently know of).

• Like 4

9 hours ago, amysrevenge said:

I was running under the assumption that it was one spell lore for all... if they truly get their own spell lores... ooh boy.

I was planning on running some spare shamans on foot as some sort of Moonclan grot shaman, maybe. That's probably going to be much more likely in the future if this is true.

10 minutes ago, froo said:

I was running under the assumption that it was one spell lore for all... if they truly get their own spell lores... ooh boy.

I was planning on running some spare shamans on foot as some sort of Moonclan grot shaman, maybe. That's probably going to be much more likely in the future if this is true.

Yup they get their own spidery spell lore was confirmed in one of the recent community articles... This book is shaping up to be great fun

So I'm currently building a troggoth army. I have 15 Fellwater troggorths, Gargant and a Hag. I will add a Troggboss and the Troggherd battalion but I was thinking about adding Gordrakk to the army as that would let all my troggoths charge 3d6 instead of 2d6. Whats everyones opinion on this idea?