AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

Alright, List submission is on Friday and I think this is what I'm going to take to Red Harvest GT. Gonna do my best but with a spiderfang list I won't get my hopes up too much 😅. Its a bit unfortunate I couldn't get my hands on a second killbow in time though.

Spoiler

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz
- Option: Grimscuttle Tribes
- Grand Strategy: Prized Sorcery
- Triumphs: Inspired

Leaders
Webspinner Shaman on Arachnarok Spider (295)*
- General
- Command Trait: Prophet of da Spider God
- Artefact: Shyishan Spider-sigils
- Lore of the Spiderfangs: Sneaky Distraction
Scuttleboss on Gigantic Spider (105)*
- Artefact: Totem of the Spider God
Webspinner Shaman (85)*
- Lore of the Spiderfangs: Scuttling Terrors
Webspinner Shaman on Arachnarok Spider (295)**
- Artefact: Amulet of Destiny (Universal Artefact)
- Universal Spell Lore: Flaming Weapon
Webspinner Shaman (85)**
- Lore of the Spiderfangs: Gift of da Spider God
Madcap Shaman (80)**
- Lore of the Moonclans: Itchy Nuisance

Battleline
5 x Spider Riders (100)*
5 x Spider Riders (100)**
5 x Spider Riders (100)
5 x Spider Riders (100)***
10 x Spider Riders (200)***
- Reinforced x 1
- Reinforced x 1

Artillery
Beast-skewer Killbow (130)

Endless Spells & Invocations
Scrapskuttle's Arachnacauldron (50)
Soulsnare Shackles (65)

Core Battalions
*Warlord
**Warlord
***Hunters of the Heartlands

Additional Enhancements
Artefact
Artefact

Total: 1990 / 2000
Reinforced Units: 2 / 4
Allies: 130 / 400
Wounds: 131
Drops: 13

The only things I'm a bit unsure of are the spells/artefacts on the webspinners and if I should trade out 10 spider riders for a skitterstrand. The spider riders will be more generally useful, but with all the bonuses for monsters having one that can deepstrike might be a useful too.

I definitely want flaming weapon on one of the arachnaroks since it can buff the spider's leg attacks, but I'm not sure if I should give the one with AoD sneaky distraction, and the other one flaming weapon, so the one with AoD can double up on defense.

As I was list building a question popped into my head. A unit of shootas costs 140  points while a unit of LRL archers costs 150.   Having played against LRL it seems either our shootas are way over costed or the LRL archers are way under costed… what am I missing here to understand how things are pointed?

21 hours ago, Jmason said:

As I was list building a question popped into my head. A unit of shootas costs 140  points while a unit of LRL archers costs 150.   Having played against LRL it seems either our shootas are way over costed or the LRL archers are way under costed… what am I missing here to understand how things are pointed?

I'm not an expert of the LRL warscroll, but you point something that have been the biggest issue in Warhammer since I play: point cost precision. 

At the end my guess is that they mostly score on guts feeling with major warscroll information (wound, save, attack an ability) and doesn't really have a rational approach to point assignation. That's why when there is a point update it take a couple hours usually and the players community have already found all the over/undercosted unit, and you see a meta like Heel spam or Skyfire spam for a couple of month while some model doesn't see play at all.

Edited by broche
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jmason said:

Shootas are awful as a shooting unit. Better to think of them as an alternative to stabbas that trade melee output for ranged chip damage than as an actual shooting unit like Sentinels.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Ganigumo said:

Shootas are awful as a shooting unit. Better to think of them as an alternative to stabbas that trade melee output for ranged chip damage than as an actual shooting unit like Sentinels.

Aren't Shootas units of 20 too?  I think the Lumineth archers are units of 10.  So twice the bodies for only 10 points, such a deal!!!

Just now, Lord Krungharr said:

Aren't Shootas units of 20 too?  I think the Lumineth archers are units of 10.  So twice the bodies for only 10 points, such a deal!!!

yeah but their shooting attack doesn't really do any damage. 20 attacks on 5s and 5s is like 2.2 wounds before saves, and none of our buffs affect shooting attacks.. Their value is in being 7 points per wound on a -1 to hit, which is pretty similar to what stabbas do but with a worse save. If you need them to just sit on a point somewhere they're fine, but if you plan on buffing them or bringing a big horde to grind with you're better off with stabbas.

As a shooting unit they're awful by any metric, they just don't do any damage, but thats not their purpose.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Thanks, I guess I was thinking more in terms of damage potential and didn’t consider the unit sizes 

11 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

Yeah, the Lumineth guys get MW on 6s naturally I think.  Aelvish tech is advanced.

Also the army has 2 spells that can buff them

Also they have 30 inch range

also they need no los

Also they have better stats.

Also they give the opponent -1 to hit

• Thanks 1

Yowzah!  That just sounds no fair at all.

I played against the Gitz tonight with my Underguts.  That Loonboss is super hard to hit!  His stab'em'good ability makes those massive hordes of Grots really really dangerous.  Bounderz are also super good.  Da Bad Moon w the A-rok Shaman also did a bunch of MW....but the MVP was that darn Scuttletide spell.  SOOOOOO irritating.  Great hard game.

Tooth N Nail kinda messed me up as I could deepstrike my Gorgers to sneakily attack that rear objective (along with the Loonboss and Fungoid Shaman).  

I did manage to scrounge up a second killbow.

The list:

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz
- Option: Grimscuttle Tribes
- Grand Strategy: Prized Sorcery
- Triumphs: Inspired

Leaders
Webspinner Shaman on Arachnarok Spider (295)*
- General
- Command Trait: Prophet of da Spider God
- Artefact: Shyishan Spider-sigils
- Lore of the Spiderfangs: Sneaky Distraction
Scuttleboss on Gigantic Spider (105)*
- Artefact: Totem of the Spider God
Webspinner Shaman (85)*
- Lore of the Spiderfangs: Gift of da Spider God
Webspinner Shaman on Arachnarok Spider (295)**
- Artefact: Amulet of Destiny (Universal Artefact)
- Universal Spell Lore: Flaming Weapon
Webspinner Shaman (85)**
- Lore of the Spiderfangs: Scuttling Terrors
Madcap Shaman (80)**
- Lore of the Moonclans: Itchy Nuisance

Battleline
5 x Spider Riders (100)*
5 x Spider Riders (100)**
5 x Spider Riders (100)***
- Reinforced x 1
- Reinforced x 1

Artillery
- Allies
- Allies

Endless Spells & Invocations
Scrapskuttle's Arachnacauldron (50)
Chronomantic Cogs (45)

Core Battalions
*Warlord
**Warlord
***Hunters of the Heartlands

Edited by Ganigumo
Wrong image
  • Like 2

On 10/13/2021 at 2:49 PM, Lord Krungharr said:

Ah I see; I was thinking the Loonboss could make their arrows do MW on 6s too.  I'd probably go with the spears then.  Maybe if the Gitz tome gets an update they'll augment that, or at least let Spiderfang wizards grant some venom to other units besides Spiders (the riders have their plinky bows'n'arrows too!).

It would have been a neat synergy. Loonboss with Giant Cave Squig (the one with the shooting attack) and a blob of shootas, but alas it wasn't meant to be.