AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

9 hours ago, webert1 said:

I see it's been 10 days since the last reply on this thread. Surely as a member (a new one) of the gitz community I cannot let that happen.

I want to run an army with 2 blobs of stabbas and I have a few questions.

1) Positioning of nets. Is there any resources online with regards to the optimal positioning of nets for blobs of stabbas? Some way to maximise coverage so that battle rounds don't become logistical nightmares?

2) Besides blobs of gitz (I'm not building a third 60 man blob) what would you deem the most cost efficient unit this army has to offer that can hold its own and/or do some damage. Bounderz? Fellwater or Rockgut Troggoths? Manglers? I'm not talking about supports here but key fighters that don't need them to be efficient.

3) I see a lot of people complaining about fanatics and I don't understand it. How are they not  a perfect countercharge unit? they always fight first and are able to deploy right before the enemy charge.

Thanks in advance!

I'll try to answer these as best I can, keep in mind, this is more my experience and opinion than anything else:

1) Are you running full blobs of Stabbas or just 20/40 grot units?  Also, Stabbas or Spears? If you're running Stabbas, you want to have your nets in the 2nd or 3rd line to maximize the amount of attacks you get per grot since the nets have a 2" range.

2) Rockguts in a group of 6 and Boingrot Bounderz in groups of 10; Boingrots are a glass but if you position them right, they can do some heavy damage on a charge with no buffs. Rockguts are just stupidly tough to kill and I love to them for rear line support in a mixed grot list. The Fungoid Cave is also an amazing unit. 

3) I don't use Fanatics myself, so can't comment on this one.  

18 hours ago, webert1 said:

1) Positioning of nets. Is there any resources online with regards to the optimal positioning of nets for blobs of stabbas? Some way to maximise coverage so that battle rounds don't become logistical nightmares?

2) Besides blobs of gitz (I'm not building a third 60 man blob) what would you deem the most cost efficient unit this army has to offer that can hold its own and/or do some damage. Bounderz? Fellwater or Rockgut Troggoths? Manglers? I'm not talking about supports here but key fighters that don't need them to be efficient.

3) I see a lot of people complaining about fanatics and I don't understand it. How are they not  a perfect countercharge unit? they always fight first and are able to deploy right before the enemy charge.

1 - First rank, with possible exception of edges of unit where they can be used in second so they protect your flanks. Put them roughly three grots apart, between one another- this way they will reach to almost all enemy units in two ranks, and will hit with debuff 3rd rank occasionally if enemy brings 25mm bases units.

So you see I cannot agree with @Newtype_Zero

By withdrawing them to 3rd rank (only way to gain attacks in stabbas) you lose so much of resilience for not that much of combat improvement as already half of your damage output (except when snufflered) will come from netters.

2 - What @Newtype_Zero offered sounds good

Rockgut Troggoths need little support, except someone to help them with Inspiring Presence from time to time. With high rend, feel no pain save they are gvery good unit. Unit of 6 is nice where due to 2" range they all can attack with just 3 model frontage.

Boingrot Bounderz, MW on the charge,  good damage , random movement tough

3 - The things is if someone approaches your unit within 3" before charge, where are you going to release Fanatics? To the side at most, and enemy charging will if possible move outside of 3" from Fanatics. So that limits their potential in defense.

Also if someone has impact hits they can devastate Fanatics that way, even when charging from further away and thus either kill them , or significantly reduce their damage potential.

I thank you both @Boar and @Newtype_Zero for the replies! it has been most helpful and I understand the issues with loonsmasha much better.

I've started collecting gitz last summer but I haven't played a game yet. I'm almost done painting 120 stabbas with swords which will be the foundation of the army. I'll then add 6 rockgut troggoths, some snufflers and a few casters to the list.

I'm thinking of adding a webspinner shaman on Arachnarok, a fungoid cave shaman and we'll see where we go from there. Maybe Skragott and a few endless spells.

I'll definetely come back soon with more questions.

Edited by webert1

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back into AoS after about 4 years of absence. Finally getting around to painting all of the squigs that I bought a while ago. 
I was never fond of running big blobs of grots so I was pleased to see the “Jaws of Mork” rules. Only played about 3 games so far and lost all 3, but atleast it’s fun with squigs. My MVP so far has been my Colossal Squig. Hits like a truck and with squigs respawn if at half strength, you get 8 squig herd out of him aswell.

Anybody else used much of that colossal boy? 

So I was thinking of using the Stoneclaws gutstompa, overallegiance ability for my spiderfange gloomspite gitz army.

considering that the Stoneclaw gutstompa rules allow you to still use everything the glomspite or grand  allegiance destruction can other you I actually thought it might be a great idea.

What are your thoughts on this?

Hello people,

I'm starting my AoS journey with Gloomspite Gitz and would like to go Moonclan with Skragrott as my General focusing on magic. Is a magic focused army still viable? Or is it just squid-focused armies at the moment? As I'm fairly new to the game, I would love some pointers on the core of my army, and preferably their viability and how to build these out further. I would like to design my army around the following core units: 

1x Skragrott 

1x Loonboss

1x Zarbags Gitz 

1x Gobbapalooza

A battleline of stabbas and one shoota (2x stabba units and 1x shoota)

1x Sneaky snufflers 

1x Boingrot Bounderz 

Would these units fit together nicely in my core? I'm going mainly by aesthetics and I like the idea of being focused on magic. 

Thanks in advance!

Hey guys, 

Looking to build a Gloomspite Gitz army focused on magic and the moonclan, including Gobbapalooza, Skragrott, and Zarbags Gitz. I would also like to include Boingrot Bounderzs, a Squid Herd and Snufflers. As I'm pretty new to AoS, would this core still work?  Do you guys have any pointers for lists that I can look to for inspiration? Are magic-focused GG still viable on a semi-competitive level? 

Thank you in advance! 

Edit: I've just realised that I posted twice, after erroneously thinking my first post hadn't gone through. Please ignore and forgive!

Edited by Otter in Water
double posting

On 3/21/2021 at 10:54 AM, Skreech Verminking said:

So I was thinking of using the Stoneclaws gutstompa, overallegiance ability for my spiderfange gloomspite gitz army.

considering that the Stoneclaw gutstompa rules allow you to still use everything the glomspite or grand  allegiance destruction can other you I actually thought it might be a great idea.

What are your thoughts on this?

What is Gutstompa's doing better than the WD spiderfang allegiance?

Just now, Skreech Verminking said:

It’s the extra rules you could and still should be able to take from the firestorm campaign.

I’ve got the rules in german, if you’d like to see them 

No worries, I really mean what do you see in that allegiance over the Grimskuttle Tribe? How does it change your game compared with a specific subfaction. Granted, Grimskuttle Tribe isn't as good at Jaws of Mork or Glogg's Megamob.

16 minutes ago, Dankboss said:

No worries, I really mean what do you see in that allegiance over the Grimskuttle Tribe? How does it change your game compared with a specific subfaction. Granted, Grimskuttle Tribe isn't as good at Jaws of Mork or Glogg's Megamob.

Well it isn’t really a sub allegiance in that point.

If I have read it correctly it can technically be used with any sub allegiance in addition, so technically it would just be able to be used in addition, as long as your using moonclan and spiderfang grots only

although the wording is a bit weird, since it was technically written before something like sub-allegiances ever existed 

Edited by Skreech Verminking

On 3/22/2021 at 8:57 AM, Otter in Water said:

Hey guys, 

Looking to build a Gloomspite Gitz army focused on magic and the moonclan, including Gobbapalooza, Skragrott, and Zarbags Gitz. I would also like to include Boingrot Bounderzs, a Squid Herd and Snufflers. As I'm pretty new to AoS, would this core still work?  Do you guys have any pointers for lists that I can look to for inspiration? Are magic-focused GG still viable on a semi-competitive level? 

Thank you in advance! 

Edit: I've just realised that I posted twice, after erroneously thinking my first post hadn't gone through. Please ignore and forgive!

I think magic heavy lists are still viable, but can struggle against some armies. If we go up against LRL, Tzeench or Seraphon with a magic heavy list we have a hard time. While the gitz spells are really good, most of our wizards are only a single caster and our buffs pale in comparison to other armies. This makes our spellcasting unreliable. The latest GHB hurt us as well since we're now limited to 3 endless spells, whereas 6 was not uncommon before.  

I think you're going to struggle to get Skragrott and Gobbapalooza into the same army. I've never included the gobbapalooza in my lists because I couldn't justify the points cost. I think it's better to focus on specific heroes that fulfill the functions you need, rather than being forced to take 5.

That said, he's my favourite 2k gitz magic list. It's not meant to be too competitive, but I really like the way it plays.
Correction: It is actually competitive and I win most games that I play with it. I just meant to say that it can be made more competitive with a few different unit choices, e.g., more stabbas. I personally don't want to move around 180 stabbas (or subject my opponent to it).

Heroes
- General: Skragrott
- 2x Fungoid Cave Shaman
- Loonboss

Battleline
- 60x Stabbas
- 40x Stabbas
- 12x Squig herd

Other Units
- 1x Mangler Squigs
- 10x Boingrot Bounders
- 6x Sneaky Snufflers
- 5x Sporesplatta Fanatics

Endless Spells
- Geminids
- Skuttletide
- Malevolent Moon

The way the army plays out is that your two units of stabbas along with the loonboss, snufflers, and fanatics move together as a unit. When needed, they break off and one goes offensive (with the loonboss, snufflers and fanatics - +2 attacks, MW on 6 to wound) while the other falls back or holds an objective. Skragrott and the fungoid cave shamans hang back and wreak havoc with hand of gork, great green spite, itchy nuisance, and endless spells. The mangler roams and kills units as needed. It often has a huge target on its back, which makes your opponent dedicate too many resources to killing it, which allows your blobs of stabbas move onto objectives. The squig herd chills on an objective near the loonshrine to save them from their horrific bravery.

I almost always use Skragrott's ability to move the moon to the center of the battlefield in the 2nd BR. I find that a lot of the important fights that the gitz get into happen then. Hand of gork is an ever present threat in your back pocket (though a bit unreliable to cast so have a backup plan). Your opponent will always need to keep it in mind knowing that you can use it to steal back objectives. Though, as I mentioned, the strong magic armies will dispel it fairly easily.

Hope that helps!

Edit: A good gitz general keeps in mind the randomness of the army, e.g., random moves for squigs, unreliable magic (like the 7 for hand of gork), etc. The good general plays with this in mind - they never commit to a single strategy but instead have multiple strategies based on what happens with the dice roll. Gitz are extremely tricksy and can steal wins out of nowhere! There are so many crazy things that they can do - e.g., a hot roll on a mangler move, loonshrine bringing stabbas back right onto objectives to steal them from nowhere, a perfectly timed (and lucky) hand of gork, a well timed skuttletide preventing your opponent from getting onto an objective right when they need it, a conga line of stabbas to claim 2-3 objectives in a single turn (you can also do this off a hand of gork). No matter how bad things are, always play to your ourt (you have lots of them), and the bad moon will reward you!

Edited by Gobboz
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, Gobboz said:

I think magic heavy lists are still viable, but can struggle against some armies. If we go up against LRL, Tzeench or Seraphon with a magic heavy list we have a hard time. While the gitz spells are really good, most of our wizards are only a single caster and our buffs pale in comparison to other armies. This makes our spellcasting unreliable. The latest GHB hurt us as well since we're now limited to 3 endless spells, whereas 6 was not uncommon before.  

I think you're going to struggle to get Skragrott and Gobbapalooza into the same army. I've never included the gobbapalooza in my lists because I couldn't justify the points cost. I think it's better to focus on specific heroes that fulfill the functions you need, rather than being forced to take 5.

That said, he's my favourite 2k gitz magic list. It's not meant to be too competitive, but I really like the way it plays.
Correction: It is actually competitive and I win most games that I play with it. I just meant to say that it can be made more competitive with a few different unit choices, e.g., more stabbas. I personally don't want to move around 180 stabbas (or subject my opponent to it).

Heroes
- General: Skragrott
- 2x Fungoid Cave Shaman
- Loonboss

Battleline
- 60x Stabbas
- 40x Stabbas
- 12x Squig herd

Other Units
- 1x Mangler Squigs
- 10x Boingrot Bounders
- 6x Sneaky Snufflers
- 5x Sporesplatta Fanatics

Endless Spells
- Geminids
- Skuttletide
- Malevolent Moon

The way the army plays out is that your two units of stabbas along with the loonboss, snufflers, and fanatics move together as a unit. When needed, they break off and one goes offensive (with the loonboss, snufflers and fanatics - +2 attacks, MW on 6 to wound) while the other falls back or holds an objective. Skragrott and the fungoid cave shamans hang back and wreak havoc with hand of gork, great green spite, itchy nuisance, and endless spells. The mangler roams and kills units as needed. It often has a huge target on its back, which makes your opponent dedicate too many resources to killing it, which allows your blobs of stabbas move onto objectives. The squig herd chills on an objective near the loonshrine to save them from their horrific bravery.

I almost always use Skragrott's ability to move the moon to the center of the battlefield in the 2nd BR. I find that a lot of the important fights that the gitz get into happen then. Hand of gork is an ever present threat in your back pocket (though a bit unreliable to cast so have a backup plan). Your opponent will always need to keep it in mind knowing that you can use it to steal back objectives. Though, as I mentioned, the strong magic armies will dispel it fairly easily.

Hope that helps!

Edit: A good gitz general keeps in mind the randomness of the army, e.g., random moves for squigs, unreliable magic (like the 7 for hand of gork), etc. The good general plays with this in mind - they never commit to a single strategy but instead have multiple strategies based on what happens with the dice roll. Gitz are extremely tricksy and can steal wins out of nowhere! There are so many crazy things that they can do - e.g., a hot roll on a mangler move, loonshrine bringing stabbas back right onto objectives to steal them from nowhere, a perfectly timed (and lucky) hand of gork, a well timed skuttletide preventing your opponent from getting onto an objective right when they need it, a conga line of stabbas to claim 2-3 objectives in a single turn (you can also do this off a hand of gork). No matter how bad things are, always play to your ours (you have lots of them), and the bad moon will reward you!

Thank you so much for the answer - I really appreciate it. 

The main reason why I want to put Gobbapalooza into my list is because I'm in love with the models, and the idea of a unit of casters in a magic-focused list. It will be a while until I paint all the way to 2000 points (at the moment I'm at my first 2 squads of stabbas), so I do have time to see how I could make it work. From reading through other guides and talking to some other Gitz players, as well as gathering inspiration from their lists, I'll try to make the following work - grateful for your thoughts if you have any. 

Also, I've read that Brewgit supposedly works really well with Skragrott, although I can't yet for the life of me figure out why... 

++ **Pitched Battle** 2,000 (Destruction - Gloomspite Gitz) [1,990pts] ++

+ Leader +

Fungoid Cave-Shaman [90pts]

Loonboss [70pts]

Skragrott, the Loonking [220pts]: General - Moonclan Wizard

+ Battleline +

Squig Herd [140pts]: 2x 5 Squigs & Squig Herder

Stabbas [260pts]: 2x 20 Stabbas, 2x Bad Moon Icon, Gong Basher, Stabba, 2x x3 Barbed Net

Stabbas [360pts]: 3x 20 Stabbas, 2x Bad Moon Icon, Gong Basher, Moon Clan Flag, Stabba, 3x x3 Barbed Net

+ Other +

Boingrot Bounders [100pts]: 5 Boingrot Bounderz

Loonsmasha Fanatics [140pts]: 5 Loonsmasha Fanatics

Sneaky Snufflers [70pts]: 6 Sneaky Snufflers

+ Battalion +

Battalion: Gobbapalooza [290pts]: Gobbapalooza

+ Allegiance +

Allegiance
. Gloomspite Gitz

+ Game Options +

Game Type: 2000 Points - Battlehost

+ Malign Sorcery +

Endless Spell: Malevolent Moon [40pts]

Endless Spell: Scrapskuttle's Arachnacauldron [40pts]

Endless Spell: Scuttletide [30pts]

+ Scenery +

Bad Moon Loonshrine

++ Total: [1,990pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

34 minutes ago, Otter in Water said:

Thank you so much for the answer - I really appreciate it. 

The main reason why I want to put Gobbapalooza into my list is because I'm in love with the models, and the idea of a unit of casters in a magic-focused list. It will be a while until I paint all the way to 2000 points (at the moment I'm at my first 2 squads of stabbas), so I do have time to see how I could make it work. From reading through other guides and talking to some other Gitz players, as well as gathering inspiration from their lists, I'll try to make the following work - grateful for your thoughts if you have any. 

Also, I've read that Brewgit supposedly works really well with Skragrott, although I can't yet for the life of me figure out why... 

++ **Pitched Battle** 2,000 (Destruction - Gloomspite Gitz) [1,990pts] ++

+ Leader +

Fungoid Cave-Shaman [90pts]

Loonboss [70pts]

Skragrott, the Loonking [220pts]: General - Moonclan Wizard

+ Battleline +

Squig Herd [140pts]: 2x 5 Squigs & Squig Herder

Stabbas [260pts]: 2x 20 Stabbas, 2x Bad Moon Icon, Gong Basher, Stabba, 2x x3 Barbed Net

Stabbas [360pts]: 3x 20 Stabbas, 2x Bad Moon Icon, Gong Basher, Moon Clan Flag, Stabba, 3x x3 Barbed Net

+ Other +

Boingrot Bounders [100pts]: 5 Boingrot Bounderz

Sneaky Snufflers [70pts]: 6 Sneaky Snufflers

+ Battalion +

Battalion: Gobbapalooza [290pts]: Gobbapalooza

+ Allegiance +

Allegiance
. Gloomspite Gitz

+ Game Options +

Game Type: 2000 Points - Battlehost

+ Malign Sorcery +

Endless Spell: Malevolent Moon [40pts]

Endless Spell: Scrapskuttle's Arachnacauldron [40pts]

Endless Spell: Scuttletide [30pts]

+ Scenery +

Bad Moon Loonshrine

++ Total: [1,990pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

List looks good! And yeah, you should definitely play what you find fun so if that’s the gobapalooza then you do you!

a few comments on your list:

- You currently don’t have any hammer. Many lists will include a mangler or shaman on arachnarok to have the high damage output from a single model. Something to think about.
- 5 bounders aren’t going to do too much. You may want to up to 10 so that you can do 5mw on average with a charge.
- I used the cauldron once and found it to be very underwhelming. Having access to the full lore is nice, but if you’re have enough wizards you can cover your bases.
- I feel like geminids is a must include. Along with nettas it gives you a -2 to hit, which lets those stabbed stay around a lot longer.

I’ve never heard of brewgit being good with skragrott, but looking at his warscroll it probably has to do with him being able to reroll ****** shooting. Skragrott has a good missile attacking so rerolling hits could be really useful.

Oh, and since you have squish in your list make sure you’re playing with the Jaws of Mork rules from white dwarf.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Gobboz said:

List looks good! And yeah, you should definitely play what you find fun so if that’s the gobapalooza then you do you!

a few comments on your list:

- You currently don’t have any hammer. Many lists will include a mangler or shaman on arachnarok to have the high damage output from a single model. Something to think about.
- 5 bounders aren’t going to do too much. You may want to up to 10 so that you can do 5mw on average with a charge.
- I used the cauldron once and found it to be very underwhelming. Having access to the full lore is nice, but if you’re have enough wizards you can cover your bases.
- I feel like geminids is a must include. Along with nettas it gives you a -2 to hit, which lets those stabbed stay around a lot longer.

I’ve never heard of brewgit being good with skragrott, but looking at his warscroll it probably has to do with him being able to reroll ****** shooting. Skragrott has a good missile attacking so rerolling hits could be really useful.

Oh, and since you have squish in your list make sure you’re playing with the Jaws of Mork rules from white dwarf.

Thanks so much for the advice. I'll definitely bump the boingrot bounders to 10 - you're right that running five doesn't make that much sense. Thanks also for the advice on cauldron and geminids - once I get more familiarised with the rules I'll see what I end up running - also, thankfully these are things on the list I can swap around and play test (when I get there!)

It's also really useful to know about the lack of hammer, I was hoping this role could be fulfilled by the unit of 10 boingrot bounders, but perhaps these don't carry enough oompf. I also really love the look of the mangler squid, so maybe I'll just try to make some room for that. Are there any other hammers that I could use? For instance, would either of the trolls work in this role or are they too slow and too low morale?

And yes, that makes a lot of sense to up Skragrotts shooting power! Having those re-rolls on hits makes his wand very reliable, and perhaps I can target enemy buffers. 

One question regarding the Jaws of Mork rules, doesn't taking Skragrott as my general (from the moonclan) prevent me from doing that? 

Edited by Otter in Water
Additional question!

31 minutes ago, Otter in Water said:

Thanks so much for the advice. I'll definitely bump the boingrot bounders to 10 - you're right that running five doesn't make that much sense. Thanks also for the advice on cauldron and geminids - once I get more familiarised with the rules I'll see what I end up running - also, thankfully these are things on the list I can swap around and play test (when I get there!)

It's also really useful to know about the lack of hammer, I was hoping this role could be fulfilled by the unit of 10 boingrot bounders, but perhaps these don't carry enough oompf. I also really love the look of the mangler squid, so maybe I'll just try to make some room for that. Are there any other hammers that I could use? For instance, would either of the trolls work in this role or are they too slow and too low morale?

And yes, that makes a lot of sense to up Skragrotts shooting power! Having those re-rolls on hits makes his wand very reliable, and perhaps I can target enemy buffers. 

One question regarding the Jaws of Mork rules, doesn't taking Skragrott as my general (from the moonclan) prevent me from doing that? 

Yeah, 10 boingrot bounders is not going to be enough. They have low bravery and don't have as much of a target on their back.

It's nice to have a unit that draws your opponent's attention so that you be tricksy elsewhere on the board. Anyway, that's my preferred playstyle. An alternative could just be to gum up the whole board with 180 stabbas. All of my friends fear the mangler because it usually does a ton of damage (more so because Jaws of Mork lets it fight at top bracket for a CP) and is something that has to be dealt with, otherwise it runs around killing whatever it comes across.

Besides the mangler, I think that 6 rockguts are a good choice as long as you can keep a hero near them for battleshock  - they can hit really hard. If you don't play skragrott, then webspinner on arachnarok is a top choice. The +1 on scuttletide cast makes it a bit easier to get off. Also, you can combo nettas, geminids, and sneaky dristraction to give -3 to hit 😲

Having Skragrott as your general doesn't stop you from using Jaws of Mork. The rules just say that if your army is Gloomspite Gitz you can give it the Jaws of Mork keyword. With Skragrott as your general you won't get the command trait, but that's no biggie. Jaws of Mork pushes the Mangler Squigs over the top with the reroll movement and fight at top bracket (anywhere on the board!) command ability.

Edit: Regarding your comment about targeting enemy buffers with Skragrott. Generally you want to use Skragrott's shooting and  your magic to take out enemy heroes. A blob of 60 stabbas will hold their own against any unit. Also, make sure you stabbas have swords and boards!

Edited by Gobboz
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Gobboz said:

Yeah, 10 boingrot bounders is not going to be enough. They have low bravery and don't have as much of a target on their back.

It's nice to have a unit that draws your opponent's attention so that you be tricksy elsewhere on the board. Anyway, that's my preferred playstyle. An alternative could just be to gum up the whole board with 180 stabbas. All of my friends fear the mangler because it usually does a ton of damage (more so because Jaws of Mork lets it fight at top bracket for a CP) and is something that has to be dealt with, otherwise it runs around killing whatever it comes across.

Besides the mangler, I think that 6 rockguts are a good choice as long as you can keep a hero near them for battleshock  - they can hit really hard. If you don't play skragrott, then webspinner on arachnarok is a top choice. The +1 on scuttletide cast makes it a bit easier to get off. Also, you can combo nettas, geminids, and sneaky dristraction to give -3 to hit 😲

Having Skragrott as your general doesn't stop you from using Jaws of Mork. The rules just say that if your army is Gloomspite Gitz you can give it the Jaws of Mork keyword. With Skragrott as your general you won't get the command trait, but that's no biggie. Jaws of Mork pushes the Mangler Squigs over the top with the reroll movement and fight at top bracket (anywhere on the board!) command ability.

Edit: Regarding your comment about targeting enemy buffers with Skragrott. Generally you want to use Skragrott's shooting and  your magic to take out enemy heroes. A blob of 60 stabbas will hold their own against any unit. Also, make sure you stabbas have swords and boards!

Great advice for me to mull over. I'll get the base of my army done, and then will have to cross the bridge of deciding which big unit to go for. Perhaps, I could just lean into the stabbas and choose to not go for any squigs at all. The list would possibly look something like this: 

Skragrott as general

Fungoid

Loonboss

60x Stabbas

60x Stabbas

6x Squig herd (for battleline)

Gobbapalooza + Gobbapalooza battalion

5x Fanatics

5x Fanatics

6x Snufflers

1x Scuttletide 

1x Scapskuttle Cauldron (To make Skragrott a master caster or make one of gobbapalooza a good caster)

1x Malevolent Moon (Damage and Anti Magic)

(this still leaves 80 points for either another loonboss, another unit of snufflers, or a madcap)

Regarding the Jaws of Mork, for some reason I thought you either choose a Moonclan Allegiance or the Jaws of Mork Allegiance - silly me. Thanks for clearing that up. Why is it however, that you don't get to use the command trait? Wouldn't he still provide the ability re-roll battleshock for units that share the Jaws of Mork keyword within 12 inches?  

I was looking at the results of the Vicotrian Grand Tournament which featured three Gloomspite Lists in total, and noticed that one of them featured as a "hammer" a Big Drogg Fort Kicka. Possibly also something to consider? 

@Otter in Water I think its less that the brewgit is good with skragrott, and more that skragrott is basically the only thing worth using him on since he can only target moonclan heroes. I guess it might not be bad on a loonboss with great cave squig as well but ehh... If we could use it on squig heroes it would be a completely different story.

As for Skragrott as general in jaws of mork the only thing you're losing out on is returning squig units with the loonshrine, but if you're using stabbas/shootas mostly anyways its not much of a problem.

• Like 1

Hey peeps, I'm looking to get some answers in regards to shootas. Now I know the general consensus is stabbas with hand weapons are the best with spears coming up next  BUT I'm looking to hear about how shootas have been used effectively. 

I'm planning a heavy conversion project and haven't decided what to build my grots as. 

I really do like the idea of shoota grots backing up troggs with -1 to hit and some plink damage. Seems like they'd just get ignored, apply a debuff, and cause a few wounds here and there. 

Thanks in advance. 

On 4/3/2021 at 12:04 AM, Vasshpit said:

Hey peeps, I'm looking to get some answers in regards to shootas. Now I know the general consensus is stabbas with hand weapons are the best with spears coming up next  BUT I'm looking to hear about how shootas have been used effectively. 

I'm planning a heavy conversion project and haven't decided what to build my grots as. 

I really do like the idea of shoota grots backing up troggs with -1 to hit and some plink damage. Seems like they'd just get ignored, apply a debuff, and cause a few wounds here and there. 

Thanks in advance. 

You are right, they are underutilysed, but it’s sadly because they are not very good. 1 Bad shot on a short distance, even with 51 bows (+nets =60) avarages you with 4 wounds inflicted on an enemy Unit with a 5+ save. Just take more troggs to the frontline with your other  troggs. 

If I include Shootas in my list, it’s almost always a block of 20, for sitting on my homeobjective, or teleporting them, with a possibly hidden squad of fanatics.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I just spent some time looking over and comparing shootas to all the other dedicated shooter units in the game.

Damn... they really have a craptastic warscroll. That's pretty sad. Maybe even THE worst ranged warscroll I'd argue.

I even spent an hr rolling 51 dice against a basic 4+ save and tallying the results. Not good. 

A +1 to hit (still only a 4) and another +1 or +1 attack to unit leader with bow would do them good and not even bring them up to remotely OP.

I was aware they were not great but they're just down right bad... I really feel for some new player/collector  coming into this, spending they're money, time and just getting this craptastic unit. 

I'm doing some conversion grot battline using snufflers bodies, loonsmasha heads, loonsmashas bodies for netters, and ungor weapons. 

They look AMAZING but needless to say it's not a cheap conversion at all so I dont want to spend all this time,money, and effort to make useless infantry. I may still make 20 just to have and also in Hope's of a future buff. 

Sad lil shoota grots are sad...

Edited by Vasshpit

@Vasshpit yeah at some point in design they decided gitz dont get a shooting phase. Not sure why exactly.

All it would take for shootas to be decent is access to buffs like the loonboss CA, its not like they'd be skink strength even if you opened them up to all the moonclan buffs in the army to work with shooting.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Vasshpit said:

So I just spent some time looking over and comparing shootas to all the other dedicated shooter units in the game.

Damn... they really have a craptastic warscroll. That's pretty sad. Maybe even THE worst ranged warscroll I'd argue.

I even spent an hr rolling 51 dice against a basic 4+ save and tallying the results. Not good. 

At say 40 shootas they deal more damage in melee than in shooting funnily enough.

They can be somewhat useful going behind your other dudes as weak shooting is still better than nothing, or defending objective while contributing somewhat to battle.

• Like 1