AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

I'm looking to buy a budget 2k list for Gitz by sometime before summer next year.  So far I've assembled 1k points worth of Gitz and allies, consisting of Skraggrot as general, Zarbag's Gitz, a Squig Herd, allied Savage Boarboy Maniaks, a Fungoid Cave Shaman and a Loonboss on a Cave Squig.  I'm thrilled that it was all fairly cheap to get (especially the Boarboys!) so I'm attempting to keep the finished 2k list cheap as well while also keeping it fairly competitive. 

If I could get the rest for ~$300 that would be amazing.  So far my plans are to get the Start Collecting box and use all the models it comes with and also use all of the Gitz Endless Spells that I may or may not be getting from my brother for Xmas.  The rest is fairly up in the air.

I have a few ideas for filling the remaining pts that don't involve removing everything trying to go all-in on a synergy.  I could cut half of the Maniaks and maybe Mork's Mighty Mushroom for 3 Spiderfang Arachnaroks w/War Parties plus their Battalion bonus.  They'd need to stick together for their bonus and wouldn't be particularly mobile but would offer a non-negligible amount of bow attacks as well as a pretty devastating charge and a hefty 14 wounds per model.  Another idea (possibly my favorite) is adding a unit of 2 Dankhold Troggoths and a unit of 20 Shootas so I don't have to spread out Squigs to fill battleline reqs and have access to more netters beyond the one in Zarbag's Gitz, which will be Skraggrot's entourage.  Finally I could cave and get a wall of 60 Stabbas to fill the battleline plus a mage or two.

What would y'all suggest?  I know Dankhold Troggoths get some flak but I do appreciate how strong they are per model for their point value and that one won't normally be affected by Battleshock if the other dies.  To make Mork's Mushroom much stronger I could get my hands on a Balewind Vortex for Skragrott to cast on top of as well, increasing the range for his spells to match or even exceed his ranged attack.  While 60 Stabbas seems boring to me I wouldn't be terribly disappointed if my list included them.

Edited by Dingding123

10 hours ago, Dingding123 said:

I'm looking to buy a budget 2k list for Gitz by sometime before summer next year.  So far I've assembled 1k points worth of Gitz and allies, consisting of Skraggrot as general, Zarbag's Gitz, a Squig Herd, allied Savage Boarboy Maniaks, a Fungoid Cave Shaman and a Loonboss on a Cave Squig.  I'm thrilled that it was all fairly cheap to get (especially the Boarboys!) so I'm attempting to keep the finished 2k list cheap as well while also keeping it fairly competitive. 

If I could get the rest for ~$300 that would be amazing.  So far my plans are to get the Start Collecting box and use all the models it comes with and also use all of the Gitz Endless Spells that I may or may not be getting from my brother for Xmas.  The rest is fairly up in the air.

I have a few ideas for filling the remaining pts that don't involve removing everything trying to go all-in on a synergy.  I could cut half of the Maniaks and maybe Mork's Mighty Mushroom for 3 Spiderfang Arachnaroks w/War Parties plus their Battalion bonus.  They'd need to stick together for their bonus and wouldn't be particularly mobile but would offer a non-negligible amount of bow attacks as well as a pretty devastating charge and a hefty 14 wounds per model.  Another idea (possibly my favorite) is adding a unit of 2 Dankhold Troggoths and a unit of 20 Shootas so I don't have to spread out Squigs to fill battleline reqs and have access to more netters beyond the one in Zarbag's Gitz, which will be Skraggrot's entourage.  Finally I could cave and get a wall of 60 Stabbas to fill the battleline plus a mage or two.

What would y'all suggest?  I know Dankhold Troggoths get some flak but I do appreciate how strong they are per model for their point value and that one won't normally be affected by Battleshock if the other dies.  To make Mork's Mushroom much stronger I could get my hands on a Balewind Vortex for Skragrott to cast on top of as well, increasing the range for his spells to match or even exceed his ranged attack.  While 60 Stabbas seems boring to me I wouldn't be terribly disappointed if my list included them.

I'd get the new Gitz battleforce for a big discount. You'd be better off building the Dankhold as a boss, as he's always useful as just a big hero. Then you get an ideal amount of Rockguts and a load of Boingrots/ Hoppers.

Then you could get those stabbas, so now your army will have a section of Grots with Skragrott, Troggoths with a Dankboss, and Squigs with a Loonboss on Squig.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

Wow.  That is in the ballpark of 800 pts for only $120 lol.  Even if I didn't use the second Loonboss on a Cave Squig I'd still make off like a bandit with that new battleforce box!

For the sake of fitting everything in my list (I would like to keep 5 Boarboys for their mobility after using them in 1k games) I'll have to cut a couple corners and use only 5 Squigs for one of the battlelines and take out Mork's Mushroom.  Also I'd need to either omit a Loonboss on a Cave Squig or downgrade the Troggboss to a Dankhold Troggoth and lose the extra command point - both are worth the last 110pts.  But that means all that's left is to get my hands on 6 Squig Herd models and 20 Shootas and I'll reach 3 battlelines and 2k pts!

With 12 units/heroes I would literally never choose who goes first in games.  But that's fine!  That is absolutely acceptable - not only is the list beefy as all getout but Loonshrine/Battletome aside it would cost well under $200 to make PB ready.  Thanks for bringing up the upcoming deal; that box is a dream come true!

Edited by Dingding123
  • Like 1

Skragrott's other merits as a general are his on-average +1 CP at the start of each of your turns and that Squig Herds can still contribute to his battleline despite him not being a Squig hero himself.  However if you're not using endless spells I wouldn't consider him as a general, and if you have a better general for your list's synergies just go with them instead.  

Outside of being a general, as a standalone hero he's honestly not bad if your army keeps him protected and, again, if you're running endless spells.  He's a pseudo-artillery unit as well which he can get some mileage out of given his whopping 28" ranged attack.

Edited by Dingding123

I was thinking of startling a pure cavalry army for gloomspite, anything you guys think would be better in the list ? 

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz
Mortal Realm: Ghyran
Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig (110)
- General
- Moonclan Stabba
- Command Trait: Envoy of the Overbounder  
- Artefact: The Clammy cowl  
5 x Squig Hoppers (90)
5 x Squig Hoppers (90)
5 x Squig Hoppers (90)
10 x Boingrot Bounderz (200)
Mangler Squigs (240)
Moon-Jumper Stampede (140)
Moon-Biter Squigalanche (90)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 148

2 hours ago, Chimpykye said:

I was thinking of startling a pure cavalry army for gloomspite, anything you guys think would be better in the list ? 

- General
- Moonclan Stabba
5 x Squig Hoppers (90)
5 x Squig Hoppers (90)
5 x Squig Hoppers (90)
Mangler Squigs (240)

Are you trying to make this a one drop list? I could be wrong, but I believe you can only have up to 3 squads of Hoppers or Boingrots, not up to 3 of each with the Moon-jumper Stampede. If you're not looking at making it a one drop, carry on.

I do think you'd do well trying to include a Mangler Boss though.

19 hours ago, Chimpykye said:

- General
- Moonclan Stabba
5 x Squig Hoppers (90)
5 x Squig Hoppers (90)
5 x Squig Hoppers (90)
Mangler Squigs (240)

Why wouldn't you go Jaws of Mork if you're going to go all squig? You'll get to reroll all of their movement. Also if you take boingrots in stacks of 15 you'll be able to bring back 8 from the loonshrine. I would throw in at least 1-2 Fungoids into that list, also you'll want the loonboss on mangler for any squig heavy list. he buffs them +1 to wound.

26 minutes ago, Bigtroggboi said:

Why wouldn't you go Jaws of Mork if you're going to go all squig? You'll get to reroll all of their movement. Also if you take boingrots in stacks of 15 you'll be able to bring back 8 from the loonshrine. I would throw in at least 1-2 Fungoids into that list, also you'll want the loonboss on mangler for any squig heavy list. he buffs them +1 to wound.

they are jawz of mork that just wasn't an option on the warscroll builder. Definitely right about the 15 man squad i hadn't thought about that, with changing the general to a mangler it definitely is better than the cave squig, its just after 370 points on battalions to make the squigs better i didnt want to have super great squigs but too few to do anything 

Loonboss on Mangler Squigs (280)
- General
- Artefact: Syari Screamersquig
5 x Squig Hoppers (90)
5 x Squig Hoppers (90)
5 x Squig Hoppers (90)
15 x Boingrot Bounderz (300)
Mangler Squigs (240)

Total: 1960 / 2000
Wounds: 134

By dropping the mangler down to cave i can get an extra 5 bounders and a shaman.

- General
- Moonclan Stabba
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Lore of the Moonclans: Itchy Nuisance
5 x Squig Hoppers (90)
5 x Squig Hoppers (90)
5 x Squig Hoppers (90)
Mangler Squigs (240)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Wounds: 142

• Like 1

Here's my prospected budget list based on the Fungal Loonhorde Battleforce box if anyone's curious:

15 Boingrot Bounderz (300)
6x Rockgut Troggoths (280)
1x Skragrott, the Loonking [general] (220); lore: Itchy Nuisance
1x Dankhold Troggoth (190)
1x Zarbag's Gitz (160); lore: Hand of Gork
12x Squig Herd [battleline] (140) 
5x Savage Boarboy Maniaks [allied] (140)
20x Shootas [battleline] (120)
1x Loonboss on a Giant Cave Squig (110) (moon-cutta); artefact: Loonstone Talisman

1x Loonboss on a Giant Cave Squig (110) (moon-cutta)
1x Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90); lore: Call da Moon
6x Squig Herd [battleline] (70)
Endless Spells:
Malevolent Moon (40)
Scuttletide (30)

Total: 2000/2000

Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 140/400
Wounds: 173

While I own everything here save for 6 Squig Herd models + the Battleforce stuffs I definitely wouldn't mind replacing a couple of units in the near future if I get the box for cheap, bar going down the rabbit hole of declaring a new archetype .  I aim to play conservatively on turn 1 to farm CP and cast Endless Spells, then follow up on the next turn with a strong Squig/Bounderz run+charge and start contesting points.  What is the weakest link here  for doing that?

If it's any consolation for the 20 Shootas, I can use them with Hand of Gork as charge fodder/point contesters and have them poke at something without charging.  Alternatively it can move the 6 Rockguts and use their D3 mortal ranged attack and also potentially get a chump charge.  Either way the spell makes the most immobile units in the list more mobile assuming Zarbag doesn't mess up the cast with a +3.

Anyway thanks for reading my walls of text guys haha.

Edited by Dingding123

So last year I started what was intended to be a squig army that got turned into something more general after the Battleforce release.  Jaws of Mork has me interested in adding more squigs, but I've been having trouble finding something I'm happy with.  Any thoughts on this?

Leaders
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Lore of the Moonclans: Squig Lure
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Lore of the Moonclans: Itchy Nuisance
- Moon-cutta
Loonboss on Mangler Squigs (280)
- General

Battleline
12 x Squig Herd (140)
15 x Squig Hoppers (270)
15 x Squig Hoppers (270)

Units
6 x Sneaky Snufflers (70)

Behemoths
Mangler Squigs (240)

Battalions

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 164

Hi guys, is it possible to field Glogg's Megamob, including the warscroll Stomping Megamob AND the generic Gloomspite Gitz Troggherd?

In de WD introduction of Glogg's MM I read use these Allegiance abilities "in addition" to the Gloomspite gitz one. But on the next Warscoll battalion page I read the keywords in the necessary units for the Stomping MM.

So could it be like; you can make a Glogg's MM with in it the Stomping Megamob AND Troggherd. But (obviously ) not a Gloomspite Gitz trogg army with the Troggherd AND the Stompin MM , because the lack of GMM keywords.

Or is there any way to field both warscrolls without needing to make two separate armies? 😅

btw, as i read it, the Loonshrine updates are not only for the white dwarf armies, but for all gloomspite gitz armies : by including a specific type of general you can use the loonshrine ability on certain type of units. Hopefully a new faq will come out soon.

And hurray for the upcoming spidertribes!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bozgum said:

Hi guys, is it possible to field Glogg's Megamob, including the warscroll Stomping Megamob AND the generic Gloomspite Gitz Troggherd?

In de WD introduction of Glogg's MM I read use these Allegiance abilities "in addition" to the Gloomspite gitz one. But on the next Warscoll battalion page I read the keywords in the necessary units for the Stomping MM.

So could it be like; you can make a Glogg's MM with in it the Stomping Megamob AND Troggherd. But (obviously ) not a Gloomspite Gitz trogg army with the Troggherd AND the Stompin MM , because the lack of GMM keywords.

Or is there any way to field both warscrolls without needing to make two separate armies? 😅

btw, as i read it, the Loonshrine updates are not only for the white dwarf armies, but for all gloomspite gitz armies : by including a specific type of general you can use the loonshrine ability on certain type of units. Hopefully a new faq will come out soon.

And hurray for the upcoming spidertribes!

You are right in all. The Megamob could have any of both of the battalions without any restriction.

Edited by Nezzhil

Great! So this Army list would be legal? I know I could drop Mollog and take fungoid + madcap or arachnacouldron/other ES instead, but full troggoth seems a thing to do as 3000pts battles don't happen that often 🙂

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz - Glogg's Megamob

Leaders
Dankhold Troggboss (250) in Stomping MM
- General

- Shepherd of Idiotic Destruction

- Aetherquartz-studded Hide
Dankhold Troggboss (250) in Troggherd

- Glowy Howzit

Mollog (170)
Troggoth Hag (380)

- Hand of Gork

Battleline
6 x Fellwater Troggoths (300) Stomping MM
6 x Fellwater Troggoths (300) Stomping MM
3 x Fellwater Troggoths (150) Stomping MM
6 x Rockgut Troggoths (280) Troggherd

Battalions
Troggherd (170)

Stomping Megamob (160)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Scuttletide (30)

Total: 3000 / 3000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 500
Wounds: 180

...and one more artefact for the Hag... maybe give the Aetherquartz studded hide to her, the Glowy Howzit to the general and the dankhold boss a more fighty weapon like aqshy's exploding 6's or Chamon's re-roll 1 to W? Good combo with dankholdd boss ability me thinks.

Any thoughts/remarks/changes to the list?

44 minutes ago, Bozgum said:

...and one more artefact for the Hag... maybe give the Aetherquartz studded hide to her, the Glowy Howzit to the general and the dankhold boss a more fighty weapon like aqshy's exploding 6's or Chamon's re-roll 1 to W? Good combo with dankholdd boss ability me thinks.

Any thoughts/remarks/changes to the list?

The general consensus on Aetherquartz Studded Hide seems to be putting it on the Hag, as before she didn't have any viable options, and is actually good on her.

17 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

Spiderfang White Dwarf rules are very bad... Really bad... The trait is ignore spells and endless spells with a 5+.

I haven't seen them pop up anywhere yet, but does that trait affect the whole army or just spiderfang stuff? Grots ignoring spells might be pretty good at least

2 hours ago, Nezzhil said:

Only spiderfang... I think you are gonna see it soon.

Yep I've seen it now. The effects are pretty strong actually, with a LOT of good movement abilities and better unit composition in the battalions, but it doesn't help spiderfang with what they needed most. They really needed an additional offensive ability or casting bonus in there. If we see some good point decreases on spider riders/arachnaroks this could be pretty interesting though. With the amount of slots for arachnaroks in the battalions though it's making me wonder if some variant(s) of it will be battleline in the winter update.