AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

43 minutes ago, Dankboss said:

It's a nice box that has a clear focus, which is a direction their discounted boxes could learn from, rather than be random junk.

Are you bring sarcastic?

it’s two completely different armies in a box... one is squigs, the other is troggs... and they don’t synergise at all... unless you  count the bad moon!

I guess at least there isn’t a random moonclan loonboss like the beginner set.

Edited by C0deb1ue
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, C0deb1ue said:

Are you bring sarcastic?

it’s two completely different armies in a box... one is squigs, the other is troggs... and they don’t synergise at all... unless you  count the bad moon!

Honestly a few squigs arent a bad addition to a troggoth list, they can be cheapish objective nabbers and screens, plus boingrots are always good, and a unit of 6 rockguts is pretty solid as a solo unit in a non trogg list.

I would've rather seen some fellwaters over the loonboss but if dankholds end up getting a good warscroll rewrite this box is solid for squigs or trolls.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, C0deb1ue said:

Are you bring sarcastic?

I think everyone else answered for me lol

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Dankboss said:

I think everyone else answered for me lol

Yes I saw the responses... 

they were either collecting both armies, selling the other half or acting like you would actually put random troggs in Jaws of Mork or squigs in a mega mob (good luck with that). I guess it just depends on how broad your definition of focus is?!

yeah you can put anything with anything but you won’t because the points are too tight and the units don’t do enough without the synergy.

but im defo looking forward to seeing all the trogg/Squig mash-ups

Edited by C0deb1ue

It's focused because it contains strong concise elements to build an army with; Rockguts and Boingrots are found in numerable Gitz armies and you get a good amount of each, while it has two heroes that facilitate building said army.

Glogg's Megamob and Jaws of Mork aren't the only way people play, and even then I would still consider some hoppers in a trogg army or a unit of 6 Rockguts in Jaws.

I guarantee that there's many people who are thrilled with this box, as it allows them a discount for an army of functional models that they may otherwise not have been able to afford.

• Like 4

Like I said, we differ in what we would consider focused. I agree it's good value and "functional models" is a much more accurate description than focused.

Can you  imagine if they actually wanted to help the player and not just push excess models?

e.g.

Trogg battleforce: trogg boss/dankhold/fellwaters and rockguts +/- fungal

or

Squig Battleforce: Mangler/giant cave/squig herds and boingrots +/- fungal

...those are focused and lets someone field a coherent army straight out of the box. They would be amazing for beginners to pick up in terms of rules and models.

Edited by C0deb1ue
  • Thanks 1

or you could just start out with having the options of playing both sides and build up which side you want, which is also good for newer players.

the box gives you the ability to tryout if you want to play squigs or Troggs at the start which a pure force doesn't allow you to.

Just now, a74xhx said:

I've confused - there are 14 hoppers in that new box? What? How is that of any use?

(The picture shows 14. And the number at the bottom of the box says 22 miniatures. 6 Troggs + Dankhold + Giant Cave + 14 hoopers = 22).

i think14 squig has to be a printing error since the squigs and grot come in 5 on the spues so it not possible to have 4 without purposely taking out one.

some of the 40k also have this same error like the IG and space marine one

• Like 1

Just now, novakai said:

i think14 squig has to be a printing error since the squigs and grot come in 5 on the spues so it not possible to have 4 without purposely taking out one.

some of the 40k also have this same error like the IG and space marine one

Was just coming back here to say that the rumour thread has a AOS facebook reply. Apparently, there are 15. Which makes much more sense.

>some of the 40k also have this same error like the IG and space marine one

Someone in GW really wasn't paying attention when they did the box art! 😬

Just now, a74xhx said:

Was just coming back here to say that the rumour thread has a AOS facebook reply. Apparently, there are 15. Which makes much more sense.

>some of the 40k also have this same error like the IG and space marine one

Someone in GW really wasn't paying attention when they did the box art! 😬

must be some teleworking Intern lol.

On 11/16/2020 at 3:28 AM, C0deb1ue said:

Yes I saw the responses... 

they were either collecting both armies, selling the other half or acting like you would actually put random troggs in Jaws of Mork or squigs in a mega mob (good luck with that). I guess it just depends on how broad your definition of focus is?!

yeah you can put anything with anything but you won’t because the points are too tight and the units don’t do enough without the synergy.

but im defo looking forward to seeing all the trogg/Squig mash-ups

If you are starting a Troggherd there is some decent synergy. I mean, you are going to want more Troggoths obviously, but it's a solid start having a troggboss and two units to fill battleline requirements. Add some more Rockguts, Fellwaters, and a Shaman and you are pretty set. 15 Hoppers and a Hopper Loonboss may sound a bit disjointed, but it's actually a decent support group that can work independent from the Troggs. You can build them as a hammer using 15 Bounders and the Loonboss to be your mobile kill squad or you can build them as small squads of hoppers to run around and grab objectives (which troggs aren't great at). Last year's box was like a grab bag of random units, this one seems more intentional in how it's designed.

Edited by dirkdragonslayer

Well yes, the intention is to sell models they haven't sold enough of. GW is about making money and that’s fine.

If they wanted focus - same subfaction and if they wanted a taster set then more variety (those duplicate units could be fellwaters or Squig herd)

It’s relatively better than an awful box set last year... but it would be nice if we set the benchmark a bit higher.