AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

Rules for Glogg's megamob got leaked.

Army wide passive +1 to regeneration rolls.

Command Ability:

Oblivious to Sorcery: you can use it in YOUR hero phase on a unit of rockguts or fellwaters wholly within 12" of a dankhold hero. Until your next hero phase they ignore spells and endless spells on a 4+

Command Trait:

If the general is alive in the hero phase get a CP on a 4+

Artefact:

5+ shrug but only for mortals.

The battalion is Troggherd but 160 points and gives retreat and shoot/charge

Theres also another loonshrine warscroll update to return half a unit of fellwaters or rockguts. Surprisingly it doesnt require a troggoth general, unlike the squig one.

Overall seems like a fairly weak subfaction, and it does nothing for dankholds. Its a shame the artifact is only a mortal wound shrug since a 5++ would be great on a troggboss/hag.

Loonshrine update is great though.

Just now, C0deb1ue said:

oh one result definitely changes everything for sure.

There has been very few tournaments due to the current world situation, so it's not fair to say they're bad before they're properly tested. Regardless, that win was in one of the few that did take place.

1 minute ago, Dankboss said:

There has been very few tournaments due to the current world situation, so it's not fair to say they're bad before they're properly tested. Regardless, that win was in one of the few that did take place.

I didn't say it was bad. I said it wasn't a buff and the army needs some buffs >> more of the same leaves us in the same place (which is not a good place as per hundreds of games).

These battalions could have taken a few more risks but really its more of the same.  Rigid sub-factions with limited choices and a bit of mathshammer adjustment.

3 minutes ago, C0deb1ue said:

I didn't say it was bad. I said it wasn't a buff and the army needs some buffs >> more of the same leaves us in the same place (which is not a good place as per hundreds of games).

These battalions could have taken a few more risks but really its more of the same.  Rigid sub-factions with limited choices and a bit of mathshammer adjustment.

Well they barely detract, therefore they're a buff (to the appropriate army). Glogg's Megamob is certainly a buff; retreat and charge is incredibly powerful, especially in later turns, as is returning Troggoths; they become very efficient when you're getting around 100+ points back on a 4+.

Edited by Dankboss

12 minutes ago, Dankboss said:

Well they barely detract, therefore they're a buff (to the appropriate army). Glogg's Megamob is certainly a buff; retreat and charge is incredibly powerful, especially in later turns, as is returning Troggoths; they become very efficient when you're getting around 100+ points back on a 4+.

well quite frankly no, something that doesn't make you worse doesn't automatically make you better. It could just provide a choice of the same value as before (what I am trying to say). 

As with all "fun things" the loonshrine/bad moon etc may do nothing at all, that's kind of one of the big problems. But hopefully it least gives some variation in playstyle.

Edited by C0deb1ue

1 minute ago, Nezzhil said:

So, if you the Troggoth Hag is a Fellwater Troggoth you can use de Command ability to ignore spells and return the Hag with the Loonshirne?!

AHAHAHA you're actually right, the rules are keyworded, not as names, and the Hag has those keywords. RAW, yes, yes you can, and I don't think White Dwarf gets FAQs either.

8 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

So, if you the Troggoth Hag is a Fellwater Troggoth you can use de Command ability to ignore spells and return the Hag with the Loonshirne?!

obviously intended..... lol... I'll admit I have been proven wrong... that would/is? a mega buff.....

Edited by C0deb1ue

See, it's reasonably sound that she can be the target of Oblivious to Sorcery, that seems fine to me, but therefore she is also legally able to be brought back as per the matching keywords. The only fix is to change the wording on the Loonshrine to be Fellwater Troggoths (not bolded).

2 hours ago, C0deb1ue said:

well quite frankly no, something that doesn't make you worse doesn't automatically make you better. It could just provide a choice of the same value as before (what I am trying to say). 

As with all "fun things" the loonshrine/bad moon etc may do nothing at all, that's kind of one of the big problems. But hopefully it least gives some variation in playstyle.

i don't think people should expect that kind of change in WD rules, they usually just flun casual rules (bar the one from Slaanesh) and not meant to change much of the army.

if people want sweeping changes like warscroll rewrites and rule changes i feel like that will only come from supplements like what PA did for 40K or a new battletome.

boo; I was hoping I could cut Loonshrine from my budget by using a Squig-only battleline!  Now even with either a pile of Squigs or Rockguts it seems inevitably good.  

I'm actually convinced the Loonshrine has a downside in that it takes up space to maneuver on your side of the board.

13 hours ago, novakai said:

i don't think people should expect that kind of change in WD rules, they usually just flun casual rules (bar the one from Slaanesh) and not meant to change much of the army.

if people want sweeping changes like warscroll rewrites and rule changes i feel like that will only come from supplements like what PA did for 40K or a new battletome.

I mean that’s exactly what they have started doing with 40K. Harlequins/Deathwatch got big changes in white dwarf.

My concern is that rather than getting a revised battletome, we are getting these white dwarf mini-updates that don’t address the actual problems the book has. 

Edited by C0deb1ue

@Docthe3rd I have good news about my game against Dok!

I finally played the following list:

SPEARHEAD
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Lore of the Moonclans: Squig Lure
5 x Squig Hoppers (90)

MAIN BODY
Loonboss on Mangler Squigs (280)
- General [Trait and artefact from Jaws of Mork]
5 x Squig Hoppers (90)
12 x Squig Herd (140)

REARGUARD

Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig (110)
- Moonclan Stabba
10 x Boingrot Bounderz (200)

We played the battleplan changing priorities. I must say I had a bit of luck with the objective activation, but thanks to the huge mobility of the army overall.

As you said before, 5 hoppers on the spearhead are really good to pick the first objective, and you were 100% right. The first objective activation was on the other side of the map and I could reach it thanks to that, and I scored 3 free points.

With the main body out, I anihilated a group of witch aelves with a hag camping the activated objective of turn 2. 

On turn 3, 20 witch aelves buffed destroyed my unit of boingrot, but I could reach his cauldron with loonboss on mangler (with an impressive 21 movement+run roll) and anihilated it.  Also moved hopers to screen my mangler from the 20 witches.

By this point game was decided, but we continued playing and the mangler charged the witches for a major victory.

Some thoughts:

1- Squig herds were almost useless, they are too slow to even reach anything. I think that they need hand of gork, but that means no squig lure (which prooved to be usefull).

2-Moon was useless, it even skipped the center... and the only benefit I had was the 1d3 mw to one enemy unit, only once.

3-The reroll movement of jaws of Mork is nuts, it helps a lot to solve the randomness from squigs.

4-Loonboss on mangler was THE MVP, he anhihilated everything he charged to (also his command ability is helpful).

5-Fungoid is a must, I was lucky and got an extra CP every turn. I used all of them and some rerolls were decisive, so I like your idea to spent 50p on one extra CP.

6-I couldn't play the bounderz as they where removed when they appeared, but if I had another unit of them, it would have been great.

Overall it was a funny game. I will keep playing with my list and try to master it, but as soon I can get a box of bounderz, I will change to yours. I think you have done a really good optimization with it, also thank you for all your advice!

PD: One question, if a unit of 5 hoppers gets killed and it comes back from loonshrine, will they return 3 or 2 models? 

31 minutes ago, Walkirriox said:

@Docthe3rd I have good news about my game against Dok!

I finally played the following list:

SPEARHEAD
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Lore of the Moonclans: Squig Lure
5 x Squig Hoppers (90)

MAIN BODY
Loonboss on Mangler Squigs (280)
- General [Trait and artefact from Jaws of Mork]
5 x Squig Hoppers (90)
12 x Squig Herd (140)

REARGUARD

Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig (110)
- Moonclan Stabba
10 x Boingrot Bounderz (200)

We played the battleplan changing priorities. I must say I had a bit of luck with the objective activation, but thanks to the huge mobility of the army overall.

As you said before, 5 hoppers on the spearhead are really good to pick the first objective, and you were 100% right. The first objective activation was on the other side of the map and I could reach it thanks to that, and I scored 3 free points.

With the main body out, I anihilated a group of witch aelves with a hag camping the activated objective of turn 2. 

On turn 3, 20 witch aelves buffed destroyed my unit of boingrot, but I could reach his cauldron with loonboss on mangler (with an impressive 21 movement+run roll) and anihilated it.  Also moved hopers to screen my mangler from the 20 witches.

By this point game was decided, but we continued playing and the mangler charged the witches for a major victory.

Some thoughts:

1- Squig herds were almost useless, they are too slow to even reach anything. I think that they need hand of gork, but that means no squig lure (which prooved to be usefull).

2-Moon was useless, it even skipped the center... and the only benefit I had was the 1d3 mw to one enemy unit, only once.

3-The reroll movement of jaws of Mork is nuts, it helps a lot to solve the randomness from squigs.

4-Loonboss on mangler was THE MVP, he anhihilated everything he charged to (also his command ability is helpful).

5-Fungoid is a must, I was lucky and got an extra CP every turn. I used all of them and some rerolls were decisive, so I like your idea to spent 50p on one extra CP.

6-I couldn't play the bounderz as they where removed when they appeared, but if I had another unit of them, it would have been great.

Overall it was a funny game. I will keep playing with my list and try to master it, but as soon I can get a box of bounderz, I will change to yours. I think you have done a really good optimization with it, also thank you for all your advice!

PD: One question, if a unit of 5 hoppers gets killed and it comes back from loonshrine, will they return 3 or 2 models? 

Congratulations on your victory!

Regarding the Loonshrine ability, you get to round fractions up. So 5 Hoppers will be revived as 3 Hoppers. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Walkirriox said:

@Docthe3rd

Some thoughts:

6-I couldn't play the bounderz as they where removed when they appeared, but if I had another unit of them, it would have been great

Glad to hear it worked out! I agree with most of these points - the first 2 ME games I played with my list (when the Squig Herd was still in it) I think I just got lucky since I could camp them on the objectives near the deployment zone... so I never had an issue there, but they definitely are wicked slow when you don't get the random movement. The Loonboss on Mangler is killer in ME... with even roughly normal die rolls for charges it can get rid of most units, you just have to make sure it can consistently get there. And I feel you on the Bounderz... they're definitely glass cannon-y, you can either get there and wreck everyone or they don't even get to do anything, which is why I usually take 2 units of 10 as basically the entirety of my rearguard (I don't have the Loonboss on GCS). Keep on hopping!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, C0deb1ue said:

I mean that’s exactly what they have started doing with 40K. Harlequins/Deathwatch got big changes in white dwarf.

My concern is that rather than getting a revised battletome, we are getting these white dwarf mini-updates that don’t address the actual problems the book has. 

I mean I get being pessimistic and all but I don’t think Gloomspite is in the niche tier like those two armies are. 

I am pretty sure every army get a revised battletome when the new editions comes out so that is not a concern

broken realm is sort of a we don’t have any information regarding what it will do in AoS. But they did confirm that every current battletome army will get something from it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, novakai said:

I mean I get being pessimistic and all but I don’t think Gloomspite is in the niche tier like those two armies are. 

I am pretty sure every army get a revised battletome when the new editions comes out so that is not a concern

broken realm is sort of a we don’t have any information regarding what it will do in AoS. But they did confirm that every current battletome army will get something from it

Now that we're out of the phase of giving every army an aos 2.0 book (DoK, Idk etc were written with 2.0 in mind), I imagine we won't be seeing new tomes for a while so they can focus on expansions.

• Like 1

So what's the overall thoughts on Jaws of Mork so far? I'm playing around with trying out a list for it but I'm sure what I should aim for drops-wise and artefact-wise. Here's the current list I'm thinking of, but I'm kind of concerned that the Snufflers are going to be useless after turn 1 or 2 though and that maybe I should put in a Webspinner Shaman instead for a 3rd caster, Sneaky Distraction and help getting out the Scuttletide while keeping the list at a 4 drop?

Spoiler

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz

Leaders
Loonboss on Mangler Squigs (280)
- General
- Command Trait: Envoy of the Overbounder
- Artefact: The Clammy cowl
Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig (110)
- Moon-cutta
- Artefact: Syari Screamersquig
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Lore of the Moonclans: The Hand of Gork
Madcap Shaman (80)
- Artefact: Moonface Mommet
- Lore of the Moonclans: Squig Lure

Battleline
12 x Squig Herd (140)
12 x Squig Herd (140)
5 x Squig Hoppers (90)

Units
10 x Boingrot Bounderz (200)
10 x Boingrot Bounderz (200)
6 x Sneaky Snufflers (70)

Behemoths
Mangler Squigs (240)

Battalions
Moon-Biter Squigalanche (90)
Moon-Jumper Stampede (140)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Prismatic Palisade (30)
Scuttletide (30)
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 148

14 hours ago, C0deb1ue said:

Harlequins/Deathwatch got their update in a White Dwarf since their factions are on the bottom rung of popularity in 40k. The rumor was that they didn't think they could sell enough PA books focused on the two factions, with many third party retailers saying those two armies sell the worst. I would not be surprised if 9th edition has Harlequins get absorbed by the Craftworld, like when the Black Templars and Legion of the Damned got absorbed by the standard Marines. I am not sure if their treatment is comparable to what we see in AoS white dwarf armies. the AoS updates seem to be focused on adding flavor to existing armies, not updating them like with Deathwatch. The Fyreslayer and Nurgle one only came out 2-3 months after their battletome iirc.

Also as a Destruction/Xenos player, I don't really expect to get an updated book every year. Or stuff tends to be once an edition, sometimes with rules in campaign books like Vigilus. Yeah the book is a little out of date, but the Gloomspite tome came out last year, it wasn't that long ago. I see the Jaws of Mork and Glogg's Mob stuff as something to encourage different army compositions without needing to print a new book, since the battletome allegiance abilities in the book kind of favored Moonclan (with the Loonshrine abilities and Stabba respawning)

• Like 2