AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

1 hour ago, Docthe3rd said:

So I actually just played a ME list with Jaws of Work the other day! I went for the following:

Spearhead:

Fungoid Cave Shaman (w/ squig lure)

5x Squig Hoppers

Main body:

Loonboss on Mangler Squigs (w/ general with all Jaws of Mork stuff)

5x Squig Hoppers

Rearguard:

10x Boingrot Bounderz

10x Boingrot Bounderz

Nice list! I see the great potential of Boingrot Bounderz, as half of them can come back with a 4+ using Jaws of Mork, so you can play more aggressive, which is amazing. It's a shame I only have 10 right now, but it may change in the near future! How did you played that list? Is it good to save the "big charge" for turn 3 (Rearguard)?  

I put the boingrots in the main body to position and hit hard next turn. I saved the hoppers for the rearguard to have some support where I need them (as they have good movement). 

I usually play against DoK, and I need some screen to protect key units (moreover with squigs as they are glass canon), that's why I thought squig herd would be a good addition. Also they can hold objectives being a cheap unit.

It's my first time playing a full squig list (thanks to Jaws of Mork, ofc), do you have any general tips?

I, in keeping with the way that I usually play games, went full-aggro, using hoppers to screen somewhat and hold onto objectives. My first turn is usually spent using the Cave Shaman to camp on an objective (the one closest to my territory) and then squig lure-ing the hoppers to get another one. Then when the other stuff comes in, just charging in as much as I can. 

My bounderz are in the rearguard almost by necessity - since they're double sized, non-battleline units, they have to be in the rearguard, but the ability to deal upwards of 10 mortal wounds on a charge is (to me) too good to pass up. I'd have to test them out in units of 5 to see how they work before mixing up their placement, but how I've usually played I deploy them with the rear guard (usually in range of the Cave Shaman), pray that I can hit both of them with squig lure, and then get close enough to cause damage. The mortal wounds and +1 to wound after a charge have really been helping me out recently, especially against ME-sized units. 

I've never played against DoK, so I can't really help there... but I've run over Ogor Mawtribes, Seraphon, and Cities of Sigmar lists with the one I did above... the Loonboss on Mangler Squigs can absolute wreck ME-sized units (I had multiple situations over those last 3 games where I didn't even get to finish all of the attacks since they killed the unit before I got there). But in my (admittedly somewhat limited experience), the Cave Squigs don't stick around long enough to really act like a screen - I've been finding that at a minimum sized unit, 2-3 will get killed in combat and then the rest book it as soon as Battleshock tests comes around, so I switched to the Squig Hoppers. We'll see how long they stick around, though, since I'm still in the testing stages with them. I also, admittedly, don't go much for competitive play in my playgroup,  since I figured the army will either win or lose REALLY quickly... so I think someone else can probably help out in that aspect. 

EDIT: Also, I forgot to mention - I also buy an extra command point, since the models themselves only total to 950 points. 

Edited by Docthe3rd

17 hours ago, Docthe3rd said:

My bounderz are in the rearguard almost by necessity - since they're double sized, non-battleline units, they have to be in the rearguard, but the ability to deal upwards of 10 mortal wounds on a charge is (to me) too good to pass up. I'd have to test them out in units of 5 to see how they work before mixing up their placement, but how I've usually played I deploy them with the rear guard (usually in range of the Cave Shaman), pray that I can hit both of them with squig lure, and then get close enough to cause damage. The mortal wounds and +1 to wound after a charge have really been helping me out recently, especially against ME-sized units.

Lol... you are right, my list is illegal actually... I will move hoppers to main body and boingrots to rearguard with loonboss on cave squig to help them with movement. This, plus squig lure, can put them where it's needed.

17 hours ago, Docthe3rd said:

...the Cave Squigs don't stick around long enough to really act like a screen - I've been finding that at a minimum sized unit, 2-3 will get killed in combat and then the rest book it as soon as Battleshock tests comes around, so I switched to the Squig Hoppers. We'll see how long they stick around, though, since I'm still in the testing stages with them. I also, admittedly, don't go much for competitive play in my playgroup,  since I figured the army will either win or lose REALLY quickly... so I think someone else can probably help out in that aspect. 

I don't expect them to survive any charge, actually dok will destroy anything they charge, so my intention is just put them there as a cheap screen so they soak the charge and get destroyed, while the next turn I have good positioning to counter charge and hopefully destroy them with mangler/boingrots. My thoughts are that whoever charges first and remove the key units, will win. If I spend 70p (the cheapest unit) to protect my mangler/boingrots, and I'm successful, that's almost a win. 

It's true that hoppers are good options too, a bit expensive to throw them to the death,  but sure more reliable with better movement and stats overall. 

The extra CP is interesting as this playstyle seems hard CP consuming. May consider this but I don't know what should I remove, maybe the unit of herds from main body, because now I have hoppers there.

Please, keep updating us with your testing and your results, I will write up my thoughts after the game of this weekend against dok. 

1 hour ago, Walkirriox said:

I don't expect them to survive any charge, actually dok will destroy anything they charge, so my intention is just put them there as a cheap screen so they soak the charge and get destroyed, while the next turn I have good positioning to counter charge and hopefully destroy them with mangler/boingrots. My thoughts are that whoever charges first and remove the key units, will win. If I spend 70p (the cheapest unit) to protect my mangler/boingrots, and I'm successful, that's almost a win. 

You aren't wrong - but when I used them, they never even got to screen a charge. Someone would throw a ranged attack their way and they'd run, so they never really had the intended effect of screening a charge. For me, spending the extra 40 points (20 each for the units of squig hoppers) was worth it to maybe make the stick around bit longer. 

1 hour ago, Walkirriox said:

The extra CP is interesting as this playstyle seems hard CP consuming. May consider this but I don't know what should I remove, maybe the unit of herds from main body, because now I have hoppers there

I'm not sure how CP consuming it actually is versus how it is because of my luck rolling dice... I find myself using a lot of CP to re-roll 1's to hit for Bounderz/Mangler Squigs to really make sure that thing goes down. Plus, there's nothing for 50 points in Gitz.

A possibility that I'm considering but I'm not 100% sold on is to have 2 units of cave Squigs and a unit of hoppers instead of the 2 units of hoppers, but I don't know if that that'll be too many light-hitting units 

1 hour ago, Jymmy said:

When is the next white dwarf announced?? I’m loosing hours of sleep waiting to see if  the next tome celestial will contain Spiderfang allegiance rules...

Same weekend as when the son of Behemat comes out

edit: tome celestial comes out every other issue though

Edited by novakai

1 hour ago, Jymmy said:

When is the next white dwarf announced?? I’m loosing hours of sleep waiting to see if  the next tome celestial will contain Spiderfang allegiance rules...

No, they alternate AoS-40k content so the next after the Troggoth WD must contain 40k content.

Other point, I don't expect Spiderfang will receive any content. The units are very old and you can only bought them from the GW website. The Tome Celestial are an strategy to improve the selling of some units. I think it's more easy for them to add some battalions for Skragrott, Fungoid, Gobbapalooza, Snufflers or Fanatics.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nezzhil said:

No, they alternate AoS-40k content so the next after the Troggoth WD must contain 40k content.

Other point, I don't expect Spiderfang will receive any content. The units are very old and you can only bought them from the GW website. The Tome Celestial are an strategy to improve the selling of some units. I think it's more easy for them to add some battalions for Skragrott, Fungoid, Gobbapalooza, Snufflers or Fanatics.

The arachnarok has been on the best selling page for ages now, and it and the scuttleboss go out of stock pretty frequently.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do get a supplement of some sort.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ganigumo said:

The arachnarok has been on the best selling page for ages now, and it and the scuttleboss go out of stock pretty frequently.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do get a supplement of some sort.

If a product is frequently out of stock doesn't mean that it's selling so well. It could be that the production is very low and it's selling fast because that.

We don't have any Celestial Tome for a lot of armies that sells well. We have Celestial Tomes for armies with new miniatures, and I don't have any hope about Spiderfang as I don't have any hope to have a Celestial Tome for BoC, CoS or Ogors... :(

yeah if you look at the history of tome Celestial it all been new AOS armies (stormcast, fyreslayers, Slaanesh, Nighthaunt, Ironjawz, OBR, and Gloomspite)

also i would feel it be a bit unprecedented to have 3 gloomspite tomes in a row.

problem i feel is that until GW actually update the spiderfang range they are just going to leave them at where they are right now

Spiderfang remain one the best selling ranges in the Gloomspite product line. The GW website is constantly selling out of Arachnaroks and spider riders. Now, just imagine if they gave us new spider riders and a new scuttleboss? I don’t think GW realizes just how popular this range is. One would think if the older stuff is selling out, imagine what new stuff would do. 

Anything new on the Troggoth faction/battalion? Was it coming in this WD?

Also I think I there won't be a new Troggoth model. But that they will (again) rebox the Fellwaters. They already put them on rounds. But they were factionless then (not sure why they bothered back then?).

2 hours ago, Pitloze said:

Also I think I there won't be a new Troggoth model. But that they will (again) rebox the Fellwaters. They already put them on rounds. But they were factionless then (not sure why they bothered back then?).

We may see a Community Article soon, as they've begun previewing WD, but otherwise no.

When they referred to Sulphur Breath Troggoths, I think it was just for the lore, like the Battletome mentions several other types, although not by name.

9 hours ago, novakai said:

yeah if you look at the history of tome Celestial it all been new AOS armies (stormcast, fyreslayers, Slaanesh, Nighthaunt, Ironjawz, OBR, and Gloomspite)

also i would feel it be a bit unprecedented to have 3 gloomspite tomes in a row.

problem i feel is that until GW actually update the spiderfang range they are just going to leave them at where they are right now

2 in a row seems unprecedented already, My theory since we're getting even 2 in a row is that Gitz won't be featured in Shattered realms at all, and this is the way they're giving us new rules. If the next one is spiderfang/moonclan I'd be almost certain of this.

3 hours ago, Pitloze said:

49 minutes ago, Dankboss said:

We may see a Community Article soon, as they've begun previewing WD, but otherwise no.

When they referred to Sulphur Breath Troggoths, I think it was just for the lore, like the Battletome mentions several other types, although not by name.

My thoughts are the Sulpur Breath Troggoths might show up in a supplemental product, they sound like they would be  a pretty good fit for a Warcry beast.

Kraken-Eater might be a legit option for gitz. He gets to kick an objective 2d6 IN the hero phase. So if he managed to take an objective the turn before. You can teleport 60 grots behind him. Kick the objective back into the group (need to be 1 inch away from models). And then move the K.E forward while the grots hold on to that objective. He can even give them inspiring presence since he's a hero!

Two problems. I'm not sure he counts as 20 models outside of SoB. And I'm not sure how easily he moves around the board. But he's on a 160mm base. So 2D6 from that is quite generous.

I just ordered my 3 Mega Gargants this morning. I truly believe that gargants look best among themselves. My Rockgut Troggoth army looks great on its own. If I were to bring in a Mega Gargant, it would kill the Troggoth theme and actually weaken the army significantly. You only get Sons of Behemat rules if you’re playing the actual army anyways. While I’m sure a towering Mega Gargant would look great among the grots, it would look odd and out of place amongst the Rockgut army I’ve built. Now, let’s get those new Troggoth rules so we can make our drooling fiends even droolier than before!

I reckon a Mega Gargant will be a good pick for Gitz; having a 35 wound Hero is a big deal in an army that really needs Heros alive. I'm going to build a Warstomper and see how it plays (although I've mainly bought it for my brother's StoD). He can capitalize on the Gitz' love of -1 to hit with his mercenary rules, and it's a massive area he's projecting it over to protect other units. He also doesn't lose much damage, or none vs infantry as he'll always be making 10 attacks.

On 10/3/2020 at 6:23 AM, Scythian said:

Contrary to public opinion, Troggoths do not need smaller charge blocker units to be competitive. Everything you need to be successful is right there if you have enough experience to prepare for it. Aelfric, I play against top notch killer players with killer lists every other weekend. I’ve beaten them plenty of times with my Rockguts. A good Troggoth player needs to know how to use the endless spells in conjunction with the Moonclan magic to block and reroute the opponent right into the hands of his units. You cannot use these goofy 3 man units and hope to be successful. Rockguts are always best in 9 or 12 man groups. You need the high numbers to sweep enemy units off of objectives. You need 3 Fungoids to give you those extra command points. Lastly, you need to know how to position your units for the inevitable steamroller charges that sweep the enemy units into oblivion. 

I've been thinking about what you said above about tactics and it is clear that I have some learning to do when it comes to Troggoths.  I'd be grateful if you could elaborate on the use of Endless spells - I presume that mainly involves the Scuttletide for blocking but are the others of use such as the Mushroom.  Which spells do you give your Fungoids; do you double-up on Hand of Gork or Itchy Nuisance.   Is it worth taking a Webspinner to get +1 to cast Scuttletide .

(Also any advice against 4 Celestar Ballista and 3 units of Judicators would be useful as that's what I'll be facing in my next match-up :) )

With the new sub-faction about to come out any advice would be gratefully received - thankyou.