AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

Hi, I’m new to AoS, I need help for a good starting 1k army list. I like grots and squigs in the same list.

I read the previous lists, mostly at 2k/or mono squigs but they aren’t for me and I’m a bit confused about what could be a good core to start this faction.

thank you!

On 8/24/2020 at 6:02 PM, baiardo said:

Hi, I’m new to AoS, I need help for a good starting 1k army list. I like grots and squigs in the same list.

I read the previous lists, mostly at 2k/or mono squigs but they aren’t for me and I’m a bit confused about what could be a good core to start this faction.

thank you!

Hi @baiardo, new player here too with a few games played in 1k points. If you don't mind my lack of experience i can share my thoughts on the way to go at that points range.

I build my lists mixing moonclan and squigs too so i go for a general who let me get in squig herds as battleline, whos actually i put in only because are a cheap bag of wounds, so i usually run a loonboss on mangler squig. For the other battleline requiered i stack a bunch of stabbas. At some point i mind to upgrade to a horde army of 2k, so i usually take 40 stabbas.

After that i'll try to combine heroes and units go can sinergize between them. Maybe a few fungoid cave shamans, or madcap if i run out of points, and a loinboss to bosts the stabbas and and a unit of fanatics to throw them with the hand of gork. Or two units of boingrot bounderz to follow the mangler and try to be agressive, ussually that path ends with them smashed on the floor but if the dices rolls nice they do a decent damage.

I hope i helped a bit, im barely new to aos. And excuse me for my rubbish english, im not a native speaker :)

• Like 2

On 8/29/2020 at 10:02 PM, ****** said:

Hi @baiardo, new player here too with a few games played in 1k points. If you don't mind my lack of experience i can share my thoughts on the way to go at that points range.

I build my lists mixing moonclan and squigs too so i go for a general who let me get in squig herds as battleline, whos actually i put in only because are a cheap bag of wounds, so i usually run a loonboss on mangler squig. For the other battleline requiered i stack a bunch of stabbas. At some point i mind to upgrade to a horde army of 2k, so i usually take 40 stabbas.

After that i'll try to combine heroes and units go can sinergize between them. Maybe a few fungoid cave shamans, or madcap if i run out of points, and a loinboss to bosts the stabbas and and a unit of fanatics to throw them with the hand of gork. Or two units of boingrot bounderz to follow the mangler and try to be agressive, ussually that path ends with them smashed on the floor but if the dices rolls nice they do a decent damage.

I hope i helped a bit, im barely new to aos. And excuse me for my rubbish english, im not a native speaker :)

Thank'you!

I want to start with a solid base not only "for fun" list, which I like, but also a bit competitive 1k list or at least good for expanding at 1,5/2k
I'm still undecided, there is a way to get good value of the start collecting?

Like:

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz

LEADERS

Loonboss (70)

Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)

UNITS3 x Dankhold Troggoths (570)

12 x Squig Herd (140)

20 x Stabbas (130)

- Pokin Spears & Moon Shields

TOTAL: 1000/1000 WOUNDS: 83

Don't know if can be good or not haha!

or maybe this:

LEADERS

Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)

- GeneralMadcap Shaman (80)

Loonboss (70)

UNITS

40 x Stabbas (260)

12 x Squig Herd (140)

5 x Loonsmasha Fanatics (140)

10 x Boingrot Bounderz (200)

ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTSMalevolent Maelstrom (10)TOTAL: 990/1000 WOUNDS: 102

however..

..Your english is fine!

Edited by baiardo
  • Like 1

I can't say nothing about the first list because i not played, yet, with dankhold troggoths. Some day i would like to try them.

The second one looks like the ones i like to use. If you don't mind i'll steall you the list for my next battle, i'll change the fungoid and the malevolent maelstrom for another madcap and scutlettide because i want to get used with to the scutlettide.

I think it's a good and fun list to start and build around it. But just my newbie opinion :) 

13 hours ago, baiardo said:

I'm still undecided, there is a way to get good value of the start collecting?

In my opinion is worth it enough if you don't have the models in the box, even if the rockgut troggoth aren't staples on gitz list i like them and i played a unit of 3 a few times, at some point i'll try a unit of 6 and  launch them with the hand of gork and see what they do.

• Like 1

yeah I messed up with the first list, I choose dankhold instead of rockgut...so I would play something like this:

LEADERS

Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)

Loonboss (70)

- General

Madcap Shaman (80)

UNITS

3 x Rockgut Troggoths (140)

40 x Stabbas (260)

5 x Loonsmasha Fanatics (140)

12 x Squig Herd (140)

ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS

Malevolent Moon (40)

TOTAL: 960/1000 WOUNDS: 94

but in the end I don't know if this is good enough, the second list like you said could be better!

• Like 1

Played in a friendly tournament over the weekend and went 2-1-2. Had a Jaws of Mork list with both battalions (I posted the list a while back). The list is crazy fast (and consistently fast with the reroll for moves). I was on the opponents face on turn 1 every game. However the problem is that we really don't have anything that hits hard enough to destroy enough enemies to not die horribly in retaliation. For example 30 buffed DoK witches or 20 buffed Hearthguard are just impossible to shift. Managed to tie against Fyreslayers though since the mission didn't allow his battleline to leave their deployment (you needed BL to hold objectives). If it was a proper battle I wouldn't have had no chance. Threw 2 mangler squigs, cave squig loonboss and 10 bounders at them and managed to kill about 5 and lost everything in retaliation. Against DoK I was effectively tabled by end of second round. Won against Sylvaneth and Stormcast.

The balance of this game is just so out of whack really. Could be that I'm just missing something or Gitz are truly only a fun (read: bad) army.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Weazel said:

Played in a friendly tournament over the weekend and went 2-1-2. Had a Jaws of Mork list with both battalions (I posted the list a while back). The list is crazy fast (and consistently fast with the reroll for moves). I was on the opponents face on turn 1 every game. However the problem is that we really don't have anything that hits hard enough to destroy enough enemies to not die horribly in retaliation. For example 30 buffed DoK witches or 20 buffed Hearthguard are just impossible to shift. Managed to tie against Fyreslayers though since the mission didn't allow his battleline to leave their deployment (you needed BL to hold objectives). If it was a proper battle I wouldn't have had no chance. Threw 2 mangler squigs, cave squig loonboss and 10 bounders at them and managed to kill about 5 and lost everything in retaliation. Against DoK I was effectively tabled by end of second round. Won against Sylvaneth and Stormcast.

The balance of this game is just so out of whack really. Could be that I'm just missing something or Gitz are truly only a fun (read: bad) army.

Gitz are definitely on the lower end of the power scale, and Fyreslayers are definitely near the top because hearthguard are so powerful. DoK are also quite good, but its probably a bad matchup since Squigs(possibly all of gloomspite) don't really have any way to effectively break the synergy combos in DoK.
I've only gotten one game in with Jaws of Mork, but I'm considering the value of 12 man squig herd units, I used a few big ones in my game which were ok but exploded as expected. Running them as respawning Kamikaze screens backed up by Bounderz might be an interesting way to take them. They're cheap, with 12 only being 140 points, hit hard, and can still be fairly quick. 5" move with rerolls on run and charge, 3" bonus move from the loonboss and access to run and charge. The only downside is not fitting into a battalion well.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Weazel said:

I think Squig are just not as competitive choice compare to Grot hordes and that where the mileage is in the battletome.

of course GSG is not in a really great place either and they really need some rule updates and rewrite especially on the key bingo problem/ allegiance abilities and sub factions.

i guess the only thing right now is to hope Gitz get a good update in Broken realms since that probably where the next updates it coming 

12 hours ago, Weazel said:

But against Sylvaneth, Jaws of Mork give you a better chance, don't they? The opponent didn't have time to shoot?

With an old list, would he have had time to snipe your mangler?

What can beat 30 buffed DoK witches...? A colossal may be ? Did you try to focus Mangler and boingrot on this ?

7 hours ago, Drazarius said:

But against Sylvaneth, Jaws of Mork give you a better chance, don't they? The opponent didn't have time to shoot?

With an old list, would he have had time to snipe your mangler?

What can beat 30 buffed DoK witches...? A colossal may be ? Did you try to focus Mangler and boingrot on this ?

Well he only had 3 Archers, but my speed kinda surprised him and I managed to take down Durthu with my Mangler Boss on first turn. The mission was Scorched Earth and the speed really helped me reach his lines. I couldn't really touch his Kurnoth Hunters though, those guys are just absolute beasts.

Focusing doesn't really work in the game because of how combat order works: I can attack with one unit and the other unit that didn't attack yet is going to get destroyed. I much prefer 40k style of all chargers fight first, where you actually gain a substantial advantage from charging. Not sure how that would affect the dynamic of AoS, but if would make dealing with said DoK and Hearthguard at least a theoretical possibility.

Edited by Weazel

Jaws of Mork is a competitive suballiance that improves the squig lists and makes better the mixed armies, but the mixed armies are two steps below the average lists of other armies.

The problem with Jaws of Mork is the same you have with the old squigalanche armies, you have very poor matchups that you can't afford, so it is an army for a 4-1 in the best of the tournaments. 

Although, squigs continue to have very favourable matchups so Jaws of Mork is a very good list in team tournaments.

Another point, are the grot lists, they are the more balanced options we have to go to a solo tournament, but we haven't got any good matchups so all the games are very hard to win.

I agree in general @Nezzhil, playing Grots will be a pretty bleak experience most of the time, because they do have lots of bad matchups and most of them are on-meta power armies. 

Most trending armies will shoot off your Heroes, switch off your magic or probably both.  And then you're left with a rabble that will Battleshock off the table in two turns.  Seraphon for example have better movement, better magic, better combat and better shooting.  Good luck.

I do think mixed / Grot heavy lists still have a few good matchups (although they're definitely behind the curve overall).  Negs to hit are still great against Stonehorns for example, and you should be able to get Blightking spam hitting on 5s or 6s, then outscore them on the scenario while you slowly get tabled. Even Fyreslayers might have trouble getting around your Endless Spells and working through your bodies in time.

They also have a couple of good Battleplans: the pie-plate A-Rok can get the gold on Focal Points (being within 6" of multiple objectives simultaneously), and even Scorched Earth for that matter.  It also helps that Grot Battleline is decent for missions like Better Part of Valour and Shifting Objectives.

I guess I'm just being devil's advocate really, because I do believe they are struggling and already need a new book (the current one was really a failed experiment), but I wouldn't completely rule out taking them to a 2-dayer until I'd seen the pack.  

Next question: What do you think are the best matchups for Squigs?  And are you thinking full alpha-strike big Batallion here?

I think our best matchups are the lists that requires short ranged shooting to destroy us but they haven't got enough screens to stop your little boingy-boyz, very slow armies or lists with few wounds and very low armour... Our worst matchups are defensive lists or longshot armies.

Jaws of Mork don't need to destroy your opponent to win, we are crazy fast. I win a few games because I captured all the objectives during two rounds and my opponent can't get enough points when my army was almost destroyed in the two last rounds.

• Like 2

Hello, all! Long-time lurker, first-time poster as a guest.

I'm playing in an Open War campaign at my FLGS that's mostly inspired by the campaign guidelines in GHB20, and there's nine of us playing for territory. I'm neighboring FEC and open war with him is now unavoidable. I'm looking for insights on how best to shut down his flying circus of dead things. We're also all running the build-a-bear generals from Anvil of Apotheosis so I won't list them below, but they haven't been difference makers for him...yet.

His FEC list:
- Ghoul King on Terrorgheist
- Ghoul King on Terrorgheist
- Abhorrent on Zombie Dragon
- 3 Crypt Flayers
- 3 Crypt Flayers
- Abhorrent Archregent on Foot
- 20 Crypt Ghouls
- 20 Crypt Ghouls

My GSG list:
- 1 Webspinner Shaman on Arachnarok Spider
- 1 Fungoid Cave Shaman
- 1 Gobbapalooza
- 3 Fellwater Troggoths
- 60 Stabbas with Spears, Nets, Banners, Gong
- 40 Stabbas, Nets, Banners
- 40 Stabbas, Nets, Banners
- 20 Shootas, Nets, Banners
- 10 Loonsmasha Fanatics
- 5 Sporesplatta Fanatics

What do?

On 9/2/2020 at 12:45 AM, Nezzhil said:

The problem with Jaws of Mork is the same you have with the old squigalanche armies, you have very poor matchups that you can't afford, so it is an army for a 4-1 in the best of the tournaments.

I'm not going to say that I'm confident that you are wrong, but I'm curious about a couple of things:

• How many games have you gotten in with Jaws of Mork that have left you confident about particular matchups being very poor? What matchups in particular worry you?
  • How many different configurations have you tried?

I know that the whole "4-1 army" thing is a trope and I tend to think that it's a bit overstated. Every list has bad matchups (especially on certain battleplans), and if you happen to draw the wrong opponent on the wrong battleplan you are going to have a hard time. For a list to consistently 5-0 the best tournaments it basically needs to be clearly OP AND played by top level players. Maybe such a list exists right now, but it might not.

Adam Slovak's list is really interesting because it's really quite different from classic squigalanche type builds. It's focusing much more on hoppers than bounders, an approach that just wasn't very viable before. JoM brings hoppers up to the point where their explosive speed can actually matter, and their mortal wounds ability gives you another dimension of attack that allows you to threaten support characters much more effectively.

My first instinct with JoM was to jam bounders, but the more I think about it the more I think that hoppers could really be a better core.

• Like 4

Hey everyone,

I'm hoping for some critiques on my Squigalanche List, which I've included below. I've played a couple of games with it in my campaign and it feels kind of... wrong. I want to know if I'm playing it wrong, or if there are some things I could do to improve it. 

A few changes from the list that will show up:

1) I'm using the Jaws of Work now, so the artifacts and command traits are not accurate, and will instead be the ones for Jaws of Mork

2) The wizard I've got with Itchy Nuisance actually has The Hand of Gork.

Thanks for the help! 

2000 pt.pdf

On 9/6/2020 at 6:28 AM, swarmofseals said:

Adam Slovak's list is really interesting because it's really quite different from classic squigalanche type builds. It's focusing much more on hoppers than bounders, an approach that just wasn't very viable before. JoM brings hoppers up to the point where their explosive speed can actually matter, and their mortal wounds ability gives you another dimension of attack that allows you to threaten support characters much more effectively.

My first instinct with JoM was to jam bounders, but the more I think about it the more I think that hoppers could really be a better core.

Couldn't agree more!  I'm genuinely tempted to buy a heap more Hoppers now.

Just got my second game in with my spiderfang army, this time against nighthaunt (he was playing a hexwraith list). We did scorched earth and I ended up losing by a very small margin.

Leaders
Scuttleboss on Gigantic Spider (100)
- General
- Command Trait: Monstrous Mount
- Artefact: Totem of the Spider God
Webspinner Shaman on Arachnarok Spider (280)
- Artefact: Headdress of Many Eyes
- Lore of the Spiderfangs: Sneaky Distraction
Webspinner Shaman (80)
- Artefact: Nibbla's 'Itty Ring
- Lore of the Spiderfangs: Scuttling Terrors

Battleline
15 x Spider Riders (300)
15 x Spider Riders (300)
5 x Spider Riders (100)

Behemoths
Arachnarok Spider with Flinger (220)
Arachnarok Spider with Spiderfang Warparty (220)

Battalions
Arachnarok Spider Cluster (100)
Spider Rider Skittermob (120)
Spiderfang Stalk (110)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Scuttletide (30)
Soulsnare Shackles (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 3
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 122

My experience so far has been that the units are pretty inconsistent. Arachnaroks are just too slow with a base that size, so its very difficult to position them around terrain, and get them where you need them. The 5 man unit of spider riders just grabs objectives and/or dies which is fine, and the 15 man units are large enough to be able to take some lighter hits and be able to hit back effectively. In this game one 15 man unit got blown down to 9, then did some work, while the other one was an overpriced objective grabber.

Scuttleboss always puts out good damage with this build and I managed to get the double mortal spell on him this game before he got blown up (6 wounds on a 4+ is super squishy).

The game went pretty well overall but my biggest gripe about spiderfang in general is the weak support, without the totem, arachnarok spell, or bad moon the units just don't hit hard enough, and none of those effects are reliable, the totem is only a small 12" bubble, and a +1 to cast just doesn't cut it anymore.

I was tempted to try out Jaws of Mork, since you can give a webspinner shaman the command trait for battleshock rerolls, but monstrous mount is just too tempting.

Not quite sure how I should revise the list, if I swap out the 2 arachnaroks for skitterstrands and drop the stalktribe and cluster for a skitterstrand nest that would give me 140 points leftover, then if I dropped shackles I could fit another scuttleboss and a madcap maybe? Although squeezing in some fellwaters could be useful

2 hours ago, Scythian said:

Spiders are very hard to make work. I tried them as well, but found they were better on paper than in practice. 

Yeah I can't wait until Gitz get their Broken Realms update, I suspect spiderfang will get some love there based on arachnaroks are constantly on the "selling fast" tab and how often they go out of stock. They're the only part of the army that didn't get updated models in some fashion too, so hopefully we see a couple, although I'm a bit torn on new spider riders, on the one hand they need new sculpts, on the other I would need to repaint nearly my whole army. What I would like most is a new scuttleboss kit that also builds non hero variants like pusgoyle blightlords (I know that kit bothers people, but its also efficient and  imo a kit like that is preferable to just one or the other)

It wouldn't take much to put spiders in a decent spot honestly, just giving the scuttleboss the pre-battletome Command ability (Spider venom on 5s and 6s), or giving that command ability to the subfaction would go a LONG way to adding consistency to the army.