AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

5 hours ago, Malakithe said:

Yeah why publish them at all if they are just thrown in the trash barely a year later?

I mean, they could make it count, if each GHB would include WD-rules from the previous years 'that made the cut', so WD-rules are used in the sense of an open-beta before the official update. But that means less initiative for 'new' battletomes with that extra portion of power creep beloved by all.  Instead there is a small point drop here and there, but hey, this is a business. Still I would prefer if they include WD-rules in the future.

Edited by Okonomiyakimarine

- All the army can re-roll to determinate de move characteristic
- Loonshirne for Squig Herds, Squiggling Hoppers and Boingrot Bounderz.

- Squigalanche, after the deployment up to D3 units from this battalion can move up to 6"

- Command Ability: You can pick 1 friendly Mangler at any phase. Until the end of that phase you ignore the wounds to determinate de table.

-Command Trait: You can re-roll battle shocks units wholly within 12" of the general
-Artifact: At the start of the combat, pick 1 enemy hero within 3". All the attacks add +1 to hit made with melee weapons that targets that hero.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dankboss said:

Am I right in what I heard, that the Loonshrine Warscroll has been updated to allow squig units to come back if the general is a Squig? Because that's a big deal for gitz.

Yep, but think about this. The commad trait and the artifact don't require that the general/hero must be a squig... So... Finally we have a very good artifact for a Trogboss, and reroll the battleshocks for troggs are superb.

Just now, Nezzhil said:

Yep, but think about this. The commad trait and the artifact don't require that the general/hero must be a squig... So... Finally we have a very good artifact for a Trogboss, and reroll the battleshocks for troggs are superb.

Could you explain? Surely they'd be locked into Jaws of Mork?

6 minutes ago, Dankboss said:

Wouldn't that prevent the Troggboss making troggs battleline? Are you able to give a rundown of what these rules are?

No, it says that all your Gloomspite Gitz units get the Keyword "Jaws of Mork". But the army is like always.

Only the new Loonshrine or the Battalions have requirements.

• Like 1

Just now, Nezzhil said:

No, it says that all your Gloomspite Gitz units get the Keyword "Jaws of Mork". But the army is like always.

Only the new Loonshrine or the Battalions have requirements.

Right, so the Moon works as usual; so we're effectively playing Gitz with extra rules?

Could you share what the new trait and artifact is?

1 minute ago, Dankboss said:

Right, so the Moon works as usual; so we're effectively playing Gitz with extra rules?

Could you share what the new trait and artifact is?

Trait: You can re-roll failed battleshock tests for friendly Jaws of Mork units wholly within 12" of this general.

Artefact: At the start of the combat phase, you can pick 1 enemy Hero within 3" of the bearer. If you do so, until your next hero phase, add 1 to hit rolls for attacks made with melee weapons by the bearer that target that Hero.

1 minute ago, Nezzhil said:

Trait: You can re-roll failed battleshock tests for friendly Jaws of Mork units wholly within 12" of this general.

Artefact: At the start of the combat phase, you can pick 1 enemy Hero within 3" of the bearer. If you do so, until your next hero phase, add 1 to hit rolls for attacks made with melee weapons by the bearer that target that Hero.

I think that trait will be competing with Loonskin and Alpha Trogg, as they can all affect battleshock.

The artifact kinda gives half a Ghyrstrike back to the Troggboss, but it is situational. Funnily enough, my Troggboss doesn't get to fight much since his Rockguts have already plastered the target across the board.

Are these locked into the subfaction? I.e you can't take other traits/ the artifact must be the first?

1 minute ago, Dankboss said:

I think that trait will be competing with Loonskin and Alpha Trogg, as they can all affect battleshock.

The artifact kinda gives half a Ghyrstrike back to the Troggboss, but it is situational. Funnily enough, my Troggboss doesn't get to fight much since his Rockguts have already plastered the target across the board.

Are these locked into the subfaction? I.e you can't take other traits/ the artifact must be the first?

You are locked as always happens with the subfactions.

I think we'll see in mixed armies with a heavy component of squigs. I don't think that subfaction is only for the squigalanche players.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nezzhil said:

You are locked as always happens with the subfactions.

I think we'll see in mixed armies with a heavy component of squigs. I don't think that subfaction is only for the squigalanche players.

Well the Troggboss is becoming a good pick in this meta, so having him as an anchor point with these new rules for squigs could be useful, since he's granting them +1 bravery and rerolls.

The artefact seems to have an exploit. The effect of the artifact lasts until the start of my next hero phase, but you use the artefact at the start of ANY combat phase so, I can accumulate various +1 to hit to the same Hero until he dies or start my next turn.

The battalion rules seem to be swapped because the Massive Fang-filled weapon is from the Giant Squig.

This is a pretty good addition to Gitz; it was Squigs and Spiders that really needed help imo, so that's one of them fixed. Grots and Troggoths are fine for the most part.
We do have a year of these rules being legal, and by then it would have been over 2 and half years since Gitz were released, so I can see this being applied to the next Gitz book; it might even be aligned to sync up with each other. It's a good thing we got this straight after the GHB.

On another note I just had my Troggoth Hag humiliate Be'lakor by unbinding his spell and dealing 2 mortal wounds, feed him to the cauldron and then vomiting on him to finish him off.

• LOVE IT! 1

so... the JoM keyword is

• a free addition
  • that gives us the movement re-roll from the SRJ aka no need for it (+140 pts)
  • it also enforces the use of the new command trait and artifact (as a first selection at least)
  • which is not too bad, because the the command trait can be used to enhance the chance to fail battleshock tests with suicidal squid herds that also double their damage with the new battalion (-140 pts), but is helpful with more regular use like ALL THE TIME (at least when away from the shrine ofc ), okay no herds in the moon jumper stampede, sorry, no extra fun for you! You cannot fail deliberately, well, the rules departments missed out big time here :P
  • the command ability favors 'circling' through manglers, which is nice, because the battalions' 0–x manglers finally make some sense at least.
  • the super-battalion ability is not super strong, but also it is rather flexible and only enforces one regular mangler.
  • you do not have to take at least 40 grots to finally enjoy the loon shrine!

quite interesting!

edit 1: you could run the super-battalion bare-bone for as little as … 110+90+90+240+140+90=760

edit 2: sadly, I had to correct myself 

edit 3: list idea. went rather pure plus quite some shamans. I think this could be better with sporesplatta screen + stabbas. thoughts?

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz

Leaders
Loonboss on Mangler Squigs (280)
- Artefact: Syari Screamersquig
Madcap Shaman (80)
- Artefact: Moonface Mommet  
- Lore of the Moonclans: The Hand of Gork
Madcap Shaman (80)
- Artefact: Staff of Sneaky Stealin'  
- Lore of the Moonclans: The Hand of Gork
Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig (110)
- General
- Moon-cutta
- Command Trait: Envoy of the Overbounder 
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Lore of the Moonclans: Itchy Nuisance

Battleline
5 x Squig Hoppers (90)
5 x Squig Hoppers (90)
5 x Squig Hoppers (90)
24 x Squig Herd (280)

Units
15 x Boingrot Bounderz (300)

Behemoths
Mangler Squigs (240)

Battalions
Moon-Rider Rider Stampede (140)
Moon-Biter Squigalanche (90)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Scuttletide (30)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 150

Edited by Okonomiyakimarine
  • Thanks 1

This ought to solve the squig's problem of being a glass hammer without glass hammer support, in that they'll be doing enough damage to prevent immediate retaliation. Squigs did decent damage as they were, but not enough to be a true glass hammer, like Slaanesh.

Squig mounts with a damage potential of 4 each is actually really good; that makes them similar to Demigryphs and that's significant. Sneaky Snufflers will give them some crazy damage.

I'm expecting this to bump Gitz up by a whole tier (to like, tier C or B).

49 minutes ago, Okonomiyakimarine said:

edit 3: list idea. went rather pure plus quite some shamans. I think this could be better with sporesplatta screen + stabbas. thoughts?

A unit of 20 stabbas in all lists is a must for me. I don't think you need 2 Madcaps, and I tend to run Itchy Nuisance on the one with the Mommet since he's going to be getting close to his targets more often than backline wizards.

On another note, I'm glad the Mommet is picking up traction. I have it as a must take, especially against StoD (and OBR) and their reroll saves. They don't get to reroll if they don't get to save.