AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

Having just built some Rockgut Troggoths (wonderful minis FWIW, insanely customizable yet still coherent-looking) I'm pondering what colours to paint them. My gitz are from Ulgu, and the average grot wears orange robes, so I want something that contrasts with that whilst not actually clashing. I'm tempted to go for a sort of beetroot-purple for the skin, getting darker on the rocky scales and transitioning to a dull beige for the bellies, maybe with a much brighter orangey-amber for the crystal details?

30 minutes ago, Evil Eye said:

Having just built some Rockgut Troggoths (wonderful minis FWIW, insanely customizable yet still coherent-looking) I'm pondering what colours to paint them. My gitz are from Ulgu, and the average grot wears orange robes, so I want something that contrasts with that whilst not actually clashing. I'm tempted to go for a sort of beetroot-purple for the skin, getting darker on the rocky scales and transitioning to a dull beige for the bellies, maybe with a much brighter orangey-amber for the crystal details?

I think a bluish dark grey with accents of orange on the weapons would work. I think the battletome has an example of a dark tone Rockgut.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dankboss said:

I think a bluish dark grey with accents of orange on the weapons would work. I think the battletome has an example of a dark tone Rockgut.

Right, that sounds like a good idea. And I know the one you mean- rather a nice scheme it has to be said.

Hi everyone, at the end of a project and looking into my next - 1000 points of Gitz!  

here’s the list I’m looking to build.  

Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig

Fungoid Cave Shaman

10 Boingrot Bounderz

10 Boingrot Bounderz

10 Boingrot Bounderz

6 Sneaky Snufflers

20 Stabbas

that makes 1000 points on the dot.  I really like the models of the Bounderz, but I could see a big unit of Hoppers being useful as well.  

I have Looncurse, and some old Battle for Skulls pass Stabbas.  The only thing I would need to make this list is two boxes of the Gitz Warcry warband.  

im not looking to be super competitive, this will be a fun list to play at 1k when not playing IDK, which has been extremely effective in my community, so I just Want to have some fun with the Gitz.

3 hours ago, Rhetoric said:

Hi everyone, at the end of a project and looking into my next - 1000 points of Gitz!  

here’s the list I’m looking to build.  

Fungoid Cave Shaman

10 Boingrot Bounderz

10 Boingrot Bounderz

10 Boingrot Bounderz

6 Sneaky Snufflers

20 Stabbas

that makes 1000 points on the dot.  I really like the models of the Bounderz, but I could see a big unit of Hoppers being useful as well.  

I have Looncurse, and some old Battle for Skulls pass Stabbas.  The only thing I would need to make this list is two boxes of the Gitz Warcry warband.  

im not looking to be super competitive, this will be a fun list to play at 1k when not playing IDK, which has been extremely effective in my community, so I just Want to have some fun with the Gitz.

neither sneaky snufflers nor boingrot bounders fulfill battle line. You need 5 hoppers!

edit: since you mentioned that the list would be based on looncurse plus stabbas try this:

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz

Leaders
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Lore of the Moonclans: Squig Lure
Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig (110)
- General
- Moon-cutta
- Command Trait: Dead Shouty  
- Artefact: The Clammy cowl  
Madcap Shaman (80)
- Lore of the Moonclans: The Hand of Gork

Battleline
12 x Squig Herd (140)
5 x Squig Hoppers (90)
20 x Stabbas (130)
- Pokin Spears & Moon Shields

Units
15 x Boingrot Bounderz (300)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Malevolent Moon (40)

Total: 980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 98

Edited by Okonomiyakimarine

4 hours ago, Okonomiyakimarine said:

neither sneaky snufflers nor boingrot bounders fulfill battle line. You need 5 hoppers!

edit: since you mentioned that the list would be based on looncurse plus stabbas try this:

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz

Leaders
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig (110)
- General
- Moon-cutta
Madcap Shaman (80)

Battleline
12 x Squig Herd (140)
5 x Squig Hoppers (90)
20 x Stabbas (130)

Units

Malevolent Moon (40)

Total: 980 / 2000
Wounds: 98

Thank you, this looks pretty cool.  Thanks for the advice!  

Building on that list attempt: what does everyone think about a Mangler-less Squig&Grots list? Or Squig&Grots in general? I feel that with a blob of 60 Grots the Boss on Mangler sure is a nice hammer to hit the opponent once stopped by the Grots-anvil, but I wonder if there is a place for Mangler-less lists? Does a standard exist for Squigs&Grots?

Leaders
 (110)
- General
- Moon-cutta
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Lore of the Moonclans: The Great Green Spite
Madcap Shaman (80)
Zarbag (160)

Battleline
60 x Stabbas
 (360)
- 9x Barbed Nets
- 1x Moonclan Flag Bearers
- 1x Badmoon Icon Bearers
5 x Squig Hoppers (90)
24 x Squig Herd (280)

Units
7 x Zarbag's Gitz (0)
6 x Rockgut Troggoths (280)
5 x Loonsmasha Fanatics (140)
6 x Sneaky Snufflers (70)

Malevolent Moon
 (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 215

For standard grotspam, after choosing loonbosses, various grot wizards, stabbas, snuffers and fanatics, are we better off with a some rockgut/ fellwater trolls in the final slots, or are boingrots  or something more killy like mangler squigs/ dankhold better ?  What stuff best synergizes with all the grots ?

5 minutes ago, Tittliewinks22 said:

Is the webspinner shaman on A. Spider worth taking if you have no other spiderfang models in the list?

Recently picked up the model, not sure which loadout I want to build it with.

Yeah!, a Webspinner on A.Spider with the spell Sneaky Distraction is one of the best wizards in the army. Also, the Scuttletide with a +2 to cast is very hard to unbind.

A very hard combo is a list with a Webspinner and Skragrott as wizards of the army.

38 minutes ago, a74xhx said:

kO4l0ql57UyxaldR.jpg

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/08/11/jaws-of-mork-a-squigalanche/

That seems reasonable. Guess it'll depend on cost

Well it is great and Would help our squigs a lot.

it’s just so sad to know , that it will loose it’s worth in the next ghb.

so I’m not sure if I care enough to buy that white dwarf

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Sad 1

I can only hope that with the next GHB, they'll acknowledge WD publications. I know people have complained about it. It's completely illogical to create something with a one year lifespan, that is otherwise legal for matched play. I recall Warhammer Weekly discussing just having an archive on the website for these rules.

Space Marine codices last longer than these...

Well, it's one complete year with new rules... I think it's fine if it is your main army as Gloomspite are for me.

The battalion is very good if the other rules make the Squigalanche a better glass cannon, if the other rules are fine the battalion is trash. The problem with the squigs are the low damage ratio they make, so when you play them you usually lose because you can't kill your enemies and then your units die with low tier units because the squigs are so fragile.

6 minutes ago, Dankboss said:

Yeah, Squigs are great but not when it's all Squigs. They lack the glass cannon support that Slaanesh gets.

If the subfaction permits to include grots or troggoths, we can have a very good mixed army... We need to be cunnin' lads.

2 hours ago, a74xhx said:

kO4l0ql57UyxaldR.jpg

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/08/11/jaws-of-mork-a-squigalanche/

That seems reasonable. Guess it'll depend on cost

Its the same composition as the squig rider stampede, which puts it in direct competition. I feel like this could be better for hoppers since they might be fast enough without the rerolls on their move.

Also despite the Loonboss on great cave squig not being a part of the battalion, the attack profile for his squig is listed as one of the attacks that gets buffed.

12 hours ago, Ganigumo said:

Its the same composition as the squig rider stampede, which puts it in direct competition. I feel like this could be better for hoppers since they might be fast enough without the rerolls on their move.

Also despite the Loonboss on great cave squig not being a part of the battalion, the attack profile for his squig is listed as one of the attacks that gets buffed.

Its attack profile might be listed, but the rule clearly says "used by units from this battalion", so, nope… Only units listed may be effected by the rule and only units run within this battalion ('drop') get the bonus.

I think one could probably run it in parallel with boingrot bounders in the squid rider stampede and the squid hoppers in the moon jumper stampede as an alternative to the squigalanche super-battalion – all depending on costs obviously. We won't get that one drop army anyway. What would likely be more effective is a more divers list, where you hand of gork your now heavier hitting squigs forward and have smaller hopper units being more effective, if they meet a unit they really want to charge.

@Aeryenn

I think its in reference to some sweet battalions featured fron white dwarf (Dolorous Guard for Nighthaunt was awesome!) and with the latest GHB basically stateing that WD battalions are non matched play legal and suggests getting opponent permission to use them first. 

Its kind of a silly move on GWs I think...