AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

On 2/22/2020 at 5:44 AM, Malakithe said:

Made a 3rd list. I kinda like this one over the other 2.

I like the 3rd list the most - but i would swap out the Morkshroom for something different.

You will probably always cast hand of gork and squig lure, so you only have one try per endless spell with your deffcap mushroom. Dunno, would be a bit frisky for me with no pluses to cast and limited casting. You want to get up there fast with your squigs i think and the Nukeshroom will only hurt you. The scuttletide could be usefull and allways is a nice tech tool for us gitz for 30 points.

On 2/24/2020 at 11:51 PM, DerZauberer said:

I like the 3rd list the most - but i would swap out the Morkshroom for something different.

You will probably always cast hand of gork and squig lure, so you only have one try per endless spell with your deffcap mushroom. Dunno, would be a bit frisky for me with no pluses to cast and limited casting. You want to get up there fast with your squigs i think and the Nukeshroom will only hurt you. The scuttletide could be usefull and allways is a nice tech tool for us gitz for 30 points.

That makes sense. My thought was using it for scare tactics plus area denial to control the board a bit. Wouldnt be a proper squig list without a chance at mishap and disaster lol high risk, high reward

Hi there, long time lurker here!

I'm a fan of the squigs and started playing AoS just to put some of these bitey red testicles on the tabletop. Coming from 40k, where I played up to a couple of months ago some true cancer, I willfully chose the squigs in order to field a "middle ground" army (if I read the AoS tiers lists correctly) and enjoy the struggle/fun without fielding a billion goblins and win through boredom. Right now, though, I'd really need some help to decide where my 1000 points list should branch to in order to reach the 1500 points milestone.

At the moment, I'm playing a Loonboss on Mangler Squigs, two Fungoid shamans, two herds of 10 squigs each and 10 Bounderz (they are absolutely incredible and have surprised many an opponent, I don't knwo why they are so underestimated), with 60 spare points for either a Scuttletide + another endless spell, or a Malevolent Moon to ****** with enemy wizards.

I'd like to keep the army as squiggy as possible, with the inclusion of a bunch of stabbas that, from what I was told at my LGS, are a necessity due to reliable ground control AND the free use of our terrain's resurrection ability. Still, 60 Stabbas mean 340 points down the drain, and I have prepared three possible lists. Every possible insight or suggestion will be highly appreciated!

LIST ONE

Spoiler
  • Loonboss on Mangler Squigs (general, Gryph-Feather Charm, Fight Another Day)
  • Fungoid Shaman (Hand of Gork)
  • Fungoid Shaman (Squig Lure)
  • 10x Squig Herd (+2 herders)
  • 10x Squig Herd (+2 herders)
  • 60x Stabbas
  • 15x Boingrot Bounderz
  • Chronomantic Cogs

Total: 1480 points.

The idea is to either go first with a backline shaman casting Squig Lure and Cogs out of deny range and press the charge, or go second playing conservatively around the Loonshrine and follow the aforementioned steps with the help of the Bad Moon shining on my troops turn 2. However, I'm not sure if just one behemoth will be enough, since I have been unable to test my AoS army that much up to this point.

LIST TWO

Spoiler
  • 15x Squig Herd (+3 herders)
  • 10x Boingrot Bounderz
  • 10x Boingrot Bounderz

Total: 1490 points.

No Cogs this time, so I'll try to go second and camp the Loonshrine to avoid Battleshock tests, keeping the Command Point. The Hand of Gork will help me teleport the squigs around if they need to hold an objective too far away or they are hopelessly tied in combat with a superior enemy.

LIST THREE

Spoiler
  • 5x Squig Herd (+1 herder)
  • 40x Stabbas
  • 10x Boingrot Bounderz
  • 1x Colossal Squig

Total: 1500 points.

This list is completely different. The smallest Squig herd will hold the safest objective, the Loonboss + Boingrots + Squigs will head towards the heart of the enemy's formation, while the Colossal Squig tries to sneak around with the 4d6 movement towards an unsuspecting target. The Stabbas will march to the nearest objective and sit there.

What do you think?

As I wrote, I'm still a noob at AoS and only tried my hand on 1000 points against Orruks, Slaanesh, Khorne and Nighthaunts, so I don't know how my angry testicles would fare against other armies.  Is my list building completely wrong or it makes sense? What should I go for?

NOTE: I understand that huge STabbas globs are the way to go, but I'd really rather not play another tedious horde army with a billion dice rolls. I just love the squigs and throwing magic around, if possible with a decently competitive list. I won't ever bring my army to a huge tournament (or I would have started with Slaanesh), but I'd still like to be able to stand against another army without being skinned alive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

80756a0a.jpg

New SC box for Gloomspite, what do you guys thinks?

Looks pretty good to me, the only thing might be that the Loonboss doesn't have much interactions with the squigs (outside of making them battleline) and the Troggs, but seems like a good box to start the army off for newer players

• Like 1

well I think a lack of synergy is a rules problems and won't be solve until the next update (whenever that happens) through either a new Battletome or Psychic awakening/ Wraith of the Everchosen like updates. 

one thing I do find disheartening is that Gloomspite doesn't even have Clan or Stormhost rules, which can sometimes give the army that boost in power. Andy Clark did do a good job on the book and the lore, but powercreep and some keyword bingo and unreliability in the rules kind of hampers the books playability.

unless they lessen up the keyword bingo, the only compelling way to play Gloomspite is through Hordes of Grots, stacking minus to hit and spamming Endless spell with cheap wizards.

Still from a hobbyist prospective, the SC box is pretty cool

Perhaps Gloomspite will get the WD treatment and we'll see a battalion (or two) involving Troggs and Squigs led by a Loonboss - it would certainly increase sales.  I may pick one up anyway as I've been thinking of screening my Troggs with Squig Herd, and more Troggs is always nice..  You can never have too many Troggs.

• Like 2

On 2/29/2020 at 5:11 PM, Maserdom said:

Every possible insight or suggestion will be highly appreciated!

I like list one and two the most.

List two seems to pack a punch and be all about the angry testicles. You got a solid core of 20 Boingrots and the Manglersquig, some casting and CP regenration and 45 squigs to camp objectives or flank. Squig herds can dish out some serious damage, but you need to keep some hereos around them to babysit, to maybe spend a CP on them not fleeing when not in combat ( just 2 wounds let you loose more models on a 3+ dice with the threat of damaging your stuff).

List one utilizes our best unit in the book: grots. They are just amazing and you got a huge block of green dudes to cover up your squigs and choose the right turn to pounce. In addition you can make full use of your loonshrine.

I'm not a fan of the colossal squig tbh, would always prefer a mangler to a colossal.

In a squig based list i love MSU shootas, they can camp objectives, screen, do some support shooting and cover your squigs. Also the Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig is a huge bonus for his points to squigbased lists and does decent damage, +3" move on random squig move numbers is huge. The difference between moving 2" and 5" in the worst is massive. Luckily hes avaliable now from the Looncurse set.

My list would be something like this:

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz
Loonboss on Mangler Squigs (280)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig (110)
- Moon-cutta
20 x Shootas (120)
20 x Shootas (120)
10 x Boingrot Bounderz (200)
10 x Boingrot Bounderz (200)
12 x Squig Herd (140)
12 x Squig Herd (140)

Total: 1490 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 154

Is the Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig actually that good?

I'm not doubting your expertise, it's just an honest question. In the matches I have played, my army has been incredibly CP starved: if at least one Fungoid doesn't create an extra point every turn, I have to choose between the Mangler's amazing command ability and whipping a unit back to the field before it flees. Knowing that the Bad Moon will give me an extra CP if my general is under its light has always prompted my opponent to bait the Manglers out of the square with the Bad Moon, taunting me with the choic of a free CP while the Mangler stays out of the fight or killing some models and forfeit the second CP.

That point spent for the +3'' of movement seems extremely expensive for this army, for something (the extra inches) that the opponent will simply account for when he places his models on the board.

On 3/2/2020 at 1:22 PM, Maserdom said:

In the matches I have played, my army has been incredibly CP starved

Gloomspite actually is an army that generates CP like no other, there are armies out there where making choices between command abilites is far more difficult. You can end up anyhwere between 1 and 4 CP per turn, this is by far more then other armies.

You will use the Mangler CP in combat, the Giant Cave Squig CP in turn 1 and/or 2 to get up the board. It will make 2/3 of your army faster and therefore getting them where you need them. If you ever roll close to a two you get the feeling of importance the Giant Cave Squig gives you and on average having 10" instead of 7" is quite huge. Another thing about squigs is that your opponent cant realy account for your movement, as you have very random movement. And you want to be as fast as possible on your enemy with squigs, as you are so very vulnerable to shooting. 

I would never skip him as soon as i'm running 10-20 boingrots, having 200-400 points moving 2"-4" is game breaking and can really mess up your turn. But those are of course just my experience with him. Also, he can dish out some good damage and is a fast hero who can support your squigs should your mangle get shot of the board.

Well, that makes sense. 3 more inches in all directions at least will make my opponent reconsider his plan,  and forfeiting the first turn in favor of sitting under the Loonshrine for the free Battleshock immunity allows me to use the first CP for the Mangler Squigs command ability without fear.

The list could be:

Spoiler

Loonboss on Mangler Squigs (general, Gryph-feather Charm, Fight Another Day)

Fungoid Cave-shaman (Squig Lure)

Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig

12x Squig Herd

12x Squig Herd

10x  Boingrot Bounderz

Malevolent Moon or Scuttletide

Total: 1000/1000 or 990/1000 with Scuttletide

Shouldn't be too bad.

I'm planning on doing a tournament in the summer and I've never played in a tournament before. I threw this list together but I'm pretty inexperienced. I'm most worried about the petrifex matchup.

Mortal Realm: Chamon

Leaders
Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig (110)
- Moon-cutta
Loonboss on Mangler Squigs (280)
- Artefact: Rune Blade
Madcap Shaman (80)
- Artefact: Moonface Mommet
- Lore of the Moonclans: Itchy Nuisance
Skragrott, The Loonking (220)
- General
- Lore of the Moonclans: Squig Lure

Battleline
24 x Squig Herd (280)
12 x Squig Herd (140)
6 x Squig Herd (70)

Units
6 x Sneaky Snufflers (70)
5 x Boingrot Bounderz (100)
5 x Boingrot Bounderz (100)

Behemoths
Mangler Squigs (240)

Battalions
Squig Rider Stampede (140)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Balewind Vortex (40)
Mork's Mighty Mushroom (90)
Scrapskuttle's Arachnacauldron (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 156

Hi guys, critiques on this spiderfang list?

Leaders

Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)

• Lore of the Moonclans: The Hand of Gork

Webspinner Shaman on Arachnarok Spider (280)

• Artefact: Totem of the Spider God

• Lore of the Spiderfangs: Scuttling Terrors

Scuttleboss on Gigantic Spider (100)

• General

• Command Trait: Monstrous Mount

• Artefact: The Black Fang

Battleline

30 x Spider Riders (540)

10 x Spider Riders (200)

10 x Spider Riders (200)

Behemoths

Arachnarok Spider with Spiderfang Warparty (220)

Skitterstrand Arachnarok (200)

Battalions

Spider Rider Skittermob (120)

Scuttletide (30)

Total: 1980 / 2000

Extra Command Points: 1

Allies: 0 / 400

Wounds: 152

Any critique would be greatly appreciated, bought a second hand lot and is pretty much the entire lot (there's an extra 10 spider riders if they can be utilised).

More list advice....

Sorry to add another list or two to advise on but not quite sure where to take my squigs at 2k .... going pure squigs at the mo with some magic (have access to malign sorcery  and faction endless....)

>> havn't seen many net decks (boooo)  for squigs only as they don't seem very competitive but still want s decent list...

Staple:

Loonboss on Mangler + Loonboss on giant cave squig

3 fungoids - itchy nuisance/hand of gork/squig lure  (3 too many?)

2x 10 Boingrots

Scuttletide

Flex:

Battleline: 3x 12 squig herd       vs           24/6/6

>>>>whats better, small or big herds and how many bodies do I need in a 2k list for objectives..

Behemoth: 2x Mangler Squigs (too many?)            Vs                 one mangler and more endless spells /sneaky snufflers/more squig herd or boingrots

>>>> again really don't know what works better at 2k as only just started playing but dont want to buy a third mangler if it's just a terrible idea....

I also was wondering what anti-range tech exists in the faction if anyone had easy answers? 

any advice greatly appreciated!

Edited by C0deb1ue

17 hours ago, Hagbean said:

Hi guys, critiques on this spiderfang list?

Leaders

Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)

• Lore of the Moonclans: The Hand of Gork

Webspinner Shaman on Arachnarok Spider (280)

• Artefact: Totem of the Spider God

• Lore of the Spiderfangs: Scuttling Terrors

Scuttleboss on Gigantic Spider (100)

• General

• Command Trait: Monstrous Mount

• Artefact: The Black Fang

Battleline

30 x Spider Riders (540)

10 x Spider Riders (200)

10 x Spider Riders (200)

Behemoths

Arachnarok Spider with Spiderfang Warparty (220)

Skitterstrand Arachnarok (200)

Battalions

Spider Rider Skittermob (120)

Scuttletide (30)

Total: 1980 / 2000

Extra Command Points: 1

Allies: 0 / 400

Wounds: 152

Any critique would be greatly appreciated, bought a second hand lot and is pretty much the entire lot (there's an extra 10 spider riders if they can be utilised).

I'm not super experienced with spiderfang, but you could fit that into the superbattalion if you cut out a bunch of spider riders. I've heard 15 is the sweetspot for spider riders too

4 minutes ago, C0deb1ue said:

More list advice....

Sorry to add another list or two to advise on but not quite sure where to take my squigs at 2k .... going pure squigs at the mo with some magic (have access to malign sorcery  and faction endless....)

>> havn't seen many net decks (boooo)  for squigs only as they don't seem very competitive but still want s decent list...

Staple:

Loonboss on Mangler + Loonboss on giant cave squig

3 fungoids - itchy nuisance/hand of gork/squig lure  (3 too many?)

2x 10 Boingrots

Scuttletide

Flex:

Battleline: 3x 12 squig herd       vs           24/6/6

>>>>whats better, small or big herds and how many bodies do I need in a 2k list for objectives..

Behemoth: 2x Mangler Squigs (too many?)            Vs                 one mangler and more endless spells /sneaky snufflers/more squig herd or boingrots

>>>> again really don't know what works better at 2k as only just started playing but dont want to buy a third mangler if it's just a terrible idea....

I also was wondering what anti-range tech exists in the faction if anyone had easy answers? 

any advice greatly appreciated!

3 fungoids is probably too much, thats 270 points. You'd be better off running skragrott, ideally with the arachnocauldron and a balewind which is 300 points for a much better wizard. He generates a similar number of CP if he's your general with the added bonus of controlling the moon once per game.

Otherwise i would recommend swapping one of those fungoids for a madcap shaman. The madcap can still double cast once per game and has a spell to give a unit -1 to be hit by shooting attacks. More importantly he has access to the Moonface Mommet artifact which gives a nearby unit -1 save. Squigs at effectively rend 2 can chew through a ton of stuff.

I've run squig herds in 18/12/6 which seemed fine. 

One mangler + support is probably the way to go, snufflers are amazing in squig lists so you should bring at least one unit.

For anti ranged gloomspite gets sporesplat fanatics, madcap shaman, and the malign sorcery endless spell prismatic palisade.

1 hour ago, Ganigumo said:

For anti ranged gloomspite gets sporesplat fanatics, madcap shaman, and the malign sorcery endless spell prismatic palisade.

I addition to what has been said, Squig Hoppers are able to bounce over every single endless spell, doing some damage and bounce back to savety, something your opponent might not be able to do.

20 hours ago, C0deb1ue said:

Are the squig battalions worth taking?

Squig rider stampede is really good, it helps your bounderz be more consistent and nets you an artifact.

Squigalanche is a bit weak, 6" fight & pile in is good, but it only working under the bad moon makes it too limiting. The cost and organisation force you to use a hero on a squig as well, since only 2 squig herds fit into the battalion meaning you can't afford to use skragrott to get the bonus when you need it. The battalion also doesn't include any snufflers or wizards, when you really want access to squig lure and/or the snuffler buff. If it was a bit cheaper, or had 3 squig herds in it it would be much better but as it stands its pretty unreliable.

Thanks for all the advice... made a list below (im playing super casual) but it feel like squigs and spells!

Leader:

Skagrott - Hand of Gork (General)

Loonboss Mangler - ClammyCowl

Madcap Shaman - squig lure/itchy nuisance) - Momet/Night shroud

Battleline:

Big Squig Herd 24                     (to maybe go up middle and stand next to arachnocauldron/snuffler buff)

2x 6 Squig Herd                          (to screen etc maybe Hand of Gork)

6x Snufflers                                    (buff and probs Hand of Gork)

Battalion  =>> Squig Rider Stampede

2x 10 Boingrots 

Mangler Squig 

Assorted endless spells:

Scuttletide, ?Arachnocauldron, ?Geminids >Malevolent (spell denial) ?Aethervoid Pendulum.

Knowing which endless spells is the most confusing and not sure about what to put on the madcap!

6 hours ago, Equinox said:

If playing a 1000 point squig themed list with a Loonboss on giant squig as the general, what command trait and arcane item would you suggest?  

Fight Another Day + Gryph-feather Charm is an invaluable combo. I'd suggest, though, getting a Loonboss on Mangler Squigs as your general, since it benefits way more from our traits and relics than a regular Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig.

The Mangler will usually push farther than your army with its 3d6 movement (and eventual Squig Lure for a free d6 extra of movement) and he'll be able to charge into the enemy, pop the crew's red mushroom, deal a ton of wounds thanks to the command ability and charge bonus, and jump back to safety with Fight Another day. Bonus points for keeping an empty zone behind your advancing line of squigs (that moved too slowly to follow the boss on the charge) in order to reliably let the Mangle jump back behind said line of meat shields once he has fought and decimated the enemy unit.

I play a 1000 points squig army with acceptable success and this tactic surprises most opponents.

Spiderfang: dunno, I fear spiders and would/could never even touch the models, so I didn't research their synergies.

Squig: only the Mangler Squig, since it's a moderately self-sufficient unit. The Boingrot Bounderz are amazing, but the Loonboss on Mangler Squigs' command ability (+1 to wound) is extremely important for their successs, and when missing you'll feel its need. Unfortunately, the aforementioned Loonboss is too high of a point tax for making them work if you aren't building a squig army, unlike a regular Loonboss and the blob of stabbas he babysits.

Also, if you are already set on Grots, you have no need for any squigs. The herds are too slow, the Bounderz lack synergy, and you will already devote many points for Grot multiplyers that don't apply to squigs.