AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

On 1/6/2020 at 10:36 AM, a74xhx said:

I'm building my first Mangler Squig and I'd like to try and make him work as both Loonboss and Regular versions.

Anyone else had magnetised mangler success?

Hey there 2-weeks-ago-a74xhx, I've had success doing this!

Firstly, one grot sits slightly more forward than the other. So, there's only a small spot that both models sit over. On the single grot, the magnet ends up being quite far back in the robe.

Secondly, getting everything to fit flush is fiddly. Bit messy underneath, but that'll never get seen. Recessing the magnet in the mangler helped.

When I remove the two blobs of sprayed over blue tac, and I can glue on the hanging grot too.

20200123_201504-COLLAGE.jpg.133e677c6e1cba042ba6c5ec55ebd472.jpg

Hi Folks, 
I'm a recent convert to AoS, and I've spent the last couple of weeks collecting all of the information I can. Departing from my fixation on Chaos, I really like the look of Gloomspite Gitz. I think that their models are really beautiful, and I love that the army can basically be played with a focus on four different things: Grots, Squigs, Spiders, and Trolls (the theme each of which I love). Although I want to focus on Squiggs, I hear that it is the part of the Battletome that perhaps least rewards focus. And I figured that it might be best to start off with a good core of Grots, which I can include some of in every list going into the future, and build my collection from there. 

I was wondering, then, whether the following list would be decent: 

1x Skagrott, the Loonking 
1x Loonboss 
2x Fungoid Cave Shaman 
60x Stabbas w/ Spears 
60x Stabbas w/ Spears 
6x Squig Herd 
10x Sneaky Snufflers 
10x Sneaky Snufflers 
5x Loonsmasha Fanatics 
5x Loonsmasha Fanatics 

1x Bad Moon Loonshrine 

1x Mork's Mighty Mushrooms 
1x Scraskuttle's Arachnacauldron 
1x Quicksilver Swords 

I basically just included all of the units that focus on Grots, and figured that bodies and magic were the way they win games. Not wanting to buy and paint too many Grots, though, I haven't gone OTT

I have watched a bunch of videos, but haven't really looked into competitive lists/tacticas (not that competitive is at all my interest). Do note that I, like all rational people, don't do resin. 

Any thoughts/advice would be hugely appreciated!

27 minutes ago, TonyH122 said:

It’s a great start. My 2 cents. You will really be looking to Hand of Gork 1 60 up the board to score some of your opp. objectives. The general game plan in to score your own and middle objectives while your opponent is dealing with the first 60 (spend cp to immune to battleshock).

When they finally hit your other 60 have that one fully buffed and clean them up (with endless spells as well once they are in range).

With that in mind you only need 1 set of buffs. So I’d drop 10 snuffles (they come in 6s FYI, see FAQ). Reduce the other unit of 12 to 6. Does the same thing.

Replace one unit of fanatics with the spore version for the extra buff.

Quick math says you have 230 to play with now. Add 10 Boingrot Bounderz for a fun independent shock unit and 30 points in an endless spell.

Otherwise should be good fun.

• Like 2

I haven't even skimmed through the 154~ pages so maybe this is redundant, but has anyone had any luck with a stabba-recycling list? I'm in love with the image of a seemingly endless horde of grots rushing from the Loonshrine. The Clammy Hand is a must, but I'm not sure how to formulate a list. Turns without dead units result in a wasted trait, so it's probably good to have a few smaller units that die early for points efficiency? 
Maybe this is a tactic exclusive to msu Shoota-heavy lists lol. 

3 hours ago, Floom said:

I haven't even skimmed through the 154~ pages so maybe this is redundant, but has anyone had any luck with a stabba-recycling list? I'm in love with the image of a seemingly endless horde of grots rushing from the Loonshrine. The Clammy Hand is a must, but I'm not sure how to formulate a list. Turns without dead units result in a wasted trait, so it's probably good to have a few smaller units that die early for points efficiency? 
Maybe this is a tactic exclusive to msu Shoota-heavy lists lol. 

There was a YouTube battlereport done by Guerrilla Miniature Gaming where someone did try the build with Gobbapalooza and three units of Fanatics. 

it was against Mawtribes  and it was hilarious to watch so many Grots dying and coming back out to fight the Ogor

• Like 1

Crazy noob question guys. I used to play orcs and goblins back in the day and I'm looking to start AOS with the Gloomspite Gitz. 

I've always loved a varied army but I understand that's often not possible in AOS for a decent competitive army. I love arachnarok spiders, squigs and trolls. Is it possible to run a mixed force that is actually decent?

Just got gifted the squig and troll boxset and all the fw squig stuff. Any help would be really appreciated.

Any decent guides for the army?

19 hours ago, Andelion said:

Crazy noob question guys. I used to play orcs and goblins back in the day and I'm looking to start AOS with the Gloomspite Gitz. 

I've always loved a varied army but I understand that's often not possible in AOS for a decent competitive army. I love arachnarok spiders, squigs and trolls. Is it possible to run a mixed force that is actually decent?

Just got gifted the squig and troll boxset and all the fw squig stuff. Any help would be really appreciated.

Any decent guides for the army?

It 100% certainly is...in fact i may go as far as saying that it makes a better build. Each aspect of the book does different things really well. The core grots gum up lines and cap objectives really well, squigs and spider provide combat support and add speed to an otherwise slow force, and trolls pack the hammer for our anvils.

The other nice thing is that there is overlap of strengths for these various units, so its much easier to "go with what you like the look of/background for" because adding in the complementary other units shores up a well balanced force. You can put all your eggs in one basket, but often the flexability of multiple tools wins out in a game.

• Thanks 1

On 1/25/2020 at 2:38 AM, TonyH122 said:

Hi Folks, 
I'm a recent convert to AoS, and I've spent the last couple of weeks collecting all of the information I can. Departing from my fixation on Chaos, I really like the look of Gloomspite Gitz. I think that their models are really beautiful, and I love that the army can basically be played with a focus on four different things: Grots, Squigs, Spiders, and Trolls (the theme each of which I love). Although I want to focus on Squiggs, I hear that it is the part of the Battletome that perhaps least rewards focus. And I figured that it might be best to start off with a good core of Grots, which I can include some of in every list going into the future, and build my collection from there. 

I was wondering, then, whether the following list would be decent: 

1x Skagrott, the Loonking 
1x Loonboss 
2x Fungoid Cave Shaman 
60x Stabbas w/ Spears 
60x Stabbas w/ Spears 
6x Squig Herd 
10x Sneaky Snufflers 
10x Sneaky Snufflers 
5x Loonsmasha Fanatics 
5x Loonsmasha Fanatics 

1x Bad Moon Loonshrine 

1x Mork's Mighty Mushrooms 
1x Scraskuttle's Arachnacauldron 
1x Quicksilver Swords 

I basically just included all of the units that focus on Grots, and figured that bodies and magic were the way they win games. Not wanting to buy and paint too many Grots, though, I haven't gone OTT

I have watched a bunch of videos, but haven't really looked into competitive lists/tacticas (not that competitive is at all my interest). Do note that I, like all rational people, don't do resin. 

One thing of note is that Sneaky Snufflers come in multiples of 6, not 5, so you would really have two squads of 12. In the battletome it says 5, but it was FAQ'd shortly after. Here is the FAQ.

Edited by dirkdragonslayer

Hey guys.

So I've recently begun my little gloomspite conversion project for King Arfur and the knights of the bouncing table. Which is basically an excuse to give a loonboss a crown and have loads of boingrot bounderz ;) I've been toying with a starting 1000 point list and have come up with the following:

Realm: Hyish

-Loonboss on Mangler Squig - Artefact: Blade of symmetry (for representing his looted blade Excalibur) - 280

-Fungoid Cave Shaman - Artefact: Aetherquartz Brooch - 90

-5x Boingrot Bounderz - 100

-5x Boingrot bounderz - 100

-6x Squig herd - 70

-6x Squig herd  - 70

-6x Sneaky Snufflers - 70

-3x Rippa's Snarlfangs - 80

Batallion: Squig Rider Stampede

It's probably not the best and the main reason I have the snarlfangs is because they look cool (and movement 12) and the snufflers were my spare 70 points and I will have 6 due to getting warcry boxes for my squig riders instead of just regular boxes (plan on getting 2, not sure whether to make any as squig hoppers though. Maybe 5 so I have the option for AoS and warcry)

The herd seemed like a cheap battleline, I will look into Stabbas at perhaps higher points games (I do plan to expand into 2k) along with some troggoths for some harder hitting.

As a final note I am wanting to scratch build a more thematic looking loon shrine (perhaps a broken castle wall or siege tower turned into one?) If anyone has any suggestions on things I could look at or kits to consider as a basis for a more knightly loonshrine then please let me know :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, mikethefish said:

So, a while ago, there was talk about how big maxed out units of Squig Herd were working pretty effectively. 

Now that some time has passed, what's the current consensus?  Are 24-strong Squig Herd units still a good option?

I think 24 is solid if you put the sneaky snuffler buff on them with the reroll one CA, though I think most people use squigs as min size cheap battleline to fit bigger stuff on their list. 

I think their weak saves and leadership makes them a bit harder to use against other newer armies

Hey peeps, I'm looking into budgeting out a Gloomspite list to buy over the course of a year getting up to 2k and I want it to be centered on Moonclan and Troggoths with a Troggboss as the leader with Rockguts as battleline. But also with a bunch of Stabbas and magic. Maybe some buff support for the Stabbas if I can fit that in. Probably gonna be a suboptimal list but I can see it being incredibly fun. Any anecdotes from you guys on a list like this? Or suggestions to get the most out of this sort of list despite its inherent shortcomings?

On 2/18/2020 at 12:50 PM, mikethefish said:

Are 24-strong Squig Herd units still a good option?

I think so, yeah. They need a bit of babysitting tho, you need to take care of their bravery with inspiring presence. I think as soon as they are in combat they really do some damage and are really point efficient. But they are just extremly vulnerable to shooting with the danger of hitting your stuff. But 48 Wounds, 48 Attacks with 4+/3+/-1/1 on a small base is quite strong. They can get really fast too with squig lure / moon / loonboss on giant cave squig CA. 

3 hours ago, Blackholeroad said:

I want it to be centered on Moonclan and Troggoths with a Troggboss as the leader with Rockguts as battleline.

There is a specific competetive build around the Trogg Hag, Stabbas and Fellwater Troggoths to stack as much negative to hit modifiers on enemies as possible, so this combination is not as bad as you think it might be. But from a casual/semi-comp point of view you can't make "horrible" decisions. Rockguts and Fellwaters are really good, so are any flavour of Grots. You can spam those and be real efficient. But you want some fun in the list, so you need to cut out on Rockguts, Fellwaters and Grots: The Troggboss is okay, but nothing impressive. Hes a bit swingy, but hes fun, players literally bite their nails when his big club swings and each could do D6 damage or he just crushes a 5/6 wound character.

The arguably most point efficient casters are fungoid, i would skip skragrott when you want to make the troggboss your general (so you get rockgut battleline). The arachnarok spider with webspinner shaman is awesome for his points. So 1-2 Fungoid and 0-1 Arachnarok Webspinner shaman seems plausable. The Trogg hag from Forgeworld is a nice fit in this list, too.

The rest is a fine balance of playing to gloomspite gitz strengths (being a horde army) and to give them as much support as possible (snufflers, fanatics, battalions, etc.).

• Like 1

On 2/20/2020 at 12:50 AM, DerZauberer said:

I think so, yeah. They need a bit of babysitting tho, you need to take care of their bravery with inspiring presence.

Squigs are single use. You charge with them, do a lot of damage, then you want them to run away to bravery and do mortal wounds. Don't worry about their bravery or waste a CP on them for inspiring presence. If you are getting shot before getting into combat you might be missing the more critical items for a squig army, boss on cave squig and boss on mangler, that should be higher target priority.

36 minutes ago, Sactownbri said:

Don't worry about their bravery or waste a CP on them for inspiring presence.

It's not like we starve for cp, it's more about a hero babysitting the squigs.

37 minutes ago, Sactownbri said:

If you are getting shot before getting into combat you might be missing the more critical items for a squig army

A single lost model causes you to loose additional models on a 3+, with 50% chance per fleeing model to hit your own stuff. 

I agree that they are single use as soon as they reach combat, but prior to that it's easy to get rid of a lot of squigs if you trigger their bravery. I would always spend a CP (in an army where i have a huge ton of CP generation) if out of combat.

29 minutes ago, Aelfric said:

I have a mainly Troggoth army and have been considering getting 2 min size units of Squig Herd as screens for my 2 6 strong Rockgut units.  Open to other ideas.

Squig are good

if you want better area coverage, min size Shootas at 120 are also ok

• Like 1

I have 2 lists that I like but not sure which one I like more. Alternatively im wondering if I can somehow fit a Hag + Cauldron into one of those...hmm... 

List 1:

Spoiler

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz
Mortal Realm: Ghur

Loonboss on Mangler Squigs (280)
- General
- Command Trait: Fight Another Day
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Lore of the Moonclans: The Hand of Gork
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Lore of the Moonclans: Itchy Nuisance
18 x Squig Herd (210)
12 x Squig Herd (140)
12 x Squig Herd (140)
10 x Boingrot Bounderz (200)
6 x Rockgut Troggoths (280)
Mangler Squigs (240)
Mangler Squigs (240)
Mork's Mighty Mushroom (90)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 172

List 2:

Spoiler

- General
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
Dankhold Troggboss (270)
12 x Squig Herd (140)
12 x Squig Herd (140)
12 x Squig Herd (140)

Edit: Made a 3rd list. I kinda like this one over the other 2.

Spoiler

- General
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
12 x Squig Herd (140)
12 x Squig Herd (140)
12 x Squig Herd (140)
Mangler Squigs (240)
Scuttletide (30)

Edited by Malakithe

Hey folks. I have most of an army, but i need something more to finish it off. So i come to you all for advice. 

What I have:
60 stabbas 
20 shootas
10 boingrot bounderz
Gobbapalooza (with some conversions so they could also act a a madcap, fungoid, and webspinner shaman instead)
Loonboss on foot 
Loonboss on giant cave squig
3 rockgut troggoths
Loonshrine

My models are very realm of fire themed, with a colour scheme ripped off Rakdos from magic the gathering 

10 hours ago, Dis_Interested said:

Hey folks. I have most of an army, but i need something more to finish it off. So i come to you all for advice. 

What I have:
60 stabbas 
20 shootas
10 boingrot bounderz
Gobbapalooza (with some conversions so they could also act a a madcap, fungoid, and webspinner shaman instead)
Loonboss on foot 
Loonboss on giant cave squig
3 rockgut troggoths
Loonshrine

My models are very realm of fire themed, with a colour scheme ripped off Rakdos from magic the gathering 

you probably need another squad of shootas/stabbas to fill out your three battleline requirement

3 more rockgut to bring the squad up to six is another thing you can do

you  want a few fungloids sine they are pretty solid in any army list

7 minutes ago, novakai said:

you probably need another squad of shootas/stabbas to fill out your three battleline requirement

3 more rockgut to bring the squad up to six is another thing you can do

you  want a few fungloids sine they are pretty solid in any army list

...i completely forgot to mention i have 12 squigs (of the herd variety) to act as my third battleline. 

A friend's main feedback to me was that i need something to hit hard, like more bounderz or a mangler squig.

I have 1390 points without any battalions, 1530 with the Stampede battalion.  Trying to work out what to take to get up to 2k

5 hours ago, Dis_Interested said:

...i completely forgot to mention i have 12 squigs (of the herd variety) to act as my third battleline. 

A friend's main feedback to me was that i need something to hit hard, like more bounderz or a mangler squig.

I have 1390 points without any battalions, 1530 with the Stampede battalion.  Trying to work out what to take to get up to 2k

if you want to do squig you definitely want to have the Loonboss on Mangler squig, having another ten bounders is probably a good choice to  put into them into the battalion

but since that 480 total you be 10 pt over so you need to adjust your list a little bit