AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

1 hour ago, DarthAnnüss said:

This is why they were my favorite as well. The best games I played were games against my brother's Skaven. Madness everywhere. So much self destruction on both sides. I really hope some of that comes back.

I did try to kill more of my own rats than enemy did and still win when playing skavens back in 6th edition. And wield at least 6 fanatics with every O&G army... In 5th edition those deranged loonies did pay their upkeep easily, as my buddies loved chaos armies and chaos knights with chaos armour did cost 80 pts a piece. One lucky fanatic, 2 knight units too close each other and 720 pts worth of knights is remowed from game at turn 1...

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

19 hours ago, Malakree said:

So serious question, what aspects of Gloomspite are we each looking to get first? Personally I'm going for a troggoth army which might include some Grots just to bulk the numbers up. I've wanted to get a hag for ages because her warscroll is so solid and this is a perfect oppotunity to do so!

Trolls!!!! With some squig support. Ive never been a spiderfang type of destruction player. I love Orcs, i love squigs, i love trolls. Goblins are alright but i dont like the look of the classic spiders. The boss and the Arok look great, the normal guys not so much.

8 hours ago, Gorthaur said:

The current moonclan grot kit is fine, almost timeless. They could use better hoods, noses, details and bits...but its a great kit even after all these years. Except just like skaven clanrats you can tell they were sculpted with a rank and file pose in mind, so when based and arranged in the AoS format I feel like they could use more pose variety. The clanrats are worse though, cause they have the one foot forward pose. 

I agree, but in the case of the Moonclan grots I think it is fine because they are tiny little robes guys anyways.  I think the Warhammer Underworlds kit is probably the extent that the designers can really push the sculpts of the basic grots.  The regular grots in that kit look mainly like the guys from the Battle for Skulls Pass set with some of the same poses and they simply have more details.

Speaking of that, I honestly prefer the grots from Battle For Skulls Pass than the ones from the current Moonclan Grots box simply because they are 1-piece models.  Normally I dislike 1-piece models but for tiny hooded goons I prefer it.  Sadly, the multiple weapon options for the basic grots means that they need a multi-part kit.

The standard grots are the main kit that I am happy to see untouched - along with the Arachnarok.  I think all of the rest of the kits in the range could use replacement.  That said, I do hope they keep the Skarsnik kit around for a while before they retire it.  That is a magnificent character kit and he still easily fits into the range.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Morhgoz said:

I did try to kill more of my own rats than enemy did and still win when playing skavens back in 6th edition. And wield at least 6 fanatics with every O&G army... In 5th edition those deranged loonies did pay their upkeep easily, as my buddies loved chaos armies and chaos knights with chaos armour did cost 80 pts a piece. One lucky fanatic, 2 knight units too close each other and 720 pts worth of knights is remowed from game at turn 1...

Killing a charging bloodthirster just through the release of a few fanatics was glorious (assuming you could pass the terror test for being charged).

I like the current fanatic rules, but I do hope that with the new warscroll (or the new unit) that we see a return of a bit of their pure offensive damage that they used to have.  I would like to see something like the ability to strike first if they charge, mortal wounds on charge impact, or something similar.  

What I dislike most about the current rules is that their main purpose is to interrupt the enemy charge but they rarely get to inflict damage.  Enemies will often pick the fanatics as their first target and kill them before they do anything.  I understand that there is still great high value in their current rules.  They have always been able to do something similar to it and I don’t want to see that go away.  But as someone who has used them for a long long time, I really miss the days when fanatics terrified opponents due to their ability not only to interrupt but also to inflict horrific unmitigated damage.  They are much easier to kill in AoS than they used to be, since you can fight them in combat now, and I think that given their cost it would not be too much to give them back some damage on the charge to make them a bit more offensive.

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

Goblins are alright but i dont like the look of the classic spiders. The boss and the Arok look great, the normal guys not so much.

There were rumors a while back of a new spider rider kit.  I really hope that is true and has not been revealed yet.  The current kit is not awful, and you can do some nice conversions if you put in a good amount of effort, but they are the oldest plastic kit in the Moonclan/Spiderfang range and it is time for an update.  I expect the current designers would make an astoundingly fantastic new kit if given the chance.  

They might also want to adjust the aesthetic slightly so that Moonclan and Spiderfang tie together a bit more visually.  I love the aboriginal theme of the forest goblins, but Spiderfang only had three kits and only the Arachnarok arguably does not need an update so it would make sense to adjust Spiderfang to fit into the overall look of Gloomspite.  I don’t think they would need to do a lot or abandon the aboriginal theme entirely.  A few collected mushrooms, some occasional moon icons, etc would probably do the trick.

33 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

There were rumors a while back of a new spider rider kit.  I really hope that is true and has not been revealed yet.  The current kit is not awful, and you can do some nice conversions if you put in a good amount of effort, but they are the oldest plastic kit in the Moonclan/Spiderfang range and it is time for an update.  I expect the current designers would make an astoundingly fantastic new kit if given the chance.  

They might also want to adjust the aesthetic slightly so that Moonclan and Spiderfang tie together a bit more visually.  I love the aboriginal theme of the forest goblins, but Spiderfang only had three kits and only the Arachnarok arguably does not need an update so it would make sense to adjust Spiderfang to fit into the overall look of Gloomspite.  I don’t think they would need to do a lot or abandon the aboriginal theme entirely.  A few collected mushrooms, some occasional moon icons, etc would probably do the trick.

the grot riders are fine, its the spiders themselves. They dont look like they move like spiders to me, a spiders leg pump individually with air and fluid to hydraulically move. Thats what gives them there creepy appearance in the way that they skitter about. The old spider rider kits have 4 legs forward and 4 legs back as if it was running like a dog!

For example the Arok is more like this actual spider image.  

games-workshop-warhammer-age-of-sigmar-spiderfang-grots-venom-clan-p152074-177633_image.jpg

philodromus-sp-spider-a-running-crab-spider-family-philodromidae-on-a-white-background_edk5fgonx__S0000.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

I think we will continue to get teasers for rules and stuff until then.  Maybe not every day, but I expect they will keep dripping out tidbits to keep hype up before they hit initial preorders.

You have Warhammer World Open Day on the 5th. I think they’ll hold the rest of the range to draw people to the event and the follow up community article 

13 minutes ago, MrCharisma said:

You have Warhammer World Open Day on the 5th. I think they’ll hold the rest of the range to draw people to the event and the follow up community article 

I agree with a big model reveal then.  I just meant that I bet they start previewing rules and stuff for the army and what they have already show off.

25 minutes ago, Xoledas said:

Correct me if i'm wrong but, in the reveal video at 0:12, you can see an individual warscroll for him.

I’m sure there is a warscroll for the grot boss with giant Squig.  But you have to figure that GW would like to cease all resin production for their main lines and leave that just to the Forgeworld boutique kits that are less volume.  I highly doubt that they want to support 2 different production methods.  

So with that in mind I expect that they are going to be trying to purposefully replace or phase out resin kits.  That was my point.  I don’t think the model will be unusable in the game, but I also don’t think he will be around for too much longer (might go away in this release or he might last a couple more years at best) and he is still a really nice sculpt that I think a lot of people will want to get.  I have one copy in metal, but I will probably pick up 2-3 of the resin ones to use for conversion projects before he is retired.

2 hours ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

the grot riders are fine, its the spiders themselves. They dont look like they move like spiders to me, a spiders leg pump individually with air and fluid to hydraulically move. Thats what gives them there creepy appearance in the way that they skitter about. The old spider rider kits have 4 legs forward and 4 legs back as if it was running like a dog!

I agree with you.  Those poses were required because these models were designed for 25x50 mm rectangular cavalry bases and they filled up most of that area.  

But it is not overly difficult to separate the legs and then pose them like that.  If you do some google searches you can see a number of people who have.  That said, I would prefer to not have to do that and that the GW kit made it easier to do which is the main reason that I want a resculpt.

4 hours ago, obaobaboss said:

I am going full insects. Have already the alarielle beatle standing around (bought as an arachnarok-alternative). I was never a big fan of the forrest-goblins, so I mounted nightgoblins on my arachnarok and spiderriders. So if we get a giant Centipide with nightgoblins...  

I was going to run Alarielle's beetle as an allied stonehorn for my spiderfang. Just trying to catch it cheep on bits sites.  

9 hours ago, Ekrund Oath Splitters said:

Trolls!!!! With some squig support. Ive never been a spiderfang type of destruction player. I love Orcs, i love squigs, i love trolls. Goblins are alright but i dont like the look of the classic spiders. The boss and the Arok look great, the normal guys not so much.

I'm definitely going troggoths probably with a couple of large grot units for bodies. @PlasticCraic had some great tactics for troggoths inside grot units iirc?

Honestly though this just ticks everything I want in an army 😍

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Wraithwing said:

So the Gloomspite Gitz have tempted me to finally get serious about starting an AoS army. 

Ive done Night Goblins before, a long time ago, for WFB. 

So, I’m sitting on 40 Moonclan Grots. What’s the best way to build them? Spears or hand weapons?

This is what I want to know. I'm not sure if the warscroll for the basic moonclan grots will change much. Though I kind of doubt it will. But If I want to pick up a couple boxes of these little gits i'd  hope to be building them with the more optimal choices in mind. Also, does it matter which weapon the banner guys are built with, if the banner/special guys are in a spearman grot unit then they should technically have spears with their right arm as well?

On 12/27/2018 at 10:42 PM, S133arcanite said:

Phew...

How...(although I'm scared to ask)?

There was a guy on eBay who obviously broke down a ton of Silver Tower boxes for bits selling. They were surprisingly cheap, as in I was getting 24 grots for less than the cost of a retail box of 20 grots.

The only downside is depending on the new codex I'm going to have to convert up some netters (which I'm intending on making spiderweb nets somehow, I just haven't figured that bit out yet)

On 12/29/2018 at 9:45 AM, Malakree said:

So serious question, what aspects of Gloomspite are we each looking to get first? Personally I'm going for a troggoth army which might include some Grots just to bulk the numbers up. I've wanted to get a hag for ages because her warscroll is so solid and this is a perfect oppotunity to do so!

I'm currently sitting on 4 Arachnaroks, 50 spider riders, 2 big bosses on giant spiders and 130 grot scuttlings, so I think I should be good for the Spiderfang short of any new releases.

I've been purchasing some OOP night goblin stuff since I heard rumblings early last year of a Moonclan release, so I'll just be buying straight Moonclan.

Oh and Troggoths.

... and maybe more spiders... need more nightmare fuel to torment the missus with.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, froo said:

The only downside is depending on the new codex I'm going to have to convert up some netters (which I'm intending on making spiderweb nets somehow, I just haven't figured that bit out yet)

Look online for people selling the netter bits from the Moonclan grots box.  They are out there if you look.  eBay is a good source.  Then you can just attach those to your Silverfang grot models with a bit of work.