AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

Are Goblins still a bit wacky and self sabotaging and random where they can accidentally explode or just generally be goofy and not serious? I was looking into making a small 1,000 point only list based on Blood Bowl with a few troll units, as many wacky things as I could like Doomdivers, Fanatics, Bombers, Chainsaw guys, Pogo Stick guys and more which, at least in Blood Bowl, all have a horrible tendency to backfire and go terrible wrong. 

Im hoping to build a silly list that can easily kill itself as much as it can kill the opponent for super casual goof games for laughs. 

Are Goblins still like this now a days or are they very srs bsns? 

3 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

Are Goblins still like this now a days or are they very srs bsns? 

Uh the silly is much more limited now. You're really only looking at the Gargant, potentially Loonsmashas and the random move elements on squig riders.

If you want a silly goof game the best way to do it is include a ton of wizards and endless spells. I killed a Verminlord with my opponents own Quicksilver swords on sunday!

Something daft like this, you can't cast more than 4 a turn (1 per wizard) but you have a fair bit of range on at least 2 of them.

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz

Leaders
Skragrott, The Loonking (220)
- General
- Lore of the Moonclans: Call da Moon
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Lore of the Moonclans: The Hand of Gork
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Lore of the Moonclans: The Hand of Gork
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Lore of the Moonclans: Call da Moon

Battleline
20 x Shootas (130)
12 x Squig Herd (140)

Endless Spells
Scuttletide (30)
Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (40)
Purple Sun of Shyish (100)
Quicksilver Swords (20)
Malevolent Moon (50)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 62

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malakree said:

Uh the silly is much more limited now. You're really only looking at the Gargant, potentially Loonsmashas and the random move elements on squig riders.

If you want a silly goof game the best way to do it is include a ton of wizards and endless spells. I killed a Verminlord with my opponents own Quicksilver swords on sunday!

Something daft like this, you can't cast more than 4 a turn (1 per wizard) but you have a fair bit of range on at least 2 of them.

hahaha that's amazing. yes this is the silly i was looking for :) 

28 minutes ago, DestructionFranz said:

Hi everybody,

I'd like to add to my Destruction list the Mork's Mighty Mushroom. (Using Fungoid Cave Shaman or Troggoth Hag). 

Any suggestions? Do you have a particular strategy to maximize the damage? 

Thansss

Two different options. One is dump it on as much of your opponents army as possible. Second is area denial, put it down where your opponent wants to move through and will have to sit in to try and fight through your line. This forces them to either not engage you or sit in the shroom for an extended period of time.

1 minute ago, Malakree said:

Two different options. One is dump it on as much of your opponents army as possible. Second is area denial, put it down where your opponent wants to move through and will have to sit in to try and fight through your line. This forces them to either not engage you or sit in the shroom for an extended period of time.

I like the second option. It's very good under the  tactical point of view. 

I think that the Mork's Mighty Mushroom is one of the best Endless Spells, maybe the best. 80 points very well used. 

Do you use other Gloomspite Gitz Endless Spells in your list? I mean do you think that there is something else that worth is point cost?  

20 minutes ago, DestructionFranz said:

Do you use other Gloomspite Gitz Endless Spells in your list? I mean do you think that there is something else that worth is point cost?  

I basically always include Scuttletide for Gloomspite. It's really good at 30 points both as a block and zone control.

Spiderfang Question....

Does a Webspinner Shaman on an Arachnarok with the Totem of the Spider God under the light of the Bad Moon cause mortal wounds on a 4+? I’ve heard different viewpoints on this. 

Edited by Scythian
Addition

2 minutes ago, dasnation said:

Has anyone tried shooting?  Pick off hero’s and play the board control game? Something like this list? Would it be beneficial against a deep strike style list? 

If you're doing something like this you want call da moon in your army. It's sight range d3 mortals. 

Not sure about the gobba and chukkas, feels a bit to much. Either just 2 chukkas or 1/2 gobbas imo. 

I like the concept, i had something similar at throne of skulls, but I think you might be doing to much. Fanatic bomb and double chukka and squig gobba and 15 boingrots. It's cut heavily into your heroes and battleline. Drop any one of those for another 40 stabbas and you're looking way better off.

1 minute ago, Scythian said:

Spiderfang Question....

Does a Webspinner Shaman with the Totem of the Spider God under the light of the Bad Moon cause mortal wounds on a 4+? I’ve heard different viewpoints on this. 

No. Everything in the book says "On a 5 or 6". It doesn't matter how many of those effects you put on they are all making it a 5 or 6.

@Malakree ty for the comment. Want to pick your brain more on the subject. Why do you think the extra 20 stabbas into battle line is more useful than any one of those ploys(not sure what word to use there)? 

I don’t see the utility in adding 20 more stabbas except for a little more board control and to life tank a little more. I would think the big block of 60 would be able to that but then again it is not as mobile. That is the reason I was thinking about hand of gork to throw them where they need to be. I also like adding the generic loonboss to give them the mortal wound out put. 

All that comes from the stance that I have not tried the list or anything like it like yourself. Any insight into how it played out for you at throne of skulls would be amazing. Things you learned, what worked, what didn’t ect. Thank you again for your comment, they always help. 

@dasnation so it's less to do with having played the list and more general game experience.

What I'm suggesting is going to 60/60/20 instead of 60/20/20. It's 230 points for a huge amount of bodies and wounds. The classic example would be 3 objectives. Your list holds 1 and lightly contests 2, as a unit of 20 stabbas is so easy to blow through. For 230 points you can get a second unit of 60, that lets you swarm 2 objectives then contest the 3rd properly.

It also gives you a much more solid base for your other tools to play around. The 60x60 can form a pocket with the 20s guarding your artillery and screening for the boingrots to ensure they don't get pounced on.

Your also chronically short on characters. The Loonboss is easy to blow up so you have to spend so much protecting skragrott because if he dies you lose IP etc. When tons of command points is one of our strengths.

So when we look at your list you have some ranged character sniping, some ranged unit damage, the loonsmasha bomb, a little bit of shock cav. 110 points of endless spells with only 1 wizard who gets 2 casts.

Essentially your spending a ton of points try to do everything. If you cut one or two of the errant strategies out of the list you can focus on strengthening the others to a good level.

For example, if you cut the boingrots, loonsmashas and the mushroom you can beef up your line, add in some more cheap characters (a fungoid and second loonboss) grabbing call da moon for some map range mortals and then potentially add in another gobba. You now have a proper artillery battery which your crazy tough line can protect while it does it's job.

Alternatively drop the arti and loonsmashas to go up to 3 blocks of 10 boingrots backing your beefed up line. This gives you insane shock potential which can be applied safely because your screening is so strong.

This is what I mean by doing to many things. Sometimes a lot of a little is better than a little.

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

@Malakree thank you for explanation! What have you seen as far as the gloomspite role on the battlefield? Are they much more of a defensive/castle type than other armies? What type of play style benefits their board control and command point generation abilities? Granted that is a very open ended question but I’d like to read what you think. 

Couple questions 

1x15 Bounders or 2x10?

Do you think a Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig is a necessity to babysit the Bounders for leadership/movement buffs? 

Will 5 Loonsmashas be enough to hide in a unit of 60, or is 10 the better option? 

Is running a single unit of Rockguts and a single unit of Fellwaters a good idea, or should you be taking them in blobs of 6?

If you can't make a full unit of 24 squigs, are you better off with going with minimum size units? 

Do you think Mork's Mighty Mushroom is an auto-include? Scuttletide is also very good, and the cauldron on Skragrott isn't a bad take. 

If your general has to be Skragrott, do you think it's worth it to still take a Manglerboss?

Do you think a regular Mangler squig is a decent enough hammer unit on his own? They seem relatively squishy. I've had one die to a unit of 10 Tzaangors with little issue. 

15 hours ago, dasnation said:

@Malakree thank you for explanation! What have you seen as far as the gloomspite role on the battlefield? Are they much more of a defensive/castle type than other armies? What type of play style benefits their board control and command point generation abilities? Granted that is a very open ended question but I’d like to read what you think. 

It varies wildly depending on how you decide to go about building the list. What I mean by this is that Gloomspite can pretty much do anything, our army is broad enough and the allies strong enough that we can tilt to any overall strategy to try and win. I suspect the strongest lists will include a lot of bodies/wounds with which to anchor the rest of the army around. At 360 points 60 stabbas have one of the strongest bodies/wound to points ratios in the game and while Squig Herds don't have the bodies to points ratio their wounds to points is even better than stabbas.

From here I would say how you pivot around that central block is really personal preference. An artillery battery should be ok, in this case I'd also what quite a lot of Wizards and Scuttletide for the extra ranged MW potential to go with it. You could also run a bunch of Boingrots which you then strategically deploy to shatter an opponents line or blow his elite units out of the water, with those a Manglerboss and Loonboss on Giant Cave squig are going to be key support heroes to include, you could even add in the Squig Rider battalion if you want to try and make their movement more reliable. Personally I'm looking to use Troggoths with it, just because I love the models.

I honestly don't think we have reached the point where we can say "This build is the best". We haven't had the number of games played with all the different builds to really know the specific strongest build. All we can do is look at what seem to be core components, imo those are going to be Skragrott (whether he's your general or not), a fungoid and at least 60 stabbas or 24 Squig Herd.

16 hours ago, Arkahn said:

As a competitive list which one is the best battleline between 

60 Stabbas, 60 Stabbas, 20 Stabbas 

or 

24 Squig Herd, 24 Squig Herd, 24 Squig Herd 

I'm always playing atleast 1 Mangler Boss and some Bounderz 

We can't say for sure. Both have their advantages. Given that you're playing the Manglerboss Squig Herds go up in value massively, they love the +1 to wound so much on their already impressive attack profile. 2 attacks at 4+/3+/-1/1 is the same stat line as the Ardboy 2h choppas and you can buff it up to 4+/2+/-1/1!!

This also increases the value of a Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig as his +3 movement affects the Squig Herds as well making your whole army deceptively quick. Using the Run Reroll on the Squig Herd warscroll with Squig Lure you are looking at around 8+4 movement with a charge reroll after running, that's cavalry army territory.

Again this is just my opinion and in no way authoritative, I'd be looking at either the 3 Squig Herd blocks or 60 Stabbas, 24 Squig Herd, 24 Squig Herd. 

@RaritanAnon Those questions are all pretty specific rather than the broader theoretical stuff I'm best at. You are really going to need to test them out and see if I'm honest.

Edited by Malakree

On 2/25/2019 at 8:42 AM, PlasticCraic said:

Jezzails: can Skitterleap into position for LOS and delete our Heroes, and thereby remove our Battleshock immunity (away from the rock)

Skitterleap can only target models with Hero keyword. 

Verminlord Deceiver one is better, just 6" away from enemy. 

What we should be really worried about that is the Deceiver Skitterleaping a Corruptor or Lord Skreech next to a Gnawhole that is place in our deployment area in the hero phase. Or both. 

With +1 casting, Corruptor will delete horde.

Lord Skreech will have +2 to casting, and can summon rats into our deployment area after killing our troops.

Next they can drop the Warp Lightning Vortex for a kickass.

THEN in the movement phase they can teleport away to another Gnawhole, while the Vortex kill even more stuffs.

Edited by gnaleinad

Hey all,

I'm new to AoS and have dove right in with the Gitz.  I've tried a couple 1k games and am planning how I'll expand into 2k.  I went mostly squig and currently have the following unopened boxes I may trade for other units depending on utility/fun factor. 

I have 2 Squig Herd boxes, and Gobbapalooza.  I'm looking for any suggestions, critiques or criticisms in this list as I'm brand new.

7425185_SquiggyList_Page_1.jpg.8a10499cbd0c4b173872a6e42cd313e6.jpg