AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

1 hour ago, Arkahn said:

Gloomspite vs Sylvaneth in a box set with new models ? I really hope ! 

It will be, designed to coincide with the release of the new sylvaneth book.

They will Probably release the new Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig in it alongside a bunch of squig hoppers and Sylvaneth with the new Sylvaneth hero.

EDIT: Added extra word based on response below.

Edited by Malakree
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Malakree said:

It will be, designed to coincide with the release of the new sylvaneth book.

They will release the new Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig in it alongside a bunch of squig hoppers and Sylvaneth with the new Sylvaneth hero.

You seems sure about that, any hidden sources ?

28 minutes ago, Arkahn said:

You seems sure about that, any hidden sources ?

Nope, just it's well known in the tournament scene that the new sylvaneth book is due soon and it fits with both what has been teased as well as mirroring the hugely successful Carion Empire.

It also explains perfectly why we didn't get a new Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig with the original release despite it being one of 3 resin minitures left as well as being the last truly ugly one. The other two are the Scuttleboss and Skarsnik, both of which are fantastic miniatures.

So if we look at the Carrion Empire box it had around 700 points of Skaven/FEC. So we can assume the Squig half is ~700 points with 20 Stabbas, 10 Hoppers and 10 Boingrots, that mirrors the FEC box perfectly and is 510 points, then the Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig gives you 620 points.

From a monetary perspective Skaven is £79.5 + Bombardier, FEC is £83 + Archregent. 

20 Stabbas +10 Hoppers + 10 Boingrots is £80.5 + Exclusive Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig.

That would make the Squig half of the box super desirable for anyone looking to build/expand a Gloomspite list, is a perfect mirror on points/boxes/money to the previous two and fits all the narrative we have so far. There is the potential for 12 Squig Herd instead of 20 Stabbas but that takes it up to £87.50 instead so I suspect the stabbas will be the third box not the squig herd.

Hence my conclusion.

EDIT: Look at this Ugly ass model and compare it to all the new Squig Riders.

99800209017_GoblinWarbossCaveSquigNEW01.99120209052_SquigHoppers01.jpg

It's an Abomination.

Edited by Malakree
  • Like 1

Love all this speculation! I'm also of the mindset that a new Loonboss on Cave Squig sounds plausible. I think that even though we just got a bunch of amazing models, I would feel a little cheated if Sylvaneth got a dope new character and we didn't on the Gitz side. 

Time will tell! Keep painting Squigs. 

Sylvaneth and Gitz and my two armies!  Well, 3000 points fully painted in the first, a big pile of work in progress conversions for the second - I'm going far too slow with them. Until now I hadn't really considered that they match together well (just like Sylvaneth and Nurgle. Maybe Gitz and Nurgle too).

New Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig would be great. I think all the old finecast/metal models are missing from the photos in the Gitz battletome, which I did find odd at the time. Maybe this is why.

For Sylvaneth only the Branchwraith needs updating (well, maybe the Dryads, but I'm not buying/painting another 64 of them). They do need extra variety, so maybe it'll be something entirely new. They have plenty of big guys, so maybe another squishy 32mm 5wound wizard.

Can't see the Gitz getting something completely new that needs a whole new warscroll.

7 minutes ago, Nickmoss90 said:

I am looking forward to this release. I have 1k of Gitz thinking what to buy next. Going off this info probs going to just pick up some Rockguts, another mangler and the spells.

When do you all think this will come out? 

Well since it just a small teaser I expect it be quite a while before it come out unlike carrion empire which actually show the models in the box in it trailer

i would guess around May or even June

1 hour ago, novakai said:

Well since it just a small teaser I expect it be quite a while before it come out unlike carrion empire which actually show the models in the box in it trailer

i would guess around May or even June

How long was the carrion empire release? Personally I'm edging on end of April. 

Looking forward to a possible plastic loonboss on squig. 

Any squig fans had luck with hoppers? I assembled some but now I just keep looking at them and wishing they were bounders. The mortal wounds just don't seem like they'll happen much, but I'm new to the game. 

2 hours ago, Rock Farm said:

Looking forward to a possible plastic loonboss on squig. 

Any squig fans had luck with hoppers? I assembled some but now I just keep looking at them and wishing they were bounders. The mortal wounds just don't seem like they'll happen much, but I'm new to the game. 

I seen a few battle report of people having the hopper runs around enemies or retreating from combat to proc their mortal wound ability but not really using them in melee as much

2 hours ago, Malakree said:

How long was the carrion empire release? Personally I'm edging on end of April. 

I remember it was about a month between the box reveal at the new year open and release at the beginning of February

the reason I feel Looncurse may be a while off is because the teaser wasn't as extensive and that I feel like the Fyreslayer and maybe Slaanesh release may happen first 

16 minutes ago, novakai said:

the reason I feel Looncurse may be a while off is because the teaser wasn't as extensive and that I feel like the Fyreslayer and maybe Slaanesh release may happen first 

My gut feeling is mid summer for the box but I have no real idea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, novakai said:

I seen a few battle report of people having the hopper runs around enemies or retreating from combat to proc their mortal wound ability but not really using them in melee as much

The main time I would use them is if I wanted to use the Big Batallion (Squigalanche?)

Anyone who has used Yetis or the Bonegrinder knows how game-changing that 6" pile in can be.  Yet the Boingrots really need the charge to get the most out of them.

So I would consider running 2 units of Hoppers and 1 of Boingrots in the Squigalanche.  Run over the top with the Hoppers and charge with the Bounders.  The Bounders are your first activation in the combat phase, and everything else piles in from 3.1" inches away.  So you have milked all your Mortal Wounds and get to swing first with everything.

(I'd also put in Skragrott to guarantee the Bad Moon, and some Stabbas to Hand of Gork and buy time turn 1).

Edited by PlasticCraic

Maybe something like this (3 drops):

Spoiler

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz
Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
Skragrott, The Loonking (220)
- General
- Lore of the Moonclans: The Hand of Gork
Loonboss on Mangler Squigs (300)
- Artefact: Sword of Judgement 
Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig (110)
- Moon-cutta

Battleline
10 x Squig Hoppers (180)
10 x Squig Hoppers (180)
40 x Stabbas (260)
- Stabbas & Moon Shields

Units
10 x Boingrot Bounderz (200)

Behemoths
Mangler Squigs (240)

Battalions
Squig Rider Stampede (140)
Squigalanche (90)

Endless Spells
Mork's Mighty Mushroom (80)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 136

Or if you wanted to do it without Stabbas (2 drops):

Spoiler

Leaders
- General
- Moon-cutta

Battleline
10 x Squig Hoppers (180)
10 x Squig Hoppers (180)
24 x Squig Herd (280)

Units

Behemoths
Mangler Squigs (240)

Battalions
Squigalanche (90)

Endless Spells
Scrapskuttle's Arachnacauldron (50)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Wounds: 144

46 minutes ago, PlasticCraic said:

The main time I would use them is if I wanted to use the Big Batallion (Squigalanche?)

Anyone who has used Yetis or the Bonegrinder knows how game-changing that 6" pile in can be.  Yet the Boingrots really need the charge to get the most out of them.

So I would consider running 2 units of Hoppers and 1 of Boingrots in the Squigalanche.  Run over the top with the Hoppers and charge with the Bounders.  The Bounders are your first activation in the combat phase, and everything else piles in from 3.1" inches away.  So you have milked all your Mortal Wounds and get to swing first with everything.

(I'd also put in Skragrott to guarantee the Bad Moon, and some Stabbas to Hand of Gork and buy time turn 1).

That's really interesting, I mainly play Bounderz over Hoppers and I feel like the Squigalanche is not worth it but jumping over some units and being at 6" to pile in might funny, I wonder how it perform...

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Arkahn said:

That's really interesting, I mainly play Bounderz over Hoppers and I feel like the Squigalanche is not worth it but jumping over some units and being at 6" to pile in might funny, I wonder how it perform...

Yeah, I think it could be a pretty good army.  Make your own Squiggly High Tide, with the Move and Charge phase mortals then pop the Loonboss on Mangler CA and swing first with every unit.  Quite a lot of reliably high damage there.

Harder to pull off than Idoneth because you can't board edge, but you have good manouverability through Hand of Gork, the Batallion and the Giant Cave Squig CAs...along with two full turns of running (plus popping CPs to run 6" if required).

Then your advantages over Idoneth are that you have the recycling Stabbas for tarpitting / objectives, and Grots Is Da Best.

I do think it would work pretty well, but I don't have Hoppers (or a second Mangler) so it's purely Theoryhammer from me :D

1 hour ago, PlasticCraic said:

Maybe something like this (3 drops):

Reveal hidden contents

Leaders
- General
- Moon-cutta

Battleline
10 x Squig Hoppers (180)
10 x Squig Hoppers (180)
40 x Stabbas (260)
- Stabbas & Moon Shields

Units

Behemoths
Mangler Squigs (240)

Battalions
Squigalanche (90)

Endless Spells
Mork's Mighty Mushroom (80)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 136

Or if you wanted to do it without Stabbas (2 drops):

Reveal hidden contents

Leaders
- General
- Moon-cutta

Battleline
10 x Squig Hoppers (180)
10 x Squig Hoppers (180)
24 x Squig Herd (280)

Units

Behemoths
Mangler Squigs (240)

Battalions
Squigalanche (90)

Endless Spells
Scrapskuttle's Arachnacauldron (50)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Wounds: 144

Just wondering, how are Squig Hoppers Battleline in that list with Skragrott as the General? 

15 hours ago, Malakree said:

They will Probably release the new Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig in it alongside a bunch of squig hoppers and Sylvaneth with the new Sylvaneth hero.

Yeah, the hero is most likely the Loonboss on giant Squig.  It could potentially be the Loonboss with Giant Squig - but the Skarsnik model is still fantastic and that model is functionally really close to the standard Loonboss.

14 hours ago, Malakree said:

EDIT: Look at this Ugly ass model and compare it to all the new Squig Riders.

It's an Abomination.

To each their own, but I disagree completely.

However, I do think that is a poor picture on the store.  It would have been better with a 360 picture, but that model predates when they did that.  It also looks better when you pose it so that both legs are not together like that.  The right leg is a separate piece so you can adjust it.

That said, I have no problems with a new version in plastic.  The only issue I have with the old model is that it is not conducive to conversions aside from slight reposing.  I like the model, but it is a lot of work to do anything with this guy and you are almost better off just scratch building one if you want something different.  I’ll happily buy a few copies of a new sculpt.

I was thinking of making a build that has a couple of these guys and so a new one will fit in nicely with the old metal one and the forgeworld one.

3 hours ago, novakai said:

I remember it was about a month between the box reveal at the new year open and release at the beginning of February

I feel that they will drop this into a small release window like Beasts of Chaos.  It will probably be just this box set and the Sylvaneth  releases.  

My suspicion is that for Sylvaneth we may see them change the terrain piece and replace it with something new.  It was a good trial for putting terrain rules into an army, but using the full Woods base is really unweildly.  If Sylvaneth keep the ability to summon their terrain and drop multiples then I feel that they may either replace it with a new model or else alter the rules to place single trees.