AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

2 hours ago, Brad Gamma said:

Hi Git-Collectors :)

Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere, it was a bit tricky to search for.

In the Squig herd box set, one squig is pictured with a grot trapped in its mouth. Does the sprue contain enough pieces that you could construct the full 10 squigs without this variation? I want to use them in a non-grot based conversion.

Thank you!

Hi.

Have you tried to search the actual pictures of the sprues online?

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Zaffersimo said:

Hi.

Have you tried to search the actual pictures of the sprues online?

Hi,

The sprues are visible on the GW website, and I think I can only see 10 combinations of bits which would suggest that you do need to build the grot-chomping one, but without the instruction booklet or hands on experience, its difficult to be certain.

6 minutes ago, Brad Gamma said:

Hi,

The sprues are visible on the GW website, and I think I can only see 10 combinations of bits which would suggest that you do need to build the grot-chomping one, but without the instruction booklet or hands on experience, its difficult to be certain.

I did  bit of a search on google/youtube, and take my words with a pinch o salt, but I seem that the squigs itself does note have a lot of options😅

Have you thought to use the Hopper instead?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brad Gamma said:

Hi,

You get one grot-in-mouth squig a box.  Good luck finding that bit, because I imagine most folks are using it in their units.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, RaritanAnon said:

Yknow, I hadn't considering bringing max squig herds along mainly because of how easy it is to kill them. Even at 2 wounds, they'll get smacked by just about anything and lose their 6+. I will say, they're great and nearly always perform well when I take them. Even in units of 12. So maybe there's merit to that. I'm gonna continue tinkering but I like where your heads at. Also I want an excuse to run Troggs and Squigs in the same list lol. 

Ever since the Gloomspite book released I have been pretty positive that the Squig Herd unit is really one of the hidden gems of the book.  I am still convinced that is true.

Something I continually see missing from lists build with Squig Herds are the Snufflers.  Something to keep in mind is that the +1 attack buff from Snufflers can be put onto any Squig unit.  Given the small base size and the amount of models you can get to attack with a Squig Herd it is a pretty nasty buff to drop onto a big unit.  There is obviously the concern about Squigs outrunning the Snufflers if you are using all of the movement buffs available, but this is still a game primarily about objectives and with planning you should be able to figure out ahead of time where your big units are going and try to get your snufflers in position for when those squig herds hit combat.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brad Gamma said:

Hi Git-Collectors :)

Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere, it was a bit tricky to search for.

In the Squig herd box set, one squig is pictured with a grot trapped in its mouth. Does the sprue contain enough pieces that you could construct the full 10 squigs without this variation? I want to use them in a non-grot based conversion.

Thank you!

No.  However, that model is designed in such a way that with a bit of work you can remove the grot.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Skabnoze said:

Ever since the Gloomspite book released I have been pretty positive that the Squig Herd unit is really one of the hidden gems of the book.  I am still convinced that is true.

Something I continually see missing from lists build with Squig Herds are the Snufflers.  Something to keep in mind is that the +1 attack buff from Snufflers can be put onto any Squig unit.  Given the small base size and the amount of models you can get to attack with a Squig Herd it is a pretty nasty buff to drop onto a big unit.  There is obviously the concern about Squigs outrunning the Snufflers if you are using all of the movement buffs available, but this is still a game primarily about objectives and with planning you should be able to figure out ahead of time where your big units are going and try to get your snufflers in position for when those squig herds hit combat.

I'm kind of agreeing that squig herds are very good. No save is rubbish and are very vulnerable to bravery but they do alot of damage. Had a unit of 12 kill a chaos Lord on mount in a single round no problem.   So long as you have a cp and character near to auto pass I think they are a decent anvil unit with some teeth! (Luls)

Going back to the loonboss on giant squig that was mentioned above what are people's thoughts on making him the general and dead shouty for the trait? 1 free cp each battle round to use his +3 movement without reducing his pool could be pretty strong.  

Don’t forget that we get a Loonshrine for free and it has an always-on immune to battleshock aura.  You should be able to position it ahead of time so that a portion of your force will battle near enough to make use of it.

In addition, Squig Herd are fairly self-sufficient.  They have access to a fair amount of buffs but I don’t think they always need them.  So with careful use we should be able to use CPs to mitigate the worst cases of battleshock.

6 minutes ago, Gumbalina said:

Going back to the loonboss on giant squig that was mentioned above what are people's thoughts on making him the general and dead shouty for the trait? 1 free cp each battle round to use his +3 movement without reducing his pool could be pretty strong.  

It’s not bad, but I don’t think you will honestly need that ability for too many turns.

I've only had a chance to play one game with them so far, but it wasn't easy to keep huge units of stuff wholly within 12" of the loonshire, because it has to be a few inches into your own deployment zone.  At least for my game, I couldn't afford to sit back and get shot away so I had to move things up into his face ASAP.  As for the squig herd, I don't mind them running off and doing mortal wounds- it's far preferable to them dying in combat where you don't get the 4+ MWs.  

Anyway, back to that game I mentioned, once I GOT in oh man they look good.  It's hard to move 120 grots up a board quickly but I had almost every opposing unit all netted up and -1 to hit with two max units of grots spread out pretty well. 

26 minutes ago, DINOSTAR said:

I've only had a chance to play one game with them so far, but it wasn't easy to keep huge units of stuff wholly within 12" of the loonshire, because it has to be a few inches into your own deployment zone.  At least for my game, I couldn't afford to sit back and get shot away so I had to move things up into his face ASAP.  As for the squig herd, I don't mind them running off and doing mortal wounds- it's far preferable to them dying in combat where you don't get the 4+ MWs.  

Anyway, back to that game I mentioned, once I GOT in oh man they look good.  It's hard to move 120 grots up a board quickly but I had almost every opposing unit all netted up and -1 to hit with two max units of grots spread out pretty well. 

I would not expect to get too much near it - but you should be able to get it near an objective that you can park at least one key unit on.  And it is a lot easier to keep 24 squigs in that bubble than 60 grots.

In regards to grots, bear in mind that the netters effect models nearby - not full units.  With good positioning you can still make sure the buff catches a lot of models though.

Edited by Skabnoze

5 hours ago, DINOSTAR said:

Were the squig herd ability a guaranteed mortal wound, I'd be down for it, but it's a coin flip. I think the situation is thus. In my combat phase, I rather they run, in the opponents phase, I rather they live. But with the Loonshrine you can't argue. It says 'Does not take battleshock tests', not that you can choose to anyway. And I nearly always slap my squigs near the shrine. 

I'm not sold on the Squigboss either though. His command ability will be used once, maybe twice at all, and he's not exactly the best hero. He's pretty average. He does have reroll failed saves and a possible double damage on the charge though. On that, do you roll the d3 and then double the outcome, or do you roll 2d3?

1 hour ago, RaritanAnon said:

I'm not sold on the Squigboss either though. His command ability will be used once, maybe twice at all, and he's not exactly the best hero. He's pretty average. He does have reroll failed saves and a possible double damage on the charge though. On that, do you roll the d3 and then double the outcome, or do you roll 2d3?

I think you are discounting how massive movement is in Age of Sigmar.  It is arguably more important than combat ability.

Yes, he is probably only going to use that ability a couple times during the game, but those can be really important turns.

As for the double damage ability, functionally you would double the result of the d3 roll.  Realistically you will hardly ever see the ability trigger (I only just now realized the ability existed) and you can honestly forget that it is on the warscroll.

He might not be the best hero in the game, but I think he is pretty good in the context of a Squig-based list and fairly important for that reason.  Your mileage may vary though.

• Like 1

Both of the command abilities from the Loonbosses that are riding squigs (Mangler and Giant Squigs) effect all squig units including themselves.  The list of target units is:  Squig Herd, Squig Hoppers, Boingrot Bounders, Loonboss on Mangler Squig, Loonboss on Giant Squig, Mangler Squig, Colossal Squig, Squig Gobba.  It is worth remembering that both of the Forgeworld Squig units can use these buffs.  In addition, both Forgeworld Squig units (Colossal and the Gobba) have the Moonclan keyword so they can also get moonclan buffs such as the Sneaky Snufflers.

Edited by Skabnoze

So does the sneaky snuffler buff work on the mount attacks of a unit, it said it add 1 attack on melee weapons but units like bounder say that they are armed with lances but the jaw attacks are coming from their squig. So if they where buff by the snuffler, would it be an additional attack for both weapon profile or just the lances?

I know it work on squigs because they are armed with their own jaw as said on their warscroll card

13 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

The only rules that by default do not apply to Mounts are:

- Command Traits

- Artefacts

Other rules may specify that they do not apply to Mounts, but if they do not specify that, then they affect the entire unit / model / profile.

If command traits do not apply to mounts without directly stating so then the “bite da moon” command ability on the mangler boss does not work on Squig attacks for Bounders, hoppers, the mangler Squig attacks, or the giant Squig attacks.  

But that does not really make sense as the ability is obviously intended to effect Squig attacks.  The flavor text mentions squigs but the rules do not make a mount exception.

EDIT:  ignore this post  because I am dumb

Edited by Skabnoze

C'mon @Skabnoze, I even put it in bold in my original post for emphasis :D

Page 15 of the Core Rules for reference.

To be fair, GW did get confused on this distinction themselves.  They originally printed it as Artefacts and Command Abilities in GH17, then had to FAQ it to Artefacts and Command Traits.

Edited by PlasticCraic