AoS 2 - Gloomspite Gitz Discussion

S133arcanite

9 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Since playing against it at heat 1 I'm really in favour of the 24 squig herd block, in for a penny in for a pound. I think 12 is to many for cheap battleline and not enough for a really killy unit. Especially when you consider that the sneaky snufflers can give their buff to the squig herd. 4+/3+/-1/1 Is way better than 5+/2+/-/1.

One of the things about the Squig Herd that I think is sometimes  overlooked is their base size.  They standardized the statline of the squigs in the squig herd, squig hoppers, and boingrot units but both hopper variants are on 32mm bases and the Squig Herd are still on 25 mm.  This means that when you examine the units you should consider that Squig Herd can fight 2 models deep while the squigs from the hopper units can't attack past members of their own unit (although Bounder rider lances can).  It's a subtle thing but it makes a really big difference and it is one of the key reasons that Squig Herds are effective in big units.  You can often get just about all of the squigs to fight even with a max sized unit and the few models you might not get close enough to strike can be the herders (they are terrible anyways).

Hey, 

I've finally finished with my army and need opinions on it, here it is as of now-

Allegiance: Destruction

Leaders

Skragrott - General - The great green spite

Fungoid cave-shaman - Hand of Gork

Loonboss - Spiteful Prodder

Webspinner shaman (On Arachnarok spider) - Totem of the Spider god - Venomous Spiderlings

Battleline
60 x Stabbas 

7 x Squig Herd
Units

x5 Loonsmasha Fanatics

x10 Boingrot Bounderz

x6 Sneaky Snufflers

x6 Sneaky Snufflers

x10 Spider Riders

x5 Sporesplatter Fanatics

Endless Spells

Mork's Mighty Mushroom
Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 175

So here's my thinking, the Stabbas are the bulk of my army, I can buff them with a unit of sneaky snufflers and the Sporesplatters to get them to 3 attacks each, I'll put the spore splatters in front of a hero to protect them from long range shooting, my Loonsmasha's will be in either the Stabbas or a unit of sneaky snufflers to protect them... I'll just have to see what works best from playing. My Boingrot's could be hand of gork'd behind the enemy or on an objective. The Arachnarok spider and spider riders will stick together, the shaman, giving the riders the 5+ mortal wounds buff. Imagine venom of the spider gods, totem of the spider gods and the snufflers buff... that's a lot of damage! As for the other sneaky snufflers, they could buff the spider riders for some mortals wounds or just be a backup for the Stabbas, maybe I've heard the 2D6 can be worth it? I've chosen the great green spite, spiteful prodder, and venomous spiderlings to add some more mortal wound output. Mork's Mushroom will hopefully add to board control and is just a good endless spell. Oh, and the 7 squig herd is just because I bought them, love Squigs and had 80 points left over! Everything is basically already bought and built apart from the Sporesplatter's and one unit of sneaky snufflers. The only downside I can see is maybe there are not enough 'tanks' apart from the Arachnarok, could maybe get rid of a few things for a mangler? Also, there could be too many supports. Would love to see your guys opinions and what you would change! 

1 hour ago, ItzMercy said:

As for the other sneaky snufflers, they could buff the spider riders for some mortals wounds

Isn't it restricted to moonclan only. Also pretty sure squig herd is units of 6. You are short a battleline, need 3.

Have you got another 6 squigs, could drop a snuffler unit for another herd to get the battleline requirement. Unfortunately that cuts into the spiteful prodded as snufflers are fantastic for that extra dice.

Last question, where are you getting the second artefact from?

I always suggest using the warscroll builder on the warhammer community site. It's way better than anything else I've seen.

5 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Isn't it restricted to moonclan only. Also pretty sure squig herd is units of 6. You are short a battleline, need 3.

Have you got another 6 squigs, could drop a snuffler unit for another herd to get the battleline requirement. Unfortunately that cuts into the spiteful prodded as snufflers are fantastic for that extra dice.

Last question, where are you getting the second artefact from?

I always suggest using the warscroll builder on the warhammer community site. It's way better than anything else I've seen.

Yes sorry I meant 6, i do have another 6 squigs... and yeah just checked it's moonclan only rip. Still good for squigs I guess? And what do you mean second artefact?

2 minutes ago, ItzMercy said:

Yes sorry I meant 6, i do have another 6 squigs... and yeah just checked it's moonclan only rip. Still good for squigs I guess? And what do you mean second artefact?

You have both spiteful prodder and totem of the spider god. Two artefacts, you get one native and one for each battalion. Since you don't have a battalion you can only have 1.

Just now, Malakree said:

You have both spiteful prodder and totem of the spider god. Two artefacts, you get one native and one for each battalion. Since you don't have a battalion you can only have 1.

Ahh, sorry, this is my first ever army as I'm new to warhammer so I'm still quite unsure about them things!

4 minutes ago, ItzMercy said:

Ahh, sorry, this is my first ever army as I'm new to warhammer so I'm still quite unsure about them things!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/warscroll-builder/

This is what I use to build lists. It will check all your various restrictions like battleline, allies, artefacts etc. So that you know your list is legal.

If you click the little ? At the top it will also bring up your list in a nice format. Push the copy button at the bottom of that window and you can copy it as text. It's great for putting on a forum or in a word document to print off!

Overall I think you might find you're trying to do to much but each of the pieces works fine and gives you a flexible force.

Drop the 6 snufflers for 6 squig herd and dump the spiteful prodder. Solves both those issues in a clean way which doesn't hurt the list.

Allegiance: Gloomspite Gitz

Leaders
Skragrott, The Loonking (220)
- General
- Lore of the Moonclans: The Great Green Spite
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Lore of the Moonclans: The Hand of Gork
Loonboss (70)
Webspinner Shaman on Arachnarok Spider (300)
- Artefact: Totem of the Spider God 
- Lore of the Spiderfangs: Venomous Spiderlings

Battleline
60 x Stabbas (360)
- Pokin Spears & Moon Shields
6 x Squig Herd (70)
6 x Squig Herd (70)
10 x Spider Riders (200)

Units
5 x Sporesplatta Fanatics (120)
6 x Sneaky Snufflers (70)
5 x Loonsmasha Fanatics (140)
10 x Boingrot Bounderz (200)

Endless Spells
Mork's Mighty Mushroom (80)

Total: 1990 / 2000

Is the result. Only mistake is it thinks skragrott makes spider riders battleline which he shouldn't.

7 minutes ago, Malakree said:

Leaders
Skragrott, The Loonking (220)
- General
- Lore of the Moonclans: The Great Green Spite
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Lore of the Moonclans: The Hand of Gork
Loonboss (70)
Webspinner Shaman on Arachnarok Spider (300)
- Artefact: Totem of the Spider God 
- Lore of the Spiderfangs: Venomous Spiderlings

Battleline
60 x Stabbas (360)
6 x Squig Herd (70)
6 x Squig Herd (70)
10 x Spider Riders (200)

Units
5 x Sporesplatta Fanatics (120)
6 x Sneaky Snufflers (70)

Endless Spells
Mork's Mighty Mushroom (80)

Total: 1990 / 2000

Is the result. Only mistake is it thinks skragrott makes spider riders battleline which he shouldn't.

Thank you so much! Helps alot, what's the difference between the artefacts and like The hand of gork and great green spite?

Also without the artefact does this make my loonboss useless? Should I keep him?

Edited by ItzMercy

After some testing and jiggering, I've happened upon a list I'm kinda happy about, and based on how my last game went against FEC, I think I need more options for MW.  Scuttletide is mad overlooked, imo, because it has near infinite range. Just 6" of a terrain piece.  And has 10 chances to cause mortal wounds. Pretty nifty for its cost. My alternative, against horde style armies, is to take Mork's,  as it's pretty equally brutal if you roll for a decent range. Anyway, here's what I got so far.

Mortal Realm: Ghur
Loonboss on Mangler Squigs (300)
- General
- Trait: Fight Another Day 
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm 
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Lore of the Moonclans: Squig Lure
Loonboss (70)
- Artefact: The Pipes of Doom 
12 x Squig Herd (140)
12 x Squig Herd (140)
40 x Stabbas (260)
Mangler Squigs (240)
Squig Rider Stampede (140)
Scuttletide (30)

Total: 1950 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Wounds: 166

Should I swap the Loonboss out for one with a Giant Cave Squig, you think? Or is the extra command point all worth it? He's just going to hang with the Stabbas next to my shrine, regardless. I could also swap him for a Madcap shaman, maybe? What do you guys think

3 hours ago, RaritanAnon said:

Should I swap the Loonboss out for one with a Giant Cave Squig, you think? Or is the extra command point all worth it? He's just going to hang with the Stabbas next to my shrine, regardless. I could also swap him for a Madcap shaman, maybe? What do you guys think

In my opinion, swap the Loonboss + Mangler Squigs to 15 Boingrot Bounderz + Cogs or Cauldron. 

Cauldron allow you to Hand of gork your stabbas with fanatics in it. 

Loonboss is not worth it in this list with only 40 stabbas. 

43 minutes ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

@ItzMercy

replace “venomous spiderlings” with scuttling terrors to make then spiders run and charge, or sneaky distraction for a -1 to hit bubble of 12”. Either are worlds better then the spiderlings, from a competitive standpoint.

Thanks, I've gone with scuttling terrors because you can shoot aswell!

Hey, few questions for my army, is totem of the spider god worth having since it's what the bad moon does anyway if you're lucky enough to be in it? Should I change the artefact or maybe even give one to my Loonboos instead of my arachnarok? Also what's better, Scuttletide and Cauldron or Mork's mighty mushroom? (Could replace Cauldron with another endless spell up to 60 points like the Malevolent Moon.) One last thing, in my army I'm going to have two x7 units of squig heard simply to have 3 battlelines, what should I use these for? I assume they won't do much damage, should I use them as objective holders maybe? Thank in advance!

Ok i’ve Hit a wall in my list. Basically I want to fit in the Scuttletide and I need to drop 10 points off my list in order to do so. Annoying. Is swapping a Fungoid Shaman for a Mapcap Shaman worth it to have Scuttletide in the list? Obvs the Fungoid Shaman is superior to the Mapcap, it’s just whether the less optimal wizard is worth the better spell. 

On 3/9/2019 at 12:31 AM, ItzMercy said:

Hey, this is probably in the wrong place, but its the only forum I use :P Is there any rules about having too many points, like say we're playing a 2000 points game and I have 2030 points, what happens? Is there a handicap I would get? And if it is allowed to go over, what's the maximum points you would be able to go over? Asking because I want to fit another unit of Boingrots in but 30 point short! Thanks!

Your opponent gets a free Roshambo for each point over 😉

You cannot go over in matched play unless you and your opponent have discussed it and agreed to the overage.  The best thing to do is up the max by 50-100 for each of you.  That way it allows you both to add what you'd like. 

In matched play, when you are under the points cap, whoever is under the bar by the most gets a single use buff called a Triumph.  This buff is a re-roll for a unit for either hit rolls, wound rolls, or save rolls.  A d6 roll determines which.  1-2 hits, 3-4 wounds, 5-6 saves.

4 hours ago, Matt Large said:

Ok i’ve Hit a wall in my list. Basically I want to fit in the Scuttletide and I need to drop 10 points off my list in order to do so. Annoying. Is swapping a Fungoid Shaman for a Mapcap Shaman worth it to have Scuttletide in the list? Obvs the Fungoid Shaman is superior to the Mapcap, it’s just whether the less optimal wizard is worth the better spell. 

The 2-3 cp FCS will generate are way more valuable then a scuttletide spell. It’s literally worth 100-150 free points. Take the FCS. There isn’t ANYWHERE you can find 10 points??

Not without taking units out that I would other wise want to keep. Here’s my list anyhow, I wanted to avoid changing it much if possible, the shaman swap seemed like the easiest one. 

Skragrott - General - Hand of Gork

Mangler Loonboss - Gryph Charm

Fungoid Shaman - Great Green Spite

Loonboss

60 Stabbas

20 Stabbas

12 Squig Herd

10 Bounderz

5 Loonsmashas

5 Loonsmashas 

6 Sneaky Snufflers

Mighty Mushroom

Geminids

Quicksilver Swords

2000 Points

basically, wanted to swap the Swords for the Scuttletide.

Edited by Matt Large
added spells, artefacts and general

I would honestly drop the second unit of Loonsmasha Fanatics that are going into the small unit of 20 stabbas.  You could either change them into Sporesplatta Fanatics, which could help protect the Loonboss & Fungoid while buffing the big block of Stabbas and then charging into combat against targets of opportunity or to assist the Stabbas.  Or you could simply drop the second Loonsmasha unit entirely and put those points somewhere else such as boosting the 20 stabbas to 40 and swapping out the spell you want.

Swapping the Fungoid to a Madcap is not that bad.  The Madcap is more vulnerable, so you will need to protect him more than you would a Fungoid, but he has a more useful spell on his warscroll than the Fungoid does.  However, looking at your list it seems like you will want to use a good chunk of command points on some turns, and for battleshock, and so you will probably want the Fungoid for CP generation.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Matt Large said:

Loonboss

12 Squig Herd

5 Loonsmashas

5 Loonsmashas

I would look at these 4 units as ways of getting points back. What do you want them to do (especially the Squig Herd). It looks like it's there for battleline 'tax' but is neither small enough to be sacrificial or big enough for a hammer. Loonboss - try him and see if you like his ability. If he's not the general (I assume Skagrott will be) his ability is a bit more difficult to use - especially if you charge or Hand of Gork the unit of 60.

I would also echo @Skabnozeon the fanatics... consider dropping one, or trying the Sporesplatta fanatics to get the 20 points.

Cheers for the feedback.

I suppose I liked the Fanatics in both units because it makes even the 20 strong unit a threat, especially when Hand of Gork comes into play. If I were to just have the one unit, I suppose it makes sense for it to go in the 60 strong unit. Sporesplattas are "ok", I've tried them a few times now. I suppose they just fit a different role to the fanatics I am used to. Here's an update to the list, with a few new things changed in (in bold).  Looking at it, I think its probably an improvement. 

Skragrott - General - Hand of Gork

Mangler Loonboss - Gryph Charm

Fungoid Shaman - Great Green Spite

Madcap Shaman - Itchy Nuisance 

60 Stabbas

20 Stabbas

12 Squig Herd

10 Boingrot Bounderz

5 Loonsmasha Fanatics 

5 Sporesplatta Fanatics 

6 Sneaky Snufflers

Mighty Mushroom